Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 727094 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #425 on: July 05, 2013, 08:12:25 AM »
Muscle Beach Party ..... Don Rickles as the boybuilding coach.
:)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #426 on: July 05, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »
 ;)
F

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #427 on: July 05, 2013, 09:14:53 AM »
:)????how many do you know?
Good pic. Zane in the nerd glasses.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #428 on: July 05, 2013, 10:53:56 AM »
FUNK, Interesting group photo! What was the occasion?

It’s difficult to see a lot of the faces because the picture is pretty small but a quick look shows Arnold, Frank and Christine Zane, Dickerson., Coe and a couple of others faces whose names I have forgotten.

Might be able to ID more if the occasion was known.

Once again, THANKS for the photos.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #429 on: July 05, 2013, 11:19:15 AM »

It’s difficult to see a lot of the faces because the picture is pretty small but a quick look shows Arnold, Frank and Christine Zane, Dickerson., Coe and a couple of others faces whose names I have forgotten. all those you mentioned plus chet yorton and his wife,art peacock, dick tyler?,irven zabo k and his wife lydia, chas fautz, don peters wife and son, joe nista and sandy,seymour kienig,franco c.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #430 on: July 05, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »

It’s difficult to see a lot of the faces because the picture is pretty small but a quick look shows Arnold, Frank and Christine Zane, Dickerson., Coe and a couple of others faces whose names I have forgotten.

i just contacted one of the people on this shot, will let you know when they tell me.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #431 on: July 05, 2013, 11:38:03 AM »
just found this rare old shot ed yarick reeves first trainer in a comp.
F

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #432 on: July 05, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
Dave Johns died from Valley Fever a few days after he and I judged one of Dan Mackey's Ventura, Ca. shows.

I was invited by Steve to join him and other Goodrich members on a few occassions at Rands Roundup, all you can eat prime rib. We devistated the beef.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #433 on: July 05, 2013, 12:03:38 PM »

MB, Thanks for the Dave Johns info. He was another great individual who passed away way too young.

Do  you recall if Reeves was a big eater? During the days when I spent time with him (very few) he was in the habit of eating relatively small meals and I do recall that he chewed all his food at least 20 times before swallowing,  so meals with Steve could be rather long.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #434 on: July 05, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »

MB, Thanks for the Dave Johns info. He was another great individual who passed away way too young.

Do  you recall if Reeves was a big eater? During the days when I spent time with him (very few) he was in the habit of eating relatively small meals and I do recall that he chewed all his food at least 20 times before swallowing,  so meals with Steve could be rather long.

the person got back to me . pic is from 1969 it was a party after a contest maybe mr america. it was hosted by john balik and don peters. party was held the shrine auditorium in la. pic was taken by artie zeller.the person i contacted is now going to contact chas fautz also in pic for more details.
F

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #435 on: July 06, 2013, 04:59:55 AM »
the person got back to me . pic is from 1969 it was a party after a contest maybe mr america. it was hosted by john balik and don peters. party was held the shrine auditorium in la. pic was taken by artie zeller.the person i contacted is now going to contact chas fautz also in pic for more details.
Awesome inside stuff/pic, funk. Keep it up. We don't always acknowledge the hard work but we really do appreciate it. And you, too, stunt, as usual.  Great thread.  :) 

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #436 on: July 06, 2013, 08:05:29 AM »
I have heard before that Reeves was a nutt about chewing his food. I don't recall if he was any slower than the rest of us. I was just a kid, WAY underage and in awe to be with these men. I loved beer and sitting there and drinking beer and eating a plate of prime rib was all I could take in. My memory bank does tell me that Steve always dominated the conversation.

The Shrine Auditorium show was the first real contest (not just Muscle Beach exhibitions) I saw. Never saw another until I stumbled onto the Masters Mr. America (thats what they called it) at the Muscle Beach platform on July 4th 1980. It was that show that inspired me to compete. It took 6 years but I did win that show then called Mr. Muscle Beach.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #437 on: July 06, 2013, 08:07:12 AM »

Think that Rands Roundup, that Mr MB mentioned, was the same one on Wilshire Blvd  (LA..near downtown) that I was told about. Lot of athletes, lifters & BB'ers went there quite a bit. All you could eat, I believe.

Looking at the Joe Weider exercise picture; seems he might have spent more time on his legs....pretty skinny.

Never heard of Dave Johns (my loss), but very impressive. Some of those vet's should never be forgotten. I thank Funk51, Stunt and the others for reminding how outstanding most of them actually were. And of course Lisa Lyons...yes indeed.
F

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #438 on: July 06, 2013, 08:26:21 AM »
Think that Rands Roundup, that Mr MB mentioned, was the same one on Wilshire Blvd  (LA..near downtown) that I was told about. Lot of athletes, lifters & BB'ers went there quite a bit. All you could eat, I believe.

Looking at the Joe Weider exercise picture; seems he might have spent more time on his legs....pretty skinny.

Never heard of Dave Johns (my loss), but very impressive. Some of those vet's should never be forgotten. I thank Funk51, Stunt and the others for reminding how outstanding most of them actually were. And of course Lisa Lyons...yes indeed.
I think funk has a pic of Ole Joe on stage  - sans with pants..

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #439 on: July 06, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
Trying to catch up here!

FUNK, that is the one and only clear/recognizable photo of Yarkick I've ever seen.

Have seen a couple of others doing some gymnastic stuff but never a close up shot like that.

And Lalanne looks like a kid in that photo.

Have no idea who the other guy is though but I'm 90% sure that that photo was taken in the Oakland, Cal area.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #440 on: July 06, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »
BACK TO WOMEN’S BODYBUILDING ……

Just a short reminder to myself to post some information about the ladies who were the female pioneers in the world of bodybuilding.

I’ll list those whom I’ve met or have known or worked with initially and then as we proceed I’ll add some info regarding each of them separately.

Lisa Lyon ….  Briefly mentioned above. Lots of info on the net.
Cory Everson (no longer Everson) …. Good friend and great lady.
Rachel McLish ….
Lenda Murray …. Still very beautiful today.
Bev Francis ....

There are more but in my mind they are the true pioneers of Women’s Bodybuilding.

GOOGLE “BILL DOBBINS Photography” for some great photos of the ladies since way back when.

“WHEN” = When the ladies looked like ladies, but even better.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #441 on: July 06, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »
Three Pioneers ...... but not all of them.

More to follow.

Ladie's bodybuilding started off with good intentions .......

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #442 on: July 06, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »
Three Pioneers ...... but not all of them.

More to follow.

Ladie's bodybuilding started off with good intentions .......
last pic is lenda murray also a ms o. carla dunlap was the only one of these women i actually saw in person. when she was just a young up and comer from jersey i think saw her in allentown actually competeing.carla on front iof flex.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #443 on: July 06, 2013, 01:00:33 PM »
I think funk has a pic of Ole Joe on stage  - sans with pants..
weider in mr u won by reg park. he competed at the insistance of the same mr park. w pants actually was a late call out and weider hurried to stage.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #444 on: July 06, 2013, 01:01:54 PM »
 ;D   joe w in trunks
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #445 on: July 06, 2013, 03:43:06 PM »
 ;) mr forearms bob birdsong. saw this guy in person best forearms i ever saw up to this point, most say phil heath's the man now?????
F

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #446 on: July 06, 2013, 07:22:37 PM »
Rands was an allyou can eat joint. A fav hangout of Bodybuilders in 50s/60s.

http://www.cardcow.com/303602/typical-round-up-chuck-wagon-rands-hollywood-california/

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #447 on: July 07, 2013, 12:14:45 AM »
bodybuilding was just so cool during the golden time

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #448 on: July 07, 2013, 03:53:27 AM »
bodybuilding was just so cool during the golden time

Yes, there weren't pregnant bodybuilders back then ;D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #449 on: July 07, 2013, 06:24:29 AM »
Rands was an allyou can eat joint. A fav hangout of Bodybuilders in 50s/60s.

http://www.cardcow.com/303602/typical-round-up-chuck-wagon-rands-hollywood-california/
amazing that it's still in  business.
F