Author Topic: bodybuilding was about overall, strength, fitness , and physique etc?  (Read 3038 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
It seems that original ideals of "physical culture" that combined strength, fitness and overall health with a decent looking body have died.
The original ideals of overall bodybuilding have morphed into building the most massive freaky body and left all other concerns in the dust.
Even around other runners, extreme goals seem more the norm. No longer it is ok to merely run a few miles each week and compete in a local 5k. No, now you have to run lots of miles, lose wt and run marathons.

The modern age of sport seems to be more about extremes than overall balance. I know I am a dinosaur , but I always enjoyed overall health and fitness. For me, running a marathon and not lifting much is as wrong a goal as juicin' to the gills and going for the masters nationals as my one goal.
It is all to easy to get others caught up in your goals, if they sound lofty or extreme. Not too many get worked up over doing moderate things that are the best for your overall welfare.
My mistake has been in listening to the naysayers and the extreme minded folks in both running and bodybuilding.
I am going back to doing BOTH some running with bodybuilding as that always works for me. Give me the Mr Podunk and a local 5k race and that is what makes me tick.
Any other more well rounded trainers out there?
Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
Re: bodybuilding was about overall, strength, fitness , and physique etc?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 10:15:19 AM »
I've reached my quota for lengthy posts today. I'm sure this is a good post
$

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 12:45:42 PM »
Gyms around the country are full of well-rounded trainers. People that want a nice physique, cardiovascular fitness, and a healthy lifestyle. If your expecting to find "well-rounded" people at the highest level of any sport, your barking up the wrong tree.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 07:45:22 PM »
I think you missed my main point. I am not saying pros or top national level bodybuilders need to be well rounded. I was refereing more to the avg guy or gal that gets into a sport as a hooby. It amazes me how some fans in various sports get all into it, at the point of being obsessed.
Howard
Everybody needs a passion, but your right in saying that a balanced lifestyle should be a priority.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 08:46:42 PM »

Howard, if you just applied yourself, you could be a huge Roid Monkey.

An albino Silverback Gorilla in the mist........

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 02:50:38 AM »
LOL, good one Div.
I feel like a real silverback at times when I am behind my wife oooooh, ooooooh. ;D

I would too..........I like your wife, Howard.

She's my "flavor".

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 05:54:09 AM »
I train as hard ever but I consider myself a fitness trainer. I wouldn't care if I was strong if I didn't have a good aerobic base.  I wouldn't want to have great Vo2 capacity if I wasn't strong.  Physique wise I let function determine form.  I would hate to look like muscular monster if it was cosmetic.  I want to be built like a sprinter; running back, Olympic lifter; or wrestler.  I will leave the cosmetic athlete look to the steroid crowd.

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 07:39:02 PM »
I train as hard ever but I consider myself a fitness trainer. I wouldn't care if I was strong if I didn't have a good aerobic base.  I wouldn't want to have great Vo2 capacity if I wasn't strong.  Physique wise I let function determine form.  I would hate to look like muscular monster if it was cosmetic.  I want to be built like a sprinter; running back, Olympic lifter; or wrestler.  I will leave the cosmetic athlete look to the steroid crowd.
Sometimes I forget this is a BODYBUILDING forum ::)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 03:27:14 PM »
I love bodybuilding.  I know it's a sport based on drug use but I will train without the junk. 

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 04:12:55 PM »
that post was as gay as the day is long.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 04:53:16 PM »
that post was as gay as the day is long.
Agreed

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 10:22:26 AM »
Yes he's trying to say he's a skinny bitch.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 10:29:27 AM »

fitness trainer = queer

NYCDVR

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 05:13:19 PM »
Who said bodyduilding had to have one definition it means different things to different people

Figure out what it means to you