Author Topic: NFL - Washington Redskins - time to change the name  (Read 48725 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Congress calls for Redskins change
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »
Taking it to a new level of absurd.   ::)

Political cartoon compares Redskins logo to swastika, confederate flag

Posted: Oct 18, 2013 1:46 AM
Updated: Oct 18, 2013 6:38 AM

WASHINGTON - The Redskins name debate just isn't going away.

A new political cartoon in the New York Daily News is raising eyebrows by comparing the Skins logo to a swastika and the confederate flag.

Next to it is written the caption "Archaic Symbols of Pride and Heritage."

FOX 5 reached out to a number of businesses that advertise at Fed-Ex Field, the home stadium of the Redskins, to see if the name bothered them.

They either had no comment on the issue but offered support for the team and the partnership - or didn't call us back altogether.

In a related story, The Richmond Free Press is dropping the Redskins nickname for the Washington NFL team from its pages, calling it racist.

In an editorial Thursday, the weekly primarily aimed at the city's African-American community called the name insulting to Native Americans and divisive.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23726152/political-cartoon-compares-redskins-logo-to-swastika-confederate-flag#ixzz2i7w2UxV2
Follow us: @myfoxdc on Twitter | myfoxdc on Facebook

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2013, 04:58:35 PM »
Hail to the Redskins!
Pat Buchanan reminisces about boyhood in D.C. singing team's 'racist' fight song

After Sunday mass at Holy Trinity, the parents left their four boys in Georgetown to drive to Griffith Stadium to join 27,000 fans to watch “Slingin’ Sammy” Baugh take on the Philadelphia Eagles.

Already a legend, Baugh was the greatest football player of his era. Record-setting passer, runner, punter, place kicker, defensive back. Yet, not until the fourth quarter did Sammy throw for a pair of touchdowns to finish off the Eagles 20-14.

Something else was happening that Sunday. As the scoreless tie went on, there came a series of public service announcements calling on admirals, generals and officials to leave the stadium and report to their posts. Only when mom and dad left did they learn why.

It was Dec. 7, 1941, and the headline on the extra edition of the tabloid press sold outside Griffith Stadium read in big war type: “Japs Bomb Pearl Harbor!”

Seven years on, after a black Tuesday in the family on my 10th birthday, Nov. 2, 1948, the day Harry Truman waxed Tom Dewey, I was the privileged son taken out to see the Redskins face the same Eagles.

But now the Eagles had the NFL’s leading running back Steve Van Buren and the great All-Pro end Pete Pihos.

Surfing the Web to conform my memories, I came across some things I did not know then. Van Buren, an NFL immortal who would set all-time rushing records, had been orphaned as a boy in Louisiana.

Pihos had a more arresting story. His father had been murdered. An All-American at Indiana, he had his career interrupted. He had been with the 35th Infantry under Gen. George Patton, took part in D-Day, was commissioned a second lieutenant on the battlefield, and won a Bronze Star and a Silver Star for bravery.

And for a tiny fraction of what players make today, these tough men were battling it out in the ’40s in a boys’ game in leather helmets.

Order Pat Buchanan’s brilliant and prescient books at WND’s Superstore.

Washington was another city then, a deeply rooted city, not the cosmopolitan world capital of today where our multicultural elites all seem to come from somewhere else.

Yet, one still recalls from boyhood that when the Redskins would score the fans would all take up the team’s fight song written by Corinne Griffith, wife of owner George Preston Marshall. Redskin bandleader Barnee Breeskin wrote the music in the ’30s. Here is how it went:

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

Yeah, I know. Pure unadulterated racism. We just didn’t know it.

Fortunately, we now have sensitive souls like Ray Halbritter of the Oneida Indian Nation to tutor us in our depravity.

“By changing his team’s name,” Redskin owner Dan Snyder “can create a better historical legacy for himself – one of tolerance and mutual respect,” says Halbritter: “Native Americans do not want their people to be hurt by such painful epithets.”

Hurt? Native Americans are “hurt” by the Redskins’ name?

Years ago, I recall hearing a line I thought a magnificent tribute to the toughness, bravery and perseverance of these peoples the Europeans encountered and fought on American soil for centuries.

“There is no whine in the Indian,” the writer said.

What he meant was that these were people who stood, fought and died, and did not whimper. And it is that character trait so many teams from the Fighting Sioux of North Dakota to the Cleveland Indians of the Cuyahoga seek to capture in their adopted names.

And as I have never heard of anyone choosing a team name to insult it, who is really lacking in tolerance and mutual respect here?

If Halbritter has a problem with the Redskins, he’s got more problems than that in D.C. Among this city’s great monuments is the memorial to Jefferson whose Declaration of Independence speaks of those “merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction, of all ages, sexes and conditions.”

After burning and pillaging Atlanta and Columbia, S.C., Gen. William Tecumseh “Uncle Billy” Sherman talked of a “final solution to the Indian problem” and wrote his friend Gen. Grant: “We must act with vindictive earnestness against the Sioux, even to their extermination, men, women and children.”

Theodore Roosevelt dissented from Gen. Sherman’s oft-stated view that the “only good Indian is a dead Indian.” Said. T. R., “I don’t go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn’t like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth.”

And Teddy was a RINO.

And so what are we going to do here?

Edit Jefferson’s declaration, tear down the Jefferson Memorial, pull down Sherman’s statue, dynamite T.R. off the face of Mount Rushmore?

Or maybe just tell the Oneida crowd we know how excruciatingly painful it must be to have to hear “Hail to the Redskins!” but are confident they have the moxie and the manhood to deal with it.

Meanwhile, let’s get back to the game.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/10/hail-to-the-redskins/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »
NYT Sports Columnist: Redskins Name Change ‘Has To Start With Us In The Media’
By Paul Bremmer | October 28, 2013

Like the steady beat of a drum, the liberal media’s war on the Washington Redskins’ name continues. On Saturday’s CBS This Morning, co-anchor Vanita Nair broached the topic during a discussion with The New York Times sports columnist Bill Rhoden. Nair asked if the Redskins might really change their name, and Rhoden replied with certitude, “Oh, they’re going to change it. And I think it has to start with us in the media.”

So it’s the media’s job to pressure professional sports teams into changing their names? Rhoden repeated his brash call to liberal activist journalism: [See video below the break.]

"There will be legislation; eventually the name is going to be changed, but I think that it has to start with us in the media to just stop using the name."

Wow. Rhoden actually wants legislation to compel the Redskins, a privately-owned venture, to change their name. That would be government coercion on the level of ObamaCare. But as it stands right now, it’s up to owner Daniel Snyder to change the name, and he has said he doesn’t want to change it.

To those who follow the liberal media, it’s not news that they are fans of political correctness. But it’s a little jarring to hear a journalist talk as if it is the media’s job to force political correctness onto one particular organization, possibly under penalty of law. What happened to just reporting on the facts?

Rhoden made it crystal clear how he felt about the Redskins’ name:

"[T]he name has outlived its usefulness. I mean, we all realize it’s not appropriate, some people are offended, and we have to move on. There’s only one person who doesn't realize it, and he owns the team."

He talks as if Snyder is the only one who doesn’t want to change the name. There have been differently-worded polls that have produced conflicting results as to whether Native Americans, or the public at large, want a name change. However, there have not been any polls that show overwhelming opposition to the name ‘Redskins.’ The Dan Snyder-versus-the-world picture that Rhoden paints is not accurate.

This was not the first time Rhoden mixed sports with liberal activism. Last December, he expressed his wish that the NFL would ban its players from owning guns. In April 2011, he called for the NBA to suspend Kobe Bryant for Game 1 of a playoff series after Bryant mouthed the “gay F-bomb” at a referee.

Below is a transcript of the October 26 segment:

VANITA NAIR: I want to talk to you about the other controversy right now involving the Washington Redskins' name. Where is this right now? I mean, is there a possibility they really could be changing this name?

BILL RHODEN, New York Times sports columnist: Oh, they’re going to change it. And I think it has to start with us in the media. Probably for the last 10 years I’ve not used it in a column. And I think that whether it’s here or wherever else, I think once we stop using that name and we recognize it's a racist name, I think that is what's going to resonate. There will be legislation; eventually the name is going to be changed, but I think that it has to start with us in the media to just stop using the name.

NAIR: Well, I think the fact that Oneida Indian officials will meet with NFL officials next week in New York City is a good indication that this is happening.

RHODEN: Oh no, it’s going to happen. This has become sort of the movement for a lot of young people of this generation who have gotten radio campaigns, Internet campaigns, because you know it’s just – the name has outlived its usefulness. I mean, we all realize it’s not appropriate, some people are offended, and we have to move on. There’s only one person who doesn't realize it, and he owns the team.

ANTHONY MASON: Well, but his neighbor has registered a trademark for Washington Bravehearts for use – for entertainment and the nature of football games. Do you think there’s a tie here?

RHODEN: Good luck with that. (Laughter) Let's come up with something else.

MASON: You don't like that one, huh?

RHODEN: Nah, I don't like that one.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/paul-bremmer/2013/10/28/nyt-sports-columnist-redskins-name-change-has-start-us-media#ixzz2j3n55h2w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »
Oneida, NFL meet about 'Redskins'
Updated: October 30, 2013
By Don Van Natta Jr. | ESPN.com

Representatives of the Oneida Indian Nation on Wednesday asked NFL executives to sanction Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder for conduct detrimental to the league for continuing to use a team nickname and mascot that "promote a dictionary-defined racial slur."

In the 90-minute meeting between Oneida Nation representatives and three senior league executives in New York City, the officials also asked for all team owners to meet with Oneida leaders the week of Super Bowl XLVIII. And they asked that Snyder and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who was traveling Wednesday and did not attend the meeting, visit Oneida Nation homelands in upstate New York.

But the Oneida representatives left disappointed, saying after the meeting with senior NFL executives Jeff Pash, Adolpho Birch and Paul Hicks that the league "defended the use of a racist name," Oneida spokesman Joel Barkin said.

"We are very disappointed," Barkin said. "This is the beginning of a process. It's clear that they don't see how this is not a unifying term. They don't have a complete appreciation for the breadth of opposition of Native Americans to this mascot and name."

Wednesday's meeting occurred one day after Goodell and Snyder met about the same issue. According to The Washington Post, Snyder repeated to Goodell that he had no plans to change the team's nickname.

"We met at the request of Ray Halbritter of the Oneida Nation. We listened and respectfully discussed the views of Mr. Halbritter, Oneida Nation Wolf Clan Representative Keller George and their colleagues, as well as the sharply differing views of many other Native Americans and fans in general," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. "The meeting was part of an ongoing dialogue to facilitate listening and learning, consistent with the commissioner's comments earlier this year."

It is rare for the NFL to discuss such issues with tribal leaders directly. In 1992, NFL representatives met with tribal leaders about the appropriateness of the Redskins and Chiefs nicknames, but then-commissioner Paul Tagliabue said the league had no intention of pressuring the teams to change their names.

In a two-page letter written to Goodell and turned over to league executives Wednesday, Halbritter asked executives to amend the league's bylaws with a rule that would prohibit the NFL from naming teams with "dictionary-defined racial slurs," a classification that Oneida leaders say includes Redskins.

Halbritter also asked Goodell to open an inquiry of Snyder under section 8.13 of league bylaws, which gives the commissioner the power to initiate disciplinary action against any owner who is "guilty of conduct detrimental to the welfare of the league or professional football."

"As Commissioner," Halbritter wrote to Goodell, "you have exercised your authority to act pursuant to this provision under circumstances that are far less egregious than the use of a racial epithet as a team's name, including imposition of sanctions for salary cap violations, prohibitions of on-field celebrations that do not reflect well on the game and punishing off-field misconduct by team officials."

Despite increased calls by groups and journalists to change the nickname, Snyder has said repeatedly he would "never" change the name. Snyder, who recently hired lawyer and public relations consultant Lanny Davis to help him navigate recent publicity over the issue, could not be reached for comment Wednesday. Davis also did not return requests for comment.

During the meeting, Oneida representatives presented league executives with a copy of an Oneida-commissioned, 30-page study that examined whether a "scientific rationale" existed for the stance that the Redskins' team mascot harms Native Americans. The conclusion is that it does. According to the study:

• The Redskins contribute to "prejudice and discrimination" against Native Americans by using the team name and mascot, which would be considered harassment or bullying in a workplace or if used interpersonally.

• Tests have shown that the presence of Native American mascots results directly in lower self-esteem and lower mood within this population, as well as increased negative associations of Native Americans among non-Native American groups. Importantly, these effects occur regardless of whether the Native American mascot is considered "offensive."

• Racial slurs, racial harassment and racial bullying have been associated with poor mental health among Native American children, adolescents and adults, according to study author Michael A. Friedman, a clinical psychologist specializing in how social environment can influence mental and physical health.

"Native Americans are the only group in the United States subjected to having a racial slur as the mascot of a prominent professional sports team," Friedman wrote in his study. "The Washington football team, whether it intends to do so or not, is contributing to prejudice and discrimination against Native Americans by persisting in using the 'R-word.' With the help of the National Football League's $9 billion a year global marketing machine, this behavior not only repeatedly exposes Native Americans to a harmful stereotype, but also implicitly condones the use of this term by non-Native Americans, which if performed on an interpersonal level would possibly constitute harassment or bullying."

"People ask, 'Why now?' but Native Americans have protested against this nickname for 40 years," Friedman said in an interview. "There are 10 different studies showing the direct causal effects on Native Americans and how it creates a racially hostile environment."

Friedman said that in the past 25 years, 28 U.S. high schools have dropped Redskins as a nickname.

This month, Snyder, who has owned the team since May 1999, wrote an open letter to Washington fans saying that the nickname was a cherished part of the team's heritage and would never be changed. "After 81 years," Snyder wrote, "the team name 'Redskins' continues to hold the memories and meaning of where we came from, who we are, and who we want to be in the years to come."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9903563/oneida-nation-meets-nfl-leadership-seek-washington-redskins-name-mascot-change

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »
The Washington Redskins and Liberal Fascism
BY: Sonny Bunch // November 4, 2013

I’ve been re-reading Jonah Goldberg’s Liberal Fascism for a longer term project, and I was struck by the following passage:

Orwell’s was a daddy-dystopia, where the state is abusive and bullying, maintaining its authority through a permanent climate of war and the manufacture of convenient enemies. Huxley’s is a maternal misery, where man is smothered with care, not cruelty. But for all our talk these days about manliness, individualism, and even the ‘nanny state,’ we still don’t have the vocabulary to fight off nice totalitarianism, liberal fascism.

With that distinction in mind, let us revisit It Takes a Village. On page after page, Clinton extols the idea that just about everything is a health issue. Divorce should be treated like a “public health issue” because it creates stress in children. The very basics of parenting are health issues because “how infants are held, touched, fed, spoken to, and gazed at” determines whether our brains can be “hijacked” by our emotions, potentially making us murderously violent.

This jumped out at me because, just last week, the group of Indians trying to force the Washington Redskins to change their name—by law, if that’s what it takes—has decided to couch their argument in exactly this sort of language:

During their meeting, [Oneida Nation representative Ray] Halbritter cited that Native Americans have the lowest life expectancy, the lowest quality of living, and one of the highest rates of teen suicides in the nation. He said that the team’s name, which is a dictionary defined racial slur, has destructive effects on his people and Native American people everywhere, and introduced a psychiatrist, Dr. Michael Friedman, who conducted a report on the psychological effects of the Washington football team’s name on Native American people.

Can we first note how absurd it is for Halbritter and co to blame the endemic problems of the Native American community on something as trivial as a football team name? A football team name that, as Rick Reilly has noted, is proudly embraced by a number of Native Americans and Native American institutions? It’s Dan Snyder’s fault that Native Americans are psychological train wrecks? That their communities have been ravaged by any number of social pathologies? Let’s leave aside the fact that the buck-passing here is extraordinary: “Our neighborhoods are trainwrecks, and it’s all Dan Snyder’s fault!” Are we actually supposed to believe this tripe?

Of course we are. And we are not only supposed to believe it, we are supposed to actively work to help ameliorate this utterly manufactured controversy. And how better to fix it than by using the naked force of the government to bend Dan Snyder to our will? The people have spoken! How dare Snyder stand in the way of progress? Doesn’t he understand the damage that he is doing to the fragile egos of our nation’s most vulnerable citizens? What sort of monster is he?

As Goldberg noted, “We still don’t have the vocabulary to fight off nice totalitarianism, liberal fascism.” And I doubt we’ll develop one in time to help Dan Snyder.

http://freebeacon.com/blog/the-washington-redskins-and-liberal-fascism/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2013, 11:27:48 AM »
You don't say?

Slate Article Discloses Benign Origin of ‘Redskins’
By Paul Bremmer | December 20, 2013

Slate published an enlightening piece on Wednesday in which journalist and author David Skinner revealed the true origin of the term “redskin,” which many liberal journalists have been crusading for NFL owner Dan Snyder to disavow.

According to Skinner, the word originated with Native Americans as a self-descriptive term. He explained:

The English term, in fact, derived from Native American phrases involving the color red in combination with terms for flesh, skin, and man. These phrases were part of a racial vocabulary that Indians often used to designate themselves in opposition to others whom they (like the Europeans) called black, white, and so on.

You don’t have to take Skinner’s word for it. His article was based on the research of Ives Goddard, a Native American language scholar at the Smithsonian Institution who published a study of the origin of the word “redskin” in 2005.

Skinner went on to mention a couple of times in the early 1800s when Indian chiefs used the term “red skins” to refer to their fellow Natives. He said the term soon became commonplace:

In the coming years, redskin became a key element of the English-language rhetoric used by Indians and Americans alike to speak about each other and to each other.

Will MSNBC invite Skinner on one of their programs to counter the network’s war against the Washington Redskins’ name? I doubt it, but they should if they are interested in providing a historical perspective rather than simply serving as a platform for critics of the team.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/paul-bremmer/2013/12/20/slate-article-discloses-benign-origin-redskins#ixzz2obvjHmhy

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2013, 01:21:46 PM »
I don't have a problem being pc, within reason, but Congress needs to shut the heck up and stay out of this. 

Congress calls for Redskins change
May 28, 2013
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Ten members of Congress are urging the Washington Redskins to change their name because it is offensive to many Native Americans.

The representatives said Tuesday that they've sent letters to Redskins owner Dan Snyder, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Redskins sponsor FedEx, and the other 31 NFL franchises.

The letter to Snyder says that "Native Americans throughout the country consider the 'R-word' a racial, derogatory slur akin to the 'N-word' among African Americans or the 'W-word' among Latinos."

Among the group sending the letters are the leaders of the Congressional Native American Caucus, Tom Cole, R-Okla., and Betty McCollum, D-Minn.

The nickname is the subject of a long-running legal challenge from a group seeking to have the team lose its trademark protection.

Snyder has vowed that he will never change the name.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9319267/members-congress-urge-washington-redskins-change-name

some dimwit democrats in congress ask for change

team is privatly owned

answer is nope

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2014, 12:13:01 PM »
 ::)

Redskins name to be discussed at United Nations

The Washington Redskins team name has been a subject of controversy for some time now, and there have been increased efforts to get the name changed over the past year. As it stands now, Washington owner Daniel Snyder isn't going to budge when it comes to changing the name, and the NFL isn't forcing him to do anything he doesn't want to do. While there seems to be no movement on the name change, that hasn't stopped groups from trying to get the conversation started again. One of those groups are the Oneida Indian Nation, who will be meeting with the United Nations to discuss the name.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/411011-redskins-name-to-be-discussed-at-united-nations

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2014, 05:57:29 PM »

Redskins name to be discussed at United Nations

The Washington Redskins team name has been a subject of controversy for some time now, and there have been increased efforts to get the name changed over the past year. As it stands now, Washington owner Daniel Snyder isn't going to budge when it comes to changing the name, and the NFL isn't forcing him to do anything he doesn't want to do. While there seems to be no movement on the name change, that hasn't stopped groups from trying to get the conversation started again. One of those groups are the Oneida Indian Nation, who will be meeting with the United Nations to discuss the name.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/411011-redskins-name-to-be-discussed-at-united-nations

Taking their cause to a corrupt, ineffective, worthless organization...they better have some bribe money.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »
this is officially the 34934856394587th biggest problem facing our country.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »

Taking their cause to a corrupt, ineffective, worthless organization...they better have some bribe money.

Or some casino chips.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »

Lawmakers warn NFL about Redskins
Updated: February 10, 2014
By John Keim | ESPN.com

The fight to change the Redskins' name won't die. And it's become an issue among the nation's lawmakers.

Two members of Congress will send a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday, telling him to publicly announce support for a name change -- and that the NFL can no longer ignore the issue.

The National Football League can no longer ignore this and perpetuate the use of this name as anything but what it is: a racial slur.

-- Lawmakers' letter to Congress
The letter, obtained by multiple media outlets, was written by Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) and Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.). Cantwell is chairman of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, while Cole is a senior member of the appropriations committee -- and a member of the Chickasaw Nation.

"The National Football League can no longer ignore this and perpetuate the use of this name as anything but what it is: a racial slur," the letter stated.

Cantwell told the newspaper the Indian Affairs Committee would "definitely" examine the NFL's tax-exempt status as a means to apply pressure.

"You're getting a tax break for educational purposes, but you're still embracing a name that people see as a slur and encouraging it," Cantwell told The New York Times.

The letter reiterated that stance, telling the NFL it's on the "wrong side of history." That's why, it stated, the NFL should "take a formal position in support of a name change."

The Redskins have received "more than 7,000 letters and emails" in favor of keeping the name, with "almost 200 from people who identified themselves as Native Americans or as family members of Native Americans," the team said in a statement released Monday.

The statement included three letter excerpts from fans of Native American descent, all either supporting the Redskins' name or saying it was not offensive to them.

The Redskins also cited a 2004 survey that said 90 percent of Native Americans were not bothered by the Redskins' name. The lawmakers' letter criticized the team for clinging to "decade-old public opinion polling."

Goodell has declined to take a formal stance on the debate in the past. Before the Super Bowl, he told reporters, "I've been spending the last year talking to many of the leaders in the Native American communities. We are trying to make sure we understand the issues. Let me remind you: This is the name of a football team, a football team that's had that name for 80 years and has presented the name in a way that it has honored Native Americans."

The lawmakers' letter rebutted Goodell's statement, calling the name "an insult to Native Americans."

Redskins owner Dan Snyder has been adamant that he won't change the name. But he has received steady pressure, and protests, over the past year. In May, 10 members of Congress sent letters to Snyder, Goodell, the 31 other owners and Redskins sponsor FedEx, urging the franchise to change the name. Cole was part of that group as well.

That group introduced a bill last March that would "cancel the federal registrations of trademarks using the word redskin in reference to Native Americans."

Redskins spokesman Tony Wyllie said in a statement, "With all the important issues Congress has to deal with such as a war in Afghanistan to deficits to health care, don't they have more important issues to worry about than a football team's name? And given the fact that the name of Oklahoma means 'Red People' in Choctaw, this request is a little ironic."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10430475/senator-threatens-nfl-tax-exempt-status-washington-redskins-name

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2014, 12:19:49 PM »
Yeah.....  Look for this to happen in the next couple of years

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2014, 12:11:53 PM »
Redskins Have a Fiery Response for Lawmakers Who Make Their Team Name a Matter of National Politics
Kyle Becker
On February 11, 2014

When Sen. Maria Cantwell and Rep. Tom Cole, a Democrat and a Republican, respectively, decided to play Political Correctness beat-cops instead of grappling with the pressing issues of the day, they probably didn’t expect this.

The two lawmakers picked on the Washington Redskins NFL football team for having a name that some Americans find offensive. Well, this football team fired back, and it’s a score:

“Senator Cantwell should be aware that there are many challenges facing Native Americans, including an extremely cold winter with high energy bills, high unemployment, life threatening health problems, inadequate education and many other issues more pressing than the name of a football team which has received strong support from Native Americans,” the statement said. “Surely, with all the issues Congress is supposed to work on such as the economy, jobs, war and health care, the Senator must have more important things to do,” the statement said.

Ouch.

Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has already said that he will not cave to the pressure to change the team name so long as he is the owner. Fox News reported that even Roger Goodell has sided with the Redskins, despite his image as a league commissioner who is vulnerable to such pressures:

“Eight out of 10 Americans in the general population would not like us to change the name. So we are listening. We are being respectful to people who disagree. But let’s not forget this is the name of a football team.”

Right. And let’s not forget that there are 3.6 million long-term unemployed, a national debt that is on its way to $20 trillion by the end of this president’s term, and more than enough issues to keep Congress busy – especially the ones that lawmakers are toiling away creating.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/02/114288-washington-redskins-fiery-response-lawmakers-things-besides-harass-football-team/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2014, 11:06:21 AM »
Glad to see they have their priorities in order. 

U.S. senators send letters to Goodell
May 22, 2014
By Darren Rovell | ESPN.com

Letters signed by 50 U.S. senators urging the league to change the Washington Redskins name were sent on Thursday to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The senators draw a parallel between the NBA's no-tolerance policy regarding the racist comments made by Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling and asks the NFL to act similarly.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has been steadfast in his stance that he will not change his team's nickname.

"Today, we urge you and the National Football League to send the same clear message as the NBA did: that racism and bigotry have no place in professional sports," the senators write. "It's time for the NFL to endorse a name change for the Washington, D.C. football team.

"The despicable comments made by Mr. Sterling have opened up a national conversation about race relations. We believe this conversation is an opportunity for the NFL to take action to remove the racial slur from the name of one of its marquee franchises."

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has opposed the name change, and his team has launched its own public relations campaign issuing comments by Native Americans that continue to support the name.

The NFL has stood behind Snyder and issued its own response Thursday to the news of the senators' letter.

"We have not received the letter, but the NFL has long demonstrated a commitment to progressive leadership on issues of diversity and inclusion, both on and off the field," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement. "The intent of the team's name has always been to present a strong, positive and respectful image. The team name is not used by the team or the NFL in any other context, though we respect those that view it differently."

The Oneida Indian Nation, a tribe located in upstate New York that has been pushing for the name change through a national "Change the Mascot" campaign, applauded the senators' formal action while continuing to stay on its message.

"Washington team owner Dan Snyder and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell have claimed that using the R-word epithet somehow honors native peoples, but it is quite the opposite," Oneida Nation CEO Ray Halbritter said in a statement. "The R-word is a dictionary defined racial slur."

Halbritter said that the Redskins name is not a term of honor but "a malicious insult."

Jackie Pata, the executive director of the National Congress of American Indians, also weighed in Thursday.

"The NFL is a global brand," Pata said in a statement released through Oneida. "But it wants to contribute to the positive image of the United States across the world rather than callously promoting discrimination against Native Americans, then it must stop promoting this slur and finally change the name."

One letter to the NFL was signed by 49 senators (only Democrats) and was not signed by Tim Kaine or Mark Warner, the two Democratic senators from Virginia.

Senator Bill Nelson (D-Florida) sent a separate letter to Goodell calling for the Redskins to change their name.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/21/dem-congressman-weve-proved-that-communism-works/

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2014, 11:34:11 AM »
Whores never miss an opportunity.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »
I don't know why anyone rich enough to buy an American pro sports team would want to deal with all the BS they'd have to deal with if they owned such a team in a private league in this PC-obsessed culture.
A

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2014, 05:31:44 AM »
From the article:
One letter to the NFL was signed by 49 senators (only Democrats) and was not signed by Tim Kaine or Mark Warner, the two Democratic senators from Virginia.Senator Bill Nelson (D-Florida) sent a separate letter to Goodell calling for the Redskins to change their name.

The democratic party has nothing better to do? There are no other issues much more important than the name of a football team?

This is why the dumocratic party is a racist party. All they focus on is race. They focus on dividing the country along racial lines. They know that eventually there will be more Hispanics in this nation and that whites will be the minority (I wonder if by that time whites will be protected by affirmative action, but I digress). It's like they see racism in everything and they do it on purpose in order to secure the vote of the gullible minorities. They want to present themselves as being the guardian of all minorities.

They can't run on crapcare, they can't run on anything good that they accomplished since they didn't succeed in doing anything that can be considered as being beneficial to the nation. So what do they do? What do they talk about? Race. If you don't like crapcare you are a racist. If you don't like the president, you are a racist. If you have opposing views, you are a racist.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2014, 09:28:06 AM »
From the article:
One letter to the NFL was signed by 49 senators (only Democrats) and was not signed by Tim Kaine or Mark Warner, the two Democratic senators from Virginia.Senator Bill Nelson (D-Florida) sent a separate letter to Goodell calling for the Redskins to change their name.

The democratic party has nothing better to do? There are no other issues much more important than the name of a football team?

This is why the dumocratic party is a racist party. All they focus on is race. They focus on dividing the country along racial lines. They know that eventually there will be more Hispanics in this nation and that whites will be the minority (I wonder if by that time whites will be protected by affirmative action, but I digress). It's like they see racism in everything and they do it on purpose in order to secure the vote of the gullible minorities. They want to present themselves as being the guardian of all minorities.

They can't run on crapcare, they can't run on anything good that they accomplished since they didn't succeed in doing anything that can be considered as being beneficial to the nation. So what do they do? What do they talk about? Race. If you don't like crapcare you are a racist. If you don't like the president, you are a racist. If you have opposing views, you are a racist.

Are a lot of minorities gullible?  Tell us about your views on that subject, my pc fellow getbigger.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
I am part Native American on both sides, and this whole tree-hugging, hippy do-gooder push to force the owner to change the name because it's "racist" is what is actually offensive to me. These big govt hacks need to mind their own business and stick to more important matters like cutting spending to reduce the $18 trillion debt.

I saw some little Native fag on the Kelley File a couple of nights ago crying about the Redskins name like a little bitch. He really needs to grow a pair and stop letting these race hustlers speak for him and brainwash him.
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
NFL official: Redskins 'not a slur'
Updated: May 30, 2014
ESPN.com news services

An NFL official said Friday that the Washington Redskins' name is not a racial slur, a day after the head of the NFL Players Association said some think it is.

Adolpho Birch, the NFL's senior vice president of labor policy and government affairs, was asked by "Outside The Lines": "Is the team name a slur, yes or no?"

"The team name is not a slur," Birch said in a phone interview.

"The team name is the team name as it has been for 80-plus years," Birch said. "And what we need to do is get beyond sort of understanding this as a point-blank situation and understand it more as a variety of perspectives that all need to be addressed, that all need to be given some weight, so that at the end of it we can come to some understanding that is appropriate and reflects the opinions of all."

He added: "I think that is part of the issue with the question is that it is constantly being sort of put into a point-blank, yes-or-no, yes-or-no kind of context when that's not the reality of the situation that we're dealing with."

Thursday, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio: "It's an important issue. The name Redskins is offensive to some and is a slur, I'm not sure that this issue boils down to what any particular player has to say -- what it boils down to is the united nation and others have raised a legitimate conversation to the NFL about the name of the team that is entirely within their control."

Smith told reporters that his conversations with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on the Redskins name should be private. He did say he has talked with members of the Oneida Indian Nation about their concerns.

Last week, 50 members of the U.S. Senate wrote a letter to Goodell asking that the name be changed. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has repeatedly said he does not intend to change the name.

"I would tell you that the Washington Redskins Football Club, the name of that organization is not and never has been intended to be used as a slur and is currently not one as well," Birch said on OTL.

After the interview, NFL spokesperson Greg Aiello told ESPN: "The team and our office have always said the name is intended to be positive and respectful. Why would you name a sports team otherwise for 80 years? ... As Adolpho said, our position is the same as it's been."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11007769/nfl-official-says-washington-redskins-name-not-slur

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
I hope this gets overturned like the last one.

Patent Office: Redskins 'disparaging'
Updated: June 18, 2014
By Darren Rovell | ESPN.com

In what might be the most significant pressure put on Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder to change his team's name, the United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the team's trademarks on the basis that it is "disparaging to Native Americans."

In its 2-1 ruling issued on Wednesday, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, an independent tribunal within the USPTO, wrote it was charged with determining only whether the mark was offensive to the people it referenced, instead of to the entire population. Five Native Americans, representing four tribes, brought the case against the league.

While the Redskins name and past logos are involved in the decision, the trademarks that were canceled do not include the current Redskins logo.

"Petitioners have found a preponderance of evidence that a substantial amount of Native Americans found the term Redskins to be disparaging when used in connection with professional football," the ruling said. "While this may reveal differing opinions with the community, it does not negate the opinions of those who find it disparaging."

The ruling does not force the NFL or Redskins owner Daniel Snyder to change the name, but trademarks, registered between 1967 and 1990, will no longer be protected under federal law if the NFL and the Redskins lose an appeal to the U.S. District Court.

Bob Raskopf, the trademark attorney for the Redskins, said the team will appeal the ruling and is confident it will successfully overturn Wednesday's ruling and noted that the team's trademark registrations will remain valid while the case is appealed.

"We are confident we will prevail once again, and that the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board's divided ruling will be overturned on appeal. This case is no different than an earlier case, where the Board cancelled the Redskins' trademark registrations, and where a federal district court disagreed and reversed the Board," Raskopf said in a statement.

In 1999, a panel ruled to cancel the trademarks after a 16-year battle with Native American groups. It was eventually overturned on a technicality after the courts decided that the plaintiffs were too old and should have filed their complaint soon after the Redskins registered their nickname in 1967.

"The evidence in the current claim is virtually identical to the evidence a federal judge decided was insufficient more than ten years ago. We expect the same ultimate outcome here," Raskopf said in his statement.

Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Washington) told ESPN.com that she expects Wednesday's ruling to be upheld on appeal.

"This puts a big dent in their business model of trying to gain revenue from a disparaging term of slur," she said. "I find it very unlikely that someone is going to overrule the patent office on this. This is a huge decision by a federal agency."

Cantwell, with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, authored a letter signed by 50 Democratic senators last month that encouraged a name change. She said that if the Redskins and the league refuse to change the name, there are many options available for the Senate, including perhaps ridding the league of its tax exempt status.

Reid also applauded the decision.

"Daniel Snyder may be the last person in the world to realize this, but it's just a matter of time until he is forced to do the right thing and change the name,'' said Reid, who has said previously he will not attend home games until the team changes its name.

The new case was launched in 2006 by a younger group of Native Americans, and was heard by the board in March of last year.

The group argued that the Redskins should lose their federal trademark protection based on a law that prohibits registered names that are disparaging, scandalous, contemptuous or disreputable.

"The U.S. Patent Office has now restated the obvious truth that Native Americans, civil rights leaders, athletes, religious groups, state legislative bodies, Members of Congress and the president have all echoed: taxpayer resources cannot be used to help private companies profit off the promotion of dictionary defined racial slurs," said Oneida Indian Nation Representative Ray Halbritter and Nation Congress of American Indians executive director Jackie Pata in a joint statement.

"If the most basic sense of morality, decency and civility has not yet convinced the Washington team and the NFL to stop using this hateful slur, then hopefully today's patent ruling will, if only because it imperils the ability of the team's billionaire owner to keep profiting off the denigration and dehumanization of Native Americans.

Without protection, any fan can produce and sell Washington Redskins gear without having to pay the league or the team for royalties and wouldn't be in violation of any law for doing so. NFL teams split merchandise royalties 31 ways -- the Dallas Cowboys have their own deal -- so losing the trademark rights could be seen as a major negative by the league's owners.

The Redskins are an integral part of league sales. From April 1, 2012 to March 2013, the league said more jerseys of Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III were sold than any player in a single year in NFL history.

"In a business like professional football there is a huge amount of revenue in merchandising," Christine Farley, a law professor at American University who specializes in trademarks, told ABC News. "If pro football loses the ability to monopolize that market, that may convince them to change their name."

If the Redskins were to lose the rights to their trademarks, the question will be whether state and common laws would allow them to retain their exclusivity of use.

"The law is really unclear on this," said Sonia Katyal, the Joseph M. McLaughlin Professor of Law, who specializes in intellectual property. "We haven't really had something like this where you have a team and so many other interested parties involved, so we're treading new ground."

Suzan Shown Harjo, one of the plaintiffs who testified at last year's hearing, said she was "thrilled and delighted'' with the decision.

Redskins owner Snyder, asked by reporters Wednesday for his reaction to the trademark decision, simply waved to reporters and did not comment.

Redskins wide receiver Santana Moss called the decision "sad."

"It's sad, but like I said before it's something that I can't control so I'm going to leave it alone," Moss told reporters. "I hope the best for it because I feel like, as a Redskin, I don't think that we wore this name trying to bring any harm to anybody. A lot of us out here as players didn't know of the history or nothing like that and we've been kind of privileged to get a little bit of insight on some of the history and just with that you still don't know enough."

Griffin said he and his teammates would try to keep their focus on the field.

"Our jobs as players is to focus on what we can on this field day in and day out and let the league take care of that stuff. And when it's the right time then we can voice whatever it is that we know about the situation," he said.

Officials the NFL could not immediately be reached for comment.

Meanwhile, Miami University in Ohio, which also at one time used the Redskins nickname, used Wednesday's ruling as an opportunity to tweet to the NFL team.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11102096/us-patent-office-cancels-washington-redskins-trademark

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2014, 11:08:16 AM »
Oh God......  they did. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2014, 11:09:51 AM »
Obama Admn being thugs and tyrants again

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »
Ah, abuse of power under Bush: BAD
Abuse of power by a federal agency under pressure from the democratic party: GOOD

They can't force a citizen to think like them and do what they want him to do. So what do they do? Decrease his revenue. Penalize him financially. Similar to crapcare.