Author Topic: Christian Fundamentalists and Neo Cons  (Read 3301 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: Christian Fundamentalists and Neo Cons
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »
Nothing, problem is the GOP will never nominate a guy like that.

See Ron Paul.
Exactly.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
So you don't think there's anyway they'll compromise on running peoples lives and policing the world to gain thousands of voters? ???

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »
So you don't think there's anyway they'll compromise on running peoples lives and policing the world to gain thousands of voters? ???
Nope.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »
Nothing, problem is the GOP will never nominate a guy like that.

See Ron Paul.

you disagree w 95% of what RP stands for 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 07:54:10 PM »
If it comes down to another Rick Santorum, or Romney I'll vote democratic out of spite.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 04:14:37 AM »
Here's some data indicating that going forward, social conservatism is going to damage Republican prospects ever further, given the increasingly wide divergence between its views and what most Americans think. I'm too lazy to post the data by age, but it reinforces my conclusion ever further by indicating that all of the below issues are generational: that is, the younger generation holds very liberal views, the older generation conservative views. This means that as the old generation "exits the stage," so to speak, the general population's conservative leanings with regard to social issues are going to tick downward in a big way.

I got the data from PollingReports.com and created the shitty graphs at some free kids website, lol.

Washington Post/Kaiser Family Foundation Poll. July 25-Aug. 5, 2012. N=3,130 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 2.
Organized religious groups of all kinds should stay out of politics. OR, It is important for organized religious groups to stand up for their beliefs in politics." Options rotated
Stay Out: 55%; Stand Up: 42%

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 07:41:16 AM »
Here's some data indicating that going forward, social conservatism is going to damage Republican prospects ever further, given the increasingly wide divergence between its views and what most Americans think. I'm too lazy to post the data by age, but it reinforces my conclusion ever further by indicating that all of the below issues are generational: that is, the younger generation holds very liberal views, the older generation conservative views. This means that as the old generation "exits the stage," so to speak, the general population's conservative leanings with regard to social issues are going to tick downward in a big way.

I got the data from PollingReports.com and created the shitty graphs at some free kids website, lol.

It's as I always say... Young people don't hate the gays and they don't think abortion is "evil".

None of the fundamentalists believe me... Then 2012 happens and they blame it on the "moderate".

::)

Purge_WTF

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 07:54:03 AM »
 Unfortunately, Holmes is right. The people who were dropping acid on Haight Ashbury in the 60's are now in the White House, and abominable things like gay marriage and unrestricted abortion become more acceptable as time goes on.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »
Unfortunately, Holmes is right. The people who were dropping acid on Haight Ashbury in the 60's are now in the White House, and abominable things like gay marriage and unrestricted abortion become more acceptable as time goes on.

fyi - we don't have unrestricted abortion in this country

obviously gay marriage is an abomination.  Can you tell us how it has wreaked it's destructive power on your life?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »

So the Republicans would be smart to look towards Economic Conservatives that are Socially Liberal or Center?

???

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 11:24:33 AM »
As far as an issue like abortion or gay marriage go, from a Christian/Biblical point of view.  Is it considered sinful for a "Christian" politician to acknowledge that he doesn't personally support it, but that he isn't going to make that choice for others?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »
As far as an issue like abortion or gay marriage go, from a Christian/Biblical point of view.  Is it considered sinful for a "Christian" politician to acknowledge that he doesn't personally support it, but that he isn't going to make that choice for others?
based on the "new testament" alone, my interpretation of the viewpoint would be complete anarchy.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 01:09:54 PM »

I think the argument would be "YES", in some circles, if the tactic is passively allowing laws that endorse such without fighting them and standing up for life and traditional marriage.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 01:10:35 PM »
So the Republicans would be smart to look towards Economic Conservatives that are Socially Liberal or Center?

???

Unless there is some sort of religious revival or "awakening" (certainly not unheard of) among the youth, the current trends suggest Republicans will need to nominate socially moderate/liberal candidates in order to be competitive; presumably such candidates will come from either the 'establishment' moderate or libertarian camps. (To the extent that social issues matter to voters, that is. It's conceivable that for certain elections they will vote solely on the basis of economic policy, in which case social conservatism would not be a negative. But it's hard to imagine social issues being totally irrelevant, and thus Republicans are still safer jettisoning social conservatism from their platform).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »
Unless there is some sort of religious revival or "awakening" (certainly not unheard of) among the youth, the current trends suggest Republicans will need to nominate socially moderate/liberal candidates in order to be competitive; presumably such candidates will come from either the 'establishment' moderate or libertarian camps.

One could argue that Romney came from that camp. But, how many Dems are you going to peel off?

Again, to cite Rush, do you think the Dems are going to give up their gay-rights/amnesty voters to the Republicans?

NOPE!!

Remember that a lot of moderate Republicans took a beating this past election. Some will say it's because they were painted as "far right", even if they weren't.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2013, 01:16:46 PM »
One could argue that Romney came from that camp. But, how many Dems are you going to peel off?

Again, to cite Rush, do you think the Dems are going to give up their gay-rights/amnesty voters to the Republicans?

NOPE!!

Remember that a lot of moderate Republicans took a beating this past election. Some will say it's because they were painted as "far right", even if they weren't.

They are painted as far right because that's the direction that they had to move.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2013, 02:20:54 PM »

1. Yes, I think it's fair to say Romney was a candidate derived from the moderate 'establishment' camp. That he didn't win doesn't mean that a social conservative would have done better; in fact, the data I cite (and lots more that I didn't) indicates that a social conservative ala Santorum would have done significantly worse.

2. How many Dems would start voting Republican if the latter abandoned social conservatism entirely? I don't know; maybe a small contingent, maybe large -- it's an empirical matter either way. I could imagine some Blue Dog Democrats switching over if they support fiscal conservatism but were turned off by Republican social conservatism.

But it isn't an especially important question, since only 31% of Americans are Democrats anyway. At 37%, independents are the largest block of voters (Republicans clock in at a measly 29%). So the question ought to be, "how many independents would such a change in the Republican party attract?" And I think that a fair amount would switch. I am an example of one, so I know they exist: I'd be willing to give genuine fiscal conservatism a try, but won't vote for repealing Roe v Wade nor suppressing gay rights, especially not on the basis of millenia old goat herder opinion steeped in the false certainty of "divine" inspiration.

NOPE!!

3. As I've already indicated, what Dems do isn't particularly important: what matters is how many of the somewhat ill-informed independents in the middle -- the largest voting block -- such a move would attract. And I think it would be sizable, even if social issues aren't what people generally emphasize most when deciding who to vote for.

Republicans will probably lose votes if they jettison social conservatism; evangelicals and their political conspecifics may well not accept a move toward social liberalism. Republicans will also lose votes if they bake any or all elements of social conservatism into their platform. The point of the data seems to be that they will lose more voters holding onto such conservatism than they will keeping it (since the stock of people who believe in social conservatism is getting smaller and smaller). It isn't an enviable position to be in, but the former is apparently the least worst choice.

2. Rush's mistake in formulating his views is assuming the rest of the country thinks like the political class ( the media, politicians, activists). The fact is, his audience is an extremely small segment of both the population and eligible voters, and so goes it with all the freaks on cable news as well. As I already said, most voters are rather ignorant men and women with no party affiliation and relatively moderate views.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »
you disagree w 95% of what RP stands for 

So does the neocons thats the problem.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2013, 05:23:32 PM »
Unless there is some sort of religious revival or "awakening" (certainly not unheard of) among the youth, the current trends suggest Republicans will need to nominate socially moderate/liberal candidates in order to be competitive; presumably such candidates will come from either the 'establishment' moderate or libertarian camps. (To the extent that social issues matter to voters, that is. It's conceivable that for certain elections they will vote solely on the basis of economic policy, in which case social conservatism would not be a negative. But it's hard to imagine social issues being totally irrelevant, and thus Republicans are still safer jettisoning social conservatism from their platform).

Good to know, I hope you're right

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2013, 03:02:47 AM »
Jon Huntsman blew Mitt and Rick S. away.  He was ignored...
What didn't you like about Huntsman?

G

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2013, 04:48:15 AM »
If it comes down to another Rick Santorum, or Romney I'll vote democratic out of spite.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Sack up and vote Gary Johnson like a man.

Then again, you like RINO Huntsman so you're really just a Dem anyway. Part of the system and part of the problem.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2013, 04:55:03 AM »
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Sack up and vote Gary Johnson like a man.

Then again, you like RINO Huntsman so you're really just a Dem anyway. Part of the system and part of the problem.
pip has a valid point with what he just said without it translating to him being a Rino supporter.  

3333 and other hardcore righties made the same kind of "either, or" arguments in this last election.  I can't blame PiP for saying fuck that when it comes to the ultra religious and neocon types they're putting forward.  

Republicans need to dump neocons and religious nuts and just go back to common sense conservatism and you'll see hordes bail from the moderate left to back that bandwagon.  Might sound crazy but it's true. I'd bet money on that candidate if he/she existed.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2013, 05:18:22 AM »
pip has a valid point with what he just said without it translating to him being a Rino supporter.  

3333 and other hardcore righties made the same kind of "either, or" arguments in this last election.  I can't blame PiP for saying fuck that when it comes to the ultra religious and neocon types they're putting forward.  

Republicans need to dump neocons and religious nuts and just go back to common sense conservatism and you'll see hordes bail from the moderate left to back that bandwagon.  Might sound crazy but it's true.

Understandable, but people like that are perpetuating this situation. Because of people like that, guys like Ron Paul and Gary Johnson are forced to label themselves as Republicans. It ensures two party rule.

Voting Dem out of spite is still voting for the economic destruction of this country. He's just as responsible for that as the scumbags in office.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 05:30:30 AM »
Understandable, but people like that are perpetuating this situation. Because of people like that, guys like Ron Paul and Gary Johnson are forced to label themselves as Republicans. It ensures two party rule.

Voting Dem out of spite is still voting for the economic destruction of this country. He's just as responsible for that as the scumbags in office.
Pip is a pretty big Ron Paul supporter.  He hasn't perpetuated anything by bringing this up.  This is shit that should be brought up.  Republicans are killing themselves with the religious and hardcore neocon bullshit when they could just go right back to simple conservatism and score a horde of moderates from the left while the pissed off freaks on the right wouldn't have a choice but to also vote for him. (not a mormon because mormons will vote for christians but many christians still won't vote for a mormon... sorry but true...)

It's time for republicans to ignore the nuts on the right and force the party toward a simple common sense conservative candidate--end of story.  That's the way.

Nothing wrong with that and Americans will back that kind of person if you can still find one.

a candidate similar to Goldwater would get elected in a heartbead today.  Just make sure that candidate is removed from the totally corrupted so called "tea party"  That name is poison now and should be. 

Just go back to traditional conservatism and watch the hordes flock BIGTIME... I'd bet on it...

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2013, 05:33:31 AM »
Pip is a pretty big Ron Paul supporter.  He hasn't perpetuated anything by bringing this up.  This is shit that should be brought up.  Republicans are killing themselves with the religious and hardcore neocon bullshit when they could just go right back to simple conservatism and score a horde of moderates from the left while the pissed off freaks on the right wouldn't have a choice but to also vote for him.

It's time for republicans to ignore the nuts on the right and force the party toward a simple common sense conservative candidate--end of story.  That the way.

Nothing wrong with that and Americans will back that kind of person if you can still find one.

240 also claimed to be a big Ron Paul supporter. Then he couldn't bothered voting for him.

People would make more of a point voting for Johnson than Dem out of spite.