Author Topic: Harvard Study confirms fluoride lowers childrens IQ  (Read 5998 times)

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
Re: Harvard Study confirms fluoride lowers childrens IQ
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »
" Wiggs' " asshole. :-*

I know that, I was dumbing my response down for you, ya tubby bowl of sexy warm chocolate mousse.   ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 06:01:16 PM »

The Harvard researchers' primary conclusion is that further research is needed.

They always say that!  "Well, we're gonna need another grant...."

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »
Because the mainstream news doesn't cover it.  They are just govt propaganda agencies.

Not too sure why this hasn't caught fire especially with all the parents. I'd like to see the studies that show fluoride is beneficial to our health.  I'll be honest, I don't even use fluoride toothpaste. I use Tom's of Maine.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »
Isn't anyone going to mention the help fluoride gives aluminum in crossing the blood/brain?  And the higher incidence of Alzheimers in the US?  Some conspiracy theorists.  ::)

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »
Isn't anyone going to mention the help fluoride gives aluminum in crossing the blood/brain?  And the higher incidence of Alzheimers in the US?  Some conspiracy theorists.  ::)

they'd have to be nuts to believe in coincidences  ::)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 06:30:03 PM »
they'd have to be nuts to believe in coincidences  ::)

At worst, fluoridation was a poor choice where dowside outweighs the up.  Wiggs seems to be on a secret-elites-out-to-getcha kick for several months now and drawing all sorts of whacky conclusions.  I agree there's tons of shady shit going on but not everything indicates a sinister mind control plot.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 06:50:24 PM »
At worst, fluoridation was a poor choice where dowside outweighs the up.  Wiggs seems to be on a secret-elites-out-to-getcha kick for several months now and drawing all sorts of whacky conclusions.  I agree there's tons of shady shit going on but not everything indicates a sinister mind control plot.

you're right about fluoridation being more of a poor choice than a conspiracy lol, doubtful this issue indicates a mind control plot but more of like what you said, a instance where the downs outweigh the ups, hey shit happens.

but trusting governments or the psychos is power to me, is not good practice.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 06:54:47 PM »
I don't even trust myself not to crack a beer before 12 these days. 

Fuck it, it's past noon somewhere.  brb

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
I don't even trust myself not to crack a beer before 12 these days. 

Fuck it, it's past noon somewhere.  brb

like your attitude   ;D ;D

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 10:20:42 PM »
People are plenty smart, a couple of IQ points north or south aint gonna make much difference.

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 10:26:27 PM »
Isn't fluoride like a waste extract from when they mine uranium, and they used to keep in in waste management, but then they found an excuse to dump it in the drinking water.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 10:29:27 PM »
Why would they do that?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 01:12:11 AM »
Not too sure why this hasn't caught fire especially with all the parents. I'd like to see the studies that show fluoride is beneficial to our health.  I'll be honest, I don't even use fluoride toothpaste. I use Tom's of Maine.

"Early studies reported that caries reduction attributable to fluoridation ranged from 50% to 70%, but by the mid-1980s the mean DMFS scores in the permanent dentition of children who lived in communities with fluoridated water were only 18% lower than among those living in communities without fluoridated water (15). A review of studies on the effectiveness of water fluoridation conducted in the United States during 1979-1989 found that caries reduction was 8%-37% among adolescents (mean: 26.5%) (16).

Despite the substantial decline in the prevalence and severity of dental caries in the United States during the 20th century, this largely preventable disease is still common. National data indicate that 67% of persons aged 12-17 years (26) and 94% of persons aged greater than or equal to 18 years (27) have experienced caries in their permanent teeth.

Among the most striking results of water fluoridation is the change in public attitudes and expectations regarding dental health. Tooth loss is no longer considered inevitable, and increasingly adults in the United States are retaining most of their teeth for a lifetime (12). For example, the percentage of persons aged 45-54 years who had lost all their permanent teeth decreased from 20.0% in 1960-1962 (28) to 9.1% in 1988-1994 (CDC, unpublished data, 1999). The oldest post-World War II "baby boomers" will reach age 60 years in the first decade of the 21st century, and more of that birth cohort will have a relatively intact dentition at that age than any generation in history. Thus, more teeth than ever will be at risk for caries among persons aged greater than or equal to 60 years. In the next century, water fluoridation will continue to help prevent caries among these older persons in the United States."

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4841a1.htm

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 01:17:50 AM »
One element of being scientifically literate is the ability to identify the actual conclusion(s) of a given scientific paper. Here's what the Harvard study actually says (from the link in the OP):

"The results suggest that fluoride may be a developmental neurotoxicant that affects brain development at exposures much below those that can cause toxicity in adults"

"In conclusion, our results support the possibility of adverse effects of fluoride exposures on children's neurodevelopment."

Now, identifying the author's conclusion is not necessarily the same thing as identifying the true implications of a given study; an author may draw incorrect deductions from the research. But, absent scientific argument to the contrary, in this instance it makes sense to suppose the authors of the study assessed the evidence properly.

Here are the author's feelings -- contra scientifically illiterate, weed-abusing conspiracy theorists -- regarding the applicability of their research to American citizens:

“These results do not allow us to make any judgment regarding possible levels of risk at levels of exposure typical for water fluoridation in the U.S.,” say two of the researchers in an email signed off by the two primary authors of the study.

http://www.kansas.com/2012/09/11/2485561/harvard-scientists-data-on-fluoride.html

They say this because 25 of the 27 studies analyzed were undertaken in rural China, where fluoride consumption is at times 10 times as high as any U.S. city. Also, the Harvard researchers did not gather any of the data themselves since it was a meta-analysis; unless I'm mistaken, that means the inherent limitations of the individual studies -- not controlling for socioeconomic status and other essential variables -- necessarily affect the veracity of the meta-analysis in a way not correctable by its researchers.

The Harvard researchers' primary conclusion is that further research is needed. I think everybody can agree to that. Let's not be irrational and jump to vast conclusions far and above those supported by the data -- as tempting as it is for some. (Perhaps fluoride is negatively impacting children in the U.S., and perhaps this fact will be conclusively supported by the data. That's the time to be angry about it, when the actual data definitively supports the claim. It would be fallacious for those crying about it now to say, "I told you so," since they were telling us so on the basis of insufficient evidence.)

the study is not neutral in its assessment. it uses uncertain language, talks about  a possibility that may be reality, because that is the language of science. even when certainty is fairly assured. now, they werent that certain in their assessment. but they are definitely saying that they see a link between flouride and abnormal brain development in children.

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 01:18:08 AM »
Nobel laureate opposes fluoride

"I would advise against fluoridation. Individual prophylaxis (treatment) is preferable on principle grounds and is as equally effective," says Dr. Arvid Carlsson of Sweden, co-winner of last year's Nobel Prize for medicine.

He says fluoridation will harm some people and is not considered a proper health-care measure in his home country.

"Fluoridation of water supplies would also treat people who may not benefit from the treatment. Side-effects cannot be excluded and, thus, some people might only have negative effects without any benefit."

Full article:

http://www.slweb.org/carlsson.html

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 01:19:44 AM »
the one thing that gets me is that dentists are the ones supposedly responsible for this the widespread drugging of the masses which we are being told is significantly reducing the need for dental work.

does that seem like a good business move on the dentists part?

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 01:27:23 AM »
the one thing that gets me is that dentists are the ones supposedly responsible for this the widespread drugging of the masses which we are being told is significantly reducing the need for dental work.

does that seem like a good business move on the dentists part?

Big business was behind the anti fat, anti eggs, pro carbs health revolution in the 80's.  They are probably behind the fluoride too.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 01:30:15 AM »
Big business was behind the anti fat, anti eggs, pro carbs health revolution in the 80's.  They are probably behind the fluoride too.
without getting into a discussion about low carb/low fat dieting, whether or not i think one diet is better than the other, whether i think theres any conspiracy involving flouride or the food pyramid or anything else for that matter... if someone has the ability to put a conspiracy of that size into motion, they would HAVE to be "big business" in some sense.. (how else could they have enough resources to make it happen?)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 01:33:06 AM »
"Early studies reported that caries reduction attributable to fluoridation ranged from 50% to 70%, but by the mid-1980s the mean DMFS scores in the permanent dentition of children who lived in communities with fluoridated water were only 18% lower than among those living in communities without fluoridated water (15). A review of studies on the effectiveness of water fluoridation conducted in the United States during 1979-1989 found that caries reduction was 8%-37% among adolescents (mean: 26.5%) (16).

Despite the substantial decline in the prevalence and severity of dental caries in the United States during the 20th century, this largely preventable disease is still common. National data indicate that 67% of persons aged 12-17 years (26) and 94% of persons aged greater than or equal to 18 years (27) have experienced caries in their permanent teeth.

Among the most striking results of water fluoridation is the change in public attitudes and expectations regarding dental health. Tooth loss is no longer considered inevitable, and increasingly adults in the United States are retaining most of their teeth for a lifetime (12). For example, the percentage of persons aged 45-54 years who had lost all their permanent teeth decreased from 20.0% in 1960-1962 (28) to 9.1% in 1988-1994 (CDC, unpublished data, 1999). The oldest post-World War II "baby boomers" will reach age 60 years in the first decade of the 21st century, and more of that birth cohort will have a relatively intact dentition at that age than any generation in history. Thus, more teeth than ever will be at risk for caries among persons aged greater than or equal to 60 years. In the next century, water fluoridation will continue to help prevent caries among these older persons in the United States."

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4841a1.htm

Why are you quoting a 1999 government findings when I just gave a 2013 Harvard study?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 01:36:24 AM »
Why are you quoting a 1999 government findings when I just gave a 2013 Harvard study?
you asked for a source that flouride provides some benefit. i gave you one.

you ask me why i gave you something that you personally asked me to give you.. ?

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2013, 01:45:08 AM »
you asked for a source that flouride provides some benefit. i gave you one.

you ask me why i gave you something that you personally asked me to give you.. ?

Got it. thx. I didn't personally ask you but I see what you mean. Thanks.lol

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2013, 02:13:21 AM »
 personally asked // asked personally

does not = asked me personally

:)

ur welcome..

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2013, 02:36:44 AM »
Alex Jones and others have been saying this for years. Not a surprise to many but to any zombies that've learned to read. And notice one of the effects, accumulation of fluoride on the pineal gland. So those of you saying Dorian was off his rocker, can eat a dick also.

GET A FILTER! or drink spring water!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/fluoride_b_2479833.html
I think Alex Jones is drinking too much water full of bullshit!  The study was focused on abnormally high levels of fluoride and the average loss was only half of one IQ point,  and are within the measurement error of IQ testing.  Quick, round up the Nutters, how can the loss of half an IQ point be tolerated.
V