Author Topic: Instinctive training  (Read 1454 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Instinctive training
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:19:52 AM »
Anyone use complete instinctive training? I remember reading how Dorian Yates didn't believe in instinctive training because if you did train instinctively you would take a nap instead of train.

I'm analytically when I train. I record reps, weight and time taken to complete a workout. I can go back years and see what I have done. I see trends and what works. Using workout journals is something I have been using for 40 years. Using a journal also gives you a goal. Failed at 9 reps? This workout try for that tenth. Finished the workout in 70 minutes. This time try for 65 minutes. Burning out? Change exercises or take time off.

One of the best methods I used with a journal is a very commonly used method in power lifting. It's a simple form of periodization. To illustrate the technique a power lifter might have a goal in a cycle of 4 sets of 4 reps with say 400lbs. Even though he is in shape to use 4 sets of 4 reps with 375 right now he will start the cycle with with 4 sets of 4 reps with 315lbs. He will gradually up the intensity slowly adding weight every session of 10lbs. until he reaches his goal of 400lbs. or come close.

This brings me to instinctive training. I have rarely just gone to a gym and winged it. Sometimes on vacation I even write down a workout on a napkin before I go. Now I really want to try instinctive training. I know so many trainers who really are successful that just go to a gym and wing it. They never have a plan. One workout for chest might be flat benches, incline barbell presses and flat dumbbell flies. Next time they come in they might start with weighted dips, incline dumbbell presses and cable flies. The weight they use is what ever feels right that day. If you ask them what their routine is they can only tell you what they did last workout.

Do any of you guys train instinctively? So many do from beginners to the elite train like this but I haven't.  

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Instinctive training
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:30:02 AM »
good post oldtimer..yes i do this myself. I have my "core exercises" i always include or variations of them and move them around.. but i am a very spontaneous...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »
good post oldtimer..yes i do this myself. I have my "core exercises" i always include or variations of them and move them around.. but i am a very spontaneous...
me too,,i have some setup exercises preworkout and then i might change it and do what was planned but superset/giant set it that day,,,

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »
Great thread......I sometimes plan a workout before going to the gym......but many times I will decide what exercises I am going to do at the last minute.

I have gotten to the point where I do not count reps.....preferring to go for the feel of the exercise instead.

I find that counting reps gets in the way of focusing on the mind/muscle connection.

Many times an exercise sounds good and you plan on it the day before you train a certain bodypart......then you get to the gym and during the warm up....it doesn't feel right.....so you switch to a different exercise.

yes.....I am an instinctive trainer.

My guess is that many people are instinctive trainers.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 03:26:54 PM »
I plan my shit down to reps/sets but play weights by feel if that makes any sense.