Author Topic: CPA, or something else?  (Read 4774 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
CPA, or something else?
« on: March 09, 2013, 12:43:17 AM »
Sup guys.

this board has some really knowledgeable people on it.

wondering what your advice is for somebody who still has the option to major and get certifications in basically any field.

I am graduating in a few weeks with my bachelors in business management, have applied for two universities for the fall which i will most likely get accepted to. both have great programs in accounting that are geared towards CPA licensure and are heavily recruited by local businesses.

but i am wondering if there might be a better route before i commit to this. I like the idea of being a professional acccountant and maybe one day a CFO, I like dealing with budgets and related work. Desk job, intellectual, cash, etc. I could really enjoy it. however i could enjoy just about any intellectual profession where i have some responsibility over some real issues.

i have considered switching to a civil engineering degree. an economics degree. an MBA. and even an Information Technologies route even though im completely uneducated on the subject simply because i know its one of the most in demand career fields.

what do you guys think is the field that needs skilled work the most, and that will get the most compensation, and the most real responsibility over tangible projects  ?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: CPA, or something else?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:31:48 PM »
you havent worked at all in accounting but you think you would like to be an accountant?

accounting in school is nothing like accounting in the real world and before you are able to tackle any projects with tangible results or be in the position of controller or CFO you will need years of boring accounting experience. I would say go into something in financial management like advising, analyst or perhaps auditing.

you need to start getting real world experience not only for your resume but to see what you like and dont like.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:00:15 PM »
I am fully aware of the need to put in years of entry level work as a regular CPA before there would be any chance of promotion. The only chance of being a CFO would come after accuumulating a long track record of dependability, professionalism, quality work, satisfied clients, and positive influence to other employees in the company.

Financial management?  Like a consultant ? Or an internal data analyst?

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:56:46 AM »
I am fully aware of the need to put in years of entry level work as a regular CPA before there would be any chance of promotion. The only chance of being a CFO would come after accuumulating a long track record of dependability, professionalism, quality work, satisfied clients, and positive influence to other employees in the company.

Financial management?  Like a consultant ? Or an internal data analyst?

you'll be lucky to get a job as a phone jockey, peter nibbler

hope this helps
K

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 02:02:51 AM »
On how the mighty have fallen.  :-\

But bump for more cpa info, I'm curious too.