Author Topic: Pat Riley asks Shaq to lose weight  (Read 12368 times)

007Muscle

• Getbig II
  • Get Huge!
Re: Pat Riley asks Shaq to lose weight
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2005, 10:20:52 PM »
Shaq has already jumped on the band wagon with the cops and started his 1 pack a day of Jelly doughnuts.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2005, 01:56:35 AM »
If Shaq was around 250-270, he'd be unstoppable, and would prolong his career. Sad thing, he's an idit.

They even had some article in M&F or some shit like that a few years ago, showing how the retard was working out. Would you believe he was actually doing BB curls and leg presses, fcukin bodybuilding training. ::)

The guy is extremely rich, yet won't hire a trainer with a brain to tell him to train for basketball. Ridiculous.

Doubt Fat Shaq has ever done a snatch in his whole life.

Tim Duncan would be eaten alive if Shaq ever smartened up.

But he won't.

YIP
Zack

How do you weight train for basketball ? Tape 5 pound plates to the ball ? :D

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2005, 04:28:36 AM »
How do you weight train for basketball ? Tape 5 pound plates to the ball ? :D

No.

You train Snatch (no, not that snatch, U filthy**** ;D), Cleans, Power Cleans and various versions of the olympic lifts.

Also, add in short sprints, and various step excersises. For speed endurance and overall stamina, look into using the basic ideas of a 200- or 400m sprinter. JMO.

That way you'll increase the kind of strength that is needed on court.

Sorry if I answered this question seriously, if you threw it at me only in jest...  :-[

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2005, 04:50:09 AM »
anyone know the numbers he can put up in some lifts.....?

how strong is he?

???

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2005, 07:49:17 AM »
Jayson Williams of the Nets did a one arm barbell clean and jerk with 165 on David Letterman.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2005, 07:52:48 AM »
Jayson Williams of the Nets did a one arm barbell clean and jerk with 165 on David Letterman.

Was that before or after he killed that limo driver?
The House that Ruth built

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2005, 07:53:05 AM »
before.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2005, 08:30:42 AM »
i prefer to just dump a load all over their heads.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

MisterGX

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2005, 02:01:47 PM »
Riley's word is law.

Trust on that.

If wants Shaq to lose weight, his ass will lose weight.

DIV

Damn straight!!!

Jadethegladiator

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2005, 05:35:56 PM »
The real question would be..

Does Shaq have a Jade story to tell? 8)

YIP
Zack

No, I don't think so.  Anyway, I was in line (back in the 90's) at Taco Cabana in San Antonio, TX when I just happened to turn around & Shaq was like right there ......to be continued ppl ;D

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2005, 05:39:55 PM »
No, I don't think so.  Anyway, I was in line (back in the 90's) at Taco Cabana in San Antonio, TX when I just happened to turn around & Shaq just happened to be in my freakin' view......to be continued ppl ;D
wow thought i was the only one from there

Birdman

• Getbig III
  • Pump Til You Puke!
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2005, 12:58:59 AM »
Im a trainer and a firend of mine who is also in the business was hired by 24 hour fitness like 2 years ago to move to Orlando and train Shaq in the off-season for 3 months between playing for L.A. and Miami.  24 hour fitness paid him, but Shaq also paid him like 8 grand a month or something crazy like that.
My buddy said that when Shaq is listed at 330-340 that means he is really about 370.  So when they started training right after the season he was weighing right around 370 and he helped him get under 340.
He said that Shaq is pretty damn strong.  Can bench over 400 and he didnt have him do squats because of his knees, well they did partials and they also did cleans like you guys said. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2005, 01:57:54 AM »
Im a trainer and a firend of mine who is also in the business was hired by 24 hour fitness like 2 years ago to move to Orlando and train Shaq in the off-season for 3 months between playing for L.A. and Miami.  24 hour fitness paid him, but Shaq also paid him like 8 grand a month or something crazy like that.
My buddy said that when Shaq is listed at 330-340 that means he is really about 370.  So when they started training right after the season he was weighing right around 370 and he helped him get under 340.
He said that Shaq is pretty damn strong.  Can bench over 400 and he didnt have him do squats because of his knees, well they did partials and they also did cleans like you guys said. 

Thanks for the input. Very nice to get real facts on stuff like this.

If Shaq is benchpressing as a part of his strength training protocol,  that tells me his training is fcuked up.

How is benchpressing gonna help his performance on the basketball court?

I even recommend against oval ball players training bench press, I rather see them doing standing BB presses, and various seated shoulder presses. Also focus on the sled work.

It's all about functional strength in sports.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2005, 03:41:04 PM »
Thanks for the input. Very nice to get real facts on stuff like this.

If Shaq is benchpressing as a part of his strength training protocol,  that tells me his training is fcuked up.

How is benchpressing gonna help his performance on the basketball court?

I even recommend against oval ball players training bench press, I rather see them doing standing BB presses, and various seated shoulder presses. Also focus on the sled work.

It's all about functional strength in sports.

YIP
Zack

Benching will put size on; Shaq = size, Shaq's size makes him unstoppable.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2005, 03:48:12 PM »
Benching will put size on; Shaq = size, Shaq's size makes him unstoppable.

Well.

Then we are of different opinions on this one then.

I think that Shaq needs to avoid any excersises that adds upper body size. Like benchpressing.

Stick to excersises that develops functional strength, explosive strength. Like snatches, hang snatches, cleans, C&J's et al. Also sprints.

Otherwise he will have problems with knees, due to him being so heavy.

You mentioned him doing partial squats due to his knee problems...

I think Shaq and his highly paid physique coach should be able to figure out why he is having the knee problems.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

blaster

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2005, 04:05:03 PM »
Well.

Then we are of different opinions on this one then.

I think that Shaq needs to avoid any excersises that adds upper body size. Like benchpressing.

Stick to excersises that develops functional strength, explosive strength. Like snatches, hang snatches, cleans, C&J's et al. Also sprints.

Otherwise he will have problems with knees, due to him being so heavy.

You mentioned him doing partial squats due to his knee problems...

I think Shaq and his highly paid physique coach should be able to figure out why he is having the knee problems.

YIP
Zack

Must admit, it wasn't until I put on my initial weight that I blew my knee out. My old team mate reckons it was because I got too heavy too quickly.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2005, 04:13:19 PM »
Must admit, it wasn't until I put on my initial weight that I blew my knee out. My old team mate reckons it was because I got too heavy too quickly.

The sad thing is that most young basketball players train with a protocol that bulks them up.

Only a few colleges are implementing pure Olympic lifting lifts and sprinting excersises. This despite the wisdom of track and field coaches are on the same campus.

Even fewer high schools are using it. They could probably be counted in single digits for the whole USA.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

blaster

• Getbig III
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2005, 04:19:09 PM »
The sad thing is that most young basketball players train with a protocol that bulks them up.

Only a few colleges are implementing pure Olympic lifting lifts and sprinting excersises. This despite the wisdom of track and field coaches are on the same campus.

Even fewer high schools are using it. They could probably be counted in single digits for the whole USA.

YIP
Zack

But in my case, I was 18 and skinny playing against a lot older guys who had matured weight on them. I was getting pushed around a lot so I decided to try and put some weight on to match it with them. I could still dunk VERY easily at 6'4" and I was able to alley oop as well. I think being able to jump so high took a toll on my knees.

Hang on, what the fuck am I talking about? (This happened 7 years ago). There was sweat or water on the court and my right leg slipped sideways after I jumped for a rebound and that's what caused my knee to blow out! Forgot that bit!

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2005, 04:35:18 AM »
If Shaq was around 250-270, he'd be unstoppable, and would prolong his career. Sad thing, he's an idit.

They even had some article in M&F or some shit like that a few years ago, showing how the retard was working out. Would you believe he was actually doing BB curls and leg presses, fcukin bodybuilding training. ::)

The guy is extremely milionaire, yet won't hire a trainer with a brain to tell him to train for basketball. Ridiculous.

Doubt Fat Shaq has ever done a snatch in his whole life.

Tim Duncan would be eaten alive if Shaq ever smartened up.

But he won't.

YIP
Zack

I think you already told the answer in the middle of your post why he doesnt care too much about all of this...But i just altered a little to be more real  ;D
!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2006, 12:41:42 AM »
Not sure what this thread is about.  I just wanted to go to the last message and bump it.

Robbie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2006, 01:20:51 AM »
The HEat should draft Noah Steer.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2006, 06:01:37 AM »
he has 4 rings..nuff said

dknole

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2006, 06:49:33 AM »
Shaq last year hired Carlon Colker, MD to help retool his diet and training sessions. Pat Riley wanted it and thus Shaq hired Dr. C.

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2006, 09:40:19 AM »
This 270 talk is stupid, he came in to the league at 21 at 305, he was under 10%bf.No way he ever gets to 310 again in his career let alone 270.
Exactly,look all the talk about his weight is bullshit. Even at a heavier BW Shaq was the main reason for the Lakers 3 championship wins and at the end of the day he's still leaner than the average sloppy Joe.
As long as he can get the job done what's the diff? What, does Riles want to date the guy or something?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2006, 09:53:51 AM »

Is Pat right?

They ask him every year to drop weight, this is nothing new!