Author Topic: Is German a hard language to learn?  (Read 7537 times)

Balloon

• Getbig III
Is German a hard language to learn?
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:06:44 PM »
For a native english speaker, what are the tough aspects of learning German?

A lot of the words are similar to english words but the pronunciation and grammar seem tough.

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
Re: Is German a hard language to learn?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 08:14:17 PM »
I believe it should be one of the easiest languages to learn for an English speaker, because English is derived from German.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 08:20:33 PM »

Learn mandarin
G

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:30:51 PM »
Should be a piece of cake. This dude learned to speak it...

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »
Because I some practice have had, Can I the word order usually right get.

You'll have to come to terms with that and verbs & prepositions that affect adjective/article endings etc.

Luckily, most Germans speak good English. Donkey Kong was (sniff) the shining example & Stark is the steaming exception.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 01:24:52 AM »
wannsee conference

Jon Harridan

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • My dog fucks the little girl fivesilvernickels.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 01:26:11 AM »
Learn mandarin

Yeah, then you can converse with her.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 01:31:29 AM »
that little shit got to be talking english right

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 01:34:42 AM »
For a native english speaker, what are the tough aspects of learning German?

A lot of the words are similar to english words but the pronunciation and grammar seem tough.
not really hard but i live here  ;D

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 02:28:20 AM »
Because I some practice have had, Can I the word order usually right get.

You'll have to come to terms with that and verbs & prepositions that affect adjective/article endings etc.

Luckily, most Germans speak good English. Donkey Kong was (sniff) the shining example & Stark is the steaming exception.

That's definitely not what I experienced while going there  ???
from incomplete data

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 02:32:18 AM »
That's definitely not what I experienced while going there  ???
most Germans speak "school English" and itīs not very good. Very basic stuff.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:42:52 AM »
most Germans speak "school English" and itīs not very good. Very basic stuff.

I'd say it's honestly embarrassing just how bad some of them were at english, some could not even string a single sentence together. At least west germany has been under western/american influence for quite some time now, how are they not any better at english??
from incomplete data

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 02:49:48 AM »
Yeah, then you can converse with her.
Is this a trap?

G

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 02:53:35 AM »
I'd say it's honestly embarrassing just how bad some of them were at english, some could not even string a single sentence together. At least west germany has been under western/american influence for quite some time now, how are they not any better at english??
A good question. The Germans i know who were interested in the UK or US speak good English and had contact to English or american people(mainly soldiers). East Germans mainly speak Russian and Polish because in school they learned Russian. When i was in school here in Hannover learning sport admin (sport und fitnesskaufmann) i was the only non German and they had to learn English too so they could learn Business English. It never went that far, the English they learned was really,really basic. I helped a few people with it. if they had to learn what i learned in their language they would not understand anything. I of course had the advantage of a German wife and so learned fairly fast but my wife speaks fluent English too with a scottish dialect  ;) my two sons speak German and English too,they went to German schools.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 03:02:56 AM »
itīs funny because i write German every day and it crosses over sometimes and i have to correct my own English spelling ???

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 03:04:35 AM »
I've been living here for close to 5 years, I've taught in an academic high school and I currently teach business English to executives in an international medical tech company.

German was hard for me to learn, and from what I've seen, hard for other native English speakers to learn in comparison to languages like Spanish or French.

The vocab can at times be very similar if not the same. The grammar and cases make it hard going, and 3 genders for every noun complicates things a lot more than 2 do for something like French. That said, if you can immerse yourself, you can get to a reasonable standard pretty quickly. The earlier you learn, the better. One other thing I notice I have huge issues with. If you can think in an ordered fashion, it makes things easier. German is a language where, in order to form a sentence correctly, you have to know how you're going to finish before you start. It all happens in microseconds on a subconscious level, but if you're like me and have no idea what you want to say until you start talking, you can have a hell of a time with articles, cases and word order in German.

One thing I've noticed here and nowhere else in Europe. If you try and speak German and fuck it up, the Germans will pretty much always correct you. If you go to France (not Paris), and fuck up their beautiful language, they will love you for at least trying to speak it (in my experience). Italy too. In Germany you have to prepare yourself for a language lesson from some grumpy fucker.

Something else I notice (at least where I am) - you can have the tiniest mispronounciation of a word and no-body will understand you. I was talking about iPads yesterday and was calling them 'tablet computers'. No-one had a clue what I was saying until someone said "Ach - Tepplet!". It's not so different, but it happens all the freaking time - and my German accent is usually very good.

Germans speak terrible English in comparison to their northern neighbours and to Switzerland. Much better than Italians and Spaniards, but the general level of English here is a lot worse than you would expect. I'm sure it has to do with having all their films and television shows dubbed into German, instead of having original language with subtitles like in Holland and Scandinavia.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 03:30:43 AM »
Yes - a tough one. Even though it's my mother tongue I have problems on some of the constructs. I really prefer English but for certain fields of use, like poems, Deutsch/German is unbeatable in power, drama and expression.
"Austrian" is minimally different and only if you take Mundart/slang into account.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 04:50:07 AM »
german is one of the hardest languages to learn.

english is constructed many times easier.

yes Germans even have difficulty with their own Grammer i saw this too in school... I make mistakes too in my German Grammer but i mean who is perfekt ? "Der,Die,Das...this is the Question.. ;D

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 05:00:36 AM »
I'd say it's honestly embarrassing just how bad some of them were at english,

for you or them?
c

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 05:01:52 AM »
for you or them?

hey my english might not be perfect either, but at least I can make myself understood.
from incomplete data

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 05:06:18 AM »
hey my english might not be perfect either, but at least I can make myself understood.
exactly

closeline

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 05:29:24 AM »
Yes - a tough one. Even though it's my mother tongue I have problems on some of the constructs. I really prefer English but for certain fields of use, like poems, Deutsch/German is unbeatable in power, drama and expression.
"Austrian" is minimally different and only if you take Mundart/slang into account.

german is very precise language, that makes it difficult

on the other hand this precision is needed to express difficult things in a precise manner
this may be the reason why germany has the leading position in all aspecs of science for hundrets of years now.

for more simple everyday conversation of the "regular people" the germans have a lot of simplified versions, no one her would understand even if he s an german teacher by himself

and like galain wrote - you have to think before you start speaking

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 06:09:32 AM »
I'm sure it has to do with having all their films and television shows dubbed into German, instead of having original language with subtitles like in Holland and Scandinavia.

all?
dont they make any film or TV of their own?
c

mik1111

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 06:16:53 AM »
german is way harder to learn than most other languages... way too hard for it to ever be used globally.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 06:24:06 AM »
all?
dont they make any film or TV of their own?
yes they make German films and tv series for TV..but the US and other films are dubbed in German...although Robert De niro sounds oK in German... ;D