Author Topic: how much can you dudes db row?  (Read 43401 times)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Re: how much can you dudes db row?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 02:58:57 PM »
I buddy of mine was having issues with getting his back to grow. So I watched one of his back workouts and he was doing one arm rows with 40's. He was curling 45's at the time with super strict form. I got him to start using 80's and showed him how do them properly, within 3 months there was a noticeable difference in his back.

Yeah... those starting numbers seem way off. Going by my own personal experience that is....my rowing weight is double the curling weight.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 03:29:45 PM »
yeah, ofc this can go both ways, good point 8)

as for ppl using these monster weights, a proper set to me is going from full strecht to full flex(pulling shouldr back)

feeling the lats all the time, not swinging the weight.

if those weights claimed used were with the described form, everyone here would have a back like kai greene. ,

i know a guy who does rows with 4 plates each side, poor form, and guess what, poor back development.

often, rows resemble shrugs with many people.

just saying.

agree ..  ;)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 03:43:18 PM »
I used to do the 140's with proper form, but when i did the 160's it was more of an attempt just to row them and there was plenty of body movement.  I can do perfect reps with the 125's, but i haven't done anything more than that in a while.  These days i try to pause for a second at the top and really squeeze.  I do feel it a bit in my biceps, but i get an incredible workout in my lats and teres from them.

8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 03:49:33 PM »
still think Barbell rows are King  ;D

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
I used to do the 140's with proper form, but when i did the 160's it was more of an attempt just to row them and there was plenty of body movement.  I can do perfect reps with the 125's, but i haven't done anything more than that in a while.  These days i try to pause for a second at the top and really squeeze.  I do feel it a bit in my biceps, but i get an incredible workout in my lats and teres from them.

8)

Yeah but you're a monster...

You have a pling background if I'm not mistaken and you've been using for quite a while. If someone who is natural is using the same weights you are than something is just not right...

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 07:38:16 PM »
So that begs the question....are you guys doing db rows with one hand on a bench or one hand on the db rack?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 07:40:56 PM »
When your doing bwt DB rows (or around 20-30 lbs below bwt), for a couple of good reps, your approaching the strongman class.  For me, it's still one of those exercise that doesn't do much for lat/back improvement. Would select the curl grip (under hand..medium grip) BB row, as a better exercise for me.  But having the knuckles forward, and elbows out (with a lighter DB) hits my posterior delts fairly well.  .Oh yeah.....one hand on a rack or forearm/elbow on a bar in a PR, never got into the knee on the bench thing.    Good Luck.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 03:18:35 AM »
ok ill ask differently.

you big row lifters, how many pull ups can you do with strict form?

I can pull your mom up..... Kidding.

I can comfortbly get 4 sets of 10 underhand to the sternum now. BW is 235 at 6ft.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 05:30:27 AM »

I can pull your mom up..... Kidding.

I can comfortbly get 4 sets of 10 underhand to the sternum now. BW is 235 at 6ft.
I do not even bother now with wide grip overhand.. sternum chins underhand are a great ex.. i can hit 10-15 per set. wide grip overhand behind the neck i used to do about 8-10 per set.. for 3-5 sets.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:52 AM »
I do not even bother now with wide grip overhand.. sternum chins underhand are a great ex.. i can hit 10-15 per set. wide grip overhand behind the neck i used to do about 8-10 per set.. for 3-5 sets.

Yeah I got the movement from your post a while back. It's fuckjng brutal compared to regular chins.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 07:08:38 AM »

Yeah I got the movement from your post a while back. It's fuckjng brutal compared to regular chins.
itīs really advanced and the movement is a great compliment to BB or DB rows. Infact tri set sternum chins with bb/db rows and pullovers... the sternum chin is a complete movement for your lats. I know no other better movement.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 07:22:02 AM »
ok ill ask differently.

I wouldn't consider myself as a big row lifter but...

Additional 90lbs at a BW of 195 for 4 was what I topped out last year for overhand grip pull ups. This was the same time I was doing one arm rows with 115's for 3 sets of 10-15.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 08:49:16 AM »
I wouldn't consider myself as a big row lifter but...

Additional 90lbs at a BW of 195 for 4 was what I topped out last year for overhand grip pull ups. This was the same time I was doing one arm rows with 115's for 3 sets of 10-15.

i think that is strong very good.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 09:01:09 AM »
ok ill ask differently.

i can do about 6-8 reps with 50 pounds added onto me (this is wide grip overhand style)

underhand close-grip style i can do about 6-8 reps with 25 pounds added onto me

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »
i can do about 6-8 reps with 50 pounds added onto me (this is wide grip overhand style)

underhand close-grip style i can do about 6-8 reps with 25 pounds added onto me
starting to wonder about you dj...your posts are naive but your not..sort of piss taking.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 09:18:11 AM »
starting to wonder about you dj...your posts are naive but your not..sort of piss taking.

what's naive about that post dude?

just giving an honest report of my lat strength capabilites

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 09:37:58 AM »
you have more knowledge than you put out. I will agree with your training volume comments and think you should get away from this AJ mentality. Train how you feel..if i feel like my arms are toasted after 10 sets...ok but another day i might feel like 15 because my body wants it and also itīs mental. you know that as an advanced trainer which is evident in your photo.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 09:53:49 AM »
i think that is strong very good.

Thank You.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 10:20:28 AM »
Thank You.
no problem you are one of the knowlegable trainers on here.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »
Yeah but you're a monster...

You have a pling background if I'm not mistaken and you've been using for quite a while. If someone who is natural is using the same weights you are than something is just not right...

I used to weigh 250+ and deadlift over 700 pounds.  I've been using AAS for over 10 years, so I'm not your average lifter for sure.  When i was natural i remember using the 115's for one arm rows, but i only weighed around 190.

I alternate between using the bench with my knee and hand on it, then sometimes i rest my hand on the DB rack so I'm standing but leaning over.  I get a better feel when I'm standing, but when the gym is crowded i don't like to use the rack.

Last time i did bodyweight chins i think i did ~30 with an underhand grip.  I weigh 215 right now and i usually do chins with a 45 pound plate for 12-15 reps.

When i was power lifting and weighed 250, i don't think i could do 8 chins with my bodyweight.  I train very differently today.

8)

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 01:25:02 PM »

8)

this is how I try to do them now.. hold at the top for a beat, 3 second to lower then back up under control.

back when 'kroc rows' were a big thing on the internet I actually did those retard 'rows' when I was PLer, I'm amazed I didnt tear my biceps or my RCs.. I know it did fck all for my development but possibly it helped my DL a bit

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »
you have more knowledge than you put out. I will agree with your training volume comments and think you should get away from this AJ mentality. Train how you feel..if i feel like my arms are toasted after 10 sets...ok but another day i might feel like 15 because my body wants it and also itīs mental. you know that as an advanced trainer which is evident in your photo.
outstanding post!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »
So that begs the question....are you guys doing db rows with one hand on a bench or one hand on the db rack?
I rest my hand on the db rack....

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 10:57:32 PM »

I never liked the db rack version, I will either do them with one knee on the bench or just do them without bracing on any equipment by resting the elbow of the non working arm on my knee.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2013, 02:36:32 AM »
I rest my hand on the db rack....
yeah...i like this too. i reast my hand on a slightly inclined bench(at the back if you understand what i mean ;D) although anyone with back issues should do what yev33 suggests (knee and hand on bench. itīs really about stretching and feeling the lats and slowly using the negative. But you dudes know this so i am teaching you to suck eggs here..picking up too much slang of you American Bros...