Author Topic: DEA arrests steroid manufacturers and dealers  (Read 28566 times)

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
DEA arrests steroid manufacturers and dealers
« on: December 15, 2005, 02:25:52 PM »
DEC 15--WASHINGTON, DC –

DEA Administrator Karen P. Tandy today announced the arrest of Albert Saltiel-Cohen, owner of three of the world’s largest anabolic steroid manufacturers, as part of the largest steroid enforcement operation in U.S. history. Operation Gear Grinder is a 21-month Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF) investigation that targeted eight major steroid manufacturing companies, their owners, and their trafficking associates. By reviewing the sources of all seized and analyzed steroids submitted to the DEA’s forensic laboratories, DEA intelligence analysts and diversion investigators found that 82 percent of the steroids seized and analyzed are of Mexican origin. A large majority of those 82 percent seized and analyzed steroids originate from the eight companies identified in Operation Gear Grinder. These businesses conducted their sales via the Internet, and DEA estimates their combined total U.S. steroid sales are $56 million per year.

“Steroid traffickers market their product by luring young people with promises of enhanced performance and appearance,” DEA Administrator Karen P. Tandy said, “but what they don’t say is the illicit use of these harmful drugs can destroy the very bodies that they are supposed to improve. Drug traffickers prey on the belief that steroids enhance ability, but steroids only rob that ability, as we have seen so often from the affected lives of too many youth and professional athletes.”

Operation Gear Grinder is part of the Virtual Enforcement Initiative, a coordinated DEA effort to target illegal Internet drug trafficking, which was launched in April with Operation Cyber Chase and continued in September with Operation CYBERx. DEA’s cyber initiative acknowledges drug traffickers are embracing the use of 21 st century technology to further spread their virus into U.S. communities.

The steroid manufacturers involved in this investigation tried to mask the true consumers of these products by marketing them as being developed and sold for use in animals. The veterinary manufacturers (“laboratorios”) took notice of the demand for anabolic steroids and created a marketing strategy tailored to the needs of the U.S. consumer – to include high-quality products and internet websites. Communications via the Internet and parcel distributions were the core of these companies’ operations. The websites showcase the products and offer an email address to exchange prices and tracking numbers, and give ordering and payment instructions.

These eight companies used U.S.-based email addresses and listed each manufacturer utilizing a business website to place their products in the hands of American consumers. Some manufacturers provided direct referrals to distributors through the Contact Us section of the websites. The steroids were smuggled into the United States, and shipped to customers. In addition, steroids from the eight companies were also shipped to U.S. traffickers, who re-sold the products to their customers. Financial transactions were primarily done via Western Union wire transfers, as well as bank transfers and credit card payments.

These groups also supplied numerous pharmacies along the U.S./Mexico border, where U.S. customers could purchase steroids and smuggle them back across the border into the United States.

In addition to the Saltiel-Cohen arrest and indictments, DEA today arrested 4 steroid trafficking suspects in San Diego and Laredo, TX. As part of Operation Gear Grinder, DEA also identified over 2,000 U.S. customers that have received steroids from the businesses indicted today. These customers consist of individual users, street-level dealers, and organized trafficking groups in dozens of cities across the country.

The Southern District of California has issued indictments charging the companies and individual defendants with the following:Title 21, U.S.C., Secs. 952, 960 and 963 - Conspiracy to Import Anabolic Steroids; Title 21, U.S.C., Secs. 846 and 841(a)(1) - Conspiracy to Distribute Anabolic Steroids; Title 18, U.S.C., Sec. 2; Title 18, U.S.C., Secs. 1956(h) and 1956(a)(1)(A)(I) - Conspiracy to Launder Money; Title 21, U.S.C.,Sec. 853(a), Title 18, U.S.C.,Sec. 982 and Title 21, U.S.C.,Sec. 853(p) - Criminal Forfeiture.

Manufacturing Targets

1. Companies: Quality Vet, Denkall, and Animal Power
Owners: Alberto Saltiel Cohen, Joaquin Garcia Rivas, and Javier Garcia de la Pena.
These manufacturers are significant U.S. suppliers of Nandrolone

2. Company: Laboratorios Tornel
Owner: Luis Bravo-Tornel
Manager: Mauricio Bravo-Berentsen
This manufacturer is a top U.S. supplier of Testosterone Decanoate

3. Company: Laboratorios Brovel
Owner: Arturo Bravo-Valdes
This manufacturer is a top U.S. supplier of Nandrolone Decanoate

4. Company: Pet’s Pharma
Owner: Ramon Vargas
Co-Owner-Eduardo Hernandez
This manufacturer is a top U.S. source of Testosterone Enanthate

5. Company: Syd Group
Owner: Armando Guzman-Armenta
Associate: Amalia Lara
This manufacturer is a top U.S. source of Stanozolol

6. Company: Loeffler
Officer: Jose Angel Garcia-Hinojosa
This manufacturer is a top U.S. source of Methandrostenolone

Operation Gear Grinder was coordinated by the DEA Special Operations Division. DEA offices in San Diego, Mexico City, Tijuana, New York, Houston, San Antonio, and Laredo, Texas participated in the investigation.

This investigation was a collaborative effort involving DEA, numerous U.S state and local law enforcement agencies, and the Mexican Federal Agency of Investigation (AFI).

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
Re: DEA arrests steroid manufacturers and dealers
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 02:33:20 PM »
just some mexicans trying to make a buck, leave em alone for gods sake

their buyers know what they're doing

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 04:11:18 PM »
Tell the DEA to go after the Tabacco industry they are the ones killing people.Hell no theycant do that to much money in smoking and all the health issues that come from smoking.To many millions they love people getting sick and cancer means more drugs to sell them and research. and it goes on ....................

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 04:17:49 PM »
Tell the DEA to go after the Tabacco industry they are the ones killing people.Hell no theycant do that to much money in smoking and all the health issues that come from smoking.To many millions they love people getting sick and cancer means more drugs to sell them and research. and it goes on ....................

You're not worried about the younger crowd doing stereoids man? Or it's just about IFBB business?

peace
#

619Rules

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 04:34:35 PM »
Since when does the DEA have jurisdiction over Mexico?

Tell the DEA to have fun prosecuting these guys..........b/c even if Mexico cooperates I can assure you they will not turn over any of their citizens to US authorities if they face long prison terms in the US....just wont be happening folks.......and 56 Million in sales for the entire USA is a flat out joke-that is peanuts for an entire nation.....

"This is the poison that is on the Internet that is available to anyone who turns their computers on," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Timothy Coughlin, who is to be prosecuting the cases.

The investigation identified more than 2,000 U.S. customers of the steroids, including body builders, athletes and other users. "

I hope no getig member is on the list.................... ......

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 05:16:02 PM »
money laundering and interstate commerce

PRAXIS

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 05:19:49 PM »
Damn the street value on this stuff just jumped 500%.

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 05:54:05 PM »
You're not worried about the younger crowd doing stereoids man? Or it's just about IFBB business?

peace

I am more worried about the young drinking.There are more teenage deaths from that every year.Show me one proven case where steriods have killed someone .JUST STERIODS.Now lets look at teen drinking and the deaths a few thousand each year.So you tell me where the problem is.
lee

gammahydroxy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 06:01:15 PM »
I hope I'm not on the list of 2000 people who have received steriods... :P
musclegurus.com

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 06:01:58 PM »
Big time agree with Lee here....man this sucks hope it does not put the hurt on the gear supply.  Those guys making the juice are heros.

PRAXIS

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 06:02:17 PM »
I hope I'm not on the list of 2000 people who have received steriods... :P

I think it was directed to people who bought directly from the customer. Now if the DEA starts raiding all these local pharmacies for customer info. Then thats a another story.

gammahydroxy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 06:03:43 PM »

peace

Ya kids are using steriods at younger ages these days...Just last week i caught my 12 year old brother injecting some Equipoise.. ;D
I was very upset becouse he wasn't stacking it with test, and wasn't even using nolvadex..
musclegurus.com

gammahydroxy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 06:06:58 PM »
Ever since congress banned prohormones, Steroid Availability has increased drastically...And prices have dropped and quality has increased. Thank you Uncle Sam. :)
musclegurus.com

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 06:21:35 PM »
The investigation identified more than 2,000 U.S. customers of the steroids, including body builders, athletes and other users. "

I guarantee some of these customers are indeed GetBig.com members.

Some kids will be getting cripped on by Big Bro.

Ya kids are using steriods at younger ages these days...Just last week i caught my 12 year old brother injecting some Equipoise.. ;D
I was very upset becouse he wasn't stacking it with test, and wasn't even using nolvadex..

Word, GHB.

I would have slapped that kid silly!   >:(

EQ without a Test base is a waste of AAS!!!! 

To top it off he wasn't even using Arimidex or Nolvadex.

Kids these days...... ::)

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

gammahydroxy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 06:30:53 PM »
I guarantee some of these customers are indeed GetBig.com members.
Some kids will be getting cripped on by Big Bro.
Word, GHB.
I would have slapped that kid silly!   >:(
EQ without a Test base is a waste of AAS!!!! 
To top it off he wasn't even using Arimidex or Nolvadex.
Kids these days...... ::)

DIV

Ya and he was going to use clomid for PCT. When studies clearly show nolvadex as the perferred drug to increase depressed t-scores. :o
musclegurus.com

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 06:41:25 PM »
Quote .... "........... as we have seen so often from the affected lives of too many youth and professional athletes.”

Can anyone name those youths and pro athletes who have been so affected?

Could it be possible that the law is doing more harm to athletes than the harm they claim as a result of roid useage?

LeePriestLover

• Getbig II
  • ---LPL---
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 07:37:06 PM »
"DEA Administrator Karen P. Tandy said, “but what they don’t say is the illicit use of these harmful drugs can destroy the very bodies that they are supposed to improve."

And it's idiotic baseless shit like this that makes heart-attack inducing drugs like Vioxx be allowed back on the market after a study PROVES it can harm an otherwise healthy human being.

Steroids *NEVER* killed anyone when taken correctly. 

"Can destroy" is like saying "But what car dealers don't tell you is that these harmful vehicles can destroy them.". 

That's also a true statement.

I can't take all this anti steroid bullshit. 

LeePriestLover

• Getbig II
  • ---LPL---
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 07:39:51 PM »

peace

That's like asking if he's not worried about babies eating roids.  He never stated that.  The point is simple and clear - Roids NEVER killed or even HURT anyone taking them correctly.  Though it's been proven that Cigraettes cause lung cancer, taking too many aspirin will blow a hole through your stomach, and vioxx will give you heart problems.

The only thing that steroids are proven to do is give you huge muslces, a pimple on your face, and high blood pressure. 

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 08:14:22 PM »
Ya and he was going to use clomid for PCT. When studies clearly show nolvadex as the perferred drug to increase depressed t-scores. :o

Word.

I sure hope you slapped that kid down on the spot!   >:(

He needs to research his shit!

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 08:20:37 PM »
Since when does the DEA have jurisdiction over Mexico?

Agree

I seriously doubt anything is going to change there except for whats happening at the border crossing.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 08:29:17 PM »
Can't they just extradite them to the US?
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 09:37:07 PM »
I agree 100%. Smoking is one of the most rediculous things a person can do. Steroids(in moderation) are nowhere near as harmful, plus you get huge. Smoking has no upside.

whitewidow

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 10:43:02 PM »
Whats sad is the DEA is using our money to pay for this long investigation - that I am sure cost a fortune. As a tax payer I am paying for these bullshit investigations.

619Rules

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 11:12:21 PM »
Whats sad is the DEA is using our money to pay for this long investigation - that I am sure cost a fortune. As a tax payer I am paying for these bullshit investigations.

If you were a productive citizen..... and made any money instead of living on welfare...then you would be paying for these invesitgations........ :)

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2005, 01:05:39 AM »
im now ashamed to be american.... this is truly sad. go after another country for making anabolic steroids? obviously in these countries where steroids are legal its not a problem(wheres the people dieing from it?).... usa feels the need to jump into these countries and say steroids are an epidemic in america? Ha, this country has gone to shit.
real men= no rubbers