Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 727356 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #500 on: July 10, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »
i keep saying it each few pages,,i love this thread stunt/funk.the builds are really awesome...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #501 on: July 10, 2013, 08:27:38 PM »
All these old photos here sure show how much different bodybuilding and competitive bodybuilding was back then.

I don't want to say that the bodybuilders of today are any better or any worse but ....... they sure were different.

Is it possible that this new Men's Physique Division will take the game of muscular competition back to the way it used to be???

I think that there was a lot of thought in that regards when NPC Physique Competitions was initiated.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #502 on: July 10, 2013, 08:28:41 PM »
Thanks again, NJ.

Here'S another competitor who was damn impressive a few years back...

JOHN BROWN ..... From where- I don't know.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #503 on: July 10, 2013, 08:30:20 PM »
Thanks again, NJ.

just giving your props here,,i read it everyday,,

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #504 on: July 11, 2013, 06:41:09 AM »
stunt i was watching the burt reynolds movie " hooper" the other day and noticed dick tyler and bob tessier were in it. surprised that rewatching it all these years later i'm more aware  of these guys esp tyler  thanks to this thread.tyler was always an intersting writer of that early period. a collection of his early gossip column can be found in the book west coast bodybuilding.
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #505 on: July 11, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
FUNK, I never met Mr Tyler, nor can I recall ever reading any of his articles. Strange??!

I forgot to mention another great bodybuilder in his day who resided outside of the West Coast of California. (ATLANTA, GEORGIA.)

His name was/is Dave Rogers and he was often considdered to be one of the principal contenders in the A/ or Nationals. but for some reason never won it.... except  for the overall 1980 Mr. USA title.

ThaNKS TO MUSCLE MEMORY FOR THE FOLLOWING INFO AND PHOTO

1974 - Teen Mr America - AAU, Did not place

1976 -Mr East Coast - AAU, Winner
Gold's Classic - AAU, Overall Winner
Gold's Classic - AAU, Tall, 1st

1977 - Mr America - AAU, Tall, 4th
Junior Mr USA - AAU, Tall, 1st
Junior Mr USA - AAU, Overall Winner

1978 - Mr USA - AAU, Tall, 2nd

1979 - Mr America - AAU, Tall, 2nd

1980 - Mr America - AAU, HeavyWeight, 12th
Mr USA - AAU, Overall Winner
Mr USA - AAU, HeavyWeight, 1st

1982 - Nationals - NPC, HeavyWeight, 10th

1985 - Georgia Championships - NPC, Overall Winner

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #506 on: July 11, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
FUNK, I never meet Mr Tyler, nor can I recall ever reading any of his articles. Strange??!

I forgot to mention another great bodybuilder in his day who resided outside of the West Coast of California.

His name was/is Dave Rogers and he was often considdered to be the principal contenders in the A/ or Nationals. but for some reason never won it.

ThaNKS TO MUSCLE MEMORY FOR THE FOLLOWING INFO AND PHOTO

Teen Mr America - AAU, Did not place

Mr East Coast - AAU, Winner
Gold's Classic - AAU, Overall Winner
Gold's Classic - AAU, Tall, 1st

Mr America - AAU, Tall, 4th
Junior Mr USA - AAU, Tall, 1st
Junior Mr USA - AAU, Overall Winner

Mr USA - AAU, Tall, 2nd

Mr America - AAU, Tall, 2nd

Mr America - AAU, HeavyWeight, 12th
Mr USA - AAU, Overall Winner
Mr USA - AAU, HeavyWeight, 1st

Nationals - NPC, HeavyWeight, 10th

Georgia Championships - NPC, Overall Winner
i remember reading and seeing dave rogers in the mags. here's a guy from the early period from the movies. have you ever heard of cal bolder???? he was supposedly discovered by a hollywood producer while he was being  given a ticket by motorcycle cop cal bolder. will check for his real name.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #507 on: July 11, 2013, 11:28:37 AM »
i remember reading and seeing dave rogers in the mags. here's a guy from the early period from the movies. have you ever heard of cal bolder???? he was supposedly discovered by a hollywood producer while he was being  given a ticket by motorcycle cop cal bolder. will check for his real name.
earl craver was his real name.
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #508 on: July 11, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »
EARL C. Craver... CAL BOUDER .... Possibly renamed by the same agent who gave Roy Harold Scherer, Jr. his new Hollywood name.

Mostly TV work .... westerns

While working as a California Highway Patrolman, Earl C. Craver was "discovered" by an agent who was impressed by Craver's 6' 4" height, his 260 pound physique, his 52" chest and his 32" waist. The agent changed the patrolman's name to "Cal Bolder".

Born in 1931, Cal retired at the end of the 1960s and moved to the state of Washington. Published the novel Last Reunion under his real name, E. C. Craver. Has recently written another novel that has yet to be published.
Passed away 2005

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #509 on: July 11, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »
Speaking of old movies ..... I can recall in the late 1930's that some Hollywood agency was looking for a teenage with a good build to play one of the lead roles in a movie called I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN and during one of the castting calls one of the girls showed up to offer support for her boyfriend and was asked to do a screen teat for an upcoming Elvis movie.

She got a contract to be in the Elvis movie and he got nothing, but they did manage to find someone to play the Teenage Frankenstein who went on to play in some top rated TV shows.

Here's his photo .....

Trivia question .....Can anyone name him without doing an IMDB or Google search?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #510 on: July 11, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »
A few pages back we were mentioning Don Howorth and the size off his delts ......

Here's a decent photo showing that his shoulders were among the largest back then.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #511 on: July 11, 2013, 07:22:11 PM »
:)

Joe Means of that group is retired from law enforcement and he competes in Triathlons. He rides his bike crazy distances everyday. He told me the distances but my memory is fuzzy. I just remember I was shocked by his weekly mileage.

He was at the time the most ripped bodybuilder I ever saw. I think it was the 75 AAU Mr. America where he was so much smaller than the rest of the guys but he won best legs and most muscular. He was second in abs. He really looked skinless in that contest. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #512 on: July 11, 2013, 07:31:46 PM »
Joe Means

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #513 on: July 11, 2013, 07:44:11 PM »
Joe Means
legs in certain cases were neglected or not pushed as 80/2000's,,this guy needed some more sweep to quad..

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #514 on: July 11, 2013, 08:36:11 PM »
Another early 1950's bodybuilder by the name of ED HOLVOCHIK became a big sword and sandles movie star after his name was changed to ED FURY.

Here's a photo taken on Santa Monica Beach (Muscle Beach) in the early 50's.

The building in the background was some sort of private club in the early 50's and is the location where I believe Joe Gold stored some of his gym equipment prior to opening his first commercial gym.

I was there and used some of the equipment but no one has ever been able to verify if I am correct or not.

I missed the opportunity to ask him before he passed away.

That building is now the SEA CASTLE and is a very expensive high rise apartment building. A very unique residence because of itts direct location right on the Santa Monica Beach.

You can see it in the background of many of the original MUSCLE BEACH photos taken in the 40's and the 50's as the lifting pit was less than 40 yards on the beach to the north.

We used to sit with our backs to the sea-wall you can see in this photo because it prevented the wind from kicking up the sand on windy days.

MR MB ..... I bet you've sat in that exact same spot many times.

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #515 on: July 11, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
Speaking of old movies ..... I can recall in the late 1930's that some Hollywood agency was looking for a teenage with a good build to play one of the lead roles in a movie called I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN and during one of the castting calls one of the girls showed up to offer support for her boyfriend and was asked to do a screen teat for an upcoming Elvis movie.

She got a contract to be in the Elvis movie and he got nothing, but they did manage to find someone to play the Teenage Frankenstein who went on to play in some top rated TV shows.

Here's his photo .....

Trivia question .....Can anyone name him without doing an IMDB or Google search?

That's a really good trivia question.  If my memory is correct, Michael Landon was in I Was A Teenage Werewolf."  But, Frankenstein... I don't know.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #516 on: July 11, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »
Another early 1950's bodybuilder by the name of ED HOLOVOCHIK became a big sword and sandles movie star after his name was changed to ED FURY.

Here's a photo taken on Santa Monica Beach (Muscle Beach) inthe early 50's.

The building in the background was some sort of private club in the early 50's and is the location where I believe Joe Gold stored some of his gym equipment prior to opening his first commercial gym.

I was there and used some of the equipment but no one has ever been able to verify if I am correct or not.

I missed the opportunity to ask him before he passed away.

That building is now the SEA CASTLE and is a very expensive high rise apartment building. A very unique residence because of itts direct location right on the Santa Monica Beach.

You can see it in the background of many of the original MUSCLE BEACH photos taken in the 40's and the 50's at the lifting pit was less than 40 yards on the beach to the north.

We used to sit with our backs to the sea-wall you can see in this photo because it prevented the wind from kicking up the sand on windy days.

MR MB ..... I bet you've sat in that exact same spot many times.

Ed was also a popular "physique" model in his day.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #517 on: July 12, 2013, 09:58:02 AM »
legs in certain cases were neglected or not pushed as 80/2000's,,this guy needed some more sweep to quad..

Not a fair picture of his legs at that contest. The were skinned alive.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #518 on: July 12, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »
REPS. The teen Frankenstein was GARY CONWAY who went on to star in a couple of TV series ..... Land of the Giants, 77 Sunset Strip, etc.

Synopsis .....I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN ... Professor Frankenstein, a university lecturer with an alligator pit under his house, steals body parts of dead athletes from the wreckage of a crashed airplane. He builds a hunky male monster (BOB) with a hideously disfigured face, which goes on a killing spree.

American International Pictures released this film to many drive-in theaters on a double bill with Blood of Dracula with the tag line: "Warning! Can You Take It? Fiendish! Frenzied! Frightening! It Will Haunt You For Days Afterwards!"

I read someplace that this movie was made for $82,000 and made a $2,000,000 profit.

This will eventually be a remake using a current Men's Physique Division winner. Followed with another BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN remake featuring a current National Fitness champion.

Any investors out there?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #519 on: July 12, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »
that movie with conway was a classic the scene where he sees himself in the mirror is classic. much like the bride of frankenstein when she first sees the monster. did you ever have any encounters with any of the tanny clan, vic,vic jr or armand?
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #520 on: July 12, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »
that movie with conway was a classic the scene where he sees himself in the mirror is classic. much like the bride of frankenstein when she first sees the monster. did you ever have any encounters with any of the tanny clan, vic,vic jr or armand?
;)
F

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #521 on: July 12, 2013, 11:31:54 AM »

I worked out a Vic Tanny's in Reseda, CA for awhile in the early 60's. Does this count? I don't remember seeing anyone special, but I probably wouldn't have recognized them anyway.  :-\

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #522 on: July 12, 2013, 11:41:23 AM »
I don't think I ever met VIC but ARMOND used to hang out at Waikiki Beach directly behind the Outrigger Hotel with the professional wrestlers when professional wrestling was not as popular as it would be later and I'd say "Hello" in passing just about every weekend.

To the best of my recollection that group consisted of Curtis “The Bull” Iaukea, Ripper “The King” Collins, the Missing Link, Johnny Barend and Lord Tally-Ho Blears.

I think Don "Hot Pants" Moracco joined them a few years later.

Long ago .... so I'm not sure much of the above is 100% accurate.

I also think that The ROCK's father would join them often.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #523 on: July 12, 2013, 12:28:36 PM »
I don't think I ever met VIC but ARMOND used to hang out at Waikiki Beach directly behind the Outrigger Hotel with the professional wrestlers when professional wrestling was not as popular as it would be later and I'd say "Hello" in passing just about every weekend.

To the best of my recollection that group consisted of Curtis “The Bull” Iaukea, Ripper “The King” Collins, the Missing Link, Johnny Barend and Lord Tally-Ho Blears.

I think Don "Hot Pants" Moracco joined them a few years later.

Long ago .... so I'm not sure much of the above is 100% accurate.

I also think that The ROCK's father would join them often.
i heard of all the wreslers with the exception of collins, actually saw the rock's dad train at fitness america back in allentown pa. ever encounter billy superstar graham aka wayne coleman?
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #524 on: July 12, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »
 :)ed fury aka ed holovik
F