Author Topic: Sim City = MEGA FAIL  (Read 1547 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Sim City = MEGA FAIL
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »
The same thing happened to me back in 2001 when I bought WWII Online.  That game was supposed to be epic and no one was able to play it due to server issues.  You were supposed to be able to play with 10,000 people plus at once.

It was a pretty unique game in that actual distances were mapped mile for mile and the damage models were incredibly accurate, even by today`s standards.

Its still going strong and has been updated actually and plays quite well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_Online

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:12:10 PM »
The same thing happened to me back in 2001 when I bought WWII Online.  That game was supposed to be epic and no one was able to play it due to server issues.  You were supposed to be able to play with 10,000 people plus at once.

It was a pretty unique game in that actual distances were mapped mile for mile and the damage models were incredibly accurate, even by today`s standards.

Its still going strong and has been updated actually and plays quite well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_Online

That's interesting -- I didn't know that game was still around. I imagine that the playerbase is a somewhat small but dedicated group? Is there any room for griefing?

Company of Heroes is the best WWII-era game I've ever played, though I'm sure that the mechanics it employs would be amazing in just about any setting.

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-41018ted-Edition2-SimCity/dp/B007VTVRFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362970274&sr=8-1&keywords=sim+city

Damn!!!

Amazon review bombing is a cheap tactic employed by a crowd of petulant turds who get mad when a product isn't precisely what they expect it to be. This leads to spiteful and at times arbitrary bombings, such as when Mass Effect 3 was bombed due to its (admittedly shitty) ending. As best as I was able to tell, the game was very good despite the ending, especially the multiplayer.

While bombing can in principle be a means of expressing valid protestation (such as when one is ripped off), as of right now it is a trolling tool. That said, I doubt it impacts sales any.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »
Sim City simply is not working.

That's interesting -- I didn't know that game was still around. I imagine that the playerbase is a somewhat small but dedicated group? Is there any room for griefing?

Company of Heroes is the best WWII-era game I've ever played, though I'm sure that the mechanics it employs would be amazing in just about any setting.

Amazon review bombing is a cheap tactic employed by a petulant crowd of hardcore gamers who get mad when a game isn't precisely what they expect it to be. This leads to spiteful and at times arbitrary bombings, such as when Mass Effect 3 was bombed due to its (admittedly shitty) ending; as best as I was able to tell, the game was great despite the ending, especially the multiplayer. While bombing can in principle be a legitimate means of expressing valid protestation, as of right now it is as described above.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 08:21:16 PM »
Sim City simply is not working.

Well, to the extent that that's true, the bombing may be legitimate.

The problem is that many games run into bumps early on and are subsequently improved such that they become quality products, whereas the initial negative reviews are permanent. Given that dev cycles are tight and games often must be "completed" by a deadline the publisher imposes, it isn't necessarily fair to punish developers for having to adhere to an overstrict schedule -- especially not if they develop a quality product over the course of a more reasonable timeline subsequent to release.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:56:35 AM »
Electronic Arts... (no offence tu)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:42:38 PM »
Agree.... I liked BF3 and MoH warfighter... but EA's shit recently has been letdown after letdown, not to mention their fucking asshole marketing techniques.....

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:08:36 AM »
37 and bitching about a lame video game  hahahahahahahahaha  oh, brother  ::)
K

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »
Agree.... I liked BF3 and MoH warfighter... but EA's shit recently has been letdown after letdown, not to mention their fucking asshole marketing techniques.....

If the crowdsourcing model is successful, these mega publishers will shrink down quite a bit.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »

It's cool. I only played the Beta (which is fantastic actually).
I have no idea about the server issues here. I should probably review some of the online stuff I get as far as issues.

I will have to research and get back to you.

MarinasFlorin

• Getbig I
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »
I remember the times when I played this game.. anyways, too bad their servers couldn't handle the load

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »