Author Topic: RIP Nasser El Sonbaty  (Read 295659 times)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: Nasser El Sonbaty is dead
« Reply #525 on: March 22, 2013, 12:56:32 PM »
rest in peace big guy

"Nasser Nights" were funny times on getbig, you'll always be 97 Mr. Olympia champ in my mind

sharma, big bobs and all of Team Nasser, my thoughts are with you

E
E

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #526 on: March 22, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
Without a doubt better than Yates in 97:

Man I still can't believe it :(

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #527 on: March 22, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #528 on: March 22, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »
the competition was amazing back then thanks to guys like nasser

E
E

D_1000

• Getbig IV
« Reply #529 on: March 22, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »
All hail,
The merchant of mass
The sultan of symmetry
The wizard of truth
The beautiful man with glasses,
3x (at least) uncrowned Mr. Olympia.
300 lbs with abs and the proportions of a Greek statue.
Never again will there be such a physique.

:)

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
Re: Nasser's dead
« Reply #530 on: March 22, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »
How come CNN or NBC has not reported it? its false.

haha ;D

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #531 on: March 22, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »
I'm just sat here smoking some hash and reading this thread.

I'm listing to Superfly by Jorn Van Deynhoven.

It's a weird feeling. I feel numb and disconnected.

I didn't know Nasser but read his interviews many times. Many pearls of wisdom dropped there. I think in general Nasser was under-appreciated. I can't believe that he's dead.
"bodybuilders dont get shot with bullets but with needles"

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #532 on: March 22, 2013, 01:44:27 PM »
Take Craig Titus give us back Nasser.
#

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #533 on: March 22, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »

Didn't of course know Mr. Nasser personally but I'm definitely touched by this sad event, emphatic guy I am.

One of the best of his era is gone.

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #534 on: March 22, 2013, 01:47:43 PM »
Massive..Legend

H

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #535 on: March 22, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
Alls  i can say is nasser was cool in 1999-2000 i think when i emailed him and asked if i really needed two hundred grams a day. He replied "only need 150" he seemed cool but ate too much heme iron its pretty sad because he didnt seem like an asshole, but if you are not compassionate towards animals then why should you live?

RIP
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #536 on: March 22, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
coleman is right around the corner he has no compassion for animals, all the heme-iron he wants
A

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #537 on: March 22, 2013, 01:55:04 PM »
coleman is right around the corner he has no compassion for animals, all the heme-iron he wants
Maybe resulted in his hair loss?

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #538 on: March 22, 2013, 01:55:53 PM »
I can't believe it.  :-\

The bodybuilding world is empty without Nasser!

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #539 on: March 22, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »
Never met nasser but what i heard about him was mostly negative. basically being an arrogant bastard thinking he was smarter than other people, pretending to be someone's friend while making fun behind their backs etc etc. Typical pro bber material

Death does not change any of that

In any case it is ridiculous to be nice to someone because they died since that's exactly when it doesn't matter  
If you want to be nice to someone do it while they are alive instead of shedding crocodile tears

I'm not here to change your mindset but to make a statement. Anybody can say anything about someone. Who are they to judge anyone? Two wrongs dont make a right. Besides, you dont kick somebody when they're down. When someone is finally at peace when they're dead, a bit of empathy says a lot about a bigger person.

Just my 2 cents, thats all.
#

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #540 on: March 22, 2013, 01:58:33 PM »
We don't have an official cause of his death.  He took a nap and did not wake up.  As Muslims we bury the dead as soon as possible, often even if it means not investigating the cause.  

From among the whole world's population who lived while I was alive, Nasser single-handedly was by far the most inspirational person I knew of. Eventually we became close friends, and I did not view him so much as the pro bodybuilder anymore but someone I consider myself very lucky to have been friends with.

A few of my better memories of Nasser:

1)  I wrote him a fan-letter in 1996, he wrote back a lengthy letter and included in 8x10.  I met him for the first time three years later in 1999 at a photo-signing.  I gave him my first name to address the photo to and casually mentioned that I wrote him three years ago.  He then asked from what city?  When I told him the name of the city he asked me "Raja?" (my last name).  I was astounded that of the tens of thousands of fans he met he would have remembered the name of a teen who wrote him three years ago.  Many others had similar instances of Nasser remembering their name at various photo signings and wrote to Flex magazine about it.  A few years ago I asked him how he remembered my name?  He said he obviously did not remember all names, but whenever he'd come across what he felt was a touching letter or fan he made it a point to remember them, even though he knew he would probably not see or hear from the person again.

2)  During a calamity I was facing a 4/5 years ago Nasser was extremely supportive.  He literally called me every 4 hours or so to see how I was doing and how I was handling things.  He would tell me to call him any time I needed to talk to someone, even if it was at 3-4 am during his sleep he would wake up to call me or answer my call.

3)  The second of the three times I visited him in SD was with my wife on 2010 NYE.  Since I was travelling with my wife I would be often doing the touristy things in SD and having lone-time with her.  For that reason I booked a rental car so that I would not be depending on Nasser for rides everywhere.  Our flight was to LA and I booked a rental car to drive to SD the evening we arrived and to drive back a week later.  When I told him I had booked a rental car he insisted I cancel it and that he would drive from SD to LA and back to pick me us up from the airport - a 6 hour round drive, followed by another 6 hours upon our return.  I told him no it's alright, and he kept asking me to cancel it, saying that after the flight we'll feel tired and not in the mood to drive during the busy NYE streets, and that he would drive us anywhere we wanted to go during the week in SD as well.  I kept the rental car, but his generosity in insisting several times that I cancel it was very flattering.

I could go on and on but I just wanted to share a few of my experiences with him.

And yes his dogs are being taken care of well by someone close to him in San Diego.

Sherief was at his funeral in Egypt.  Why did Nasser go to Egypt?  I believe God wanted Sherief to get to know him before his time was up.

I hope Sherief can bring some more news of what happened.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #541 on: March 22, 2013, 01:59:43 PM »

as much as i hate to sight the beauracratical peer reviewed studies it supports conclusive evidence that heme-iron is bad, so why do you still eat it bro? think about the animals too?
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #542 on: March 22, 2013, 02:00:22 PM »
its time for more bodybuilders to jump on the anti-heme-iron bandwagon
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #543 on: March 22, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »
It also has A LOT to do with the amount of weight they carried for so long.  Obesity and/or being heavy from too much muscle will ALWAYS end your life early whether you are a Vegetarian or not.  This is not debatable.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #544 on: March 22, 2013, 02:02:37 PM »
coleman still has a FULL HEAD OF HAIR after 8 mr olympia wins as proven here

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #545 on: March 22, 2013, 02:06:07 PM »
I hope Sherief can bring some more news of what happened.

Yes he has been silent. If Nasser passed in Egypt then Sherief is probably busy right now.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #546 on: March 22, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
It also has A LOT to do with the amount of weight they carried for so long.  Obesity and/or being heavy from too much muscle will ALWAYS end your life early whether you are a Vegetarian or not.  This is not debatable.

You think Vince G is in any danger here 

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #547 on: March 22, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »
i remember seeing nasser in the "bodybuilding history" section of arnold's encyclopedia, posing with JP fux as the two largest, most muscular men i'd ever seen.

then i saw a video of him a few years later on youtube and couldn't believe how massive he was.  i think he was the first "mass monster" i saw in motion... what an impact! :o

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #548 on: March 22, 2013, 02:32:28 PM »

carrying weight is the same thing as lifting weight, it all adds up as stress on the heart

however non-vegetarians are more acidic and lower bone density (people like me not hippy little pussies see the benefit)

i have to eat more calories than usual to do the work i do, if you did what i did you would would gain about 20-30 pounds garanteed bro
A

jakew300

• Getbig II
« Reply #549 on: March 22, 2013, 02:40:57 PM »
Weight is weight.  Fat or muscle the heart still needs to pump the blood to support the weight.