Author Topic: Inside the AP: Fear, determination  (Read 447 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Inside the AP: Fear, determination
« on: May 14, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/inside-the-ap-fear-determination-91338.html?hp=t1_3

Reporters across The Associated Press are outraged over the Justice Department’s sweeping seizure of staff phone records - and they say such an intrusion could chill their relationships with confidential sources.

In conversations with POLITICO on Tuesday, several AP staffers in Washington, D.C., described feelings of anger and frustration with the DOJ and with the Obama administration in general.

Continue Reading Text Size
-+resetAP exec editor: Never 'seen anything like this'
Issa: Report prompts DOJ review
Latest on POLITICO
Jury rules against Adelson's company
Limbaugh: I live in Obama's head
House conservatives bash reform
Puerto Rico statehood push
Farm bill clears Senate Ag committee
NTSB: Lower blood-alcohol limit
“People are pretty mad — mad that government has not taken what we do seriously,” one reporter said on Tuesday. “When the news broke yesterday…people were outraged and disgusted. No one was yelling and screaming, but it was like, “Are you kidding me!?”

“People are ticked,” said another. “Everyone supports the reporters involved.”

(Also on POLITICO: Scandal politics sweep Capitol Hill)

The behind-the-scenes anger - and heads-down determination of the AP staff to keep doing their jobs amid the extraordinary public flap - comes as top executives from the wire service have mounted an aggressive public pushback against DOJ, calling its snooping a “massive and unprecedented intrusion” in a letter fired off to Attorney General Eric Holder. And yet something of a bunker-like atmosphere has taken hold at the AP in Washington with at least some of its employees being told not to talk to the press and no bureau-wide meetings or announcements about the DOJ’s action, AP sources told POLITICO.

The AP employees interviewed by POLITICO did not want to be identified because, according to several sources, at least some journalists have been asked not to speak to the press.

The chief concern about the government probe, according to many of those journalists, is that the DOJ’s intrusion will compromise their relationships with confidential sources, some of whom now fear that their private correspondence could be obtained by the federal government.

(Also on POLITICO: Journalists fume over DOJ raid on AP)

“We all know that confidential sourcing is the lifeblood of what we do, and people can’t come to us if they think they’re going to be compromised,” one reporter said. “It’s hard enough getting sources, now we’re afraid this is going to have a chilling effect.”

“I had a source today who contacted me and joked about meeting on a park bench, but he was half-serious,” the reporter continued. “How bizarre would that be in 2013?”

AP President and CEO Gary Pruitt described on Monday as a “massive and unprecedented intrusion” by the Justice Department. (An AP spokesperson said the company had nothing to add to yesterday’s statement.)

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/inside-the-ap-fear-determination-91338.html#ixzz2TIZWAkr3
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Inside the AP: Fear, determination
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:08:31 PM »
Funny how obama has no problems with leaks when they benefit him but put the boot of big govt on peoples' necks when it harms him. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:09:49 PM »
“We all know that confidential sourcing is the lifeblood of what we do, and people can’t come to us if they think they’re going to be compromised,” one reporter said. “It’s hard enough getting sources, now we’re afraid this is going to have a chilling effect.”

Truth. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »

Truth. 

Obama knows that once his corruption comes to light it will always look awful. 

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:16:08 PM »
Yes.  Media has been doing a such a smashing job, I can understand why the administration would feel threatened.

Honestly, I don't quite know how to interpret this thing, being that the media has been such an absolute failure at its supposed cause.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »
Strange times

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »
Should be the name of a newspaper: Strange Times

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 04:43:16 PM »
I bet that 43.8765% of Repthuglicans couldn't find the AP's headquarters on a map!!!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »
I bet that 43.8765% of Repthuglicans couldn't find the AP's headquarters on a map!!!

LOL

;D

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »

:D