Author Topic: Best Death Metal Band of all-time  (Read 6732 times)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Re: Best Death Metal Band of all-time
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 03:45:52 PM »
I never said it takes no talent, not a single time. I said the lyrics are fucking comical, and they are.  As far as the members of tool not being able to play death metal.....HAHAHAHAHAAAAA AA. You know this how, exactly ?  Was there a contest?  

Not all death metal lyrics are "comical". Many bands sing about guts and gore (there's even sub-genres for that) but other bands' lyrics like Nile and Morbid Angel are more complicated than that.

BB related, Corpsegrinder's neck after years of headbanging:

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
Not all death metal lyrics are "comical".

This

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/death/individualthoughtpatterns.html

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/death/symbolic.html

Tool is popular because it's simple and accessible to the masses. Simple melodies. Death Metal, for the most part is highly technical and takes more attention and thought to appreciate. The same can be said of pop as opposed to jazz.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »
There are exceptions to every rule. The genre as a whole puts me off it, so I'm not well versed in the good vs the bad.

Oh and PS good to have you back Zach. It's nice to be able to have a heated discission with someone that stays on topic and doesn't devolve into facebook threats.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2013, 04:01:08 PM »
This

Tool is popular because it's simple and accessible to the masses. Simple melodies. Death Metal, for the most part is highly technical and takes more attention and thought to appreciate. The same can be said of pop as opposed to jazz.

Yeah, but music that is complex for the sake of being complex is no more worthy or "better" it's what they choose to do.

It's like the guitar nerds who argue online that Steve Vai "cant" play Jazz. I'm sure he can do whatever the fuck he wants with a guitar, there is nothing he can't learn and play...it's what he chooses to play. And i would say the same thing about any proficient musician.

Tool breaks out the occasional speed metal riff, and odd time signature. Nothing stopping them from doing a whole record of it but them.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2013, 04:12:42 PM »
Yeah, but music that is complex for the sake of being complex is no more worthy or "better" it's what they choose to do.

It's like the guitar nerds who argue online that Steve Vai "cant" play Jazz. I'm sure he can do whatever the fuck he wants with a guitar, there is nothing he can't learn and play...it's what he chooses to play. And i would say the same thing about any proficient musician.

Tool breaks out the occasional speed metal riff, and odd time signature. Nothing stopping them from doing a whole record of it but them.

Music tastes are purely subjective. It's really a pointless debate. Personally, I find simple songs fairly boring and would rather listen to the complex melodies and arrangements found in prog, death, jazz and classical. I find the music more emotional and exciting. Again, it's subjective.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
Music tastes are purely subjective. It's really a pointless debate. Personally, I find simple songs fairly boring and would rather listen to the complex melodies and arrangements found in prog, death, jazz and classical. I find the music more emotional and exciting. Again, it's subjective.

Yup. Just enjoying a little debate. To each their own.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
I never said it takes no talent, not a single time. I said the lyrics are fucking comical, and they are.  As far as the members of tool not being able to play death metal.....HAHAHAHAHAAAAA AA. You know this how, exactly ?  Was there a contest?  

They are all professinal usicians and I'm sure each could play the others with very little difficulty. Just because they dont do it..doesnt mean they can't do it.

I'm reminded of a quote by Chris Cornell...he said "when I was 17,18...it was all about jimi hendrix, van halen and playing really complex music and guitar solos....then when I got older, I started becoming interested in what The Edge was doing"..I'm paraphrasing.

And no, i don't expect people to live their music, but Demons, suicide, dead roaming the earth....sorry, can't relate, don't want to.

Thom Yorke writes a song about the temptarion of adultery, and unrequites desire...I can relate. Its normal human stuff, not made-up morbid nonsense that no one had ever experienced. I think LOTR is silly shit too.

You said it all when you said that dude is a WOW nerd. Now i get it. Nerd on Garth.

well that's just it, man. it hits different parts of the brain. death metal goes after that primal part of the brain and frankly that's what i love about it. i throw that shit on and it stops the bats from flapping around in my skull, just lets me headbang and go bananas. hell i love even the ULTRA retarded metal (i'm not lying there's a band called "vulvectomy" with an album called "post abortion slut fuck" and i LOVE THAT SHIT).

to me, limiting your music to "down to earth" subject matter is dull. you're surrounded by that all the time. let me listen to outrageous things, listen to music that's got all the amps up to 11. when i go to a concert i want to come up with a bloody nose and a shitload of bruises, i don't want to sit down and listen to a guy whining about unrequited love or how his parents divorced.

now don't get me wrong. i loves me some of the softer music. i won't even bullshit you, i have a load of broadway soundtracks on my spotify list (1996 london Jesus Christ Superstar, bitches). i'm just saying metal is far from rebellious tween music.

like YR said, tool sells a lot of records because they're dark without being TOO dark or difficult to get into. extreme metal takes a certain kind of ear to enjoy, like jazz fusion or old baroque music. it's not for everyone. just don't be a dick and start making all these sweeping generalizations about it and who likes it.

jdooly

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2013, 06:27:35 PM »
Of all time....I'd vote Cannibal Corpse.  Anyone mention Immortal?? although not really "death" per se.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »
i missed seeing immortal last year. :( they only come to the states like once in a blue never, so that's an opportunity lost.

the MDF lineup this year is facking crazy. death bands, black metal, grind, crust, doom, the works.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2013, 07:09:21 PM »
Immortal would be black metal, though after At The Heart of Winter (a true masterpiece) they incorporated some thrash/death elements.
Seen them live thrice.

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2013, 07:18:25 PM »
no one seems to have mentioned Carcass - very influential - both for melodic death metal and gore related DM bands

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »
Seen Carcass live, House of Blues in L.A. Most influential band in grindcore IMO. Their first couple releases were non stop brutality and killer. "Heartwork" and after were pretty shitty  :-[

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »
more than napalm death? i dunno about that.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2013, 03:25:25 PM »
This

I like Tool are they considered Death Metal? I don't!

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »
I like Tool are they considered Death Metal? I don't!

They are prog rock. I'd lke them more if they didn't go off on weird atmospheric tangents for 5 minutes in the middle of a kick ass tune. I fast forward through that crap.

Louis Cipher

• Getbig II
  • Aue Caesar, Morituri Te Salutant!
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »
Autopsy, Death, Behemoth.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2013, 04:53:25 PM »
What would you call Pantera? Not that it matters just curious!

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »

Straight up heavy metal.

jdooly

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2013, 07:49:35 PM »
Pantera is the metal band that absolutely owned the 90's.  Love em!

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2013, 07:19:24 AM »
Straight up heavy metal.
So would I, everything in music has to be pigeon holed,labeled! RIP Dimebag!

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2013, 07:39:02 AM »

Pantera was labelled Power Groove when Cowboys From Hell released.  Not sure what its called now.

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2013, 06:24:57 PM »
Others mentioned Maryland Deathfest, it's in 2 weeks and I'll buy any getbiggers a beer :-)

Some classic over looked death/grind classics:
CENOTAPH: "Puked Genital Purulency" (anyone know more brutal album?!?)
DISGORGE (Mex): "Chronic Corpa Infest" (a milestone)
MESRINE: "Goin to the Morgue" (insane, sickest record u ever heard)
CHRIST DENIED: "Drink the Blood"
DERANGED: "High on Blood" (speed/death masterpiece)
SKINLESS: "Progression Toward Evil" (fuck their later shit, this rules)
BLOOD RITUAL: "At the Mountains of Madness" (heavy Satanic metal)

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2013, 02:21:33 PM »
Pantera was labelled Power Groove when Cowboys From Hell released.  Not sure what its called now.

Hell Yeah reminds me a lot of Pantera  ;)

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2013, 02:24:56 PM »
The Golden God award or fake Weider's Sandow trophy ?, which 1 would you choose  :o :o :o

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2013, 07:43:54 PM »
Hell Yeah reminds me a lot of Pantera  ;)
Thats because Vinnie Paul Dimebags brother is the drummer! I'm Sure he influenced the sound!