Author Topic: L-Carnitine, Nutrient In Red Meat, Linked With Heart Disease  (Read 4380 times)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
L-Carnitine, Nutrient In Red Meat, Linked With Heart Disease
« on: April 08, 2013, 08:37:28 AM »
How many bodybuilders have endorsed l-carnitine over the decades?

The high amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol in red meat have long been blamed for increasing people's risk of heart disease. But now, new research points a finger at another culprit in meat that may be more closely tied to this leading killer.

A new study reveals that a nutrient called l-carnitine, which is found in red meat and is also popular as a dietary supplement, may also play a role in the development of heart disease.

In a series of experiments in people and mice, scientists for the first time demonstrated that carnitine from foods as well as from supplements influenced cardiovascular risk.

"We now have an understanding of a new nutritional pathway that helps explain the long-standing recognition of a link between red meat and the development of heart disease," said study researcher Dr. Stanley Hazen, section head of preventive cardiology at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio. The pathway involves the gut bacteria that metabolize carnitine in people who regularly eat meat, he said.

Hazen and his research team suspected there must be something else in red meat, besides its cholesterol and saturated fat, that explains its association with heart disease. "This study suggests carnitine may be a piece of this link," he said.

The findings were published online today (April 7) in the journal Nature Medicine.

Two years ago, Hazen and his research team discovered that microorganisms in the intestines can convert substances found in choline, a common dietary fat, to a by-product known as TMAO, trimethylamine-N-oxide.

This new study looked at l-carnitine, which has a similar chemical structure to choline.

Carnitine is a nutrient found at high levels in red meat, but fish, poultry, milk and other dairy products are also good food sources of it. Carnitine is also a popular over-the-counter diet supplement, often billed as helping to boost energy and bulk up muscle. It's found in some energy drinks and muscle milks.

The researchers looked at fasting levels of blood carnitine in nearly 2,600 men and women. The findings showed that carnitine levels could quite strongly predict participant's risk of existing coronary artery disease, as well as the risk of having a major cardiac event, such as heart attack, stroke, or death over a three-year period, but only in adults who had high blood levels of TMAO.

Hazen's group also compared mice fed their normal chow, which is basically a vegetarian diet, with mice whose food was supplemented with carnitine.

"We saw that carnitine supplements doubled the rates of atherosclerosis in the mice," Hazen said. It did this by dramatically increasing levels of TMAO, which is produced by gut bacteria that metabolize l-carnitine.

As for how carnitine in red meat may be linked with heart disease, Hazen explained that chronic ingestion of carnitine fundamentally shifts the metabolism of cholesterol. "It's changing it in a way that will make you more prone to heart disease," he said. Eating carnitine causes more cholesterol to be deposited onto artery walls, and less to be eliminated from the body.

What to do?

Besides looking at animal models, researchers also looked at what happens when people eat carnitine, comparing 51 people who normally eat meat to 23 people who were vegetarian or vegan (who consume no animal products). The researchers found that adults who avoid meat and eat fewer animal products produced much lower concentrations of TMAO in the blood compared with the meat eaters.

"If you're eating a lot of red meat, this study argues to consider cutting back," Hazen said. He recommended decreasing the frequency of eating red meat, and its portion size.

For people taking carnitine supplements, Hazen said he's unaware of a compelling study that shows a dramatic benefit from them. And taking the supplement could be influencing a person's long-term risk of heart disease, he suggested.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/08/l-carnitine-heart-disease-red-meat-compound_n_3037372.html
V

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
Re: L-Carnitine, Nutrient In Red Meat, Linked With Heart Disease
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 08:38:17 AM »
Since i stopped taking L Carnitine my training has actually improved.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 08:39:43 AM »
Everything kills you these days. Don't they link bottled water to cancer? We go when we go.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:40:40 AM »
Everything kills you these days. Don't they link bottled water to cancer? We go when we go.
I take it you either eat a lot of red meat or supplement with L-Carnitine.
V

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:42:24 AM »
I take it you either eat a lot of red meat or supplement with L-Carnitine.
No, it's just that it seems that there is a study for everything these days. Just live your life the way you want.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
"The researchers looked at fasting levels of blood carnitine in nearly 2,600 men and women. The findings showed that carnitine levels could quite strongly predict participant's risk of existing coronary artery disease, as well as the risk of having a major cardiac event, such as heart attack, stroke, or death over a three-year period"

Bullshit.

I'm sure that if they put a harmless 'substance X' into hagen daz ice cream, and tested for it in relation to heart disease, the people who had eaten a tub of hagen daz a day (who'd show the highest levels of substance X) wouldbe more likely to die of a heart attack in the near future. Why? - because people that eat a tub of ice cream a day are usually those without self-control - i.e. will make many bad diet choices leading to bad heart health!!!!

Substance X has nothing to do with it ffs.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:49:49 AM »
"The researchers looked at fasting levels of blood carnitine in nearly 2,600 men and women. The findings showed that carnitine levels could quite strongly predict participant's risk of existing coronary artery disease, as well as the risk of having a major cardiac event, such as heart attack, stroke, or death over a three-year period"

Bullshit.

I'm sure that if they put a harmless 'substance X' into hagen daz ice cream, and tested for it in relation to heart disease, the people who had eaten a tub of hagen daz a day (who'd show the highest levels of substance X) wouldbe more likely to die of a heart attack in the near future. Why? - because people that eat a tub of ice cream a day are usually those without self-control - i.e. will make many bad diet choices leading to bad heart health!!!!

Substance X has nothing to do with it ffs.

Did you read the story?  they said that carnitine itself built up shit within the arteries.  Not the beef.

lulu

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 08:59:08 AM »
in before falcon

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 09:07:05 AM »
Did you read the story?  they said that carnitine itself built up shit within the arteries.  Not the beef.

Yes I did read the story (also heard it on BBC news this morning).

I'm not disagreeing with the presence of 'shit in the arteries' but more the link they make with mortality and l-carnitine. I think the results of this study show that people who eat too much of a good thing (red meat / dairy) etc are likely to be those with self-control issues, which in itself is a pre-cursor to higher mortality rates across the board. L-Carnitine may make some shit gathe in your arteries, but they haven't linked that with any particular function that it affects leading to heart disease etc

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 09:09:14 AM »
Yes I did read the story (also heard it on BBC news this morning).

I'm not disagreeing with the presence of 'shit in the arteries' but more the link they make with mortality and l-carnitine. I think the results of this study show that people who eat too much of a good thing (red meat / dairy) etc are likely to be those with self-control issues, which in itself is a pre-cursor to higher mortality rates across the board. L-Carnitine may make some shit gathe in your arteries, but they haven't linked that with any particular function that it affects leading to heart disease etc
I love Top Gear, and Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. I guess there are a few good things you Brits can do.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 09:12:25 AM »
I love Top Gear, and Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. I guess there are a few good things you Brits can do.

I love your mom's bumhole but I don't feel the need to mention it in this thread.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 09:16:38 AM »
No wonder all those IFBB pros were getting sick after taking this stuff for so many years. Filty supplements.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 10:00:09 AM »
I love your mom's bumhole but I don't feel the need to mention it in this thread.
Bigmc and Bigcyp are the same guy.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »
Bigmc and Bigcyp are the same guy.

If you'd been around a lot longer, you'd see how stupid that is. 8/9 years ago me and bigmc used to battle it out when I was in the Squad.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »
If you'd been around a lot longer, you'd see how stupid that is. 8/9 years ago me and bigmc used to battle it out when I was in the Squad.
I signed up in '04. Sorry I can't follow evryone at all times.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

sports supplements are basically bullshit that is killing its consumers.

The worst lie is the whole muscle and fitness, mens health diet guide of eating 2 grams protein per pound, you are literally using up your life essence at an accelerated rate.

its one big fucking lie, creatine a short cut step to using up your kidneys limited liefspan.