Author Topic: Any Mechanical Engineers on getbig? Thinking about going back to school.  (Read 3450 times)

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
Re: Any Mechanical Engineers on getbig? Thinking about going back to school.
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2013, 03:05:15 AM »
I can understand where you're coming from but at the same time I've seen people drop out by the dozens cause they couldn't keep up with the math. It's not that the math is super hard, it's more an issue of not knowing the basics too well in some cases. Anyone who puts in a decent amount of effort can pass engineering math, for sure.

maths is a language not a science
c

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2013, 03:32:19 AM »
maths is a language not a science

Alright, Bertrand Russel. Any other stupid and obvious insights you wanna share with us?
from incomplete data

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2013, 03:52:47 AM »
Alright, Bertrand Russel. Any other stupid  insights you wanna share with us?

you are probably a really nice person
c

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2013, 04:16:08 AM »

It'll be tough for me as I'll be doing afternoon/night classes (I have 8 hours in by 2:30), so I'm debating whether it's worth it to undertake this challenge, especially considering I'm 28 years old and have no real college credits to my name, just tech school certificates.....

Have you taken physics yet?   Some programs teach Newtonian Mechanics and Calculus as one subject.  I would google a video series called, “The Mechanical Universe” and “The Mechanical Universe and Beyond” presented by Dr. David Goodstein at CalTech.  Unfortunately it’s not a cheap DVD set.  It presents the concepts in a very cogent and frankly entertaining way.  Watch one episode at each cardio session.  It doesn’t matter if you haven’t had the math yet.  It will set you up to understand the concepts before you learn the procedure for solving the problems.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2013, 07:12:54 AM »
I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree a couple years ago and currently work as an industrial engineer. M.E. is definitely the best eng. degree to have, you have the most job options after graduation. All my friends who did ME all have engineering jobs, whereas not all of my friends who did other engineering disciplines (biomedical,, materials civil, etc) were able to find engineering jobs. M.E.s can work most other engineering jobs but not the other way around, so you have more options after graduation for jobs.

and I agree with the above post. undergrad engineering math is really not as bad people make it seem and i am far from being great at math. Little theory and mostly application of equations. I'm currently in grad school for engineering and taking graduate math classes, where its all theory...now these math classes are freaking extremely hard as its all proofs.

Differential Equations > Lots of shits.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2013, 08:05:42 AM »
Watch one episode at each cardio session.

Nice job keeping it bb-related sync pulse.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2013, 08:30:08 AM »
Nice job keeping it bb-related sync pulse.

Thanks...but for real it makes the session just fly...I use a ten speed mounted on a wind trainer with a tv/dvd combo right in front.