Author Topic: Americans moving to Canada in record numbers: report  (Read 8403 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Americans moving to Canada in record numbers: report
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2013, 01:25:43 PM »
yup starting thread after thread about a country you dislike and posters you cant stand on an American internet board.

Living the dream!!!!

hahahha

Good observation right here. It is easier for some people to criticize then it is for them to appreciate. It seems "in" to hate America these days. Heck, even many Americans do it.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2013, 01:45:43 PM »
yup starting thread after thread about a country you dislike and posters you cant stand on an American internet board.

Living the dream!!!!

hahahha

Meltdown.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »

Meltdown.
hahah start another thread about why dont you ;)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2013, 02:40:48 PM »
Good observation right here. It is easier for some people to criticize then it is for them to appreciate. It seems "in" to hate America these days. Heck, even many Americans do it.

True.  No doubt we bring some on ourself and some is completely unfounded.  Not sure where I would draw the line, lol

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2013, 03:30:25 PM »

True.  No doubt we bring some on ourself and some is completely unfounded.  Not sure where I would draw the line, lol

To be honest, I think the media plays a huge roll in how the world feels about Americans. Some news channels report nothing but negative and often somewhat convoluted or fabricated news. Not only do Americans buy into this crap, so do other countries. It is expected that our enemies would say bad things about us, what isn't right is all the infighting....it makes Americans more vulnerable to criticism.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »
To be honest, I think the media plays a huge roll in how the world feels about Americans. Some news channels report nothing but negative and often somewhat convoluted or fabricated news. Not only do Americans buy into this crap, so do other countries. It is expected that our enemies would say bad things about us, what isn't right is all the infighting....it makes Americans more vulnerable to criticism.

fair point, but manifest destiny is at the root of most of americant's image issues...

america's foreign policy hasn't been very friendly since bretton woods

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »

Maybe they're ONto something and you're just lagging behind.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2013, 04:20:13 PM »

;D

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »

Are you being serious or are you being cynical? Or are you just that naive and unaware?

Most of the mainstream media is owned and run by western owned lobbyists who lobby the US government. "Free press" is a lie. Since before and after 911, all the 'information' has been spoon fed from the white house and pentagon into all 'mainstream' western media.

Basically 'journalism' has been turned into absolute state propaganda and has been worse and worse since.

Anyone who does ACTUAL journalism is deemed a looney, terrorist sympathizer or 'conspiracy theorist' or a nut. Nazi style hardcore.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »

Living the dream!!!!

hahahha

It's like that one guy on here said... Everyone criticizes the most beautiful girl in the room (lady liberty).  No one has anything to say about all the other mediocre people.  

This is an American (U.S.) forum after all... haha;D

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2013, 04:59:16 PM »

fair point, but manifest destiny is at the root of most of americant's image issues...

america's foreign policy hasn't been very friendly since bretton woods

Canada is right there with the United States, we do this stuff on behalf (and with the support of) the first world as a whole.  We're the ones actually getting our hands dirty though, so we take the brunt of the criticism.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2013, 07:49:41 PM »

I am not lagging behind and I am not into self hate. I am American.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »

A wealthy person typically has low income. They are wealthy.

Uh, no.  A wealthy American typically has high income and often that income is residual income.  (That said, high income doesn't necessarily = wealth.)   

One of the ways Americans become wealthy is reducing their tax burden.  Would make no sense for those same persons to move to a place like Canada with incredibly high taxes. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2013, 12:53:44 PM »
Uh, no.  A wealthy American typically has high income and often that income is residual income.  (That said, high income doesn't necessarily = wealth.)   

One of the ways Americans become wealthy is reducing their tax burden.  Would make no sense for those same persons to move to a place like Canada with incredibly high taxes. 

Don't confuse rich (the American dream) with wealthy.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2013, 12:55:37 PM »

What's the difference between "rich" and "wealthy"? 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2013, 04:55:26 PM »
What's the difference between "rich" and "wealthy"? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2013, 07:00:13 PM »

You distinguish "rich" from "wealthy" based on a stand-up comic routine by Chris Rock?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2013, 07:01:02 PM »
You distinguish "rich" from "wealthy" based on a stand-up comic routine by Chris Rock?

dude

you need to enjoy life a little

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2013, 12:21:56 AM »
http://www.freedomsledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59832

Americans moving to Canada in record numbers: report

According to a new report by CTV News, economic woes in the U.S. are driving a record number of Americans across the northern border as they seek better job opportunities and cheaper education in Canada.

In 2011, Ottawa approved 34,185 visas for U.S. residents — a figure that falls just short of the all-time record of 35,060 approved visas in 2010. By comparison, fewer than 20,000 Canadians moved to the U.S. over the past two years — the lowest number in nearly a decade.[ More Political Points: Is Calgary becoming the new Toronto? ]

It wasn't always this way.

When I was in university — back in the late 1990s — my economics professor asked how many of us intended to move to the United States. Almost all of us, fourth-year macroeconomics students, raised our hands.

It was the 'brain-drain' era: the American economy was strong and many of Canada's best and brightest were heading south to find work. Both the media and and politicians dubbed the exodus a crisis; studies were commissioned and papers were written.

But what a difference a decade makes.

"Since the 2008 economic crises, we have witnessed a steady stream of Americans applying for Canadian work visas," Canadian immigration attorney Michael Niren told Yahoo! Canada News in an email exchange on Thursday.

"The main reason for this is lack of employment in the U.S. and our strong Canadian dollar."

Niren says most Americans who come to Canada do so through the expedited "NAFTA visa" process which requires applicants to have a Canadian job offer in one of 63 recognized occupations. The U.S. has a similar temporary visa — the TN visa — for Canadians who want to work there.

For the time being, however, it appears Canada's brain drain has been plugged.

It's cheap there because it sucks... Was 75 here today at the beach :)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2013, 03:15:24 AM »
It's cheap there because it sucks... Was 75 here today at the beach :)

musta been nice... it was 32F here today but the wind was icy...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »

dude

you need to enjoy life a little

So you're sticking with Chris Rock to support this?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »
So you're sticking with Chris Rock to support this?

Well I'm too lazy to build my case any further. I was just playing with semantics.

And Chris rock is funny.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »

Well I'm too lazy to build my case any further. I was just playing with semantics.

And Chris rock is funny.

Has anyone ever heard the term nouveau wealthy? Of course not, because the term is nouveau riche; meaning new rich (describes rich people who acquired their money within their own generations; the equivalent English term is (the) new rich or new money (in contrast with "old money"). Sociologically, nouveau riche describes the man or woman who previously had belonged to a lower social class and economic stratum (rank) within that class).

Social status is defined in relation to wealth, and the power granted by the wealth. The Nouveau riche man and woman are juxtaposed against wealthy people of the Old Money social class; and with trans-generational, inherited wealth, in order to highlight the cultural, value system and societal differences, between the two social groups within the class.

The bottom line is that money cannot buy you class.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »

And Chris rock is funny.

Yes, you were.  Thanks for acknowledging that. 

And yes, Chris Rock is funny.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »
Has anyone ever heard the term nouveau wealthy? Of course not, because the term is nouveau riche; meaning new rich (describes rich people who acquired their money within their own generations; the equivalent English term is (the) new rich or new money (in contrast with "old money"). Sociologically, nouveau riche describes the man or woman who previously had belonged to a lower social class and economic stratum (rank) within that class).

Social status is defined in relation to wealth, and the power granted by the wealth. The Nouveau riche man and woman are juxtaposed against wealthy people of the Old Money social class; and with trans-generational, inherited wealth, in order to highlight the cultural, value system and societal differences, between the two social groups within the class.

The bottom line is that money cannot buy you class.

Truth.