Author Topic: one arm dumbbell floor presses for fried shoulders  (Read 1740 times)

Mawse

• Getbig IV
one arm dumbbell floor presses for fried shoulders
« on: January 28, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »
does anyone have experience doing one arm DB floor pressing as a serious lift?

since tearing my pec muscle (again) and screwing up my left shoulder (again) I've been working on scap retraction and have been pretty limited in what I can do exercise wise

band pushups and one arm pressing is pretty much all I can do safely for the time being and I kind of like the DB floor press - but I'm barely getting half the reps I did with full range DB bench pressing. is it usual to be so weak in this lift compared to regular pressing? with my stubby arms and chest the ROM is almost the same as a full range bench, but the pause on the floor kills it

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: one arm dumbbell floor presses for fried shoulders
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:27:27 AM »
Mawse; Sorry I'm not really getting what your saying. Do you mean that your only working one arm only? And/or, are you doing rehab now because of your pec & shoulder? Bands can be used  quite a bit in rehab centers.

DB floor presses are a good movement, usually done on a heavy exercise mat. Can press the DB's together or alternate the pressing with each arm. If your doing one arm only, than you will be a bit weaker at first. Usually a training partner will hold the free arm down, while you press with the other. Or else grab onto something solid when doing this exercise. A lot of athletes train one arm at a time, can be an important method for sport training. Can develop equal strength (and size) and improve the general balance. Also can train each leg this way, for the same reason. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:58:06 AM »
does anyone have experience doing one arm DB floor pressing as a serious lift?

since tearing my pec muscle (again) and screwing up my left shoulder (again) I've been working on scap retraction and have been pretty limited in what I can do exercise wise

band pushups and one arm pressing is pretty much all I can do safely for the time being and I kind of like the DB floor press - but I'm barely getting half the reps I did with full range DB bench pressing. is it usual to be so weak in this lift compared to regular pressing? with my stubby arms and chest the ROM is almost the same as a full range bench, but the pause on the floor kills it
stick to what you can do at the moment, band push ups are a good choice and the DB floor press because of the limited range will be much safer untill your chest and shoulder heal. The last thing you want to do is stretch a torn muscle, so no laterals or flys. later as you got better and more range of motion graduate onto the Cybex Unilateral chest press machine(or any other) and  unilateral chest press with cable. However stick to the advice of a qualified Physio.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »
I've had a lot of graston and ART on it over the last 2 weeks and the tear seems to be almost completely healed.. theres a little bump in the outside of the pec but the graston seems to be reducing that.

I got 100 for 15 reps with a pause in the one arm floor press with my good side, which is not great compared to what I used to full range 2 arm DB press or even incline (I did the 150's for 8 with a pause on each rep last time I did serious DB pressing a few months back)

I've always been very strong off my chest and stalled in the midrange so I guess this will help my weakpoint. But I really want to get back to 'real' lifting :x I'll try more cable pressing next week to see how that feels full ROM

ironically the hardest, most painful lift right now is chin ups.. not even pressing. Chinups make my pec feel like it's ripping in half