Author Topic: Game of the YEAR.  (Read 4664 times)

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
Re: Game of the YEAR.
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 07:47:41 PM »

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 08:35:48 PM »
Too bad GTA V won't have the working out/bulking feature, otherwise it looks amazing and the map size is huge.

GTA is really about the details, the radio is awesome and even the quotes from the pedestrians are so damn funny.
Weasel news is a staple (WKTT) on the radio and I hope Fernando Martinez and Lazlow return.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »
No.  I found it to be boring with a horrible story line actually.  Little variation and did I mention its incredibly boring and too easy.

I am playing through the Mass Effect Trilogy again and that is how a story should be.  Far Cry 3 is shit.

how long did you play it?  the story gets much better, all the villains are some of the more memorable i've ever seen, buck would be really popular around here ;)

there's a lot of variation like hunting, hang gliding, racing, taking over out posts, treasure hunting aside from the main game

too easy?  they recently added a patch for a super hard difficulty

i thought it was better than red dead

E
E

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 09:37:46 PM »
???

The new look is probably the best part about it.  You just get done giving your off-topic rant about "interactive movies" and then say you won't play it on aesthetic grounds, basically... you, along with everyone else whining about DmC, say you like games, but here comes a game that is at worst marginally inferior to previous games in the series, and you refuse to play it?  did you play DMC 4?  there's a lot more to complain about there than with DmC...

i think everyone got so fuckin rabid as soon as ninja theory took the helm, they were too prideful to admit they were wrong.  out comes a solid game with some minor problems, and everyone blows things way out of proportion.

Umm, I guess I didn't get across what I intended to get across?

Basically, I would give a single rat's ass what look/story they took with the DmC name if the gameplay was as good as the rest of the series (barring 2). NO ONE ever played the DMC series for the story. It was always about kicking ass in the most insane way possible if you wanted to get the highest scores. DmC is NOT a bad game, it's just got the title of a series in a different category of gaming attached to it. So yeah...I'm not playing it. Games like the original DMC series are niche and rare. I am definitely not voting with my dollar to have the DMC series, which is the grand dad of this genre anyways, to become some yearly update with a halfassed campaign you beat in 20 hours never to touch again.

And yea, a lot of people got rabid when NT took the helm. Which I didn't care...but then signs of them dropping the ball creeped up. Unreal engine, new Dante looking like the dev, them TELLING YOU all the time HOW AWESOME their story was or saying HOW COOL the combat is. Then the demo...garbage.

Then the Platinum Game crew just goes "hey, play this year old build of our game coming out in a few months". Jaws drop. Then they go "Here, we have a article about how we did X." They didn't have to tell you how AWESOME and COOL their game was. They let you find out for yourself.

I'd much rather have a game like Revengeance, or Vanquish, that I can beat the campaign in less than 4 hours. But then I immediately go back to do it again. Then again. Then again. BECAUSE IT IS ACTUALLY FREAKING FUN.

Yes, I played DMC4. It's a freaking FANTASTIC game in the series. My complaint was not playing as Dante as much as I would like, but the mechanics of the new character were still really strong and engaging. Also, it's a DMC game!

Also, when you say the new look is probably the best part about it then you clearly weren't the audience the original series was aiming for. If you were, you would not give one damn about the looks as long as the gameplay delivered.

omg why did i write so much i play to many video games halp

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 10:47:45 PM »
how long did you play it?  the story gets much better, all the villains are some of the more memorable i've ever seen, buck would be really popular around here ;)

there's a lot of variation like hunting, hang gliding, racing, taking over out posts, treasure hunting aside from the main game

too easy?  they recently added a patch for a super hard difficulty

i thought it was better than red dead

E
The game is way too thin, every thing feels the same, the outposts do not vary at all.  All you need is a Silencer on the Sniper Rifle and its easier than shooting fish in a barrel.  Pointless.  The story is garbage and plays like a cheap novel or C movie (more like F movie, not even worthy of VHS).  It REALLY is that bad.  You get powerful weapons from the start just by going to the towers which are annoying as all hell, waste of time to climb.  So boring.  The "idols" and "memory Cards" and "letters" you find add absolutely NOTHING to the game and the dead Asian soldier in every location looks so silly.  The cars do not vary, the wildlife AI is dumb as bricks, the trinkets you find are tiresome.

The game really fucking sucks.  Wish I never owned it.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 10:50:55 PM »
Lets also not forget the BAD, BAD AI in Far Cry 3.  Pathetic how they run around you like morons after being shot and then forget all about it.  Its a joke really.  There really is nothing to that game. 

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 11:01:30 PM »
The game is way too thin, every thing feels the same, the outposts do not vary at all.  All you need is a Silencer on the Sniper Rifle and its easier than shooting fish in a barrel.  Pointless.  The story is garbage and plays like a cheap novel or C movie (more like F movie, not even worthy of VHS).  It REALLY is that bad.  You get powerful weapons from the start just by going to the towers which are annoying as all hell, waste of time to climb.  So boring.  The "idols" and "memory Cards" and "letters" you find add absolutely NOTHING to the game and the dead Asian soldier in every location looks so silly.  The cars do not vary, the wildlife AI is dumb as bricks, the trinkets you find are tiresome.

The game really fucking sucks.  Wish I never owned it.

while this is all true, the game is almost great.  if they just had better, more aggressive AI (which i think they added? still probably not good enough) and removed all that extraneous shit, it would have been awesome.

the environment is great, the shooting/movement mechanics are cool, even running around just feels awesome, and some of the stuff (hang-glider, wingsuit, stealth mechanics) are pretty inspired.  it all falls apart due to the non-existant challenge, caused by overpowered weapons and under-aggressive enemies.

i actually liked the story too; i'm fond of the "ordinary guy has to rise up and meet the challenge of a lifetime" type scenario.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 02:52:45 AM »
while this is all true, the game is almost great.  if they just had better, more aggressive AI (which i think they added? still probably not good enough) and removed all that extraneous shit, it would have been awesome.

the environment is great, the shooting/movement mechanics are cool, even running around just feels awesome, and some of the stuff (hang-glider, wingsuit, stealth mechanics) are pretty inspired.  it all falls apart due to the non-existant challenge, caused by overpowered weapons and under-aggressive enemies.

i actually liked the story too; i'm fond of the "ordinary guy has to rise up and meet the challenge of a lifetime" type scenario.
The extraneous shit (not that there is any really) is the only thing that is okay about the game (and it really is shit still since there really isn`t much to do at all).  Get rid of that, and you have an even shittier shit game.

The environment is not that great and there never really was any kind of ecological feel to it.  The sharks were more or less cartoon like and the random alligator attacks that you can escape just by hitting the button fast are a joke.  Then you have the bow and arrow which is just as powerful if not more powerful than the Rocket Launcher  ::).  I like how you can shoot a bear in the head with an exploding sniper rifle round and it doesn`t kill it.  ::)  Just moronic.  

The shooting is nothing new or different from any other First Person shooter.  What stealth mechanics? The one where you have an unlimited amount of magical rocks in your pockets to throw in order to "distract" the enemy.  Oh brother.  ::)  Yes, the eye-roll again.  Or that you can literally walk around the outposts in crouch right in front of everyone and they somehow don`t see you?  hahaha

This isn`t a story about an ordinary guy rising up at all.  Its a mish mash of the shittiest Grade F movie cliches thrown together in a loose toilet based narrative and flushed around like the piece of fecal excrement it is.  The characters are worthless and thin, bro this bro that all taking place with dumb contrived scenario after the next and on and on and on.  

The whole thing falls apart because it was never together in the first place.  Its really an exercise in monotonous stupidity with nothing really to offer at all.  

Sweedee

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 07:40:46 AM »
People will suffer in the hands of Trevor. Hopping on the quad and visiting some soccermoms in the suburbs.

First gta I will actually buy. So looking forward to seeing what they have done with the MP which they claimed would be revolutionary. Personally I would be Ok with a massive freeroam ala red read but with a bunch of interesting small quests at the same time. And ofc the deathmatches etc which will be in there.

And I Hope they have made the money aspect more interesting. It's been horrible in all gta games. You should really have to work for it and value it.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
The extraneous shit (not that there is any really) is the only thing that is okay about the game (and it really is shit still since there really isn`t much to do at all).  Get rid of that, and you have an even shittier shit game.

Nah, less time spent developing cookie-cutter side quests and more time adding main missions would always improve these "sandbox" games.  The only side-mission type I liked was "Wanted Dead" which actually highlights a lot of the game's strengths.  Had there been more sequences where you were restricted and at a disadvantage, as in those missions, the game would have been way better.

The environment is not that great and there never really was any kind of ecological feel to it.  The sharks were more or less cartoon like and the random alligator attacks that you can escape just by hitting the button fast are a joke.  Then you have the bow and arrow which is just as powerful if not more powerful than the Rocket Launcher  ::).  I like how you can shoot a bear in the head with an exploding sniper rifle round and it doesn`t kill it.  ::)  Just moronic.  

While it's still better than the vast majority of FPS games, I agree about the silly quick time events though, and over-powered animals.  Again, the challenge level to this game is waaaay off, agreed.  Animals should have been quicker to kill and be killed.  The bow and arrow was a really fun weapon.  Yeah, it's silly how it was as powerful as a sniper rifle, but that's not a huge complaint imo.  The other guns should have just been stronger.

The shooting is nothing new or different from any other First Person shooter.  What stealth mechanics? The one where you have an unlimited amount of magical rocks in your pockets to throw in order to "distract" the enemy.  Oh brother.  ::)  Yes, the eye-roll again.  Or that you can literally walk around the outposts in crouch right in front of everyone and they somehow don`t see you?  hahaha

The shooting/moving is very well done.  I'm not sure what other FPS gives your character such a wide range of behaviors.  You can perform stealth kills of several different varieties (chaining with knives, from above, from below, chaining with guns, explosive suicide bomber), drag bodies off, crouch, slide, run, glide (in the latter half of the game), mantle, look down sights, peek behind cover (very cool mechanic, never seen this before), heal yourself two different ways (with advantages and disadvantages to each), throw rocks for stealth purposes, swim, slash, survey and mark enemies with your camera, and so on.  All in all, these abilities make Jason more dynamic than any other FPS character I've played as (though I'm not a fanatic of the genre, I at least know the possibilities here shit on genre watermarks like Half-Life, Halo, and COD).

Yeah, the "marking enemies" was ridiculously overpowered, yeah the enemies were too dumb given your stealth capabilities, yeah your rocks are unlimited, yeah your arsenal was ridiculously overpowered considering your opposition.  But these issues, along with almost every other in the game, are symptoms of the same underlying cause: underpowered, under-aggressive enemies.  That's why I say the game was "almost great".  All the pieces of the puzzle are there, if they just made you actually HAVE to use everything in a skilled manner by making the enemies hit harder and more often, less forgetful, less blind, etc. the game would have undoubtedly been one of the best ever FPS.

Having to build up your abilities by hunting, scavenging, etc. is also a good idea in theory, but a bit poorly executed.  These upgrades should have been less "free form" and more structured to coincide with ramp-ups in game difficulty.  Should have been fewer in number and correlated with significant in-game events.  Again the worst parts of "sandbox game design" rear their head -- spend a couple hours randomly doing rinse-and-repeat shit and end up with all the upgrades ::).  These improvements I've suggested would have been easier to implement if they spent less time creating random quests ("listen as the guy confesses his wife's been cheating on him" wtf lol), multiplayer modes which no one is going to play, or "extraneous shit" in general, and more time on the meat of the game.

This isn`t a story about an ordinary guy rising up at all.  Its a mish mash of the shittiest Grade F movie cliches thrown together in a loose toilet based narrative and flushed around like the piece of fecal excrement it is.  The characters are worthless and thin, bro this bro that all taking place with dumb contrived scenario after the next and on and on and on.  

The whole thing falls apart because it was never together in the first place.  Its really an exercise in monotonous stupidity with nothing really to offer at all.  

I disagree.  Jason is absolutely an "ordinary guy" cast into do-or-die circumstances, and rises to the challenge throughout the course of the game.  I liked that part, at least.  I didn't like how he eventually comes to regret all his actions (or, if not, dies as "punishment") in the ending... bunch of dissonant, moralizing bullshit if you ask me.

You raise a lot of valid points, but I think you go too far.  Just making the enemies deadlier, more alert, etc. (which is all stuff based, from a programming perspective, on simple parameters that could be modified relatively easily) would have made the game very, very good.  Implementing the rest of the ideas I talked about would really polish it off and make it incredible.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 09:28:54 PM »
adonis liked red dead redemption a lot

great game but how was it so much better than far cry 3? 

the story was a typical western, while far cry explores the human psyche and how far a person would go when they have to survive and save their friends

the shooting wasn't as smooth as far cry, the side missions were pointless unlike far cry where you have to do them to level up, more memorable villains i've seen a lot of people compare Vaas to ledger's joker, i can't even remember any of the characters in red dead other than john marston

E

E