Author Topic: Newton's laws of motion  (Read 5631 times)

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
Re: Newton's laws of motion
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
  ONLY love for Coach. Great human being. Will give the shirt off of his very back.

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »
  ONLY love for Coach. Great human being. Will give the shirt off of his very back.

Did your phone change "wet" to "very"?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Coach, keep in mind, football tackles (collisions) are different than a car crash between two inanimate objects. Watch video of Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell , or John Riggins to see that power, speed, balance and leg drive will go a long way in determining who comes out on top in an on field collision.

Yes, of course. I completely understand that. Thanks

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2013, 09:54:33 PM »

Thanks Steve, appreciate that.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »
Coach, keep in mind, football tackles (collisions) are different than a car crash between two inanimate objects. Watch video of Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell , or John Riggins to see that power, speed, balance and leg drive will go a long way in determining who comes out on top in an on field collision.

Power, Speed, and balance all determine mass and acceleration. They are all intertwined.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2013, 01:45:51 AM »
Phsysics club.

Do I remember right that kinetic energy is mass * velocity squared?

Not sure if billiard balls or similar ideal objects make a good comparison.  I agree with previous posters that a foot on the ground would transfer force and negate calculations predicated on colliding bodies being unsupported.  The angle of incidence with the ground would be critical.  There's also the problem that the two players aren't shaped like blocks or spheres and won't be hitting one another center to center, so they are going to rotate around one another and the transfer of energy wouldn't be 100%.  A human form will also buckle and change shape at impact, unlike a billiard ball or ideal object, so you've got moments of torque and a shifting center being introduced by the change in shape of the two players bodies in addition to linear vectors.  And an unlucky player's body would buckle at a point where the force of impact is sufficient to overcome the integrity of a joint.

In all, an increase in velocity will do more to increase the force of impact than an increase in mass.  When I was a kid, maybe 70 or 80lbs, I knocked a big fat dude a long way when I skied into him. 

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2013, 02:46:23 AM »
Power, Speed, and balance all determine mass and acceleration. They are all intertwined.

power = work done / time

work done is force x distance. force = mass x acceleration.

acceleration = velocity/time

so power = mass x velocity/time x distance/time
= (mass x velocity x distance) / time^2