Author Topic: Anyone Remember The Dreamcast?  (Read 3539 times)

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
Anyone Remember The Dreamcast?
« on: October 12, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
Still have all my games. Wouldn't dream of selling them. Though I really need to get another working Dreamcast. Man, I had some awesome times on that machine!!  ;D

Shenmue 1 & 2
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia 2
Soul Caliber (I was a beast with Misturugi)
NFL 2k1, 2k2 ( The only NFL series I played. I never really liked Madden)
Quake III Arena
Powerstone 2
Tennis 2k2
UFC
Ready 2 Rumble
Crazy Taxi
Soul Reaver

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Re: Anyone Remember The Dreamcast?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 09:10:25 AM »
I still have my Dreamcast.  It was a great system at the time.  Shenmue is one of my all time favorite games.
A

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »
I put some serious hours into Shenmue. That crazy ass fucker you had to fight in the arcade was still a bitch though.  ;D

I've been hearing rumors of a possible 3rd. I would even take a graphic novel if it meant concluding the story. You Suzuki left us on one hell of a cliff hanger.  :-\

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 09:58:34 AM »
I put some serious hours into Shenmue. That crazy ass fucker you had to fight in the arcade was still a bitch though.  ;D

I've been hearing rumors of a possible 3rd. I would even take a graphic novel if it meant concluding the story. You Suzuki left us on one hell of a cliff hanger.  :-\

A third Shenmue has been a rumor for a long time.  From what I read the original game was massively expensive and although it did sell reasonably well, it didn't sell well enough.  The second game is noticeably truncated in comparison to the first.   

Even if they made the game in the old style I would still buy it. I'm not much of a gamer and never have been but I devoted a lot of time to playing Shenmue. What would be cool is if someone bought the IP like Bethesda bought Fallout and make the games.   A Japanese company is unlikely to sell its IP especially to a western company.
A

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »
A third Shenmue has been a rumor for a long time.  From what I read the original game was massively expensive and although it did sell reasonably well, it didn't sell well enough.  The second game is noticeably truncated in comparison to the first.   

Even if they made the game in the old style I would still buy it. I'm not much of a gamer and never have been but I devoted a lot of time to playing Shenmue. What would be cool is if someone bought the IP like Bethesda bought Fallout and make the games.   A Japanese company is unlikely to sell its IP especially to a western company.

True. It's been a many a year that there has been rumors of a third. There is even an online "movement" for Sega to give the rights to the Shenmue franchise back to Yu Suzuki since he left Sega. Sega themselves has stated they have no plans of making another while Yu Suzuki has came out and said he would love to make another.

But a Bethesda backed Shenmue 3 would be amazing! I'm a huge fan of Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind. Even Fallout 3. Which I'm excited for Fallout 4, by the way. I'm thinking it would be a lot like the first Shenmue. Just expanded upon insanely in detail and size.

And yes, Shenmue was expensive back in the day. I forgot what the exact estimates was. I remember reading about it a long time ago in a magazine. GamePro? Not sure which one.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 10:34:48 AM »

True. It's been a many a year that there has been rumors of a third. There is even an online "movement" for Sega to give the rights to the Shenmue franchise back to Yu Suzuki since he left Sega. Sega themselves has stated they have no plans of making another while Yu Suzuki has came out and said he would love to make another.

But a Bethesda backed Shenmue 3 would be amazing! I'm a huge fan of Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind. Even Fallout 3. Which I'm excited for Fallout 4, by the way. I'm thinking it would be a lot like the first Shenmue. Just expanded upon insanely in detail and size.

And yes, Shenmue was expensive back in the day. I forgot what the exact estimates was. I remember reading about it a long time ago in a magazine. GamePro? Not sure which one.

Shenmue cost in the tens of millions of dollars to make, not an unusual sum these days but at the time it was the most expensive game every made.  I enjoyed what Bethesda has done with Fallout.  I prefer Fallout 3 over New Vegas.  I'm waiting to buy a new console until Fallout 4 has a release date.   
A

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 11:00:09 AM »
Shenmue cost in the tens of millions of dollars to make, not an unusual sum these days but at the time it was the most expensive game every made.  I enjoyed what Bethesda has done with Fallout.  I prefer Fallout 3 over New Vegas.  I'm waiting to buy a new console until Fallout 4 has a release date.   

Exactly. That's pretty much chump change these days. With GTA 5 at $700,000,000 and Destiny at $500,000,000.

That's my plan also. Waiting on Fallout 4 before I buy a next gen console. Only game I'm even the slightest bit interested in that's coming out soon is Arkham Knight.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 11:02:16 AM »
I still have my Dreamcast. Perfect working order.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 11:05:31 AM »

Every person I know who purchased a Dreamcast still has it.   Coincidence?  I don't think so. 
A

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 11:10:04 AM »
Every person I know who purchased a Dreamcast still has it.   Coincidence?  I don't think so. 

Great system. Sega had just taken a bath on the Saturn and couldn't sustain a production line long enough to see it really take off.

Had they been able to hold out a little longer and get some more 3rd parties on board to take market share away from Sony at the time, I personally believe the console landscape would look a lot different today.

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »

They don't make'em like they used to.  ;D Though mine did eventually konk out on me. All my fault though. I forgot and accidently left it running while I went out. Came back, and it was still going. Turned it off to let it cool down and later when I turned it back on...................it died.  :'(

I had to go through three 360's before I said fuck it and went with a PS3. My brother went through five.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »
Great system. Sega had just taken a bath on the Saturn and couldn't sustain a production line long enough to see it really take off.

Had they been able to hold out a little longer and get some more 3rd parties on board to take market share away from Sony at the time, I personally believe the console landscape would look a lot different today.

What do you think about the theory that Dreamcast didn't fair as well because it lacked a dvd player? 
A

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 11:19:33 AM »
What do you think about the theory that Dreamcast didn't fair as well because it lacked a dvd player? 

I have often heard that, but remember Nintendo was running on cartridges at the time with the N64 and while not making boat loads, definitely turned a profit.

Now, to be fair, the big N had that first party line-up that no one else had, but Sega had a lot of first party potential as well and for some reason couldn't even be close to competitive.

I think the DVD player aspect is a little overblown to be honest.

Let's look at what we know about gamers, do they care what medium the content is on, or do they just care about the content?

Nintendo was running 256MB cartridges and cleaning up. (They sold at least 60 Million N64s worldwide)

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 11:26:31 AM »
I have often heard that, but remember Nintendo was running on cartridges at the time with the N64 and while not making boat loads, definitely turned a profit.

Now, to be fair, the big N had that first party line-up that no one else had, but Sega had a lot of first party potential as well and for some reason couldn't even be close to competitive.

I think the DVD player aspect is a little overblown to be honest.

Let's look at what we know about gamers, do they care what medium the content is on, or do they just care about the content?

Nintendo was running 256MB cartridges and cleaning up. (They sold at least 60 Million N64s worldwide)

I knew you would provide a good answer.   You make a lot of great points.   
A

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »
Dreamcast was a great system with some of the most kickass games at the time. Just sad to see so many other elements cause it's demise. I feel the lack of third party developers was the finishing blow.

Because the PS2 also came out just a few months after the 9-9-99 release date of the Dreamcast and is known as one of the most profitable consoles ever and they had very heavy third party support. Sure Dreamcast had some amazing games. But PS2 had a shitload of games. Which from history seemed to be why the ps2 won out on the console wars of the time.