Author Topic: Republican: Fetus is the largest organ in the body  (Read 7001 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: Republican: Fetus is the largest organ in the body
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 01:11:02 PM »
when does it become a baby?

When it no longer meets the criteria of a parasite imo.

Once it is able to sustain its basic needs (breathing, digestion etc) it is a baby. Until then it requires the mother to live and still requires her collateral circulation, her digestion etc.

Until then it isn't really living imo.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 02:09:29 PM »

It NEVER has the criteria of parasite. The womb is designed for babies to be developed, especially when the instigation of that process starts with an act, in which the woman VOLUNTARILY ENGAGES, 95% of the time.

Once it is able to sustain its basic needs (breathing, digestion etc) it is a baby. Until then it requires the mother to live and still requires her collateral circulation, her digestion etc.

A little guy, running around my house and eating grapes as I type this, pretty much shoots your opinion to pieces.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 02:45:07 PM »
It NEVER has the criteria of parasite. The womb is designed for babies to be developed, especially when the instigation of that process starts with an act, in which the woman VOLUNTARILY ENGAGES, 95% of the time.

A little guy, running around my house and eating grapes as I type this, pretty much shoots your opinion to pieces.

wrong, it does.

parasite.
an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment.

what opinion does he shoot down again? I don't follow.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »

one could say its still a parasite after it leaves the womans body as its still requires someone to feed it...

If not then at what point in gestation does the fetus have the ability to survive outside of the womb if given proper care?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 05:03:06 PM »
one could say its still a parasite after it leaves the womans body as its still requires someone to feed it...

If not then at what point in gestation does the fetus have the ability to survive outside of the womb if given proper care?

fair point

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 07:45:02 AM »
It NEVER has the criteria of parasite.

Bullshit. You don't know what the definition of a "parasite" is if you think that.

The womb is designed for babies to be developed, especially when the instigation of that process starts with an act, in which the woman VOLUNTARILY ENGAGES, 95% of the time.

Whether the womb is "designed" (it's not, but let's not quibble over this now) for gestation is irrelevant to the question "is the fetus a parasite?" As for your "statistics" (again, I use the term loosely since you pulled that number out of your ass) it doesn't matter if the "process" started with the woman voluntarily engaged in some behavior 100% of the time. That is irrelevant to the definition of a parasite.

Not really - at that point it doesn't live in or on the Mother's body, and so doesn't really meet the strict definition of a parasite. Don't split apart the definition and pick and choose what you want to keep to make your argument.

That is, certainly, an interesting question, arguments about the fetus being a parasite notwithstanding. Certainly when in utero the fetus qualifies as a parasite. But it doesn't follow it ought to be treated as such automatically, especially in the later stages of pregnancy.

My general feeling is that the fetus (barring some illness, or other medical issue) is "viable" as soon as it able to maintain homeostasis if it is provided the support that a newborn would typically be provided. Of course, in a sense that's really a criterion that's difficult, if not impossible, to judge and apply. That's why we need "bright lines" to delineate "fetus" from "baby". In a sense, the ultimate bright line is "birth" but advances in medical technology have made that line not all that useful for me.

With no special training in obstetrics, my personal take is that anything prior to four months is not viable since critical organs are not yet fully developed or able to operate at sufficient levels. I believe that the youngest premature babies to ever survive were born at about 21 weeks and still required extensive and extraordinary life-support measures; it is my understanding that anything less than 24 weeks is almost insufficient gestational time.

So I don't know that there is a hard cutoff - another bright line - that we could use, and the best we can probably hope for at this time is the "statistical" approach we currently have involving gestation time.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 08:26:15 AM »
There are machines designed to keep people who are brain dead and unresponsive alive through artificial respiration, circulation, intravenous feeding, etc...

Would you consider those people to be "alive"?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 08:33:05 AM »
Going by the strict definition, a fetus is definitely a parasite.

Noun
An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 08:50:03 AM »
Going by the strict definition, a fetus is definitely a parasite.

Noun
An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.

yes this was established earlier in the thread. Thanks for stopping by.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 09:06:06 AM »
yes this was established earlier in the thread. Thanks for stopping by.
Choke on a bag of dicks canuck.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 09:07:06 AM »
Bullshit. You don't know what the definition of a "parasite" is if you think that.

Whether the womb is "designed" (it's not, but let's not quibble over this now) for gestation is irrelevant to the question "is the fetus a parasite?" As for your "statistics" (again, I use the term loosely since you pulled that number out of your ass) it doesn't matter if the "process" started with the woman voluntarily engaged in some behavior 100% of the time. That is irrelevant to the definition of a parasite.

Not really - at that point it doesn't live in or on the Mother's body, and so doesn't really meet the strict definition of a parasite. Don't split apart the definition and pick and choose what you want to keep to make your argument.

That is, certainly, an interesting question, arguments about the fetus being a parasite notwithstanding. Certainly when in utero the fetus qualifies as a parasite. But it doesn't follow it ought to be treated as such automatically, especially in the later stages of pregnancy.

My general feeling is that the fetus (barring some illness, or other medical issue) is "viable" as soon as it able to maintain homeostasis if it is provided the support that a newborn would typically be provided. Of course, in a sense that's really a criterion that's difficult, if not impossible, to judge and apply. That's why we need "bright lines" to delineate "fetus" from "baby". In a sense, the ultimate bright line is "birth" but advances in medical technology have made that line not all that useful for me.

With no special training in obstetrics, my personal take is that anything prior to four months is not viable since critical organs are not yet fully developed or able to operate at sufficient levels. I believe that the youngest premature babies to ever survive were born at about 21 weeks and still required extensive and extraordinary life-support measures; it is my understanding that anything less than 24 weeks is almost insufficient gestational time.

So I don't know that there is a hard cutoff - another bright line - that we could use, and the best we can probably hope for at this time is the "statistical" approach we currently have involving gestation time.
by strict definition no as a baby isnt attached to the host in any way but to think that a baby isnt as dependent on a caregiver as a fetus is stupid. Even more so as childs shelter isnt a given as it is in the womb.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »
by strict definition no as a baby isnt attached to the host in any way but to think that a baby isnt as dependent on a caregiver as a fetus is stupid. Even more so as childs shelter isnt a given as it is in the womb.

are you retarded? the baby is in the host, the mother. Where does attached come from, scroll up and read the definition. I don't know why I even bother responding to your posts. Also, you are in need of tutoring on embryology and gynecology.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2013, 10:43:16 AM »
are you retarded? the baby is in the host, the mother. Where does attached come from, scroll up and read the definition. I don't know why I even bother responding to your posts. Also, you are in need of tutoring on embryology and gynecology.
LOL pardon me brain child I used the wrong adjective LMFAO im pretty sure everyone knew what i meant.

do you disagree that a baby outside the womb is just as dependent on others as a fetus?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2013, 11:03:24 AM »
LOL pardon me brain child I used the wrong adjective LMFAO im pretty sure everyone knew what i meant.

do you disagree that a baby outside the womb is just as dependent on others as a fetus?

dependent = yes

just as dependent = absolutely not

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »
dependent = yes

just as dependent = absolutely not
its not just as dependent on the care of others?

what qualifiable difference in self sustainability does child 2 mins after delivery have from a child 2 mins before?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
its not just as dependent on the care of others?

what qualifiable difference in self sustainability does child 2 mins after delivery have from a child 2 mins before?

it can breathe on it's own without depending on the host/mother

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »
I would suggest that it's slightly sociopathic to call a child at ANY stage of development a 'parasite'.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »
I would suggest that it's slightly sociopathic to call a child at ANY stage of development a 'parasite'.

No the kid needs to be on welfare before you can call it that.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2013, 11:36:55 AM »

LOL!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2013, 12:07:37 PM »
it can breathe on it's own without depending on the host/mother
touche sir

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2013, 03:49:36 PM »

Of course, I do. It appears that you, however, DO NOT. A refresher:
An organism that lives on or in an organism.....OF ANOTHER SPECIES, known as the host from the body of which it obtains nutriment.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/parasite

Now when did baby humans become a different species from adult humans again? Thanks for playing!!!

Again, see above. BTW -

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), there were 820,151 legal induced abortions in the US in 2005. About 1% is due to incest or rape and about 3% due to mothers health.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Percentage_of_abortions_due_to_rape_incest_or_danger_to_the_mothers_life

SOOOOOO...1% due rape or incest and 3% due to the mother's lives in danger. That's 4%.

Tell me, what's 100% minus 4% again?

If anything, I lowballed the percentages of abortions, done in those instances other than what's known as "hard cases".

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »
wrong, it does.

parasite.
an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment.

what opinion does he shoot down again? I don't follow.

What part of the words, ANOTHER SPECIES, did you not understand?

When that "fetus" gets out of the womb, what is it?

A wilderbeast?

A tapeworm?

A Tazmanian devil?

NOPE!!! It's a HUMAN, just like his/her mama and daddy.

A human being, nesting in a place DESIGNED for it to grow and develop, as a result of a VOLUNTARY ACT (at least 95% of the time), by two OTHER HUMAN BEINGS.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2013, 05:02:46 PM »
What part of the words, ANOTHER SPECIES, did you not understand?

When that "fetus" gets out of the womb, what is it?

A wilderbeast?

A tapeworm?

A Tazmanian devil?

NOPE!!! It's a HUMAN, just like his/her mama and daddy.

A human being, nesting in a place DEISNGED for it to grow and develop, as a result of a VOLUNTARY ACT (at least 95% of the time), by two OTHER HUMAN BEINGS.
hahah nice catch

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2013, 05:08:14 PM »
hahah nice catch

Thanks. Now let's hear Necrosis and Avxo explain how baby humans are different species than adult humans.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »
Thanks. Now let's hear Necrosis and Avxo explain how baby humans are different species than adult humans.

;D