Author Topic: What about this routine?  (Read 2417 times)

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
What about this routine?
« on: December 20, 2005, 07:02:29 AM »
Hello guys...Im thinking in changing my routine a little, and this time
its the first time im making that changes and choosing the exercises. So i would like
you to have a look and say what do you think (the objective: gain mass)

A
Chest
Flat dumbell press   3 sets 8 reps
incline dumbell press   3 sets 8 reps
incline flyes      3 sets 10-8-6 reps
peck deck machine   3 sets 8 reps
decline bench press   3 sets 8 reps

B
Back
deadlifts      4 sets   12-10-8-6
T-bar rows      3 sets 8 reps
dumbell rows      3 sets 8 reps
pulldowns-close grip   3 sets 8 reps
behind the neck pulldowns 3 sets 8 reps

C
shoulders
military press behind the neck 3 sets 8 reps
front raises             3 sets 8 reps
lateral raises             3 sets 8 reps
upright rows         3 sets 8 reps
seated rear raises      3 sets 8 reps

D
Legs
leg press      3 sets 8 reps
smith machine squats   3 sets 8 reps
leg extensions      3 sets 8 reps
lying leg curls      3 sets 8 reps
standing leg curls   3 sets 8 reps
aductor machine      3 sets 8 reps

E
arms
Close grip BP         3 sets 8 reps
triceps extensions      3 sets 12-10-8
Triceps Extension to the front  3 sets 8 reps (more or less like this
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Real=%3C%3D+7&start=10&Name=&MainMuscle=Triceps&Equip=&Isolation=&order=Name
its here like kneeling triceps extention, its the same but standing )
one arm extension (with a inverted hand) 3 sets 8 reps
one arm dumbell curl   3 sets 8 reps
hammer curl      3 sets 8 reps
21īs         3 sets
inverted curls      3 sets   10-8-6 reps

There is also calves, abs and forearms, but im thinking about those still. What do you
think about this routine???
Thanks in advance
!

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: What about this routine?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 07:19:20 AM »
I would scratch Decline Bench Press.  Your lower pec will develope naturally in most cases as long as you hit it hard with flat and incline

Back looks good, 

Shoulders look good (personal preference of DBPress rather then military), 

Legs, I would do regular squats rather than smith machine, and I would replace one of your leg curls with straight leg deadlifts.

Arms look alright. 

If I were you I would crank the sets up to four......and I would aim for failing in the 10-12 rep range......which is the range in which most of your muscle fibers have been incorporated into the workout.  Nothing wrong with going heavy by doing 6-8 reps once in a while, but I think you will see more gains doing 10-12 reps.

Most importantly, you need to find out what works best for you.  And that will be hit and miss until you figure it out.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 07:37:27 AM »
I would scratch Decline Bench Press.  Your lower pec will develope naturally in most cases as long as you hit it hard with flat and incline

Back looks good, 

Shoulders look good (personal preference of DBPress rather then military), 

Legs, I would do regular squats rather than smith machine, and I would replace one of your leg curls with straight leg deadlifts.

Arms look alright. 

If I were you I would crank the sets up to four......and I would aim for failing in the 10-12 rep range......which is the range in which most of your muscle fibers have been incorporated into the workout.  Nothing wrong with going heavy by doing 6-8 reps once in a while, but I think you will see more gains doing 10-12 reps.

Most importantly, you need to find out what works best for you.  And that will be hit and miss until you figure it out.
Thanks for the response. I choose the decline bench press to try to hit better the lower part of the chest. I dont like cable crossovers because it kills my biceps (strange huh?  ???). Do you recomend a better exercise?
 Im weak at squats (in fact in almost every leg exercise) so thats why i choosed the smith, because i can concentrate more in the form without worrying about controling the balance of the body
 I was doing like sets of 12-10-8, or 10-8-6 for almost all exercises, thats why i choosed more equal reps now, because i did this some time ago and i felt good with it. But since im not strong, i think maybe 4 sets of each exercise would be too much, i would be without any strenght at the last sets...
 But its cool to know i did a somewhat good trainning routine!
!

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 12:38:49 PM »
nix decline bench, ageed.

i personally dont ever do front raises, i tihnk between benching and military or DB press my front delts get worked enough.  also I agree i think DB press are better than military.

one thing? are you a natural??

if you are and if you dont have real good genetics i would tink about tryin to do 4 days a week instead of 5 and somehow mixing in arms with other workouts.  (I do bi's with legs for example).  I used to work out 5 days a week but when i went down to 4 that added rest helped me make gains again for th efirst time in  awhile.  Its something worth thinking about, although i dont knwo what you do i go close to failure on most every set.
Valhalla awaits.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 04:56:48 AM »
nix decline bench, ageed.

i personally dont ever do front raises, i tihnk between benching and military or DB press my front delts get worked enough.  also I agree i think DB press are better than military.

one thing? are you a natural??

if you are and if you dont have real good genetics i would tink about tryin to do 4 days a week instead of 5 and somehow mixing in arms with other workouts.  (I do bi's with legs for example).  I used to work out 5 days a week but when i went down to 4 that added rest helped me make gains again for th efirst time in  awhile.  Its something worth thinking about, although i dont knwo what you do i go close to failure on most every set.
I was doing dumbell presses, thats why im exchanging to military, to change a little.
To asnwer your question yes im natural!
I was also doing a 4 day split in my previous workout, and i did it for a long time...The last time i did 5 days a week workouts i had good gains ,so thats why im changing to that again, but after this workout, im thinking in maybe go back again to train like chest with triceps or biceps, and other kinds of combined parts...
 Yesterday i did the back part of the routine and i felt pretty good!!! i never did deadlifts neither t bar rows, and man, just after the deadlift i was feeling all my back!!! I enjoyed very much
Thanks for the replies
!

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 05:27:43 AM »
I agree w/the others here that I would drop the declines for chest.Maybe replace them w/dips?Also, as to your shoulders, I would drop the front raises.You already have the upright rows in there which hit the front delts well & as Petrucci stated your chest workout hits the front delts a lot.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 08:02:51 AM »
I do declines, but only because when i do dips if i set bars so they are supposed to hit chest (wide elbows) i just feel it in shoulders, so i set bars closer (supposed to hit tri's more), and then it hits tri's.

Id listen to the guys tho as they know what they are talking about.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 09:07:39 AM »
I was doing a different workout, where i trained chest and shoulders on the same day...At the beginning it was a very good shock to my shoulders, but they are really a lagging body part (i think shoulders are one of my worst parts).  Thats why i put the front raises, to hit even more specifically the front part of the shoulders
 Yeah , a lot of guys are saying dips are a good exercise for lower chest, so i think im going to try it.  But one thing, the only difference about dips and triceps pressdowns are the position of the body??? When i did it some time ago i also felt the triceps doing all the work, and not the chest...
 Can someone enlighten on this?
!

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 09:28:39 AM »
For dips to be effective for chest theres a little variation in the technique of the exercise to hit the chest instead of the tris.For chest you should angle your body forward (triceps you keep the body more erect) & allow your elbows to travel outwards from the side of your body (for triceps you keep the elbows in close to your sides).Try to keep your rep cadence slow & controlled w/no bouncing & you should see results.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 08:22:21 AM »
Try doing Incline DB press followed my Decline BB press...6-10 reps with a good squeeze. come back and tell me decline is worthless. the problem with decline is most people do it wrong. use a medium grip and do reps in the 6-10 range with a good squeeze at the top.

Dips and decline are "similar" not "the same". both should be done from time to time.

8)

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 09:35:44 AM »
Very cool, thanks for all the replies guys, its very informative!
I already did shoulders, back and arms with this new routine, and i think its being great so far!
I will try some variations on the chest day to see what feels better on working the lower chest more...Once again, thanks for the tips!
!

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 12:55:16 PM »
Try doing Incline DB press followed my Decline BB press...6-10 reps with a good squeeze. come back and tell me decline is worthless. the problem with decline is most people do it wrong. use a medium grip and do reps in the 6-10 range with a good squeeze at the top.

Dips and decline are "similar" not "the same". both should be done from time to time.

8)

I have.....and decline is worthless for me.  Thats why people should try everything to see what works for them.  Just becuase they work for you doesn't mean they will work for others...and vise versa.  But when they ask for opinions of others, people will tell what has and hasn't worked for them. 

And I am pretty sure I was doing them right.