Author Topic: question for the coach, any powerlifters etc  (Read 3764 times)

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
Re: question for the coach, any powerlifters etc
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 03:02:42 AM »
no clue dude I have not maxed out in three years.
For my benches I usually do 295 for a couple sets of 10-15 reps. So I think a bench in the high 300's would sound about right. could this be a 400 bench?

squat? aha.  :-X

not telling ;D

If you can do 15 reps with 295 your 1 rep max should already be above 450.

Conker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 03:13:00 AM »
you can not estimate 1rep maxes on formulas because different people possess different muscle fiber types.

Well if you have previously run 10.6 sec 100 metres I would guess your muscle fibre breakdown will be predominantly fast twitch so you would be more suited to low rep explosive work and not so good with high rep endurance stuff. So if you get 15 out at 295, in all likelihood your one rep max will be higher than the various calculators suggest.

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »
Well if you have previously run 10.6 sec 100 metres I would guess your muscle fibre breakdown will be predominantly fast twitch so you would be more suited to low rep explosive work and not so good with high rep endurance stuff. So if you get 15 out at 295, in all likelihood your one rep max will be higher than the various calculators suggest.

good point, nice to see a guy who knows his stuff. however, the central nervous system, just like the muscles becomes weak when untrained.

Is a bodybuilder quick or explosive? no
l

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 11:29:57 PM »
295 x 10 would not equal 400. There are formulas here for estimating 1rm.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-repetition_maximum
im sorry, but if one can do 300 for 10, he will do 400 for 1 "effortless", all calculations aside, this is what happens in reality.

just spotted a guy on the bench press the other day, he did warmup, then 220 for 15,not going full out, then 300 for 10or12, then 400 for 3-4 and 440 for 1-2.

n

Conker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 03:25:56 AM »
good point, nice to see a guy who knows his stuff. however, the central nervous system, just like the muscles becomes weak when untrained.

Is a bodybuilder quick or explosive? no

Well I don't think quick and explosive are opposites. i.e someone quick at 100 metres has explosive power.

I think BBers differ in fibre breakdown. Those with more fast twitch fibres will probably do better in the low rep range, and those with more slow twitch probably better in high rep range. In theory anyway.

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 04:57:08 AM »
x2 calculating 1 rm off a 10-15 rm is an absolute joke

Quite accurate in my experience, at least below 12 reps.

NN

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 05:31:36 AM »
Sometimes yes, sometimes no -

For instance, Leistner could grind out #415 x 23, but his best squat was only about #50lbs higher.

http://www.gridironincny.com/videos/flash/ken/ken.html .

Platz was another, #500 and change for 23, should've put him in the high 800's, yet best squat was #765 -

I've also seen it the other way where low rep animals that were training on doubles and triples for years, simply didn't have the capacity anymore for high reps, and the disparity between the two showed it. Granted the guys on that end were able to correct it somewhat after a few bridging cycles.

I don't put much stock in the one rep calculators anymore, they will work for a decent number of people, but there is to much variance in the highly trained.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »
Sometimes yes, sometimes no -

For instance, Leistner could grind out #415 x 23, but his best squat was only about #50lbs higher.

http://www.gridironincny.com/videos/flash/ken/ken.html .

Platz was another, #500 and change for 23, should've put him in the high 800's, yet best squat was #765 -

I've also seen it the other way where low rep animals that were training on doubles and triples for years, simply didn't have the capacity anymore for high reps, and the disparity between the two showed it. Granted the guys on that end were able to correct it somewhat after a few bridging cycles.

I don't put much stock in the one rep calculators anymore, they will work for a decent number of people, but there is to much variance in the highly trained.

I heard from people who knew him that vid was using fake plates as a shill for their hit website.. which wouldn't surprise me, I " only " got 405 x 18 back at my bloatedest and squatting low sixes raw.. I've sen vids of legit 405 for 20+ and they are all -way- bigger than dr stick insect

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
I heard that too. But I know that the plates could be handled if a person wanted to make a trip, I remember the invitation being issued by Leistner. I also remember the hullabaloo when Ken bought the plates a few years before the video, as they were custom ordered from York in that '68 Olympic color scheme (http://www.chidlovski.net/liftup/images/i_athletes/b345.jpg).

I'm willing to accept it on it's face simply because it would've taken some shenanigans on Leistner's part to get York to go along, Also I believe it because he's always been a proponent of that sort of high, high rep work for the last 30 -40 years, and never really claimed any other outlandish feats for himself. I've always viewed it, as a case of a man and he pet lift.

That being said, I don't fault those that don't believe it simply because it is such an odd feat of lifting.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »
Who gives a damn unless they are going to send me some cash. See all these pro sports guys get all this money but they are a small percentage of this world most people have to work for peanuts to survive.  I dont give a shit about them.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 11:47:59 AM »
Who gives a damn unless they are going to send me some cash. See all these pro sports guys get all this money but they are a small percentage of this world most people have to work for peanuts to survive.  I dont give a shit about them.

I cheer when ACL's get blown out. 

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 12:24:24 PM »

450 lol ::) ;D

I benched 375 today for a single, I dont think it was my max, but it wasn't easy by any means
l

Conker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »
450 lol ::) ;D

I benched 375 today for a single, I dont think it was my max, but it wasn't easy by any means

Yeh but if you have been exclusively benching in the 10-15 rep range your body will need time to adapt, I would be surprised if you went straight from that into the highest 1 rep you are capable of.

I would try working in the 3-5 rep range for a few weeks then have a go at 1 rep max, probably get a better idea where your 1 rep max is.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »
Fuck 1rm calculations, you only know you can lift a weight when you have actually lifted it.

Yes, because strength coaches have it all wrong in college and professional sports as well as powerlifting. I think I'll just skip the testing when my team gets back to the weight room after we get done with playoffs and just tell them "Hey, we're going to skip testing this year and just load the bar with whatever you think you can do".

Nothing like having a 150lb kid jump under a bar with 350lbs and get buried.  ::)

Krank in 3....2....1....to say progressions are stupid :D

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
Yes, because strength coaches have it all wrong in college and professional sports as well as powerlifting. I think I'll just skip the testing when my team gets back to the weight room after we get done with playoffs and just tell them "Hey, we're going to skip testing this year and just load the bar with whatever you think you can do".

Nothing like having a 150lb kid jump under a bar with 350lbs and get buried.  ::)

Any new videos of you coaching guys on squats, benches or whatever?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2013, 04:46:53 PM »
Any new videos of you coaching guys on squats, benches or whatever?

No. Just putting together a series of "how to", rehab and pre-hab videos for our coaching clinic in Jan.

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2013, 06:10:54 PM »
louie simmons
recently held an interview with him, here’s what he had to say...

What makes the Westside system work for you?

What makes the Westside system is science and applying science to training. Physics and the laws of motion and kinetic energy play a great role in lifting weights.

As a strength coach, what is your experience of training athletes?

I’ve trained two Olympic gold medal sprinters, a UFC heavy weight champion; I took three tenths of a second off an indoor sprint champ in the 100 metres- in nine weeks after the high school track coach said he couldn’t run any faster. Running faster is all force production-it’s ninety percent hamstrings as is squatting. It is also essential to know how to build up hamstrings for force production. I’ve trained a guy who can jump on top of a sixty one inch box, the only people I know who who can jump higher than that are downhill skiers.

When you box squat you teach to sit back into the hamstrings and then to relax the hip flexors and hip extensors, why don’t you do a powerlifting squat onto a box like they do in competitions?

When you sit back on a box beyond the point where your shins are perpendicular to your ankles, you will have a platform behind you to sit on; the force of getting up then comes from the heels. This being the case you need to overload the hamstrings. If you sit that far back on a regular squat you will fall on your butt. You have to learn to leg curl yourself off the box. The first eight hundred pound squatter was Pat Casey at the old Westside Barbell club. He was a box squatter before we have the assistance gear we do today. I’ve got eight people who squat over eleven hundred pounds in my gym and they are all box squatters. I have seventeen who squat over a thousand pounds, all box squatters. I also have a female who weighs 165Ib, she squats 745lb and she is a box squatter too.

In days gone by the Bulgarian weight lifters maxed out every day, why didn’t they reach accommodation?

Every workout they did they selected a different exercise. It could be a squat and a pull then it could be a snatch then a jerk. They believed it was better to do a 400lb step up than it was to squat 800lbs. I believe they were selected especially. Not only did they have a physical test, height and weight, they also had a psychological and mental test to pass. When Naim Suleymanoglu was competing, there were other world champion weightlifters that used to train with him, much older. They couldn’t do the training, they had to quit. They couldn’t cope with it emotionally and mentally.

When soccer players and sprinters and boxers reach a certain age they tend to slow down, usually in their thirties or later career. Is there any way to slow that problem down or prevent it?

I believe that if their training was better they would have fewer injuries. I believe it is the injuries that they get that are what slows them down, the scar tissue and so forth. It short circuits the body and that’s why maybe they couldn’t run as fast. Boxers get slow because they get hit. So that could be part of it. And just maybe the routines aren’t changed enough. We’ve had people come here who haven’t made progress in 2 years then they come here and put 300lbs on their total. We’ve brought in people that can’t run any faster, a defensive end for example. In 2 months he ran faster. I quit doing everything he’d done, he never ran one time. The coach said when are you going to have my player run? I said I’m not. He’s run the same times for years, what’s 2 months without running going to do? Running is not going to do it, you need force production. If you’re biomechanically sound the only way to go faster is force production. That’s why I make people do jumping you see. Jumping displays explosive power.

Does that also mean increasing strength in proportion to body weight?

That helps yes. You have to raise absolute strength. But at the same time you have to have a second workout for the development of explosive and speed strength.

If someone doesn’t have bands or chains and they were using the squat to build speed-strength, what percentage would they use?

They would train around 75-85%. In the squat, use doubles. If there’s no accommodating resistance I would go 12 doubles or ten doubles that will keep calculations and volume correct.

So the different methods combined give a better result than one method alone?

Just remember the system combines 3 methods. First is the dynamic method. 3 days later it is the max effort, then also the repetition method comes into play with smaller exercises. The repetition method is for special exercises, triceps, lats, abs, hips, glutes and so forth. But those are the proven methods and that’s the bundle we push.

Suppose a lifter in a lighter weight category wants to keep his weight down, what advantage would he have doing 6-10 reps in a say a triceps extension over maxing out on that exercise?

Your body will wear out more. In a single joint movement it’s not going to work. I’ve had other people ask me that. It won’t work. I want tell you how we train our triceps to get big and strong. I’ve got strong guys here. Nick winters is a 700lb raw bencher here and there’s only 2 other people I think who can do that much raw. We do a heavy set of 8 in an extension, and then we do a light set of 15 in the pushdown. So you do a heavy set of 8, light set of 15, heavy set of 8, light 15. We build endurance into the muscle while were getting stronger and it really works. The average person in this gym does 400-500 leg curls per week with 10 or 20 lb ankle weights and it builds thickness in the ligaments and tendons. That’s where the stretch reflex is. That’s why we do these ultra high reps with very light weight on top of super heavy weights.

Do you structure weekly jump training the same way you structure max effort and dynamic effort, for example using 3 week waves with a different max jump per week?

We don’t do that much. Top athletes do a series of 4 sets of 10, and lesser athletes 4 sets of 8. We don’t do extreme depth jumps. We jump up with resistance. We use a lot of ankle weights, weight vests, and dumbbells. We have a max effort jump once a month. On the other days we use percentages basing them on Prilepin’s chart. I have a guy who can jump from his knees onto a 31inch box, and that comes from raising explosive strength and max effort strength. We do jump every week, just a moderate amount. When you jump higher, you run faster.

l

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2013, 07:20:16 PM »
This is our 6th year or so using a Westside template and its been successful. Because we train athletes we adjust the original template during certain PROGRESSIONS throughout the year.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2013, 07:24:18 PM »
In before "Haha, what does Louie Simmons know, he doesn't even have a degree".

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 05:51:08 AM »

LMAO, yes, like going a PL contest as well and say "yeah I did 375 for 11 reps so you can fill in my final attempt at 531 lb according to www.1rmcalc.org" HAHAHHAHA

"I cleaned 300 for a triple so that must mean it's 90%."  ;D

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
maxed out on incline  today... 365.  Getting better. I need to strengthen my triceps IMO,  the part right underneath the elbow is what is responsible for big benches, not the long head.

going to start adding in JM presses and some various techniques from westside barbell. If someone could dig up some old articles from louie simmons I'd appreciate it.
l

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
l

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2014, 10:33:24 PM »
maxed out on incline  today... 365.  Getting better. I need to strengthen my triceps IMO,  the part right underneath the elbow is what is responsible for big benches, not the long head.

going to start adding in JM presses and some various techniques from westside barbell. If someone could dig up some old articles from louie simmons I'd appreciate it.

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm .

There's an archive of some older Westside stuff.

This layout also might explain some stuff -

http://deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/newdeep/louie2.htm .

More newer stuff -

http://www.westside-barbell.com/index.php/the-westside-barbell-university/articles-by-louie-simmons/articles-published-in-2013 .

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2014, 11:31:48 PM »
Its going to be at above 220. I made a legitimate offer  to  sev and mensa bob its up to them to decide :)    the night and the offer was simple. have to run it on video by the summertime...they can agree to it anytime but once they agree there is no backing out. they can agree to the offer any time...scumbag, don't put words in my fucking mouth I even put my account on the fucking line so you can not call me out on it.

ps who are you loser? where is your picture?

that's right your a  fucking nobody.. probably 180 pounds soaking wet. go ride someone elses jock guy..."monster" ;D
lol you already lied in your first post that you did run 10.2 in may and then changed it to you think you can do that...sorry i dont trust you enough to take that bet.  And i know fpr 100% you cant do10.2

why do you have to take a bet to do that?