Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 727633 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #675 on: August 01, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #676 on: August 02, 2013, 10:05:56 AM »
^^^^^^^ That's Eddie Giuliani with Joe Gold.  Eddie was Al Pacino's personal trainer. http://www.yovenice.com/2012/07/05/al-pacino-inducts-eddie-giuliani-to-muscle-beach-hall-of-hame/

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #677 on: August 02, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
^^^^^^^ That's Eddie Giuliani with Joe Gold.  Eddie was Al Pacino's personal trainer. http://www.yovenice.com/2012/07/05/al-pacino-inducts-eddie-giuliani-to-muscle-beach-hall-of-hame/
i think pacino was the presenter when they put  eddie g in the muscle beach hall of fame.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #678 on: August 02, 2013, 01:56:04 PM »
the famous heidi
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #679 on: August 03, 2013, 09:58:23 AM »
Why was Heidi famous?  ;)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #680 on: August 03, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
Why was Heidi famous?  ;)
:P see the book pumping iron page 90.... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #681 on: August 04, 2013, 05:44:01 AM »
 :P

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #682 on: August 04, 2013, 05:58:57 AM »
 :)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #683 on: August 04, 2013, 07:19:34 AM »
:P see the book pumping iron page 90.... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
here you go page 90, this is the cropped version of arnold and heidi
F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #684 on: August 04, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #685 on: August 05, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »
POWERLIFTING USA .... MIKE and INJU LAMBERT ... Owner of the world's best powerlifting magazine. It's amazing how Mike was able to publish all those powerlifting records. I believe he recently retired and put the magazine to rest.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #686 on: August 06, 2013, 08:07:52 AM »
POWERLIFTING USA .... MIKE and INJU LAMBERT ... Owner of the world's best powerlifting magazine. It's amazing how Mike was able to publish all those powerlifting records. I believe he recently retired and put the magazine to rest.
that's what i don't understand these current mags have 200-300 or more pages in them , yet they don't cover anything. the old strength and healths and muscular developements used to cover bodybuilding, powerlifting, olympic weighlifting in a fraction of the pages. they profiled people of many walks of life as long as it was fitness related. these new mags keep offering advice on how to train and the  like. i mean a curl was a curl in 1900 just as it was in 2013. no wonder most people lost interest in the mags.
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #687 on: August 07, 2013, 07:59:48 PM »
that's what i don't understand these current mags have 200-300 or more pages in them , yet they don't cover anything. the old strength and healths and muscular developements used to cover bodybuilding, powerlifting, olympic weighlifting in a fraction of the pages. they profiled people of many walks of life as long as it was fitness related. these new mags keep offering advice on how to train and the  like. i mean a curl was a curl in 1900 just as it was in 2013. no wonder most people lost interest in the mags.

Today's magazines are turgid with druggies making faces like their making feces.  The rest of the mag is filled with ads for garbage that doesn't do anything except separate someone from their money.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #688 on: August 08, 2013, 05:05:04 AM »
I have been dismantling my mag collection of approx. 7,000 issues. I keep articles that interest me and discard the remainder of each mag- hundreds of pounds of paper gone.

Any issue dated 1970 or older, I keep, because the content in general interests me.

Some of the issues from two years ago may yield only 4 pages or so that remain in my collection.

The ads don't bother me because they yield income making the other pages possible. What bothers me is the void of real information, particularly of history, and writers whose sincerity does not replace their ignorance of old terms and situations.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #689 on: August 08, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »
I trained from age 12 until 6 months ago at age 72 when arthritis finaly nailed me. I have trained with  Steve Reeves, Bill Pearl, a dozen others and most recently Troy Alves. All champions sharing similar diciplines, good/bad habits, goals and love for Bodybuilding. Each and every man had his own dietary oddity, unique sets/reps/time in gym. Some men smoked like a forest fire, some loved booze, others pot and a lot snorted cocaine. In the mid 50s on it was rare to find a major Bodybuilder who did not secretly use Ciba Labs little blue pill...Dbol. I have watched so called natural men nearly blow out their kidneys taking 3-500+ gms. daily of protein. I watched one 'natural' champion drink a liquid protein drink evey hour in addition to his 3 squares. Had to be 750 grams. I have seen men with several dozen bottles of specific aminos which they took a prescribed time of the day, night. Alarms were set at late sleeping hours for Arginine and or other aminos. Crazy you say? Its something about the champs. Driven, chance taking, experimental. Yes there is that rare DNA exception. Rare.

I myself, a former alcoholic/adict, do not condone drugs of any sort unless they are for life exention or post surgery pain reduction. I do accept and love the wild and crazy champs of yester year and their little foibles/secrets, but less the idiots who waddle their gorilla belly physiques on to todays stage and who use HGH and insulin. I do like the look of most 212s who compete today....Troy Alves and his 29" waist is my fav.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #690 on: August 08, 2013, 11:15:07 AM »
MB, I have to agree with you regarding Alves.... A great bodybuilder and a great person.

MB , can you elaborate on your workout with Reeves?

We are heading off to the High Sierra to take a multi-day hike along the Pacific Crest Trail. The nephews intend to walk the whole route from Canada to Mexico  in small 4 to 5 five day hikes over the next few years.

I think I told you all about the bear incident they encountered a couple of years ago so this time out we are sure to take the bear-proof food canisters that the rangers provide in order to avoid close up meetings.

I have to encourage everyone to take that hike someday and see some spectacular sights that most people never knew existed.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #691 on: August 11, 2013, 03:24:21 PM »
I trained from age 12 until 6 months ago at age 72 when arthritis finaly nailed me. I have trained with  Steve Reeves, Bill Pearl, a dozen others and most recently Troy Alves. All champions sharing similar diciplines, good/bad habits, goals and love for Bodybuilding. Each and every man had his own dietary oddity, unique sets/reps/time in gym. Some men smoked like a forest fire, some loved booze, others pot and a lot snorted cocaine. In the mid 50s on it was rare to find a major Bodybuilder who did not secretly use Ciba Labs little blue pill...Dbol. I have watched so called natural men nearly blow out their kidneys taking 3-500+ gms. daily of protein. I watched one 'natural' champion drink a liquid protein drink evey hour in addition to his 3 squares. Had to be 750 grams. I have seen men with several dozen bottles of specific aminos which they took a prescribed time of the day, night. Alarms were set at late sleeping hours for Arginine and or other aminos. Crazy you say? Its something about the champs. Driven, chance taking, experimental. Yes there is that rare DNA exception. Rare.

I myself, a former alcoholic/adict, do not condone drugs of any sort unless they are for life exention or post surgery pain reduction. I do accept and love the wild and crazy champs of yester year and their little foibles/secrets, but less the idiots who waddle their gorilla belly physiques on to todays stage and who use HGH and insulin. I do like the look of most 212s who compete today....Troy Alves and his 29" waist is my fav.

Man, that's a interesting story in a nutshell about your experiences as a lifter. Thanks for sharing this, and sorry to hear that you were forced to stop lifting.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #692 on: August 11, 2013, 05:55:08 PM »
Thanx DP. It was an amazing run. Met great men, competed in 30+ shows, National Judge, wrote for Iron Man and Bob Kennedy.

Stunt....ran into a big bear on John Muir trail 1959. Attacked the horses and was shot by the Ranger. (he blew the bear up with a stick of dynomite and let the forest critters cart remains away)
We have a 300 pounder in our neighborhood. We carry bear spray on our walks just in case.

Its been 60 years since I trained with Reeves. Honestly don't remember the specifics...just vague chit.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #693 on: August 14, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »
 :P
F

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #694 on: August 16, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »
Picture proves that it pays to have a head smaller than other guys!

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #695 on: August 17, 2013, 09:58:34 AM »
Guess everyone knows that Wayne Coleman later became Pro wrestler "Superstar Billy Graham". He used to come into Central Y.M.C.A. in Honolulu and train. He grew up in Phoenix and in high school threw the shot around 65 and the disk around 200 but couldn't compete for various reasons. Had the first 20 inch arms in wrestling/acting.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #696 on: August 17, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »
 :) iwould have liked to seen when billy superstar graham used to walk into bars with his full grown lion.
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #697 on: August 17, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »
I could be wrong but I seem to recall that he was a bouncer in one of the Miami area nightclubs.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #698 on: August 18, 2013, 05:44:34 AM »

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #699 on: August 18, 2013, 05:49:54 AM »