Author Topic: I no longer believe in "overtraining"  (Read 11791 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: I no longer believe in "overtraining"
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2013, 12:37:21 PM »
well i think it boils down to injuries for me. Lets not Forget your tendons and soft structures in the Joints take a beating too. Muscles recover faster than tendons and ligaments. Bursitis,tendinitis,strains.sprains top the list. Some can Train very often and have a very robust structure. I find a 5 day split letting overlap do the trick best for me.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2013, 01:08:02 PM »
Agreed.

In fact, I  would go as far to say that you don't even need to take fast carbs with your protein immediately after training.

I think this is also an incredibly dumb move.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »
well i think it boils down to injuries for me. Lets not Forget your tendons and soft structures in the Joints take a beating too. Muscles recover faster than tendons and ligaments. Bursitis,tendinitis,strains.sprains top the list. Some can Train very often and have a very robust structure. I find a 5 day split letting overlap do the trick best for me.

Agreed, can't go wrong with a 5 day split. Gear, natty, doesn't matter.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2013, 01:20:55 PM »
Agreed, can't go wrong with a 5 day split. Gear, natty, doesn't matter.
yes  :)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »
i believe in your mom

I don't know why this made me laugh...

That's about how serious this thread is I suppose.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2013, 03:36:25 PM »
primemuscle, comeon, 2 sessions each 30minutes is nothing, pl spend that on the couch watching ads and weather forecast infront of tv, not sure if that increases their life quality.

I hope you aren't quoting me here. I don't remember every suggesting that two 30 minute sessions was adequate training. Normally, I train for an hour (that is an hour lifting not to include changing clothes or gassing with friends at the gym) 6 days a week. Lately, I have been dealing with a lot of pain because of a bum leg, so my workouts have become rather inconsistent.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »
As I ruptured my achilles tendon 4 weeks ago, I have been working out 6x/week with a pure upper-body-only workout. Now, watching my shitty legs actually whither is a humbling experience, but I have learned something interesting about so-called "overtraining" in my upper body. I am working out each muscle group in my upper body 3x/week (I use a push/pull split) and I was worried about overtraining, so I was taking it easy every other workout. For the last few weeks though, I have been going to failure with increasing weights each and every day. My body, far from crying uncle, is actually responding and I am getting stronger/leaner and (hopefully) bigger. Now, I am (for now) a complete natty and have a fairly dialed in diet (175-250g protein/day, low carbs, etc -- not ready YET Gal/NoOne). And have been getting at least 8 hours of sleep a night (it's hard to do anything with a single leg and crutches).

I always believed in overtraining, but it was likely that I was just falling off somewhere else (sleep, nutrition).

Once i get my leg back, I am going to just go bonkers with a 3day push/pill/legs split. Fuck overtraining.

do 20000 reps of bench press at 80% 1RM 7 days a week and get back to me on that "no overtraining" theory.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2013, 04:04:35 PM »
do 20000 reps of bench press at 80% 1RM 7 days a week and get back to me on that "no overtraining" theory.

I sort of assumed we were applying common sense to this equation

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »

Exactly

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2013, 04:28:15 PM »

so, obviously you admit, then, that overtraining exists.  the question now becomes "at what point"?

obviously no one is going to do 20000 reps daily, but "common sense" is perhaps not so common as you may think.  i remember posting on t-nation back in the day, when a well-respected poster there named "professor x" was spouting off the whole "no overtraining" nonsense.  so some guy comes up and says "i disagree, i was doing x workout".  while i forget the exact numbers, "x workout" was something i considered fully reasonable, if high-volume.  it was certainly within the realm of many workouts i'd done and seen other do.  professor x comes back and says exactly what you just did: "obviously this is stupid and no one would do this workout and i was only talking about volume that sane people would attempt when i said there was no overtraining."

::)

I used to do 9 sets to failure of 15 reps squats twice a week... in addition to many other sets for legs all to failure, and running several miles every day at a high bodyweight.  I couldn't handle this.  I kept getting more and more fucked up, but I stuck with it because "there's no such thing as overtraining" and "stop being a pussy" constantly echoed through my head, thanks to wise bodybuilders and their wonderful advices. ::)

And this is all besides the point, anyway.  The one thing that rarely gets brought up in these discussions is the most important of all... WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF "OVERTRAINING"?  I remember reading some epic, ten+ page article on the subject by lyle mcdonald, and nearly all of it was dedicated simply to the definition of overtraining... and this was in a completely different context than weight training.  In fact, the highly detailed definition he was working towards was constructed explicitly in terms of high-volume endurance work, and this is the only type of overtraining definition I've ever seen which has ever been rigorously expounded, hence it's the most commonly referenced... but once again, it has just about NOTHING to do with bodybuilding style exercise.  It's laughable when people say "overtraining exists, but bodybuilders don't work hard enough to experience it"... talk about your apples and oranges!  This  statement is based on a definition of the word "overtraining" that was expressed purely in terms of endurance work... it's not applicable in the slightest!

I would say it's best to use a more general definition of the term when talking about overtraining in a bodybuilding context.  The best definition I can think of is this:  overtraining is too much training.  When is training too much?  When NOT doing it would have been more beneficial than doing it.

So, going by this definition, even one bad rep is "overtraining", because it would have been better not to do it.  And what usually happens, when one complains of being "overtrained"?  Well, at the risk of overreaching, I'd say this:  they started off doing good reps, and then got tired, and pushed too far, and started doing reps that damaged their bodies (strained soft tissues, nervous system, whatever, i'm being vague for a reason) such that they could not recover in a reasonable amount of time.  Perhaps the person repeats this workout the in the next couple days, or weeks, when, say, their muscles feel recovered (ignoring any nagging pains), and further damages their body, creating a deeper "recovery deficit".  Rinse and repeat a few times, and suddenly they go on bodybuilding.com about being "overtrained".

In my opinion, this person has a very good reason for saying so.  But some mindless asshole comes along and shouts "NO SUCH THING" because said mindless asshole has instinctively managed to avoid such pitfalls himself.   Posting sets and reps is pointless; what matters is whether the damage has been done.  There are so many factors affecting this beyond just sets, reps, frequency, that it's laughable to look no further when declaring someone should or should not be "overtrained".

btw, not calling aj a mindless asshole -- he's far from one.  just naive, when it comes to this topic.

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2013, 04:44:01 PM »
When you break down a muscle (working out) it has to have time to rebuild/heal itself. The adaptation to the newfound stress is the unfluence for a muscle to grow. As long as there is stress to the body there must be a result, good or bad. A muscle will be fully healed or damaged as much as it was during the workout. There will be an amount of time where working out again will not be beneficial because the muscle is busy healing already. If you wait for the muscle to be fully healed you won't further damage it, and if you worked out efficiently enough it will be stronger than the last time it was used. Overtraining would be a case where you are damaging the muscle while it's already stressed from the previous workout. It's close to the same thing as a wound opening up. It must have time to heal.

It doesn't matter if you believe in it or not, it's as real as gravity. Cause and effect.

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »
When someone says you can't overtrain, I think back about 30 years when I felt the same way. 

The problem is, we become "addicted" to training, and we adjust our thinking to allow us to go to the gym every day and get our training in.  I trained 6 days a week for years, overtraining all the while, and told myself that I wasn't. 

I just didn't want to miss going to the gym.   I'd rather overtrain than rest.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2013, 05:09:03 PM »
When someone says you can't overtrain, I think back about 30 years when I felt the same way. 

The problem is, we become "addicted" to training, and we adjust our thinking to allow us to go to the gym every day and get our training in.  I trained 6 days a week for years, overtraining all the while, and told myself that I wasn't. 

I just didn't want to miss going to the gym.   I'd rather overtrain than rest.

Yeah but that's where the real muscle building begins in the rest phase

I was like that when I first started to go to the gym , didn't want to stop. I didn't believe in over-training but I learned the hard way , I was always tired , couldn't sleep at night , muscles didn't feel sore after a work out , couldn't get a good pump but I had this laser like focus on not missing a work out and then you come to your senses and take a few days off and when you return you feel great.

Now I'm a lot older it's harder to get to the gym consistently nevermind over train, easy to do when you're young and had no kids and not many responsibilities

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2013, 05:10:04 PM »
If you fall over and injure your skin, your body will start healing the wound with a scab. If you keep picking at the scab the wound will take a lot longer to heal.

Training a body part too frequently is like picking at a scab, the body will be in a constant state of repair and will not adapt properly and there will be minimal gains.

GettingBig

• Getbig II
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2013, 05:39:36 PM »
When you break down a muscle (working out) it has to have time to rebuild/heal itself. The adaptation to the newfound stress is the unfluence for a muscle to grow. As long as there is stress to the body there must be a result, good or bad. A muscle will be fully healed or damaged as much as it was during the workout. There will be an amount of time where working out again will not be beneficial because the muscle is busy healing already. If you wait for the muscle to be fully healed you won't further damage it, and if you worked out efficiently enough it will be stronger than the last time it was used. Overtraining would be a case where you are damaging the muscle while it's already stressed from the previous workout. It's close to the same thing as a wound opening up. It must have time to heal.

It doesn't matter if you believe in it or not, it's as real as gravity. Cause and effect.

this ... :)

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2013, 06:20:03 PM »
so, obviously you admit, then, that overtraining exists.  the question now becomes "at what point"?

obviously no one is going to do 20000 reps daily, but "common sense" is perhaps not so common as you may think.  i remember posting on t-nation back in the day, when a well-respected poster there named "professor x" was spouting off the whole "no overtraining" nonsense.  so some guy comes up and says "i disagree, i was doing x workout".  while i forget the exact numbers, "x workout" was something i considered fully reasonable, if high-volume.  it was certainly within the realm of many workouts i'd done and seen other do.  professor x comes back and says exactly what you just did: "obviously this is stupid and no one would do this workout and i was only talking about volume that sane people would attempt when i said there was no overtraining."

::)

I used to do 9 sets to failure of 15 reps squats twice a week... in addition to many other sets for legs all to failure, and running several miles every day at a high bodyweight.  I couldn't handle this.  I kept getting more and more fucked up, but I stuck with it because "there's no such thing as overtraining" and "stop being a pussy" constantly echoed through my head, thanks to wise bodybuilders and their wonderful advices. ::)

And this is all besides the point, anyway.  The one thing that rarely gets brought up in these discussions is the most important of all... WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF "OVERTRAINING"?  I remember reading some epic, ten+ page article on the subject by lyle mcdonald, and nearly all of it was dedicated simply to the definition of overtraining... and this was in a completely different context than weight training.  In fact, the highly detailed definition he was working towards was constructed explicitly in terms of high-volume endurance work, and this is the only type of overtraining definition I've ever seen which has ever been rigorously expounded, hence it's the most commonly referenced... but once again, it has just about NOTHING to do with bodybuilding style exercise.  It's laughable when people say "overtraining exists, but bodybuilders don't work hard enough to experience it"... talk about your apples and oranges!  This  statement is based on a definition of the word "overtraining" that was expressed purely in terms of endurance work... it's not applicable in the slightest!

I would say it's best to use a more general definition of the term when talking about overtraining in a bodybuilding context.  The best definition I can think of is this:  overtraining is too much training.  When is training too much?  When NOT doing it would have been more beneficial than doing it.

So, going by this definition, even one bad rep is "overtraining", because it would have been better not to do it.  And what usually happens, when one complains of being "overtrained"?  Well, at the risk of overreaching, I'd say this:  they started off doing good reps, and then got tired, and pushed too far, and started doing reps that damaged their bodies (strained soft tissues, nervous system, whatever, i'm being vague for a reason) such that they could not recover in a reasonable amount of time.  Perhaps the person repeats this workout the in the next couple days, or weeks, when, say, their muscles feel recovered (ignoring any nagging pains), and further damages their body, creating a deeper "recovery deficit".  Rinse and repeat a few times, and suddenly they go on bodybuilding.com about being "overtrained".

In my opinion, this person has a very good reason for saying so.  But some mindless asshole comes along and shouts "NO SUCH THING" because said mindless asshole has instinctively managed to avoid such pitfalls himself.   Posting sets and reps is pointless; what matters is whether the damage has been done.  There are so many factors affecting this beyond just sets, reps, frequency, that it's laughable to look no further when declaring someone should or should not be "overtrained".

btw, not calling aj a mindless asshole -- he's far from one.  just naive, when it comes to this topic.

I almost never post anymore or even log in, only lurk from time to time, but I had to log in this time after reading this post here to say: Great Post.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »
Too bad Arnold and Mike Mentzer couldn't have started this thread.

Can you imagine?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2013, 12:28:23 AM »
according to Mike Mentzer overtraining means lack of progress

The Wisdom of Mike Mentzer (page 3)
“Overtraining is not just something ‘kinda’ negative; it’s the single worst training mistake you can make. The greater the overtraining, the more dire the consequences. It’s possible to drive yourself into an overtraining situation that takes months to overcome. If you were to get a sunburn, you wouldn’t keep going out into the sun, would you?"

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2013, 01:08:56 AM »
And didn't Dorian follow the same kind of analogy?

Something like: "Once you pound the nail into the wood, you don't just keep pounding do you?"

Or Ronnie: "Aint nuttin' but a peanut" ~ wait, that one doesn't work.... sorry

Oh, I know, he's pressing 200lb. dumbells sayin' "light weight, light weight" (That way he convinces himself he's not overtraining)

Funny thing though... now he say's if he had it to do all over again, he would'nt ~ but then Frank Zane say's the same thing.

Amazing the things aging bodybuilders come up with when they can no longer function normally... you know, like moving their arms and shit. But we don't call that "over-training" we just call it....an injury... due to....

Let me think about this a bit longer ~

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2013, 01:25:20 AM »
Haney said something like "stimulate but don't annihilate" and many peeps took that to mean a hit against HIT

but... it really wasn't

you see "stimulate" could mean to train til failure and "annihilate" could mean to train past failure ie. forced reps, breakdowns, negatives, etc

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2013, 01:38:14 AM »
I almost never post anymore or even log in, only lurk from time to time, but I had to log in this time after reading this post here to say: Great Post.

thanks man.

it's kind of jumbled, but i hope it still gets some points across, the main one being: these discussions are completely pointless if someone doesn't first take the time to define "overtraining".

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »
thanks man.

it's kind of jumbled, but i hope it still gets some points across, the main one being: these discussions are completely pointless if someone doesn't first take the time to define "overtraining".

For the most part this forum seems to be based on misunderstandings and lack of communication skills ~ other than that, I agree that your post had to have shed some light for at least a blessed few ~

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
What's funniest (not ha-ha funny -- call it curious instead?) about all this is the way many people will stand by a given routine as if it was cast in stone, a divine edict; e.g., thou shalt do no less than 12 sets per bodypart no more frequently than twice weekly.

Look at nature.  It's cyclical.  Even something as basic as watching waves at the beach is worth considering insofar as it illustrates a living organism, like our planet, ebbs and flows.  It's not always chaos, with earthquakes, tsunami, huge storms, freakishly high or low temperatures or the like; by the same token, it's not always, and actually rarely IS, completely "static" to our eyes. 

The planet can tolerate a great deal of stress for short periods, after which it needs a respite of sorts (if only for the life it sustains, namely and primarily us).  You can go nuts in the gym for brief periods and, especially if you're enhanced and eating a shitload of food, I bet you'll be shocked at how quickly you might progress.  But eventually that wave will crash, and if you persist with the drop sets, negatives, extra sets and higher frequency, your strength will inevitably drop and you'll ache from stem to stern.

How long that takes is up to the individual, but I guaranfuckingtee you it'll happen.  Anyone who suggests otherwise is simply ... hmm, how to be polite about this ... not quite thinking things through.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2013, 10:10:23 PM »
And people think Kai is stupid...  ::)

Listen to your bodies bitches! (Yeah, I know someone is gonna fart in the shower)

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »

I was going to make this point, you beat me to it...I been training for 23 years and I can tell these guys who are young that if you do not give your joints plenty of rest, you will be paying for it by the time you reach my age...Shit even giving them plenty of rest each week still is not going to save from pain later on in age...Doing repetitive movements with moderate to heavy weight for years and years means pain later in life...