Author Topic: mike mentzer on the phone  (Read 5547 times)

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
Re: mike mentzer on the phone
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2013, 08:28:40 PM »
there is a formula thats worked forever why is everything trying to find something else?

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
heavy duty is the best for me.. and i guess for all ppl.. some ppl just mentally feel it's not enough to do each exercise one set only.. i too had the same feeling but when i gave it a try it worked great..

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2013, 11:51:13 PM »
So if I do leg extensions with the stack -305 lbs for 20 reps and do several warmup sets to do that- does that first set of 110 lbs for 20 stimulate anything but blood flow and various metabolic enzymes?  Cause it was not nearly as difficult. Certainly I would not grow from that.

yeah but you still performed the sets.

I do 4 sets for bench. first set is strictly to get things going, second two are heavier, to put a load on the muscles and get into the groove of pushing some weight, they are hard but i stop  short of back-arching all out effort....last one is all out.  I call that the "money set" but it takes the first three to ramp up to it. To me it makes no sense to do two or three sets to absolute failure, I'd rather leave some in the tank for the heaviest set

I have tried one warmup up set and them right into very heavy weight..don't like the way it feels, I'm not "there" yet...and i don't get as many reps as i do when doing two lighter work sets. Everything is firing, i'm amped up and i give max effort.

So call it semantics, i count every set as a set, these guys do basically the same 4 sets and call it one set

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2013, 11:58:54 PM »
not to veer off, but did anyone ever have insight to his copius amounts of speed and meth usage, what many dont understand is many bbers in 80s used tons of speed to compliment their training and gains, today many are turning to adderall.

I've heard of that

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2013, 11:59:56 PM »
  He did.  :)  He sold me on HIT right there. Got the whole thing the seminar people got. Bought it because I could afford it and thought he was a cool old guy.

Lol, good stuff man

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2023, 11:48:26 AM »
So if I do leg extensions with the stack -305 lbs for 20 reps and do several warmup sets to do that- does that first set of 110 lbs for 20 stimulate anything but blood flow and various metabolic enzymes?  Cause it was not nearly as difficult. Certainly I would not grow from that.

First set is a warm up, after that it's all work sets. Get real.