Author Topic: Why BJJ isn't what you think  (Read 18281 times)

The Hunter

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Why BJJ isn't what you think
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »
Everyone brags about ground game. They say 90% of fights go to the ground, thus you must learn BJJ. I'm happy to be part the remaining 10% that punches or kicks an assailants head off his shoulders and ends it there. That's Karate, or traditional TKD. I've got news: you go to the ground in a bar, in prison, in warfare, in the streets, you're DEAD F'N MEAT. I could see adding some Judo into the mix, but you must understand: Street fights are not UFC. You will be f'd up by an assailants partners if you go to the ground. The Gracies lined up weak Karate guys to sell BJJ via Royce and the UFC.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
Re: Why BJJ isn't what you think
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:14:55 PM »
you dont want to pull guard in the streetz :P

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:17:20 PM »
Everyone brags about ground game. They say 90% of fights go to the ground, thus you must learn BJJ. I'm happy to be part the remaining 10% that punches or kicks an assailants head off his shoulders and ends it there. That's Karate, or traditional TKD. I've got news: you go to the ground in a bar, in prison, in warfare, in the streets, you're DEAD F'N MEAT. I could see adding some Judo into the mix, but you must understand: Street fights are not UFC. You will be f'd up by an assailants partners if you go to the ground. The Gracies lined up weak Karate guys to sell BJJ via Royce and the UFC.

The Gracies had the advantage during the first UFC's but everyone got wise to their game and these invincible Gracies started losing regularly , and the irony is all they had was the ground game and now they were forced to adapt like everyone else and be better strikers.

I recall Helio talking about none of his sons will ever be beat in MMA , at that point Gracies were losing to other BJJ guys , remember Wallid Ismail?

The Hunter

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »
A 20 year old Mike Tyson would have destroyed any one ot the Gracies. They lined up tomato cans to push UFC and Renzo's schools.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:21:14 PM »
The Gracies had the advantage during the first UFC's but everyone got wise to their game and these invincible Gracies started losing regularly , and the irony is all they had was the ground game and now they were forced to adapt like everyone else and be better strikers.

I recall Helio talking about none of his sons will ever be beat in MMA , at that point Gracies were losing to other BJJ guys , remember Wallid Ismail?
helio himself lost

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 07:33:57 PM »
you go to the ground in a bar, in prison, in warfare, in the streets, you're DEAD F'N MEAT.

Great post Hunter

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 12:08:30 AM »
Karate is a complete waste of time.  Greco Roman wrestling is the best.

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 12:15:01 AM »
Concealed carry is all you need.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 11:10:44 AM »

This is about as close as you'll get to a puncher and a guy on his back.  i'm thinking during the video break someone helped him but who knows?  

yeah, 20 yr old tyson kills the guy on his back, if his buddies aren't around.

i'm assuming "1" can fight on his back, and he is an amateur, who trains. would he go to the ground in a nyc street fight on 135th?

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »

This is about as close as you'll get to a puncher and a guy on his back.  i'm thinking during the video break someone helped him but who knows?  

i'm assuming "1" can fight on his back, and he is an amateur, who trains. would he go to the ground in a nyc street fight on 135th?

It's actually funny you should say just that, as I once had a street fight right on 135th street and Broadway across the street from "3333" the largest project complex on the corner of 135th. For those that live in the area, it was right in front of that store called "El Mundo", next to the 1-train underpass.

What people have to understand is that Brazilian JiuJitsu is fantastic because if the fight goes to the ground and you have solid skillset, you will likely end up choking the opponent or breaking an arm, leg or ankle.

Now, not every fight goes to the ground. Some guys have solid takedown defense and that's why it is important to have a well-rounded approach to fighting. Before I ever did JiuJitsu, I was boxing (non-pro) for over 20 years. If you combine the two (Boxing + JiuJitsu) you will bring a package that can be devastating to any fight.

In my opinion, someone that has talent with his hands (say a golden glove), paired with solid Muay Thai skills and Purple-Black belt in Brazilian JiuJitsu is practically a nightmare to fight against.

"1"

ukjeff

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »

If the guy on his back had been on his own like the guy on top then he would have been stomped unconscious by the friends of the guy on top.

Its a stupid thing to go to ground in a street fight situation, seldom do other people not get involved.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »
If the guy on his back had been on his own like the guy on top then he would have been stomped unconscious by the friends of the guy on top.

Its a stupid thing to go to ground in a street fight situation, seldom do other people not get involved.

Rule #1: If you are alone and a group of 2-3 guys approach to fight you and are not backing down, get the fuck out of there. Even if you are able to neutralize one of them, there will still be two more that will outnumber your limbs. That shit about one guy beating the crap out of 3 or more opponents works great in the movies. Unless you're a ridiculously talented heavyweight with deadly hands that have one-punch knockout power (i.e. Tyson in his prime), I would NOT take a chance. Even then, I would still advise against it.

That said, if it's just two guys fighting (with no outside influence or friends), I would happily take it to the ground and go for a choke. I would much rather roll on the ground and work on getting his arms, legs, ankles, shoulder or neck in trouble, than I would standing up and taking a chance at possibly getting bruised up or stitches.

It all depends on the situation..

"1"

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 11:45:34 AM »
Rule #1: If you are alone and a group of 2-3 guys approach to fight you and are not backing down, get the fuck out of there. Even if you are able to neutralize one of them, there will still be two more that will outnumber your limbs. That shit about one guy beating the crap out of 3 or more opponents works great in the movies. Unless you're a ridiculously talented heavyweight with deadly hands that have one-punch knockout power (i.e. Tyson in his prime), I would NOT take a chance. Even then, I would still advise against it.

"1"

That's funny, given Mike Tyson beat the crap out of 3 guys in a hotel lobby years ago.  There's your talent.  

I visited 135th many moons ago, but not to buy crack.  ;D

I figured you'd have the best answer for a REAL street slug fest, not Swede fantasizing about MMA dominance while hitting a heavy bag in his backyard.  

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »
That's funny, given Mike Tyson beat the crap out of 3 guys in a hotel lobby years ago.  There's your talent.  

I visited 135th many moons ago, but not to buy crack.  ;D

I figured you'd have the best answer for a REAL street slug fest, not Swede fantasizing about MMA dominance while hitting a heavy bag in his backyard.  

I try to be honest.

Regardless of someone's level of skill in any discipline, having to face multiple opponents while alone and unarmed is practically impossible. Even if individually you can beat each of those opponents, you just don't have enough eyes, arms and legs to face that many opponents.

When it comes to street fights, I always say that it's best to talk things out and walk away. If you can't walk, run away. If you can't run away, take your chances but go for devastating strikes (to the balls, eyes etc.) and hope that while neutralizing one or two of your opponents you've managed to make enough room for yourself to run your ass out of there.

There is no shame in accepting when you're clearly outnumbered/outmatched.  A bruised ego is much better than a bruised face.

"1"

ukjeff

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »

I remember watching Enter the Dragon with my dad years ago and during the courtyard fight my dad said, "they only have to take their shoes off and throw them at him and its all over"

I also read Chopper Reid's book about him getting in a bar brawl when he was alone against multiple attackers, he knocked the first one out and then put his fingers in his eye socket and pulled his eye out, dropped it in his beer and drunk it, the rest of the guys backed off.   :-X

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 12:05:22 PM »
I drank with a bloke who for a long time was considered the top man in our area, he was ex army who had no training but was just naturally gifted with his hands.
After a while there was talk of a doorman a big bloke who fought mma and talk was he was new top dog. Well when the two finally met the fight lasted long enough for the "untrained" steetfighters fist to reach the mma guys chin.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 12:05:43 PM »
I also read Chopper Reid's book about him getting in a bar brawl when he was alone against multiple attackers, he knocked the first one out and then put his fingers in his eye socket and pulled his eye out, dropped it in his beer and drunk it, the rest of the guys backed off.   :-X

Holy shit!  :o  :o  :o

"1"

ukjeff

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 12:06:41 PM »
Yep, who wants to be the next guy getting knocked out after that?

His idea was that if the guys thought he was totally nuts they wouldnt want to chance a fight.
It worked  :)

his books are a great read.
Eric Bana did a great job in the movie about him.

luvvsuNOT

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »
It's not so much that one wants to take a person to the ground. It's just that in real life, in a real street fight, when two men clash violently, it more than likely ends up on the ground.

One of the advantages a submission grappler has in a bar fight is being able to gain an advantages position in the clinch. It's pretty hard to get in those round house kicks and precision punches in a bar or street fight. NOtice in a boxing match when a boxer is in trouble he will clinch or the fighters will clinch anyway during the course of closing the distance and trading blows. Of course in a boxing match, which is a sport, the ref will separate you from the clinch.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »
 ;)

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 01:32:11 PM »

That's Charles Krazy Horse Bennett fighting with Wanderleis BJJ Coach Cristiano Marcello :D

Krazy Horse

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »
I remember watching Enter the Dragon with my dad years ago and during the courtyard fight my dad said, "they only have to take their shoes off and throw them at him and its all over"

Who is Chopper Reid?

ukjeff

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 01:43:37 PM »
Who is Chopper Reid?

Eric Bana did a great job in the movie about him.

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »

That said, if it's just two guys fighting (with no outside influence or friends), I would happily take it to the ground and go for a choke. I would much rather roll on the ground and work on getting his arms, legs, ankles, shoulder or neck in trouble, than I would standing up and taking a chance at possibly getting bruised up or stitches.

It all depends on the situation..

"1"

i sparred with a bjj black belt mind you i have no submission knowledge other than

when you have you opponent laying on his back put your head in his chest

first round my fighting instinct didnt allow him to get any take downs

second round i couldnt keep him off and i gassed lol he was putting me in arm bars

and knee bars and they werent hurting because im double jointed but no one but me knew that

i was faking and screaming I WILL NEVER TAP... GRACIES AINT SHIT lol and the small crowd was shocked

at my "pain resistance".

third round began as he came in for the take down i put all my weight behind this punch and

cracked him in the sternum and he dropped like a sack of shit

moral of the story bjj aint shit in a street fight if you get taken to the ground scratch his eyes

grab his adams apple, bite him, grab his balls and squeeze very hard, elbow his face till he stops moving

or better yet do what mark coleman did and ground and pound his ass

if your in a fight 3 or more against 1 target the guy who started the fight take him to the ground and

you bite pieces of his flesh and choke that bitch untill he starts screaming and instead of his mates stomping you they will try to

break the fight up