Author Topic: Can someone explain Crossfit?  (Read 4982 times)

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
Re: Can someone explain Crossfit?
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »

Trust your instincts.

I suspect most people who "do" Crossfit are like the ones you see massively failing in YouTube montages. They have little or no proper instruction, and the only thing they're working on is an injury.

There's also something to be said about an institution that uses 25 lb plates that are the same diameter as conventional 45 lb plates, just much thinner. Is this to make them feel better about something?

If you want training variety, why not just learn traditional Olympic lifts the right way? Also, many gyms offer various fitness classes, most with plenty of hot babes enrolled. There's your motivation and conditioning. Most of all, you'll receive proper instruction and be less likely to hurt yourself.

Additionally, no one will laugh at you for doing "kipping pull-ups."

All bumper plates are the same diameter. From 5lb - 45lb. They used mostly for o-lifts. 5-10lb plates are training weights to simulate the height of a regular size plate especially when.pulling from the ground. They're ya have in a nutshell....bumper plate. Also, for dropping onto a platform

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »
25lb olympic bumper plates the same diameter as 45lbs are used for standard height in olympic lifting for small women and beginner lifters. They even have 10lbs plates. It's not used for some  conspiracy  of deception. They even have aluminum bars for the same reason.

I'm sure every getbigger can rep out with 275lbs in the clean to show a cross fit guy how it's done.

I don't even do cross fit but I sense a lot of insecurity that goes hand in hand with bodybuilding.

Tightskin

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 07:37:41 PM »

-they dont engage into that dieting bs of so and so many meals for growth

Paleo

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 09:00:15 PM »
All bumper plates are the same diameter. From 5lb - 45lb. They used mostly for o-lifts. 5-10lb plates are training weights to simulate the height of a regular size plate especially when.pulling from the ground. They're ya have in a nutshell....bumper plate. Also, for dropping onto a platform

Thank you, much better explanation than I could give.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 09:18:59 PM »

next teach me how to dougie

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 09:19:17 PM »
 ;D

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
(twinkies * gayrobics^3 + (light weight *bad form))- Manliness = crossfit
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 10:42:58 PM »
Thank you, much better explanation than I could give.

You're welcome.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 10:47:11 PM »
when i looked pretty good i did alot of cardio every day got weak as hell no way i couldve done those lifts but i looked like i couldve. i enjoyed the vince gironda method , short rest light weights 8 reps sets then did alot of cardio
except Vince didnt believe in cardio

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 04:10:09 AM »

Thank you. I'm glad someone could answer my question. I just expected it to be someone who practices and defends Crossfit; not the opposite.

Now, can you explain the horrible form we see in Crossfit fail vids? I'm referring to the kind you yourself have posted here, in which we see the most horrible "form" on a clean with an "instructor" standing right there. Is that teaching them anything but the right way to do the lift?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 04:17:11 AM »
Dedicated Crossfit plus drugs can do AMAZING things to a woman's body. Just look through bradistani's thread "Women of CrossFit, Fitness & Athletics"..
Fixed.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 04:45:56 AM »

Thank you. I'm glad someone could answer my question. I just expected it to be someone who practices and defends Crossfit; not the opposite.

Now, can you explain the horrible form we see in Crossfit fail vids? I'm referring to the kind you yourself have posted here, in which we see the most horrible "form" on a clean with an "instructor" standing right there. Is that teaching them anything but the right way to do the lift?

Well, I would imagine that since you pointed out olympic lifting that you would have realized that all plates should be same diameter.

In addition, there is no explanation for the form in those videos.  Just like there is no explanation for the form seen by many 'bodybuilding' videos.  I agree with Joe that just because you happen to make it through some weekend course that doesn't make you some expert on teaching the movement.  How many personal trainers do you see having people do stupid shit?  Answer = very often.

Just a nice little example.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 04:51:57 AM »

Trust your instincts.

I suspect most people who "do" Crossfit are like the ones you see massively failing in YouTube montages. They have little or no proper instruction, and the only thing they're working on is an injury.

There's also something to be said about an institution that uses 25 lb plates that are the same diameter as conventional 45 lb plates, just much thinner. Is this to make them feel better about something?

If you want training variety, why not just learn traditional Olympic lifts the right way? Also, many gyms offer various fitness classes, most with plenty of hot babes enrolled. There's your motivation and conditioning. Most of all, you'll receive proper instruction and be less likely to hurt yourself.

Additionally, no one will laugh at you for doing "kipping pull-ups."

Haha my gym has introduced these now. But I think it can be justified because they're easier to hold and pick up from the floor if they're as big as a normal weight. I also suppose it's easier if you're going to perfect your form to do it with plates resembling the normal ones instead of doing it with small ones.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 04:57:53 AM »
The crossfitters at my gym seem to have good physiques, equivalent to those who just do weight lifting 3x8. Often the weight lifters look more bulked but underneath the fat layers they probably would look like a crossfitter.

Sometimes, disheartening as it sounds, it feels like if you're a real natural you can do crossfit, weights, pushups whatever rep ranges you want and still have the same physique you were born to have.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 05:16:04 AM »
Haha my gym has introduced these now. But I think it can be justified because they're easier to hold and pick up from the floor if they're as big as a normal weight. I also suppose it's easier if you're going to perfect your form to do it with plates resembling the normal ones instead of doing it with small ones.

What exactly would that change? Actually, smaller volume for the same weight would probably better as the weight would be have more density close to the bar. The only obvious thing, which everyone those, is to stack the heavier weights first.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 05:20:03 AM »
Well, I would imagine that since you pointed out olympic lifting that you would have realized that all plates should be same diameter.

In addition, there is no explanation for the form in those videos.  Just like there is no explanation for the form seen by many 'bodybuilding' videos.  I agree with Joe that just because you happen to make it through some weekend course that doesn't make you some expert on teaching the movement.  How many personal trainers do you see having people do stupid shit?  Answer = very often.

Just a nice little example.

Fair enough. 8)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 05:22:15 AM »
Dedicated Crossfit can do AMAZING things to a woman's body. Just look through bradistani's thread "Women of CrossFit, Fitness & Athletics"..

This is true of any woman who engages in regular intensive physical activity though, it's not unique to Crossfit.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 05:25:52 AM »

Fair enough. 8)

Re: weights, I could very well be wrong (and a quick google search would handle this) but I think the 5lb and 2.5lb weights are not olympic sized. 

There was a video I was going to post of this trainer having a woman do curls on BOSU ball.  Client fell off and face planted.  I can't find it anymore. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 05:26:27 AM »
Re: weights, I could very well be wrong (and a quick google search would handle this) but I think the 5lb and 2.5lb weights are not olympic sized. 

There was a video I was going to post of this trainer having a woman do curls on BOSU ball.  Client fell off and face planted.  I can't find it anymore. 

Don't worry. There'll be more. ;)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 08:31:25 AM »
One of the biggest problems I have with crossfit, is the pairing up of a high repetition o-lift or power-lift with some other high intensity exercise with little if any recovery. That's where high rates of injury come in. Separate the two and keep the power exercises separate, train them as they should be with good technique, keep the reps low and recovery between 2-3min, THEN go to the auxiliary stuff. Again, separate the two and all thats really left is GPP work.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 08:59:49 AM »
crossfit = natural bodybuilding/weight lifting basically. But "bodybuilding" being a pejorative  term, people prefer to label it with another more "healthy" , edgy sounding expression. Even if most people who lift weights whatever the name they give to their activity all do it to get more muscular and enhance their appearance. They dont want to be labeled as "meatheads", superficial  egomaniacs like bodybuilders, and they pretend that the way they train is more "functional" when in fact they do it to have a better body shape, not for functionality as most people dont even work physical jobs.

Any person who ve been training with weights to develop muscularity , using what they can to achieve results, have been "crossfitters" then, since decades...

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »
Crossfit:

Take a explosive, technical movement and turn it into a cardio movement by doing 30 atrocious reps, using as much 5kg plates you can find.

Sums it up quite well.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »
Crossfit:

Take a explosive, technical movement and turn it into a cardio movement by doing 30 atrocious reps, using as much 5kg plates you can find.

Sums it up quite well.
basically, natural bodybuilding for ectomorphes who cant lift weights mesos or endos can move.  9 times out of ten so called self proclaimed crossfiters are ectos in the first place. Ectos who got some toned muscles cause they ve been lifting weights for some years doing the basic exercises at home or in a gym. It has been known for centuries as... physical conditionning, as simple as that. You do cardio or lift weights , be careful about your nutrition, you re doing physical conditionning for health.

Mesos call their practice of lifting weights bodybuilding, endos call it "powerlifting or weightlifting", ectos call it... crossfiting.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
(twinkies * gayrobics^3 + (light weight *bad form))- Manliness = crossfit

;D ;D ;D

Hate most of those hipster fagrats but I do respect the effort.