Author Topic: shoulder injury?  (Read 1053 times)

Mseven

• Getbig I
shoulder injury?
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:18:33 AM »
Hi guys.

I just started working out again after a break of almost a year.

before then i had some light pain in my shoulders, so i always lifted light in shoulder exercises.
in my break all my shoulder pains disappeared, and i did not put any more thought into this.

now after a few month back in the gym, the pain is getting back. I still do light lifting in shoulder
exercises, but i have heard that maybe to heavy/wrong lifting on the benchpress, can be the reason to.

do any of you heard of this, and maybe have an idea of what to do here?

thank you!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: shoulder injury?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:07:06 AM »
Suggest a potential muscle tear (rupture) that never quite healed almost a year ago. Worse case, a rotor cuff..but let's think positive and not go to that extreme. Might try and work around the exercise that give pain. Also keep the shoulder area warm, evn applying a heating lotion/rub/stick on pad before and after a workout.

BB Benches can bring on some problems for a lot of guy's. Even with experienced lifters. DB benches, though not always a cure all, allow a more natural curve/phase to bench pressing. So might suggest starting with a moderate DB workout, rather than a BB. If your not doing that already, that is.

Personal view: I prefer dips over BB bench work. Second to dips would be DB bench/incline presses. A better pec exercise is the Pec Deck. Followed by DB flys, with a slight bend to the elbows. Don't have to go to the extreme with too heavy a weight. Good Luck.

Side Bar: Favorite, for me, is the Bent Arm Pullover & Press for chest, lats, delts, triceps and even abs. A true mass builder and compound exercise. I prefer DB's. BB's as a second option.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: shoulder injury?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:13:32 AM »
Hi guys.

I just started working out again after a break of almost a year.

before then i had some light pain in my shoulders, so i always lifted light in shoulder exercises.
in my break all my shoulder pains disappeared, and i did not put any more thought into this.

now after a few month back in the gym, the pain is getting back. I still do light lifting in shoulder
exercises, but i have heard that maybe to heavy/wrong lifting on the benchpress, can be the reason to.

do any of you heard of this, and maybe have an idea of what to do here?

thank you!
If the pain persists get it looked at ! do not train through it( i did this and it got worse so PLEASE do not be like i was) could it be your shoulder exercises and form? do you feel pain in the Bench press? try decline press with a bar or Dumbbells. In my opinion .. avoid Dips and pullovers and wide grip chins with shoulder pain. Try for shoulders, you can give "Monty" credit for bringing this up in the standing barbell press thread..Scott Dumbbell pressīs which are a shorter range of motion and keep the muscles working.