Author Topic: Crossfit: What's the point of walking with heavy dumbbells?  (Read 6162 times)

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
Re: Crossfit: What's the point of walking with heavy dumbbells?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 05:13:36 AM »
Not Joe. I don't run gimmicks, I despise them.

My statement was in reference to you saying you like CF threads.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 05:20:17 AM »
And you put a crossfitter under 405 and he'll be leaving in an ambulance...what's your point ?

Apples and Oranges.

CF guys (the better ones, not the weekend warriors....and bodybuilding has these guys as well) train for muscular endurance AND strength.  Put any bodybuilder up against a cf guy and see the bodybuilder more than likely get crushed with a Clean or snatch.  Also, most bodybuilders are lazy fucks when it comes to lifting.  You know this.  Show me a lot of them that will get under 405 for reps....

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 05:35:57 AM »
CF guys (the better ones, not the weekend warriors....and bodybuilding has these guys as well) train for muscular endurance AND strength.  Put any bodybuilder up against a cf guy and see the bodybuilder more than likely get crushed with a Clean or snatch.  Also, most bodybuilders are lazy fucks when it comes to lifting.  You know this.  Show me a lot of them that will get under 405 for reps....

A GOOD bodybuilder can. And from what i have seen, very few CFers  have impressive strength.

Maybe the top guys. But it's still an irrelevant argument. Bodybuilders train to have extremely muscualr physiques...that's the goal.

A top CFer will have an impressive physique, for sure..to the layman. Put him onstage at the Arnold and not so much.

Put a top BBer in the lineup at the Crossfit games and he will fail just as miserably. I dont see what's so hard to follow here. Its like comparing bowling and archery.  And this is probably why i think CFers are like cult members...you think Crossfit is great, i get the concept.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 07:09:40 AM »
A GOOD bodybuilder can. And from what i have seen, very few CFers  have impressive strength.

Maybe the top guys. But it's still an irrelevant argument. Bodybuilders train to have extremely muscualr physiques...that's the goal.

A top CFer will have an impressive physique, for sure..to the layman. Put him onstage at the Arnold and not so much.

Put a top BBer in the lineup at the Crossfit games and he will fail just as miserably. I dont see what's so hard to follow here. Its like comparing bowling and archery.  And this is probably why i think CFers are like cult members...you think Crossfit is great, i get the concept.
Exactly, spot on.

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 07:47:30 AM »
While they are good for reasons stated above, they're also really good at beating the shit out of your intervertebral discs and joint cartilage.  IMO, there are better/safer ways to work on (grip, back,etc.) strength and conditioning, that's if your in this for longevity.   

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 07:49:56 AM »
We must talk to Goodrum about this for his expert advice.

jephrius

• Getbig III
  • PayDay
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 08:02:18 AM »
There is some crossfit place near my work and at lunch I'll see these shits running down the street.  Recently I see both guys and gals walking around the block holding a pair of dumbbells.  Other than helping your grip, what is the purpose?
I see this one douche who must be trying to be the alpha of his gay troop carrying what looked to be 60-70 pound dumbbells in each hand.  He would take 3 to 4 steps then put them down and try again, over and over and over.  It looked like his arms were about to rip off his body.  He wasn't doing lunges or anything, he just couldn't take more than a few steps with that weight before resting them on the sidewalk.  This shit is just hilarious.
You mad?

akers1021

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • "Big arms and delts dont make you a bodybuilder"
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »

;D

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 10:07:39 AM »
The problem I have with crossfit is how "in your face" all of these douchebags are. They think they're hardcore, belong to some exclusive guild of "athletes" ...etc etc  It seems like a fad that with the more crazy movements you do the better.

I belonged to a local boxing gym and every thursday we would have an hour of crossfit type excersises. Box jumps, burpees, split squats, bunch of ab work, ..etc  Sure it wasn't easy, you get spent really quick.

I never felt the need to wear the lame shirts of how hard the workout was.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »
The problem I have with crossfit is how "in your face" all of these douchebags are. They think they're hardcore, belong to some exclusive guild of "athletes" ...etc etc  It seems like a fad that with the more crazy movements you do the better.

I belonged to a local boxing gym and every thursday we would have an hour of crossfit type excersises. Box jumps, burpees, split squats, bunch of ab work, ..etc  Sure it wasn't easy, you get spent really quick.

x2 I'm sure it's great for getting you in shape (at least a certain kind of shape as "Seven Copper Coins" pointed out) but it's still a really obnoxious way of working out in a lot of cases.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 11:21:49 AM »
A GOOD bodybuilder can. And from what i have seen, very few CFers  have impressive strength.

Put a top BBer in the lineup at the Crossfit games and he will fail just as miserably. I dont see what's so hard to follow here. Its like comparing bowling and archery.  And this is probably why i think CFers are like cult members...you think Crossfit is great, i get the concept.

I am saying that after 'competing' in bodybuilding for 25yrs that very few of the guys I saw (and I saw some national level guys) wanted to get under 405.  Also, last time I checked its how you looked...now how much you lifted for bodybuilding.  The only thing impressive about someone on an Arnold stage is how their kidneys and livers are still functioning.  You want impressive strength...I would think that powerlifting is what you should be looking at.  There is really nothing impressive anymore about the pros today.  Would you not agree?  So many have done the 'how much can I take in the shortest time possible' route.  Its just my opinion, but I think the 80's - 90's was the age of guys really training and getting big.  Now, I just see guys getting big with as little as possible.  But, I digress...

You made the statement that a CF-er would get crushed by a 405 squat.  Well, so would a lot of baseball players and basketball players.  Maybe I am missing something, but you are the one with the initial comparison.  I think if you checked out the video of the 2012 Mens Clean Ladder, you may give some of those guys some 'props'.  It takes endurance, but more so technique and strength to do what they did.

I do think CF is a great way to compete.  I have never, nor will I ever, think its the be all-end-all thing to do.  I try to not care to much what people say about it. I plan on competing next year.  I am enjoying the progress I have made so far.  Really has been challenging.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »

Exactly....THIS is what I have a problem with.  When you think about it...they are no different than the koolade drinking douche bags in bodybuilding. 

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 11:35:31 AM »
I am saying that after 'competing' in bodybuilding for 25yrs that very few of the guys I saw (and I saw some national level guys) wanted to get under 405.  Also, last time I checked its how you looked...now how much you lifted for bodybuilding.  The only thing impressive about someone on an Arnold stage is how their kidneys and livers are still functioning.  You want impressive strength...I would think that powerlifting is what you should be looking at.  There is really nothing impressive anymore about the pros today.  Would you not agree?  So many have done the 'how much can I take in the shortest time possible' route.  Its just my opinion, but I think the 80's - 90's was the age of guys really training and getting big.  Now, I just see guys getting big with as little as possible.  But, I digress...

You made the statement that a CF-er would get crushed by a 405 squat.  Well, so would a lot of baseball players and basketball players.  Maybe I am missing something, but you are the one with the initial comparison.  I think if you checked out the video of the 2012 Mens Clean Ladder, you may give some of those guys some 'props'.  It takes endurance, but more so technique and strength to do what they did.

I do think CF is a great way to compete.  I have never, nor will I ever, think its the be all-end-all thing to do.  I try to not care to much what people say about it. I plan on competing next year.  I am enjoying the progress I have made so far.  Really has been challenging.

I was responding to Oltimers post where he was a typical crossfit cheerleader. I agree with much of what you say....was just making a point that he may as well compare a scuba diver to a crossfitter for all of its relrvance. Definitely a tough workout, I've done it. I treated myself to a new bicycle as a Christmas present to myself...got one of those sperm shaped helmets and everything...And i put in about 75 miles a week at a tough pace. I'm all about cardio fitness and using your head a lottle as you get older.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 11:44:49 AM »
groink.  Have you tried CF?

I hate when people call it hard.  It's not hard, just different.  Take anyone and let them do it for a month and they will be fine.  You can take anyone and introduce them to a new workout and they will struggle at first, but they adapt.
When I tried P90X the first week was killer, by week 3 I was bored to shit of it.

Groink!!!!!!!

I was responding to Oltimers post where he was a typical crossfit cheerleader. I agree with much of what you say....was just making a point that he may as well compare a scuba diver to a crossfitter for all of its relrvance. Definitely a tough workout, I've done it. I treated myself to a new bicycle as a Christmas present to myself...got one of those sperm shaped helmets and everything...And i put in about 75 miles a week at a tough pace. I'm all about cardio fitness and using your head a lottle as you get older.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
groink.  Have you tried CF?

I hate when people call it hard.  It's not hard, just different.  Take anyone and let them do it for a month and they will be fine.  You can take anyone and introduce them to a new workout and they will struggle at first, but they adapt.
When I tried P90X the first week was killer, by week 3 I was bored to shit of it.

Groink!!!!!!!

Yup ive done it. It's a good tough workout...but i got through it and didn't have a heart attack like a few of these guys say. Not everyone is Cswol...LOL.

And i agree that you throw something new at anyone and they aren't going to ace it first time they do it...good point.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »
Crossfit is for weak punks. Just lift some heavy iron and correct diet = simple.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »
groink.  Have you tried CF?

I hate when people call it hard.  It's not hard, just different.  Take anyone and let them do it for a month and they will be fine.  You can take anyone and introduce them to a new workout and they will struggle at first, but they adapt.

Groink!!!!!!!

So, bodybuilding isn't boring as hell?

Bodybuilding isn't hard.  Far from it.  As far as this type of training...its hard in the sense of the coordination, the stamina/endurace, and strength parts of it.  I think that you are talking about the run of the mill basic CF stuff.  I would like to see you do one of the workouts, then a month later be "fine" with it.

Hmm...I guess I will be a weak punk then. 

deviant

• Getbig IV
  • C.U.N.T
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »
The gym i go to rents some floor space to the local Crossfit club.

Got no problem with them myself, they are just trying to get fitter and stronger like almost everybody else in a gym.
Their method of training looks fun, a lot more varied than simply going for a run or sliding back and forth on a rowing machine for 30mins.

There is a girl in particular i would like to nail, she has a stunning body....and can clean more than me, which is sad and yet arousing all at once.

I did a quick cardio session today and watched two of the blokes going through their routine.
They did the usual rope climbs, gymnast rings, sprints/shuttle runs stuff....but then they were doing front squats and at one point had 4 plates a side....only a couple of reps mind but impressive nontheless.

Good on them, they looked in better shape than most bodybuilders.....i'm convinced the iron game isnt for everybody, in fact i think only a small percentage of the population do look good from it....most get hung up on bulking and end up fat.
To this day the best i've looked was when i knocked the weights on the head altogether and did 2 x 2hr kickboxing sessions a week and just watched my diet....i was about 30lbs lighter than when i was lifting but got far more female attention.
C.U.N.T

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »
So, bodybuilding isn't boring as hell?

Bodybuilding isn't hard.  Far from it.  As far as this type of training...its hard in the sense of the coordination, the stamina/endurace, and strength parts of it.  I think that you are talking about the run of the mill basic CF stuff.  I would like to see you do one of the workouts, then a month later be "fine" with it.

Hmm...I guess I will be a weak punk then. 

I think it has a lot to do with personalities too. Crossfit is a more social, competitive type thing. I don't need anotther social obligation in my life ...LOL.

meeting a bunch of people to do "chippers", setting up equipment., etc. sounds like a fucking project to me...i just want to work out.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »
I agree.  Personalities are a big part.  I have found that I rediscovered the camaraderie I had way back when I started bodybuilding.  I joke a lot with the people training.  We encourage people going for PR's in things.  Make sure that people are giving their all.  Kind of nice.  The way I train is that I know what I have to do when I go in, and thats all I do.  Sure there are groups training but I am doing my own thing.  I like being in control of my things.  The whole setting up thing is not too intensive either.  People do supersets and giant sets...that was a pain in the ass getting everything together and making sure it was available when I needed it.

As far as social obligation...its not like you have to attend extra meetings or like they have pot luck dinners.  Hell, most places only encourage three days a week of training.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »
I agree.  Personalities are a big part.  I have found that I rediscovered the camaraderie I had way back when I started bodybuilding.  I joke a lot with the people training.  We encourage people going for PR's in things.  Make sure that people are giving their all.  Kind of nice.  The way I train is that I know what I have to do when I go in, and thats all I do.  Sure there are groups training but I am doing my own thing.  I like being in control of my things.  The whole setting up thing is not too intensive either.  People do supersets and giant sets...that was a pain in the ass getting everything together and making sure it was available when I needed it.

As far as social obligation...its not like you have to attend extra meetings or like they have pot luck dinners.  Hell, most places only encourage three days a week of training.

Thats three days more than i want to meet up with a group of people to train. Not being a wiseass....Thats just me dude, i train when i have the time, and when the urge hits. I train alone and come and go as i please. Two modes...headphones in, hat over eyes..antisocial mode...no headphones or hat...social mode.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 08:28:46 PM »
Thats three days more than i want to meet up with a group of people to train. Not being a wiseass....Thats just me dude, i train when i have the time, and when the urge hits. I train alone and come and go as i please. Two modes...headphones in, hat over eyes..antisocial mode...no headphones or hat...social mode.

I know you aren't being a wise-ass.  I go in when its convenient for me.  Some days 8am, some days 12:30pm, on shitty ones...7:30pm.  I don't have a partner with me or anything.  I do get to put my iPod on the box so that my music plays (yes, its quite a sight to see 65yo people having to deal with "Angel of Death" blaring.  There are times i have my headphones on.  You can't always do that with the Olympic movements.  I wish you could, but its not feasible. 

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2013, 08:12:35 AM »
While they are good for reasons stated above, they're also really good at beating the shit out of your intervertebral discs and joint cartilage.  IMO, there are better/safer ways to work on (grip, back,etc.) strength and conditioning, that's if your in this for longevity.   

What exercises damage IVD's in crossfit?

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2013, 08:18:58 AM »
Looking at womens lycra-clad posteriors, is said to aggrevate the first few vertebrae if done too quickly

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2013, 08:20:51 AM »
this is a great thread especially the one post were he calls certain exercises "crossfit" exercises as if they invented the exercise. lol