Author Topic: Anyone here train using strict, slow repetitons?  (Read 8951 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Anyone here train using strict, slow repetitons?
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »
This..i do my reps in a rest/pause fashion. it's very advanced and only those who have 18+ muscular arms should try it.

fairly slow, but not stupid slow on the way down...1,2 3 normally...then i rest for a count, usually I'll re-grip the bar and then up fast and explosive. Then I like to jump up scream "YEEEAH MOTHER.F.UCKER !!!!!! THAT"S WHAT"S UP, YOU  BLACK BASTARD!!!!!"...to no one in particular, at the end of the set.
you must have a manly quality physique ;D

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 12:10:51 PM »
Any progress or thoughts on this type of training?
i train with very strict reps, very very slow on the eccentric, but very hard and forceful on the concentric. always always always form as the priority, always always lways squeezing the muscle as hard as possible, contract as strong as possible, very very very slow on the way down. hold at peak contraction for a second.  forceful on the positive.  BOOM. works for me..

slate

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »
Any progress or thoughts on this type of training?

you will reach 380 pounds at 20% bodyfat, claim to be 425 pounds and then die at 33

This video of the artist formerly known as "Tevor Smith" is proof of that

http://www.rxmuscle.com/video/lifestyles-events/7342-trevor-smith-training-legs-never-before-seen-exclusive.html

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 05:44:07 PM »
This..i do my reps in a rest/pause fashion. it's very advanced and only those who have 18+ muscular arms should try it.

Would that be 18" combined?

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 05:48:07 PM »
Would that be 18" combined?

for those less fortunate

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 05:57:14 PM »
Then I like to jump up scream "YEEEAH MOTHER.F.UCKER !!!!!! THAT"S WHAT"S UP, YOU  BLACK BASTARD!!!!!"...to no one in particular, at the end of the set.

This was gold by the way.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »
slow reps dont work on every exercise...
for compound exercises my reps are explosive.....
squats
barbell rows
bench
dumbell presses...
slow doesnt work for me.... nor superfast
moderate... for me
choice is an illusion

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 06:12:19 PM »
12-20 reps for me., I try and make every set count by slowing the set down if I'm not getting the muscle fatigued enough.

too many injuries to go less than 10 reps anymore.  rather just be limber and loose than jacked.

Spidey

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 12:58:51 AM »
i do, for i learned to be afraid of injuries.

i also think i got better results with this aproach.

neither do i ever lock out any koint on any execise, this keeps the contrction up at all times.

when im fully warmed up on a good day i go for more weight and somewhat more explosive reps.

but first and foremost its the fear of injuries.

x2
and it doesn't have to do with age. I'm 28 and i fucked my back doing deads. couldn't walk for 2 days, had to stay home for 1 week!

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 02:35:29 AM »
Mind muscle connection is key as we already know, and to really achieve that you cant just workout fast, but super slow isn't needed either.

I remember in one of Ronnies DVD he talks about how the muscle don't know if you used free weights or a machine etc. as long as you train right the goals are achieved (given your diet and supps are in check too).

So if slow reps, fast reps etc works for you, do it, or mix it up a bit.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 06:43:27 PM »
oh hell yes. going heavy after your 20's is just retarded and begging for an injury. Although you can still hurt yourself doing slow controlled reps if you use the wrong angle, or just train too much. I don't go full ROM on most lifts anymore since the full stretch is where tendons tear and the full contraction is where muscle tears. 90 ROM with constant tension and remove as much wobble from the lift as possible.. pretty much all you can do to stay injury free

If you cant do a lift with slow reps then there's no reason to bother doing the lift.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
from what I have read there's no benefit to it, so I never bothered. just do more reps for time uner tension. For certain isolation movements, it probably makes sense to eliminate momentum.
follow the arrows

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 10:18:09 PM »
and then you go and flush down the toilet all that effort bc of lack of willpower for somewhat proper diet.
:-*

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 10:37:12 PM »
I'm impressed at how much thought you guys give to your rep cadence. Mine are kind of slap dash, and to be honest the results are not ideal. Maybe I'll take a step back and work this shit a little harder.

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 11:00:34 PM »
Good form, forms good muscles!
Mr. AZ 2003

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 02:42:29 AM »
has tbumz finally shaved his hairy shoulders n arms?

slow and squeezy is the only way for anyone with a decade+ of weights abuses

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 06:20:47 AM »
When I stopped playing sports, I tried powerlifting, trying to find a sport with black/white rules on winning/losing.

Now I don't care how strong I am. Really...how much more useful is a 450lb bench versus a 380lb bench in my everyday life? When would those extra 70lbs really be worth it for me?

I do know the amount of risk I have to entertain to get those extra 50lbs. Hurt shoulder, bad elbows, bad neck from driving into the bench...lots of fun. For 70lbs on the bench.

I just don't care anymore.

I'd rather be able to move, be somewhat strong, be able to workout when I want because I'm not hurt. If I train with girl weights, I don't care anymore.

I like slow reps, controlled contractions on positive and negative, and a big stretch and squeeze with full range of motion. I do at least 15 reps per set, but often go up to 25 or even 50 reps per set. Once I started training like that, I didn't need to do stretches or mobility work anymore. All my aches and pains and tightness vanished. I stopped focusing on moving a weight from point A to point B, and focused on making my muscle work over as far a ROM as possible, over as long a period of time as possible. It made a difference in how I look for the better...I know that. Muscles look rounder and fuller. Each little bodypart gets attention so the proportions of the body look smoother and flow better. And fewer injuries mean less atrophying of hurt muscles that I have to work my ass off on to build back up.

No more 585lb squats for 4 reps anymore. But, I'm not hurt anymore either. And I still LOOK like I can squat it (even though I probably couldn't squat 405 for 4 reps now). When I was at my powerlifting/football biggest, my quads measured 29.5 inches at 5'9" at 275lbs and I could squat 585 for 4 reps, and did my best squat of 630lbs. At the same weight now, my quads still measure 29.5 inches, but I don't squat above 225lbs now on any set. And I'm leaner. So I don't buy this whole "you have to get stronger on your 1RM to get bigger", at least when it applies to me.

it s not how much you lift, it s how much you look like you can lift or smtgh along those lines  ;D Dont we lift weights to impress other males in the first place?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 06:38:44 AM »
Good form is important as is a full range of motion. Doing reps super slow is something that I have a problem with. Like partial reps doing reps super slow is a tool but shouldn't be your main tool of training.  Super slow reps started with Ken Hutchins and to a lessor extent Darden. Also time under tension is just an over used buzz word with guys who took a one week personal trainer course on the internet. I'll take the power of a guy for athletics who quickly lifts a power clean than a guy timing how much he has an exercise under tension.

In my viewpoint it's great for for people who are not into hardcore fitness.  It is really a safe form of lifting when you do your reps super slow on machines.  It's great for rehab. I am concerned with 45 plus year olds getting their blood pressure through the roof doing a 10 second concentric and a 10 second negative.  I don't care how many shallow breaths you take. 

Ken Hutchins who is the guru of super slow has not found the acceptance for his training protocol. He feels it is the best way to train.  His role model Arthur Jones if memory serves me didn't agree with his super slow reps.  It's also "blasphemy" that he altered Arthur Jones's Medx machines. Remember he modified all those Arthur Jones MedX machines for super slow by changing the cam?  Maybe Hutchins has some medical problems for an excuse but he always seemed like an out of shape guy to me.  The fact remains if you want to lift 100lbs. the wrong way to go about it is to lift 40lbs in slow motion.  The less weight you lift the lower the recruitment of muscle fibers.  I believe in proper form and not throwing a weight through momentum but doing 20 second reps is ridiculous for a healthy athlete trying to get stronger.

Super slow fans follow the super slow guru Ken Hutchins method of super slow.  Hutchins was a follower of Jones but he put his own twist to it.  Using mainly MEDX machines they use light weights using slow motion reps.  They train sometimes less than 20 minutes twice a week.  That's all the physical exercise they do.  I believe they are using less than 80 calories a session. 

I personally don't believe super slow involve the muscle fibers that are responsible for the greatest potential for growth and strength.  Where in athletics do you do anything in slow motion?  When you throw a punch, sprint, or tackle someone do you do it in slow motion?  The university of Sydney found that lifting at a one second concentric and one second negative built more strength than the typically preached 3 second up and 3 second down.  They found it was 11% more effective.  I don't believe in throwing weights as in what I see some people do but lifting in a typical cadence that most bodybuilder use isn't a problem.  When it comes to Olympic lifting the more explosive the better.

This subculture of bodybuilding also believe that the added muscle weight put on by super slow will get you ripped quick. They took an accepted given but ran with it to prove the efficiency of super slow.  Yes adding muscle uses more calories at rest but give me a break. I guess it didn't work for Hutchins.  No offense but maybe due to health problems he looks seriously out of shape in the last picture I saw.

Some of the studies with super slow were gathered from a YMCA in Mass. conducted by a man named Wescott I believe. It showed that non bodybuilders using super slow put on lean body mass but any untrained person put on any lifting program will show an increase in lean body mass.   

Lastly from what I heard is that Jones wasn't to happy about super slow or the modifications to his MEDX machines.  I think super slow has a place in training.  It's a tool like any other.  To use it exclusively is a mistake. It's great for rehabilitation. 

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 07:07:33 AM »
I had many conversations with Ken Hutchins regarding SuperSlow.

I trained that way exclusively for more than a year.

You can train very intensely this way, or rather fool yourself into the fact that you are training intensely.  You are getting de-conditioned. 

I made much more progress both before, and after, my stint with Superslow.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 07:22:08 AM »
theres something to that.

strenght is relativ, depends on too many factors on a fiven day.

sleep, food , have i trained triceps the day before ?then the bench next day wont be very good.

and some even train to impress-get laid by women.

:D
yes.. a night out with you would be a good pussy puller... ;D

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 08:06:34 AM »
last year i was at my all time strongest

i'm an ectomorph with long femurs

i squatted 170kg for 5 reps at 85 kg bodyweight (i guess 5'11" or something) high bar full rom no belt no knee sleeve/wrap

i cannot even begin to imagine to do that now

it's not a lot compared to getbig poundages but it was crazy to me looking back