Author Topic: Barbell Plates and Dumbbells - Old School  (Read 146064 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: barbell plates and dbs.
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
 ::) gotta make them new again.... :o :o :o :o
F

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »
::) gotta make them new again.... :o :o :o :o

I've got to dig out some of my old interlocking plates.  weird designs came out in the 70's.  the funny thing is, the weights are easier to lift when the plates do not interlock

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2014, 12:42:01 PM »
I've got to dig out some of my old interlocking plates.  weird designs came out in the 70's.  the funny thing is, the weights are easier to lift when the plates do not interlock
that 's true those fixed barbells in the gym are esp. brutal esp the ez curl bars for french presses and such= wrist wreckers.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »
 ;D
F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »
;D

Waste of money, they are hardly in use and their weight intervals are too large. A short olympic bar & EZ bar are more flexible.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2014, 01:29:36 PM »
Waste of money, they are hardly in use and their weight intervals are too large. A short olympic bar & EZ bar are more flexible.
for sure , gold's gym in allentown has two racks of these fixed diasters and one ez curl olympic bar......... ONE.....  :o :o :o :o
F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2014, 02:39:36 AM »
for sure , gold's gym in allentown has two racks of these fixed diasters and one ez curl olympic bar......... ONE.....  :o :o :o :o

That's not much for a Gold's gym. The same in my gym, and it's often in use on the Scott curl bench, but I don't mind since I'm more into dumbbells.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2014, 12:27:03 PM »
 ;D just got a few more brands hollywood healthways, pro-style, radha, champion sunsport..
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2014, 12:28:33 PM »
;D just got a few more brands hollywood healthways, pro-style, radha, champion sunsport..
???????????????????? anyone got some goods they want to sell????????????????????
F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2014, 01:02:26 PM »
???????????????????? anyone got some goods they want to sell????????????????????

Yes, my mother in law! (for free)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2014, 12:41:04 PM »
;D
mine cleaned up waffles and fat dimples.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2014, 12:44:26 PM »
8)
just got a pair of these  now all i need are bristols and rockaway.
F

jonsgym

• Getbig I
« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2014, 01:42:45 PM »

I don't know about you guys but I find it strange  that some barbell plates and dumbbells feel sort of " alive " and seem to have a feel to them when you use them. You sort of get a connection through the iron that allows you to feel the exercise through the muscles more. It probably sounds bonkers ( crazy ) for non English readers.

I remember when I instructed at Reg Parks gym in Johannesburg, South Africa in the middle to late sixties. all of Reg's weights and equipment were made by a guy called Des Knootze. The dumbells felt good and you got a good response through the muscles, the barbell plates on the other hand felt like lead. Same foundry but a quite different feeling.

Reg had a big mail order/distributer network in South Africa and all of the weights were stored in the celler, two floors below the ground floor of the office block in which Reg had two complet floors, that housed the main bodybuilding gym and above that the Business Men and Womens gym, along with a Judo and Karate gym. Reg was way ahead of the times, as in the business gym all of the clients would have one or other of us instructors as their personal trainer for their workout.   

Any how once a week all the distributer orders had to be carried two floors up from the cellar and loaded onto the Reg Parks Gym truck. Believe me after lugging tons of plates up two floors and loading the truck you were wasted, and it was always early in the morning we did this. Luckily all of us, Reg, the instructors and a few of the competitive bodybuilders trained from six to eight in the morning, so at least we trained first, then completly knackered ourselves out up and down the stairs to the celler.

About 35 years ago I convinced my best mate, double NABBA Universe winner Len Sell, to re-equip his London gym with what was then called Professional Dumbells, you know the kind that the old Iron Man mag used to advertise, black plates that fitted onto chrome knurled handels and the held in place with a large screw in bolt that screwed into the end of the dumbell rod. I ordered them, all 6 tons of them from Taiwan, where, I had found out, was where Iron Man sourced them from. I gotta say they all looked great, racks of new, shiney dumbells that no other gym in the UK had at the time. But, to me they just did not have the " feel " of Lens old ones.

I also loved the dumbells in Vince Girondas gym and in Joe Golds World gym at the end of Main Street, Santa Monica. Some things just feel right, or is it just me thinking this way.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »

I don't know about you guys but I find it strange  that some barbell plates and dumbbells feel sort of " alive " and seem to have a feel to them when you use them. You sort of get a connection through the iron that allows you to feel the exercise through the muscles more. It probably sounds bonkers ( crazy ) for non English readers.

I remember when I instructed at Reg Parks gym in Johannesburg, South Africa in the middle to late sixties. all of Reg's weights and equipment were made by a guy called Des Knootze. The dumbells felt good and you got a good response through the muscles, the barbell plates on the other hand felt like lead. Same foundry but a quite different feeling.

Reg had a big mail order/distributer network in South Africa and all of the weights were stored in the celler, two floors below the ground floor of the office block in which Reg had two complet floors, that housed the main bodybuilding gym and above that the Business Men and Womens gym, along with a Judo and Karate gym. Reg was way ahead of the times, as in the business gym all of the clients would have one or other of us instructors as their personal trainer for their workout.   

Any how once a week all the distributer orders had to be carried two floors up from the cellar and loaded onto the Reg Parks Gym truck. Believe me after lugging tons of plates up two floors and loading the truck you were wasted, and it was always early in the morning we did this. Luckily all of us, Reg, the instructors and a few of the competitive bodybuilders trained from six to eight in the morning, so at least we trained first, then completly knackered ourselves out up and down the stairs to the celler.

About 35 years ago I convinced my best mate, double NABBA Universe winner Len Sell, to re-equip his London gym with what was then called Professional Dumbells, you know the kind that the old Iron Man mag used to advertise, black plates that fitted onto chrome knurled handels and the held in place with a large screw in bolt that screwed into the end of the dumbell rod. I ordered them, all 6 tons of them from Taiwan, where, I had found out, was where Iron Man sourced them from. I gotta say they all looked great, racks of new, shiney dumbells that no other gym in the UK had at the time. But, to me they just did not have the " feel " of Lens old ones.

I also loved the dumbells in Vince Girondas gym and in Joe Golds World gym at the end of Main Street, Santa Monica. Some things just feel right, or is it just me thinking this way.

i've got both kind, they both have their special feel to them...bigger ones are off to the side on floor.
F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2015, 03:37:12 PM »
Ivanko

Nancy Sinatra's 24kt gold plated dumbbells

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2015, 10:26:23 AM »
Ivanko

Nancy Sinatra's 24kt gold plated dumbbells

nice the only ivankos i've got are 6-5's and 2 2 and a halves rubber coated  standard plates...
F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2015, 03:16:46 PM »
                             nice the only ivankos i've got are 6-5's and 2 2 and a halves rubber coated  standard plates...

It was in the early nineties that I saw their products for the first time in Ironman magazine. My previous gym had their black Olympic BB plates, unfortunately the coated ones but still great.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2015, 10:45:05 AM »
york is remaking their classic solid dumbells and calling it the legacy dumbell series. i'd love to have a set of those

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2015, 03:46:46 PM »
york is remaking their classic solid dumbells and calling it the legacy dumbell series. i'd love to have a set of those
if you look at the top of the db rack the first set is 25 lb york buns than 30 hex silver colored dbs than york legacy 35's paid 35 cents a lb for them.than the last set is 40 lb york buns bought in the early 60's..
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2015, 03:53:33 PM »
pic'd is a set of my 50 lb york globes from the 60's...also have 75 lb york globes
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2015, 02:57:54 PM »
bur 1938-66
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!