Author Topic: powerlifting....  (Read 4014 times)

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
powerlifting....
« on: December 29, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »
So i wanna try and get into a powerlifting/bbing routine so i can start gaining some real strength along with good muscle gain. Anyone have a good routine for this that they could share?

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
Re: powerlifting....
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »
there is a powerlifting thread section which would be useful to read and not as populated by kidults
c

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:14:50 PM »
tyvm

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »
That's pretty much how I train. Focus on getting stronger in the squat/dead/bench variation as well as rows, chins, overhead presses.
Limited amount of excercises per workout, 4 times a week.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:40:55 PM »
That's pretty much how I train. Focus on getting stronger in the squat/dead/bench variation as well as rows, chins, overhead presses.
Limited amount of excercises per workout, 4 times a week.

sounds about like the same thing in the wendler 531 book, I got stronger on that but got sick of all the eating you need to go along with it.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:37:21 AM »
I don't do 5/3/1, but I have tried it years ago. Wendler seems to like to stick to the same movements for a long period of time. I prefer to switch up my excercises every 9-12 weeks, take a week off and start with a different set of excercises.  Basically squeeze all of the progress you can out of a movement, when you stall out switch in a different variation. Go back to the original movement 6 months later and blast past your previous plateau untill you get stuck again.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »
The one that helped me up my strength was 5 sets of a weight that i could do 3 reps, clean, and adding 5 lbs every week.

Tues Chest, 5x3 press variation a, 5x3 press variation b

wed  rest

thurs Back, Weighted pull ups 5x3 variation a, 5x3 pull up variation b (say wide grip, then neutral grip)

fri: legs,  5x3 squats, 5x3 body weight leg curls,

sat: rest

sun: shoulders. seated overhead press 5x3, clean and press, pyramid up to heavy weight, heavy upright rows to solar plexus 5x3

edit: do for 8 weeks...throw in some heavhy curls and extensions in there as well, when they make sense with workout.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 12:12:08 PM »
Does this actually help you gain muscle size as well? Im looking for a routine that will give me the best of both worlds

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 01:23:20 PM »
Does this actually help you gain muscle size as well? Im looking for a routine that will give me the best of both worlds

I've always found that (and i'm natural) the heavier i lift, the bigger i get.  What's hard is staying away from injury, as it does take a toll on your joints.  For me, its shoulders and elbows that get cranky, so I change things up after 8 weeks, and go lighter for a bit.  I personally feel lucky, as I don't have any issues with my back or knees, and those are the ones that can keep you from training altogether.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 02:55:52 PM »
I've always found that (and i'm natural) the heavier i lift, the bigger i get.  What's hard is staying away from injury, as it does take a toll on your joints.  For me, its shoulders and elbows that get cranky, so I change things up after 8 weeks, and go lighter for a bit.  I personally feel lucky, as I don't have any issues with my back or knees, and those are the ones that can keep you from training altogether.

Same here.

bertl

• Getbig I
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 08:20:09 AM »
This may not have to do too much with the training aspect, but I did find an article about a high schooler that set the world record by deadlifting 405 lbs.  and she weighed like 123 haha.

So maybe if you're looking for a little motivation or something to do powerlifting I'll put the link below.

http://www.bodyathleticsblog.com/2013/02/12/powerlifting-champion/

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 08:33:52 AM »
here's a great clip from Mike Bridges

@ 33:00 til the end of the clip is the best part IMO as he talks about the actual training program and gives some very good guidelines and suggestions