Author Topic: Penzey's Spices  (Read 1910 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Penzey's Spices
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »
A place I've always taken for granted.  If you have a store in your area, check it out. Top notch quality - way better than anything in a grocery store.  Reasonable prices.  Sign up on their mailing list and you'll get a catalog with lots of recipes about every 3 months and it comes with a coupon for a jar of something free.

Our retail spice store business is growing rapidly. We now have stores in Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Colorado, Michigan, Alabama, Ohio, Texas, Iowa, Virginia, Indiana, Florida, Minnesota, New York, Tennessee, Illinois, Connecticut, Nebraska, Kansas, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Maryland, Arizona, Missouri, California, Georgia, Kentucky, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Washington with plans for continued expansion. We are in need of store employees as we continue to grow.
http://www.penzeys.com/

:

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Penzey's Spices
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:59:47 PM »
A place I've always taken for granted.  If you have a store in your area, check it out. Top notch quality - way better than anything in a grocery store.  Reasonable prices.  Sign up on their mailing list and you'll get a catalog with lots of recipes about every 3 months and it comes with a coupon for a jar of something free.

Our retail spice store business is growing rapidly. We now have stores in Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Colorado, Michigan, Alabama, Ohio, Texas, Iowa, Virginia, Indiana, Florida, Minnesota, New York, Tennessee, Illinois, Connecticut, Nebraska, Kansas, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Maryland, Arizona, Missouri, California, Georgia, Kentucky, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Washington with plans for continued expansion. We are in need of store employees as we continue to grow.
http://www.penzeys.com/

never heard of this place but there is one in Menlo Park CA which is pretty close to me and I'll be there this weekend so I will check it out

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:03:51 PM »
never heard of this place but there is one in Menlo Park CA which is pretty close to me and I'll be there this weekend so I will check it out

It's easy to get overwhelmed the first time.  They have anything and everything.  LOTS of blends too.  Careful, don't get sucked into a blend that has salt as an ingredient (too salty imo); they have many blends that are salt free (and why pay for salt anyway).  Big fan of their Adobo seasoning on baked chicken.  They have several different kinds of cinnamon, chili powders, herb blends (although I use fresh when I can), peppers, vanillas...I must have at least 75 jars of stuff from them, no exaggeration.

Don't forget to get on their mailing list!
:

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:23:07 PM »
It's easy to get overwhelmed the first time.  They have anything and everything.  LOTS of blends too.  Careful, don't get sucked into a blend that has salt as an ingredient (too salty imo); they have many blends that are salt free (and why pay for salt anyway).  Big fan of their Adobo seasoning on baked chicken.  They have several different kinds of cinnamon, chili powders, herb blends (although I use fresh when I can), peppers, vanillas...I must have at least 75 jars of stuff from them, no exaggeration.

Don't forget to get on their mailing list!

Thanks, I think I'll be able to control myself.  I'm not that much of a chef.  Might just look for some Indian spices
From what I've read online the place is very expensive which makes it a good fit for Menlo Park CA (where the store is located)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:31:34 PM »
Thanks, I think I'll be able to control myself.  I'm not that much of a chef.  Might just look for some Indian spices
From what I've read online the place is very expensive which makes it a good fit for Menlo Park CA (where the store is located)

For Indian spices, an actual Indian store is going to have much better prices.  Then again, they usually sell in larger quantities, at least way more than I could ever use in a reasonable amount of time.  I bought some cumin, corriandar, cardamom and tumeric recently at about 1/8 of the cost (per ounce) at an Indian store.  Tastes are a little different, so it adds to the variety.  I guess I've never found Penzey's all that expensive, but not really compared since it's where I get the majority.
:

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:52:23 PM »
For Indian spices, an actual Indian store is going to have much better prices.  Then again, they usually sell in larger quantities, at least way more than I could ever use in a reasonable amount of time.  I bought some cumin, corriandar, cardamom and tumeric recently at about 1/8 of the cost (per ounce) at an Indian store.  Tastes are a little different, so it adds to the variety.  I guess I've never found Penzey's all that expensive, but not really compared since it's where I get the majority.

I think you might do a lot more cooking than I do