Author Topic: how much is your heating bill (non electric)  (Read 1825 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: how much is your heating bill (non electric)
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »
Yup cellulose is good shit. They can blow it into the outside walls too. They just core small holes here and there and blow it in so there is minimal patching of the sheetrock. If you want to get away from oil Johnay, look into the new condensing gas wall hung heaters. Super efficient, they dont maintain any volume of heated water. Like your oil boiler has maybe 25 gallons of water in it and even if you arent using the heat, the boiler is kicking on to maintain the temp of the water in the boiler. The gas heaters only turn on when you kick on the heat or hot water and it's essentially "instant" hot. There no pilot either like the older gas heaters so no wasted gas there. The system is prob about $4000 for labor and material. The big thing is weather you have natural gas or propane. i am guessing you have propane Falycon, so you would need a gas bottle which hikes up the cost of the system unfortunately. Unless of course you rent the bottle from the gas company but then you are locked in to their pricing
id like to get away from oil but stuck with it i figure obama falcons would bring down the price
A

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 02:50:54 PM »
id like to get away from oil but stuck with it i figure obama falcons would bring down the price
You re not stuck with it, simply remove it and install electrical convector heaters linked to your electrical panel under all windows in all rooms. Then install a modern economic wood stove at the junction of living room/dining room/ kitchen. it s like 1000 bucks to buy and install a wood stove and the stuff in the chimney if you do it by yourself, dont know about the cost of removing an oil furnace and paying an electrician to install convecters tho. But all in all it's not the biggest expense. It would have been a better idea to pick a house with correct insulation/heating system from the get go, or at least only with a good heating system, insulation not costing that much or being hard to do yourself...
Do you have a basement?

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 02:53:35 PM »
Feel your pain, I fucking ran out of oil last night! I thought I had at least another couple weeks left and woke up this morning and it was 54 in the house. $3.64 a gallon for dirty ass unrefined homeheating oil. How the fuck is diesel/home heating oil more expensive than gasoline? Been installing a shit ton of these gas heaters at work lately. The gas company's up here are giving rebates if you convert your system.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 02:53:51 PM »
$220 a month year round for gas. My house has a heater for the first floor and one for the second floor.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 02:55:46 PM »
You re not stuck with it, simply remove it and install convector heaters linked to your electrical panel under all windows in all rooms. Then install a modern economic wood stove at the junction of living room/dining room/ kitchen. it s like 1000 bucks to buy and install a wood stove and the stuff in the chimney if you do it by yourself, dont know about the cost of removing an oil furnace and paying an electrician to install convecters tho. But all in all it's not the biggest expense. It would have been a better idea to pick a house with correct insulation/heating system from the get go... Do you have a basement?

Does this take surface plumbing to achieve, because I have feeling it might and frankly, a home with  pipes running through the walls from the stove to the radiators looks ugly as shit

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 02:56:57 PM »
You re not stuck with it, simply remove it and install convector heaters linked to your electrical panel under all windows in all rooms. Then install a modern economic wood stove at the junction of living room/dining room/ kitchen. it s like 1000 bucks to buy and install a wood stove and the stuff in the chimney if you do it by yourself, dont know about the cost of removing an oil furnace and paying an electrician to install convecters tho. But all in all it's not the biggest expense. It would have been a better idea to pick a house with correct insulation/heating system from the get go, or at least only with a good heating system, insulation not costing that much or being hard to do yourself...
Do you have a basement?
yeah i have a huuuge basement most of my heat is wasted there, the furnace is in the basement, i got a one story house, i got this house cause it has alot of land
A

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »
Does this take surface plumbing to achieve, because I have feeling it might and frankly, a home with  pipes running through the walls from the stove to the radiators looks ugly as shit
I'm talking about baseboard electrical units, not hot water convectors requiring pipes lol.
Again everyone here replaced all old systems (hot water heated by oil or pulsed air using oil) by electrical ones + one or two wood stoves depending of the number of levels/floors in your house.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 03:03:28 PM »
yeah i have a huuuge basement most of my heat is wasted there, the furnace is in the basement, i got a one story house, i got this house cause it has alot of land

pretty basic old installation there with basic old problems of such installations, basement always being too cold in winters, nice in summer tho. Are basement and first floor separated by a door or do they communicate freely? Some people manage to simply heat the first floor where they live most of the time and forget about heating the basement, but it can create major humidity /quality of air troubles.

Again for all the kinds of bungalow types houses built in the 60s, there s no better way than replacing old insulation panels by new ones, replacing old wooden windows in basement by pvc ones, replacing oil systems by electrical ones, and adding one or two wooden stoves in basement and first floor.

Wood stove has to be very carefully placed, preferably in the center of the house to heat the rooms where most of the family will spend most of the time off course. Hot air traveling along top of walls ceiling you have to have no obstacles between rooms, and if you leave doors or sleeping rooms open at night it can also heat them. You can place a second wooden stove in the basement to heat it the same way, depends oof how many rooms you have/want to build there. You have to keep basement dry to prevent humidity so it has to be heated tho. Your main heating system is suposed to heat both first floor and basement with balance, the problem is that wether they re electrical or oil based, they cost a lot especially in cold countries, still electrical beats oil. You cant put two wood stoves on one chimney you have to have a separate chimney for each one. Also there s a danger to having a wooden stove in the basement; most of the time people cant see if something goes wrong / a fire starts when it s down there, living most of the time on the first floor. It's less safe.

The contractor who inspected our house before we decided to buy it told us the best installation is a wooden stove linked to an old chimney, placed in the center of the house, with as few walls as possible, and to have electrical baseboads heaters in all rooms both on first floor and basement under the windows. Thermostat controlling main electrical heating system has to be carefuly placed too. The point of the whole thing is to have the wood stove heating the first floor all winter long for cheap, and main electrical heating system replacing it when you dont put wood in it. The difficulty is to heat the basement correctly, with independant electrical baseboard heaters that are not linked to the thermostat and that you will turn on/off only when you re in the room. Basically it's about keeping the whole first floor warm all winter long, and the rooms you stay in the basement warm using electrical baseboard units, while NOT heating the rooms where you dont spend much time. Still, you have to keep the whole basement warm enough even if colder than first floor and heated rooms so humidity doenst start to create troubles. A wood stove placed on a floor (first floor or basement) where there are many walls / rooms is pointless, it will only overheat the room it's in.

there are many pdf on the internet about all of this. A house needs a good hat , a good vest and a good pair of boots against weather.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
i hear closing vents is a bad idea because it decreases over all air flow in your system

Raises the static pressure on the air handler

Thats right ..but damn 400 is alot most I pay around 200 winter months...maybe some more insulation is in order.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »
Thats right ..but damn 400 is alot most I pay around 200 winter months...maybe some more insulation is in order.
my mom and day pay a lil above 200 on propane heat
A

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
North of Boston
10 rooms,5 zones,natural gas,forced hot water,baseboard radiators
1500 /yr.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 03:24:41 PM »
my mom and day pay a lil above 200 on propane heat
Thats what I got propane, see the price has dropped a bit on that lately. Insulation is key.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »

I pay about $30 a month, primary heat is a quality woodstove with a couple of those electric oil filled radiators in cool spots. I don`t have a furnace but designed my central air system with a return over the woodstove. I can run my A/C fan and move warm air throughout the house.
 Woodstove in your basement would be the way to go, nothing like warm floors.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 03:55:24 PM »
Heating? Maybe 3 bucks a year.  ;D it's 63 degrees right now.  8)
A

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 04:34:08 PM »
I live in NH and I have a pretty big house to heat. I use pellet stoves to heat the house in the winter. I go through about 4 tons each winter, with the cost about $250/ton delivered. That gets me through about 6 months of needing heat. I do have central heat (propane), but I try not to use that unless I have to.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »
600/mth Nov-Mar.   Not much after that.    Considering geothermal, or possibly a pellet stove.
Y

Jizzacked

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 06:21:55 PM »
400 a month at the moment for me as well.  keep the heat at 65 pretty much all the time... fucking oil is $4 a gallon... think I will be bouncing up out of here soon, don't need this much space anyways and costs a lot to maintain

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 06:37:11 PM »
600/mth Nov-Mar.   Not much after that.    Considering geothermal, or possibly a pellet stove.

Damn that's high maybe a wood stove is in order.

leadhead

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 06:48:37 PM »
Around $180 in the winter (north Florida, 1950 sq ft heated). I don't even use my centralized wood burning stove because the house is so efficient already. That and rattlesnakes seem to love staying around the woodpile.

Johnny you might think about closing off the basement and/or its fairly easy ( but itchy) to insulate your roof with the strips of insulation yourself. Blown insulation is the best (and less invasive) for the walls as already suggested.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »
mine has been roughly 400 dollars a month wich is way to high but i have an oil furnace an my girl has been turning it up too much so i had to put her in her place but oil is fucking high, ive made some huge changes though but im guesing not much info on super cheap heating sources?

i know a good solar system setup is 30 grand  :'(

i dont wanna run a bunch of space heaters and put too much stress on the wiring

i could probably chop up woood i do have a chimney but i dont know anything about a chimney sweep i need to research that i dont wanna have a good ole fire and smoke blowing all in they house

Aren't heat pumps common in your area?
:

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 07:08:38 PM »
Around $180 in the winter (north Florida, 1950 sq ft heated). I don't even use my centralized wood burning stove because the house is so efficient already. That and rattlesnakes seem to love staying around the woodpile.

Johnny you might think about closing off the basement and/or its fairly easy ( but itchy) to insulate your roof with the strips of insulation yourself. Blown insulation is the best (and less invasive) for the walls as already suggested.
Excellent other than rattlesnakes I keep my shotgun by side.