Author Topic: is it true mike mentzer didnt train anything like "H.I.T." to get his body?  (Read 7502 times)

kimo

• Getbig III
Re: is it true mike mentzer didnt train anything like "H.I.T." to get his body?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »
based on jones ideas all this or he developed all this himself hard to say . eccentric work seems to work though . but carefully .

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »
Jeff Everson said, "Until Pigs fly you don't have to be a scientist to be a bodybuilder." He was dead on target. He pointed out some champions are always talking about studies and the latest research. Some couldn't tell you what they ate or how they trained the day before but both could be champion bodybuilders.

There is no magic or secret in bodybuilding. Everyone is looking for the magical split. The magical amount of sets and reps. Fail on the first set, third, sixth or not at all? I have been obsessed with reading about exercise physiology and everything bodybuilding related. The more I read the more I realize there is no revelation to be found. Truth be told if you had no knowledge but a determination to have a good build you could accomplish that lifting rocks in your back yard.

A work ethic, genetics and yes, what drugs you take will determine who gets a trophy posing oiled up in a speedo.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 05:22:15 PM »
Damn, not rocket science just left heavier weights than you did before all you got to do.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 05:31:37 PM »
Damn, not rocket science just left heavier weights than you did before all you got to do.

and eat a lot of d-bol

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
Good point about warm up sets. I have this debate about Dorian with guys online. I tell them he does non taxing warm up sets prior to that one set to failure. If he uses 415 for 7 reps his warms ups could be 135, 225, 315 before loading up the bar. They don't understand that he is not taxing himself but trying to avoid injury.

225 and 315 are not warm up sets. They are work up sets. The load on the bar still works the muscle hard. Yates did more volume than people think.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Early on he did volume just like everyone else did.

Dont believe the hype.

French

• Getbig IV
  • Solana @ 2000$

definitely not, stupid retard.
$

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
Jeff Everson said, "Until Pigs fly you don't have to be a scientist to be a bodybuilder." He was dead on target. He pointed out some champions are always talking about studies and the latest research. Some couldn't tell you what they ate or how they trained the day before but both could be champion bodybuilders.

There is no magic or secret in bodybuilding. Everyone is looking for the magical split. The magical amount of sets and reps. Fail on the first set, third, sixth or not at all? I have been obsessed with reading about exercise physiology and everything bodybuilding related. The more I read the more I realize there is no revelation to be found. Truth be told if you had no knowledge but a determination to have a good build you could accomplish that lifting rocks in your back yard.

A work ethic, genetics and yes, what drugs you take will determine who gets a trophy posing oiled up in a speedo.

You summed it up perfectly...

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
Waiting for Palumboism to weigh-in on this topic…..

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
I knew Mike, too.  I asked him about the reports of some high-set workouts he and Ray did, like their "squat party nights."  I even read him some of the supposed "excuses" he told other folks to justify catching him doing higher volume.

He basically just laughed and said those people were morons who took things out of context.  He admitted he and Ray would occasionally do what he called "crazy shit" like 15 sets/bodypart to failure. 

But that wasn't his standard routine, and why would he lie?  As he used to say (heavily paraphrased, because it has been many years): "People think I just want to make money by saying, 'do less, do just one hard set'; but then, people don't want to hear that -- they think I'm crazy.  I'd sell much BETTER if I said, just do a little less than Arnold, but do forced reps, drop sets and rest-pause; the kiddies would think that's more hard-core and my books would sell faster than pancakes.  But I don't give a shit how well they really sell.  I'm already making a comfortable living and I'm not that greedy."

The reason Mike sometimes did lots of sets to failure was multi-fold as I understood it. 

A.  He'd overtrain on purpose before a long vacation, during which time he wouldn't lift.
B.  Back in the day, he understood that you could overreach for a while and gain, but you'd eventually have to back off.  That's something he never really wrote about but we discussed it at length.  It was his form of cycling training volume, back before he advocated taking 1-2 wk. layoffs.
C.  Mike also thought that beating the piss out of a muscle the day before a photoshoot could be a good thing (severe edema so you wouldn't have to "pump up," plus you were so sore you could feel the muscle contracting to better pose/show them off.

But generally, he told me he rarely did more than two hard sets per exercise.  Behind-neck press might be 95x5, 115x5, 185x3, then 225x10.  After that, he might go up to 245, get 6 on his own and four forced reps. 

People can stamp their feet, whine and complain all they like, but if you really consider those first three real "sets," you might as well keep track of the steps you take upstairs to the weight room, raising your arms over your head, etc.  At some point we've gotta draw a line  ::)

What crap.

DIABOLIC

• Getbig II
Built 90% of his physique before he was 19 doing the traditional high rep, twice a day in the gym workouts... also ate a lot of d-bol

If he looked like that at 19 then he didn't really have to work that hard for his body or figure out the best way to train, beat plateaus etc. He was gifted. Anything would have worked for him.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
If he looked like that at 19 then he didn't really have to work that hard for his body or figure out the best way to train, beat plateaus etc. He was gifted. Anything would have worked for him.

Brutal replying on a 10 year old post

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
LOL @ Mentzer diet to get lean of 60% carbs...LOL

dude was a grade A liar

Rmj11

• Getbig IV

dude was a grade A liar

Sure was.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Are the Mentzer brothers still dead?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Are the Mentzer brothers still dead?

Only one of them.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
225 and 315 are not warm up sets. They are work up sets. The load on the bar still works the muscle hard. Yates did more volume than people think.

Maybe not for you but for but it was for him. No way he or anyone else could load 400lbs plus for one set to failure and not get injured. His 225lbs and 315lbs were ended way before failure. Often is warm up sets are for less reps than his final weight.   

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
Maybe not for you but for but it was for him. No way he or anyone else could load 400lbs plus for one set to failure and not get injured. His 225lbs and 315lbs were ended way before failure. Often is warm up sets are for less reps than his final weight.

Nope. Tension and load. Watch blood and guts again. The set before the final set was still heavy. Even Leeroy was spotting yates on those so called "warm up" sets and Dorian was grimacing. It's just pyramid training. Nothing more. In fact on some exercises he didn't even go to failure how is that hit. Yates trained no harder than any other serious bodybuilder. Hit sucks.

pamith

• Getbig V

pamith

• Getbig V
Tbh it doesn't matter of you do hit or high volume, if you get stronger AND progressively heavier, you WILL gain muscle mass!

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V

dude was a grade A liar
He ate a super low cal diet.

pamith

• Getbig V

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Bro...
800 calories while walking on the treadmill all night listening to Ayn Rand lectures according to him. Eating that low cal of a diet you can eat 100% carbs and you'll still get ripped.

pamith

• Getbig V
800 calories while walking on the treadmill all night listening to Ayn Rand lectures according to him. Eating that low cal of a diet you can eat 100% carbs and you'll still get ripped.
Was Ayn Rand a good philosopher??

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Was Ayn Rand a good philosopher??
She must have been for him to listen to all night on the treadmill.