Author Topic: The Protein Myth  (Read 15683 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Re: The Protein Myth
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
here's a good article

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need-science-weighs

it recommends .55 to 1 gram per pound of bodyweight

i'm gonna go on a little diet now coz my waist has crept up to 33 inches, it was 30 inches not so long ago so now it's time to get back into rippedness 8)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »
When in doubt, go with 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. It's a start, a foundation.

From there you can adjust as needed. Usually, it's a small adjustment: Larger eggs here, an extra scoop of powder there.

animal1991

• Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2013, 10:03:13 PM »
I would say if one is on a low carb diet, protein could be increased. But not by much...

If one is consuming adequate carbs, then high protein intake is not even necessary, as carbs are protein sparing. I'll then go to the lower end of the scale, 1,2g/kg...

Currently I'm getting in below that! 100-110g a day, and my carbs are about 250g, and I haven't felt any negative effects as yet. Note that I am around 12% bodyfat now.

I would say once you go below 8% as a natty, you start to risk muscle loss. And as I just want to get to sub 10%, I don't think there is need to worry.

I've read that only once you get into the essential bodyfat (4-5%) range, your body will only then start to eat away muscle.

Yes, muscle is very metabolically active, but as long as you have a stored energy source (fat) and immediate energy source (carbs), your body won't catabolize it.

I've stopped overanalyzing nutrition and just sticking to the basics.

That's what its all about:
Calories in < Calories out
Adequate protein (1,2-1,6g/kg), fat (0,3-0,5g/kg), carb (rest of calories) intake.
Also, note that these calories do not come from junk, although it can be included, but it comes from nutrient dense food (not necessarily traditional bodybuilding foods)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2013, 04:07:42 AM »
i'll be getting in about 1.4 grams per kilo bodyweight during my get ripped phase and i'm certain that it will be enough, but time will tell

i plan to keep on making my training loads increase during this time, and if they do then you can be damn sure that i'm not losing any muscle lol

animal1991

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2013, 03:22:03 AM »
protein intake depends on these:

how many carbs you eat

on gear or not

how much cardio you do.excessive cardio will require lots of protein.

the protein requirement for endurance athletes are higher than for bodybuilders,i seen studies on that.not to mention the carbs.

but yeah, those are the factors.
Agreed

If you look at it this way. Let's say you a 1000 calories worth of exercise (cardio and weight lifting), then 250g carbs are more than enough.

Don't know if I'm lookin at it the wrong way, just makes sense to me like that.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2013, 06:03:34 AM »
Just wanted to add something;

'1g per pound of bodyweight' is not the best starting point - '1g per pound of lean bodyweight / or goal bodyweight' is better.

No point for a 320 pound 34%bf dude to start eating 350g of protein a day, and wondering why he hasn't got many kcals left to eat much else and still lose weight.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »

'1g per pound of bodyweight' is not the best starting point - '1g per pound of lean bodyweight / or goal bodyweight' is better.

No point for a 320 pound 34%bf dude to start eating 350g of protein a day, and wondering why he hasn't got many kcals left to eat much else and still lose weight.

Good points.

I suspect many of us take such knowledge for granted. But, since this is a learning/discussion/information-sharing board, the disclaimer is probably worth mentioning: FAT DOESN'T NEED PROTEIN TO SUPPORT IT!!!

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »
i'll be getting in about 1.4 grams per kilo bodyweight during my get ripped phase and i'm certain that it will be enough, but time will tell

i plan to keep on making my training loads increase during this time, and if they do then you can be damn sure that i'm not losing any muscle lol

update

i've been eating even less than 1.4 grams per kilo of bodyweight and i'm not losing any muscle whatsoever while on a diet of 1600-2000 cals per day

and in fact, i've even gained some muscle 8)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2013, 01:04:50 AM »

Good points.

I suspect many of us take such knowledge for granted. But, since this is a learning/discussion/information-sharing board, the disclaimer is probably worth mentioning: FAT DOESN'T NEED PROTEIN TO SUPPORT IT!!!

Good line, I like it.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2013, 09:45:26 AM »

I'm not talking about severly obese people.

I believe 1 gram per pound of bodyweight is the best starting point, for bodybuilding purposes. It's easier to take your protein down, if you need less, than to bump it up.

Again, it gives you a foundation. In my case (at least in my early years) I eventually needed more protein than that.

If you're skinny and need mass, the last concern you should have is whether your protein is supporting fat or not.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2013, 03:18:28 AM »
I'm not talking about severly obese people.

I believe 1 gram per pound of bodyweight is the best starting point, for bodybuilding purposes. It's easier to take your protein down, if you need less, than to bump it up.

Again, it gives you a foundation. In my case (at least in my early years) I eventually needed more protein than that.

If you're skinny and need mass, the last concern you should have is whether your protein is supporting fat or not.

Sorry I should have clarified, I was specifically taking about protein intake when cutting (hence lean bodyweight being the base point)

I agree that if someone is looking to generally get bigger, and train for hypertrophy, bodyweight is the best start marker.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2013, 04:50:28 AM »
in my case over the short and medium term i have never noticed a difference if i vary from day to day between 300g protein all the way down to 120g... i focus more on total calories and QUALITY calories from nutritious food...

most recomendations are based on 'lean body mass'... this is often overlooked leading to overeating

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2013, 07:41:16 AM »
in my case over the short and medium term i have never noticed a difference if i vary from day to day between 300g protein all the way down to 120g... i focus more on total calories and QUALITY calories from nutritious food...

most recomendations are based on 'lean body mass'... this is often overlooked leading to overeating

Exactly my point.

I'm currently dieting (5th week in), and there are days where my fat intake may be higher than usual, and it naturally gives me less kcals to 'spend' on protein. I can get as low as 100g (which is pretty damn low when your on less than 100g of carbs a day).

Difference to my muscle tone - 0
Difference to my muscle repair - 0
Difference to my life - 0

Now.......if I were to drop my protein intake to 100g a day for months on end and eat more fats to make up the kcals, you would have a different end result for sure. Maybe just as lean, but definatley gonna be losing some muscle.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2013, 08:24:13 AM »
Exactly my point.

I'm currently dieting (5th week in), and there are days where my fat intake may be higher than usual, and it naturally gives me less kcals to 'spend' on protein. I can get as low as 100g (which is pretty damn low when your on less than 100g of carbs a day).

Difference to my muscle tone - 0
Difference to my muscle repair - 0
Difference to my life - 0

Now.......if I were to drop my protein intake to 100g a day for months on end and eat more fats to make up the kcals, you would have a different end result for sure. Maybe just as lean, but definatley gonna be losing some muscle.

good post, and The Shitles would most definitely approve 8)

SupahStah

• Getbig II
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »
OK I managed 40 seconds into it. 'I don't, I don't get my protein.' Well I guess then you're dying then aren't you? Since without protein you know, you die. This isn't something up for debate; protein is required to sustain human life.