Author Topic: MLB 2013  (Read 33596 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: MLB 2013
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2013, 08:22:12 AM »
I hate the second wild card.

Even though it's basically the only chance my Yankees have of making the post season, it's ridiculous that teams playing at the level they are have a shot, when other teams are much more deserving.

It's going to be a sad baseball day when an 81 win team eliminates a 93 win team.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »

Even though it's basically the only chance my Yankees have of making the post season, it's ridiculous that teams playing at the level they are have a shot, when other teams are much more deserving.

It's going to be a sad baseball day when an 81 win team eliminates a 93 win team.

What makes you think an 81 win team could qualify for the 2nd wildcard in the first place? Tampa Bay, Texas, O's , and Indians look like they're going to clear 90 wins this year and be in the running for that spot. I'd say 85 wins would be the bare minimum to have a shot but a .500 team? Don't see that happening unless they come up with a 3rd wildcard.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »
What makes you think an 81 win team could qualify for the 2nd wildcard in the first place? Tampa Bay, Texas, O's , and Indians look like they're going to clear 90 wins this year and be in the running for that spot. I'd say 85 wins would be the bare minimum to have a shot but a .500 team? Don't see that happening unless they come up with a 3rd wildcard.

I'm not basing it solely on this year, but the point wasn't to get into that level of specificity.   But, to use your example, make it an 85 win team beating a 95 win team.  My opinion doesnt change.

The vagaries of baseball make it as much luck and timing as it is skill when played in samll samples.  10 wins is enormous of the course of a season, and a team should not have to play a one game playoff with a team that performed so much worse.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »
I'm not basing it solely on this year, but the point wasn't to get into that level of specificity.   But, to use your example, make it an 85 win team beating a 95 win team.  My opinion doesnt change.

The vagaries of baseball make it as much luck and timing as it is skill when played in samll samples.  10 wins is enormous of the course of a season, and a team should not have to play a one game playoff with a team that performed so much worse.

Bro....it's the same as football......a 9-7 division winner would host a 12-4 wild card team. that's just how it goes. And I'm sure you wern't complaining when your 9-7 Giants won the division, got to host a playoff game, and ultimately won the superbowl as a 9 win team.

I'm sure you will argue that it's not the same but I think it is.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2013, 12:29:06 PM »
Bro....it's the same as football......a 9-7 division winner would host a 12-4 wild card team. that's just how it goes. And I'm sure you wern't complaining when your 9-7 Giants won the division, got to host a playoff game, and ultimately won the superbowl as a 9 win team.

I'm sure you will argue that it's not the same but I think it is.

Not an argument, just a discussion.  I like your views on shit, and if  we all felt the same, this would suck.

The difference for me in the football sample is the 162 game vs. 16 game season.  Football is always about one game.   Baseball is about series, and the grind over the long haul.   Teams can be structured very differently, each one advantageous based on sample size.   A  team with 2 "A" pitchers and 2 "Cs" and a "D" would have the advantage in a short series over a team with 5 "Bs", but the 5 B team would do better over 162.   That's just a basic example, as I know hitting, etc. is invovled.  But the point is, it is a grind, and the team that plays the best over that grind by a wide margin shouldn't have a one game playoff.  Baseball doesn't work like that.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2013, 01:25:09 PM »
Not an argument, just a discussion.  I like your views on shit, and if  we all felt the same, this would suck.

The difference for me in the football sample is the 162 game vs. 16 game season.  Football is always about one game.   Baseball is about series, and the grind over the long haul.   Teams can be structured very differently, each one advantageous based on sample size.   A  team with 2 "A" pitchers and 2 "Cs" and a "D" would have the advantage in a short series over a team with 5 "Bs", but the 5 B team would do better over 162.   That's just a basic example, as I know hitting, etc. is invovled.  But the point is, it is a grind, and the team that plays the best over that grind by a wide margin shouldn't have a one game playoff.  Baseball doesn't work like that.

I see your point. For instance, I hated that the NBA playoff format in the first round was best 3 out of 5 after an 82 game season. But ironically.....Now that the format has changed to best 4 out of 7 in the first, it seems like too many games because they space out too many days in between the games.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »
I see your point. For instance, I hated that the NBA playoff format in the first round was best 3 out of 5 after an 82 game season. But ironically.....Now that the format has changed to best 4 out of 7 in the first, it seems like too many games because they space out too many days in between the games.

Exactly.   I felt the same way about the 3 out of 5 in t he Division Seriers rounds of baseball, and still do.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2013, 01:47:03 PM »
Exactly.   I felt the same way about the 3 out of 5 in t he Division Seriers rounds of baseball, and still do.

I agree. I feel that the 3 out of 5 division format always is to the benefit of the underdog because of the points you made in your earlier post.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2013, 01:47:52 PM »

the only thing i like about the second wild caed is that the two teams usually use their best pitcher. this gives an advantage to the teams that win the divisions. otherwise they the wildcard team had little disadvantage.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2013, 01:49:59 PM »
look at football if you have a weak division 7-9 makes it. i rember the patriots going 11-5 and not making playoffs. giants 9-7 win superbowl 16-0  meaniless.
F

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »
look at football if you have a weak division 7-9 makes it. i rember the patriots going 11-5 and not making playoffs. giants 9-7 win superbowl 16-0  meaniless.

Actually, the harder the division, the more likely you will have a 9-7 or 8-8 team will make the playoffs.

I do not recall a 7-9 team making the playoffs, but I guess it may have happened in the past.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2013, 07:04:23 AM »
Actually, the harder the division, the more likely you will have a 9-7 or 8-8 team will make the playoffs.

I do not recall a 7-9 team making the playoffs, but I guess it may have happened in the past.

Seattle did it a couple of seasons ago. Won the NFC west at 7-9 AND beat the defending champs N.O. Saints in a playoff game that they HOSTED.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »

Not sure about other states but in Texas high school football I have seen teams go 3 and 7 get in by losing all their non district games, which don't count, then winning against weak inter divisional opponents. I think even a 2 and 8 team can get in but can't remember it happening.

In a stacked division like in the Houston area or the Odessa Midland area of the 80s you could theoretically have 3 teams tied at 9 and 1 and one of those wouldn't even get in by virtue of "only 2 allowed entrance requirement" although I think they changed that rule a few years ago.

Imagine going 9 and 1 and MISSING the playoffs!  :-[

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »
Seattle did it a couple of seasons ago. Won the NFC west at 7-9 AND beat the defending champs N.O. Saints in a playoff game that they HOSTED.

That must be the only time in history... It's not like that kind of thing can happen often... Maybe once every 50 - 60 years?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2013, 08:28:08 AM »
That must be the only time in history... It's not like that kind of thing can happen often... Maybe once every 50 - 60 years?

First time it's ever happened in the NFL since they went to a 16 game season.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2013, 02:46:40 PM »
Yu Darvish strikes out a career high 15, loses the perfect game in the 6th(after a blatant missed strike call) then the no hitter in the 8th as Texas goes on to retain a 1 game lead in the AL West.

Yu is on target to have the 3rd highest total in strikeouts for a players second season..probably will end up just below Dwight Gooden's total.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2013, 07:40:12 AM »
al....o soriano on a tear for yankees 14 rbi's 10 hits in three games. phillies are buried  actually fell behind the mets the ultimate embarassment.
F

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
al....o soriano on a tear for yankees 14 rbi's 10 hits in three games. phillies are buried  actually fell behind the mets the ultimate embarassment.

Yup.  Yankees finally have something resembling an MLB lineup.  Likely too little, too late, but who knows?
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2013, 11:37:08 AM »
breaking news charlie manuel out as phillies manager. let the ryne sandberg era begin. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
F

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2013, 05:17:36 AM »

1967 Colts were 11-1-2, missed the playoffs (only division champions went to the playoffs at that time, and the Rams won the division at 12-1-1...only to be beaten by the 9-4-1 Packers, who then won the Ice Bowl, then Super Bowl II)

1987 Twins won the World Series at 85-78...one of the recent Cardinals teams that won the WS was even closer to .500 during the season

~

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2013, 06:43:56 AM »
1967 Colts were 11-1-2, missed the playoffs (only division champions went to the playoffs at that time, and the Rams won the division at 12-1-1...only to be beaten by the 9-4-1 Packers, who then won the Ice Bowl, then Super Bowl II)

1987 Twins won the World Series at 85-78...one of the recent Cardinals teams that won the WS was even closer to .500 during the season

good find andy. i like to see a team penalized somewhat to get in as a wildcard, in the case of baseball that extra game seems right.  you burn your best pitcher putting you at a disadvantage in the next round.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
i was at another milestone philly game yesterday, ryne sandberg's first win as philly manager . it wasn't pretty but a wins a win in a dismal season. i was at philly whem the hated joe carter got his 2000th  hit in an interleague game. was also at yankee stad. for jeter's 3000 hit one section away from where his 3000 hit landed in the stands homerun.
F

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2013, 08:21:49 AM »
i was at another milestone philly game yesterday, ryne sandberg's first win as philly manager . it wasn't pretty but a wins a win in a dismal season. i was at philly whem the hated joe carter got his 2000th  hit in an interleague game. was also at yankee stad. for jeter's 3000 hit one section away from where his 3000 hit landed in the stands homerun.

They almost stopped the Dodgers streak a game or 2 ago didn't they? Seems like I heard it was was tied late in the game.

Boy you wanna talk about a red hot team, that's the Dodgers.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »
I was hoping the Dodgers would tank this year for making one of the dumbest trades I'd ever seen - bailing the Red Sox out of two shitty contracts AND giving up prospects to boot.

They're a juggernaut now.
Y

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »
I like the new playoff system because it should make teams want to really go all out and win their division...Would suck losing in a one game playoff...Also winning your division will let you set up your pitching starters for the playoffs. Having to win a one game playoff will make teams have to re-think throwing out their ace...Many different scenario's now come into play...