Author Topic: Dry Eyes  (Read 13968 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Dry Eyes
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »
I hear Migs has this problem as well.

I'm not touching this one. :)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 07:49:04 PM »
I hear Migs has this problem as well.

pfft

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 07:50:49 AM »
R

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 08:32:04 AM »

pbbbbllllt

fixed

That sounds like more than just air. :-X

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »
fixed

That sounds like more than just air. :-X

You know Migs :)
R

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »
Hi

I forgot to mention that we all blink far less frequently when focusing on a computer.  When in concentrating mode, we blink very little.  

Therefore if you're more than an hour (as most are nowadays) looking at a screen, you will get dry eyes.  

You must blink lots.

Blink

Work them eyelashes, the more you use them, the bigger and longer they'll grow.  Only kidding.  

Joking aside, you must do your utmost to make sure your eyes still function 100%.  Exercise them, try eye yoga.  Look left and right and up and down and work your eye muscles.  Do it again.  And again.  Then blink 10x reps.  

Always blink lots.  Just blink, it's good for your eyes.  Do it now 10x and remember to do it again tomorrow morning.

Byeeeeeee

xxxL

usmcdevildoc

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 02:00:30 PM »
You might have Sjogren's syndrome!!! Autoimmune disorder responding to steroids.
DOC

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 05:27:30 PM »
UPDATE:

Prednisolone acetate drops cleared up my problems from keratitis last Fall. Switching to a more breathable contact lens has also helped immensely.
However, I began experiencing mild redness and stinging again about two weeks ago. Some searching led me to consider the possibility of dry eyes (I suspected there was more than one issue with my eyes from the get go).

Wishing to address this immediately, I stopped at the pharmacy and picked up two products I'd researched online:

I know that Systane was mentioned here earlier, though I didn't find it increased my ocular redness or irritation. It is a viscous oily gel analogous to Neosporin. I find it soothing, but it does severely blur your vision, limiting its use to bedtime.

The Thera Tears are FANTASTIC, and I highly recommend them
to anyone with dry eyes. The formula is preservative-free, and you can use them as often as needed. I apply the drops with or without my contacts in.
They also make a liqui-gel version containing a higher concentration of the active ingredient in the drops. I plan to pick up a box of that on my next shopping trip!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 05:58:43 PM »
Dry eyes are caused by a lack of adequate tears. Tears are a complex mixture of water, fatty oils, and mucus. This mixture helps make the surface of your eyes smooth and clear, and it helps protect your eyes from infection.
For some people, the cause of dry eyes is an imbalance in the composition of their tears. Other people don't produce enough tears to keep their eyes comfortably lubricated.

There is quite a cross-over of symptoms from different causes regarding eye issues. I'm very disappointed my doctor did not consider and test me for dry eye syndrome. I feel like my treatment was incomplete because he concluded that all of my problems resulted from one cause.

For anyone interested, I've listed below some warning signs of clinical dry eye from the Mayo Clinic website.

Signs and symptoms, which usually affect both eyes, may include:

* A stinging, burning or scratchy sensation in your eyes
* Stringy mucus in or around your eyes
* Increased eye irritation from smoke or wind
* Eye fatigue
* Sensitivity to light
* Eye redness
* A sensation of having something in your eyes
* Difficulty wearing contact lenses
* Periods of excessive tearing
* Blurred vision, often worsening at the end of the day or after focusing for a prolonged period

If you have one or more of these symptoms for more than several days, and/or the severity is anything beyond mild, you should consider seeking medical council. I waited entirely too long to address my problems, which probably compounded them. Nonetheless, I am finally getting some relief. I hope the above information can help others.

additional resources: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-eyes/DS00463/DSECTION=symptoms
                             http://www.dryeyecenterofkentucky.com/site/dry-eye-syndrome.htm
                             http://www.emedicinehealth.com/dry_eye_syndrome/page4_em.htm
                             http://www.eyehealthweb.com/dry-eye-medications/

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »
I received a sample of the Systane and found it to make my eyes worse.  I now just use regular everyday saline solution in the morning and really haven't had any issues.  Occasionally, I'll use Optive (kept in fridge) if I'm having a particularly bad day.

:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 08:00:27 PM »
I received a sample of the Systane and found it to make my eyes worse.  I now just use regular everyday saline solution in the morning and really haven't had any issues.  Occasionally, I'll use Optive (kept in fridge) if I'm having a particularly bad day.

So, ya like my fridge idea?
 :D

They actually have some good OTC products for a variety of eye problems. The most important thing is finding something that works for YOU. Eyes are nothing to mess with!