Author Topic: the gambler - mark walberg  (Read 5825 times)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: the gambler - mark walberg
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 09:00:54 PM »
Lol, seriously, anyone who's seen the original knows how shitty and stylised this version is. And the bad guys? Give me a break, they come off like grumpy bankers with a bad case of gas. No menace there. Seriously, how do you make Omar from the Wire seem soft?

You want menace, try -

Prosky in Thief -

The movement  and mannerism of Al Letteri as Rudy or Sollozzo in The Getaway or The Godfather -

Tim Carey in The Outfit (Start 3 minutes in) -

or Gary Oldman as Drexl in True Romance -

And then watch The Gambler  ::).

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 09:08:17 PM »
I'm talking about his dialog you fuck tard.  Actually looks more like 350-ish

What earth shattering dialogue was that?

He owes the supposedly ruthless bad guys a lot of money. They visit him 5-6 times to collect or threaten Wahlberg into paying. Each time he says he doesn't have the money and he's not going to try to get it. Each time they let him go with nothing but a stern warning.

Only thing scary in this turd of a movie was Jessica Lange's face.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 12:12:19 AM »
Three Kings?

no the true story one

where they are all killed apart from him

he is saved by an afghan village
T

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 12:28:39 AM »
no the true story one

Lone survivor

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 05:42:16 AM »

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 05:52:28 AM »
I don't like Whalberg....he's a shit actor, I only watched Pain & Gain cos of the Rock.

He's manlet on top of that, when I meet a manlet I dislike them immediately then they have to work their way up from there for me to change my mind.

S

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 06:11:03 AM »
He's manlet on top of that, when I meet a manlet I dislike them immediately then they have to work their way up from there for me to change my mind.

Holy shit was that funny.
Y

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 06:59:35 AM »
I thought it was entertaining but kinda left me cold.......I agree it was weird how these stone cold ruthless moneylenders would jkeep giving hima chance even when he basically said fuck you to their faces...However I';m gona explain it away as them realizing that he had them by the balls as well because if  they kill him then they NEVER get their money...this was bourne out in the end when EVERONE got their dough.....second , I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that even though they were kicking his ass and threatening him, they had a secret admiration and affection for him because he was badass in terms of him taking big time chances gambling with high stakes and his general ballsiness........

in the original Gambler, the gambler gets his comeuppance by arranging to seriously injure himself on purpose as a general reminder never to gamble again..I thought they were going to do that at the end of the movie when he is seen running through various neighborhoods...I thought he was headed to the bad side of town to do what I described above 

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 07:05:41 AM »

LEGENDARY!!! Haven't seen that movie in at least 10 years.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 07:11:35 AM »
LEGENDARY!!! Haven't seen that movie in at least 10 years.

True Romance is one of the most underrated films of all times.  Godo enough that Christian Slater was tolerable.  If you want a good speech from that movie don't show Drexel but instead Christopher Walkins when he's told that sicilians are neeegers.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 07:24:15 AM »
True Romance is one of the most underrated films of all times.  Godo enough that Christian Slater was tolerable.  If you want a good speech from that movie don't show Drexel but instead Christopher Walkins when he's told that sicilians are neeegers.

Was actually one of the first scripts by Tarantino. Tony Scott did an awesome job though, wouldn't have been a better movie if Tarantino had directed it himself.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 07:42:02 AM »
Was actually one of the first scripts by Tarantino. Tony Scott did an awesome job though, wouldn't have been a better movie if Tarantino had directed it himself.

I think the movie title is part of the problem.  When I first saw it on VHS I thought what the fuck is this romantic movie but saw Tarantino's name on it and gave it a shot.  I then watched it a few more times that weekend and made my whole family watch it.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 07:56:04 AM »
no the true story one

Lone Survivor-book is way more gut wrenching, especially when he talks about how Murphy really died.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 12:02:59 PM »
I don't like Whalberg....he's a shit actor, I only watched Pain & Gain cos of the Rock.

At least he is caucasian. Plus he IS. Haters are just wannabe's.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »

Wahlberg is delusional. Clear cut case of a Megalomanic...

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2015, 03:26:27 PM »
Goodman always delivers, loved his character in death sentence but again not a lot of screentime

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2015, 04:38:34 PM »
Goodman always delivers, loved his character in death sentence but again not a lot of screentime

He was great in Revenge of he nerds and Babe Ruth

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2015, 01:03:04 AM »
Another good John Goodman film is - "Kingfish: A Story of Huey P. Long" about the assassinated Louisiana senator. First film where I really noticed him outside of comedic roles. Sorta like John Candy in JFK.

Also he isn't bad as a gangster in "In The Electric Mist" based on the James Lee Burke novel. Not a great film by any means, but not terrible by any means also, much better than the trailer shows. The real stars are Goodman, and the beautiful Louisiana scenery -

And you can watch the full film here -

http://www.hulu.com/watch/207967 .

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 01:43:27 AM »

Lone Survivor-book is way more gut wrenching, especially when he talks about how Murphy really died.

il check it out cheers
T

Ron Harrigan

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2015, 01:47:55 AM »
Another good John Goodman film is - "Kingfish: A Story of Huey P. Long" about the assassinated Louisiana senator. First film where I really noticed him outside of comedic roles. Sorta like John Candy in JFK.

Also he isn't bad as a gangster in "In The Electric Mist" based on the James Lee Burke novel. Not a great film by any means, but not terrible by any means also, much better than the trailer shows. The real stars are Goodman, and the beautiful Louisiana scenery -

And you can watch the full film here -

http://www.hulu.com/watch/207967 .

Aren't John Goodman and John Candy the same guy?

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 01:48:53 AM »

One of the best movies ever - certainly one of Tarentinos best - didn't get
the same sort of praise as Pulp Fiction or Dogs but imo it's better than those two,
what a cast also.