Author Topic: Largest Pa. gun show says no to assault weapons  (Read 1119 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Largest Pa. gun show says no to assault weapons
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:25:05 AM »
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

Pennsylvania gun owners threatened to boycott the state's largest hunting and fishing expo Tuesday after organizers announced that they would ban the display and sale of assault rifles at this year's show. Reed Exhibitions, a British-based company that runs the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg each February, notified vendors of the change in policy over the last several days, a company representative confirmed to The Inquirer.

The presence of so-called assault weapons and high-capacity magazines might have served as "a distraction" from other aspects of the event in the wake of the recent school shootings in Newtown, Conn., and the ensuing national debate about gun policy, said Ed Several, a senior vice president for the company's North American operations. "Given the current climate with those products right now, we thought, 'Let's take a break for a year,' " Several said. "There's so much more to the show."

The decision came two months after the company announced that this year's expo would feature several tactical-firearms vendors for the first time. By late Tuesday, a news release on the show's website was replaced with a statement explaining the organizer's change of heart.

As news leaked out earlier in the day, it angered gun-rights advocates. "I'm outraged that the show would just roll over when it comes to the Second Amendment," read a comment on the show's Facebook page. "We will probably be seeking a refund." Another comment: "Sellouts! Say goodbye to my family and money." Many called for a boycott. Since the announcement, from three to five exhibitors of the 1,200 scheduled for the expo have dropped out, Several said. Other vendors have urged the company to reconsider its ban.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/state/20130116_Largest_Pa__gun_show_to_ban_assault_weapons.html

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Largest Pa. gun show says no to assault weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:42:37 AM »
They should maybe change their first line to, "Some Pennsylvania gun owners threatened to boycott..."

I honestly doubt that the banned categories will deter many people from attending this event. As I mentioned in another thread, people are snatching up whatever they can get their hands on. This is still a huge outlet for them.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 05:50:04 AM »
The gun control zealots won't stop here. 

Some freak will shoot up a school w a shotgun and these communists will be back for those too. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:06:27 AM »
The gun control zealots won't stop here. 

Some freak will shoot up a school w a shotgun and these communists will be back for those too. 

That's my biggest fear of anytype of gun ban. I don't own any assault rifles, but I worry that new bans enacted now will snowball, eventually stripping me of the gun rights that I DO enjoy.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 06:17:19 AM »
How did these brainiacs define "assault weapon"?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »
I believe I just heard on the news that this show has been postponed indefinitely.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
It's not a gun show, it was a general outdoor/sporting goods show. And now it's dusted -

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/01/eastern_sports_and_outdoor_sho_3.html .

44 million lost because they wanted to treat gun owners like second class citizens, once it was known that they were going to ban modern sporting arms, almost every major outdoor dealer pulled out.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 06:12:33 PM »
It's not a gun show, it was a general outdoor/sporting goods show. And now it's dusted -

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/01/eastern_sports_and_outdoor_sho_3.html .

44 million lost because they wanted to treat gun owners like second class citizens, once it was known that they were going to ban modern sporting arms, almost every major outdoor dealer pulled out.

I guess it's obvious what the "bread & butter" of the show is. What I find shocking is that organizers voluntarily imposed the restriction. I would hope they expected a boycott from some, but I'll bet they never foresaw the whole event being cancelled.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 06:56:34 PM »

I guess it's obvious what the "bread & butter" of the show is. What I find shocking is that organizers voluntarily imposed the restriction. I would hope they expected a boycott from some, but I'll bet they never foresaw the whole event being cancelled.

F them!   I'm glad this folded.   

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »
The company that was contracted to run it is British, and there are two versions of what happened -

1) The Brits thought it wouldn't be a big deal after Sandy Hook and that most would go along with it.

or

2)  

It was mentioned early on that a booth holder was pressuring Reed to ban everything but hunting arms. Some folks think that Dick's was behind it.

Dick's Sporting Goods recently pulled out of the some of the gun game because of left wing pressure, and is a big booth holder at that show.

Reed's really stepped in it this time. They were also contracted to run the Las Vegas SHOT Show, which is the biggest outdoor show in America, and now it looks like they're being dropped by the owners of that show.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 01:48:04 AM »
my guess is that the long rifles really aren't the bread n butter of their booth's business... it's probably ammo and handguns (rifles being 1000 to 2000 each)....

but the stigma of playing ball with those anti-gun pricks made it easier to back out of one show to make their point.

and the anti-gun people are only generating MORE business to the dudes walking around to sell rifles via loophole to anyone without any background check :(

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 07:31:57 AM »
The company that was contracted to run it is British, and there are two versions of what happened -

1) The Brits thought it wouldn't be a big deal after Sandy Hook and that most would go along with it.

or

2) 

It was mentioned early on that a booth holder was pressuring Reed to ban everything but hunting arms. Some folks think that Dick's was behind it.

Dick's Sporting Goods recently pulled out of the some of the gun game because of left wing pressure, and is a big booth holder at that show.

Reed's really stepped in it this time. They were also contracted to run the Las Vegas SHOT Show, which is the biggest outdoor show in America, and now it looks like they're being dropped by the owners of that show.

Yeah, that's what I see happening.  They'll find another contractor rather than go through this shit again.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 03:55:11 PM »
my guess is that the long rifles really aren't the bread n butter of their booth's business... it's probably ammo and handguns (rifles being 1000 to 2000 each)....

but the stigma of playing ball with those anti-gun pricks made it easier to back out of one show to make their point.

and the anti-gun people are only generating MORE business to the dudes walking around to sell rifles via loophole to anyone without any background check :(

There really isn't any difference between a .223 hunting rifle and a .223 "Assault" rifle.

This is so stupid.