Author Topic: Bush 407, Obama 125.  (Read 1876 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Bush 407, Obama 125.
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »
You, a presumably sane, intelligent and reasonable person, should care. Here, let me draw it out for you with crayons:

The mindless idiots at the fringes of the U.S. political spectrum have taken the process over and are the people who are giving us candidates like Obama and they are the base upon which such candidates are elected to office.

There's no fundamental distinction between the idiots on the right and the left. They are all blind, partisan fools - regardless of party.

Sure, Obama sucks. Sure, Obama isn't Bush. By all means, judge Obama and Bush on their own merits. Judge all politicians on their own merits.

But Bush's past actions - or any past President's for that matter - can certainly affect the current and future Presidents. Or do you believe that Carter's actions didn't affect Reagan and that Reagan's actions don't still affect things today?

But nothing I said can be reduced to moral equivalency.

Why is it silly? I agree that Obama has mishandled many things. That's not to say that I don't think that people like Soul Crusher and The Coach aren't being selective in their memory and criticism, or that they aren't blindly partisan fools. I call them as I see them.

And it goes without saying that I'll call it as I see it with you too - you don't get a special pass. If you are acting like a mindless partisan drone, I'll call you out on it.

Thank you for saying a lot of with crayons, with very little substance that actually matters on this topic.  

I'll try and walk you through it.  Focus.  

1.  A thread was made trying to draw a distinction between the number of vacation days taken by Bush versus Obama.  The clear implication is that because Obama has apparently taken fewer vacation days in six years than Bush did in eight, that Obama's vacations aren't that bad.

2.  This is one of numerous attempts to use the "Bush did it" or "Bush was worse" arguments.  That is classic moral equivalency.  And it is weak.    

3.  I pointed out that this is a stupid comparison.  Because it is.  This president's performance has to be judged on how he is doing his job today, not whether he is doing something that Bush did or didn't do.  And if you look at Obama's performance, it sucks.  

4.  You chimed in with your tired "I'm nonpartisan so I can call everyone stupid" schtick.  Yawn.  It's misplaced.  

5.  I don't give a rip what you call me on.  Who the heck are you?  My mother?  

Nothing I've said is partisan.   ::)  What I've said about the president is my opinion, which is shared by a number of people, regardless of party.  But don't let that holier than thou "look at me I'm non-partisan" crap get in the way of the actual facts.  

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 02:23:59 PM »
Thank you for saying a lot of with crayons, with very little substance that actually matters on this topic.

You're welcome. That's what you get when you force me to use crayons.

1.  A thread was made trying to draw a distinction between the number of vacation days taken by Bush versus Obama.  The clear implication is that because Obama has apparently taken fewer vacation days in six years than Bush did in eight, that Obama's vacations aren't that bad.

Even if that was the clear implication of this thread, my comments were on a different tangent: namely, that it's ironic that people will ignore the actual facts to accuse Obama of taking more time off than Bush, simply because they don't like Obama.

I don't like Obama. I don't consider him a particularly effective or particularly good President. In fact, I think that he ranks pretty low. But that is irrelevant. The numbers are what they are: according to this article Bush took 407 days off - or appoximately 14% of his Presidency. Obama has, so far, taken approximately 5% of his Presidency off.

Arguments about how the "goodness" or "badness" of either of them aren't salient to the point I was making.

2.  This is one of numerous attempts to use the "Bush did it" or "Bush was worse" arguments.  That is classic moral equivalency.  And it is weak.

Sure, but why is this an issue for me? I never said either of those things, but I guess if you consider pointing out actual numbers to be a form of moral equivalency, then you're right.

Again, read my point carefully: I merely pointed out that it's silly and self-serving for people to now get all concerned about Presidential vacations when they either dismissed such concerns or outright defended such vacations when their preferred candidate was in power.

3.  I pointed out that this is a stupid comparison.  Because it is.  This president's performance has to be judged on how he is doing his job today, not whether he is doing something that Bush did or didn't do.  And if you look at Obama's performance, it sucks.

Right. The President ought to be judged on his job performance. Not on the letter after his name. Which is what people like Joe, who see the world in black and white, are doing.

4.  You chimed in with your tired "I'm nonpartisan so I can call everyone stupid" schtick.  Yawn.  It's misplaced.

I don't call everyone stupid because I'm nonpartisan. I call those who adopt stupid positions stupid. I call those who espouse positions they can't support stupid. I call those who don't look at facts objectively stupid. I call them stupid because they are stupid.

5.  I don't give a rip what you call me on.  Who the heck are you?  My mother?

I am avxo, a getbigger. And as a getbigger, I outrank your Mother.

Nothing I've said is partisan.   ::)  What I've said about the president is my opinion, which is shared by a number of people, regardless of party.  But don't let that holier than thou "look at me I'm non-partisan" crap get in the way of the actual facts.  

The actual fact is that you missed the point that Agnostic007 was making and you got all butthurt when I pointed that out.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
You're welcome. That's what you get when you force me to use crayons.

Even if that was the clear implication of this thread, my comments were on a different tangent: namely, that it's ironic that people will ignore the actual facts to accuse Obama of taking more time off than Bush, simply because they don't like Obama.

I don't like Obama. I don't consider him a particularly effective or particularly good President. In fact, I think that he ranks pretty low. But that is irrelevant. The numbers are what they are: according to this article Bush took 407 days off - or appoximately 14% of his Presidency. Obama has, so far, taken approximately 5% of his Presidency off.

Arguments about how the "goodness" or "badness" of either of them aren't salient to the point I was making.

Sure, but why is this an issue for me? I never said either of those things, but I guess if you consider pointing out actual numbers to be a form of moral equivalency, then you're right.

Again, read my point carefully: I merely pointed out that it's silly and self-serving for people to now get all concerned about Presidential vacations when they either dismissed such concerns or outright defended such vacations when their preferred candidate was in power.

Right. The President ought to be judged on his job performance. Not on the letter after his name. Which is what people like Joe, who see the world in black and white, are doing.

I don't call everyone stupid because I'm nonpartisan. I call those who adopt stupid positions stupid. I call those who espouse positions they can't support stupid. I call those who don't look at facts objectively stupid. I call them stupid because they are stupid.

I am avxo, a getbigger. And as a getbigger, I outrank your Mother.

The actual fact is that you missed the point that Agnostic007 was making and you got all butthurt when I pointed that out.

I didn't say a word about whether the number of vacations days were the same.  I don't care one iota whether Obama took more days than Bush.  I care even less that some people might be falsely stating that Obama took more vacation days than Bush.  What does any of that have to do with the price of tea in China??  My only point was about the stupidity of the comparison and about Obama's performance. 

Wait.  In response to Agnostic007's post, I said "I disagree," and went on to say that it has nothing to do with the point I was making, and you call that "butthurt"??  lol . . .  Now THAT is pretty stupid.  lol

What the heck are you even arguing with me about anyway if you actually agree with the comments I made about the president?   ???