Author Topic: Looking Back - Blasts from the past  (Read 345954 times)

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
Re: Looking Back - Blasts from the past
« Reply #375 on: August 31, 2014, 02:11:28 AM »

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #376 on: September 06, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #377 on: September 09, 2014, 08:13:19 AM »
Tony, do you remember Ray Nobile?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #378 on: September 09, 2014, 07:44:03 PM »
Tony, do you remember Ray Nobile?

No mate, where from?

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #379 on: September 10, 2014, 02:58:11 AM »
No mate, where from?

Bulgaria by way of Scotland... He mentions you in his new eBook (In a good way)  :)
Maybe you promoted a contest he was in (I believe) or something to that effect...

http://www.strength-oldschool.com/topic/2691-ray-nobile-my-life-in-the-iron-game/

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #380 on: September 10, 2014, 05:37:11 AM »
Bulgaria by way of Scotland... He mentions you in his new eBook (In a good way)  :)
Maybe you promoted a contest he was in (I believe) or something to that effect...

http://www.strength-oldschool.com/topic/2691-ray-nobile-my-life-in-the-iron-game/

I just read his article, I promoted the world police and fire games in Melbourne in 1995. He was there for the powerlifting and had a run in with a guy that was a jerk then and still is 20 years later. Sounds like a good guy, thanks for the link.

TD

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #381 on: September 10, 2014, 07:22:10 AM »

A great read.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #382 on: September 10, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »
hey toney , how about gary strydom, did you ever have any dealings with him, i always thought he had a hell of a physique,  and from what ive

read hes one of the few pros that managed there money well.

etorre

• Getbig II
« Reply #383 on: September 30, 2014, 08:12:13 AM »
A great read.

yes agreed , ray has been there and wore the t shirt.the articles on strength old shool are great,however ray has brought out an ebook telling his story in more detail and his wife marions story,marion won the first britains strongest woman in 2003 and won her countrys bodybuilding championships in 2006.the book is on sale over on strength old school ror 5 euros. there is also chapters on the various diets and training routines he used for his powerlifting and bodybuilding succeces.]

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #384 on: October 11, 2014, 07:37:38 AM »
used to see him train at Venice. Big guy w great shape. I remember him n Flex sitting on one of those tables that have the metal legs that fold down. U see them now made out plastic. Anyway we all know those tables aren't the sturdiest. They were both sitting on the table under a tent at the Redondo beach performing arts center at the maybe 91? Iron man pro. I thot for sure the table was gonna snap. This was back in the day wen Shawn was bitching that the iffb xray Flex' calves for implants. Shawn must notta know about synthol back then I guess. Anyway they were both in spandex looking like things from another planet.

But guess who the hit of the whole show was?  Some huge unknown mf'er strolling around in a pink izod shirt. His name was Paul Dillet.

Btw, first time I ever saw Paul I was driving to the Mecca n was coming down the road where the brick house or wutever the f its called is. Almost to intersection by Mecca n this giant with shoulders n arms like I've never seen is walking down the road. I almost wreck my car. This was back wen Venice was crawling w the best n he stood out. That's wen he first started working out there.

Months later my gf kept said she hated that guy cuz he kept hitting on her.

Good ol days for sure.

Ha ha ha i remember you mentioning in another thread that Paul didn't stop hitting on your gf, he was known for being a stud always on the hunt... It must have been mindblowing seeing him for the first time in early 90s, monster like we will never see again...

Thread delivers, thanks mr. Doherty...

blackbart12090

• Getbig II
  • I was so black it was 2005 it was magnificent.
« Reply #385 on: October 11, 2014, 08:07:27 AM »
hey toney , how about gary strydom, did you ever have any dealings with him, i always thought he had a hell of a physique,  and from what ive

I have seen him at a couple of expos etc. He is always polite and I am the same to him. No hard feelings from me.

What did you think?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #386 on: October 13, 2014, 04:30:30 AM »

Strydom was incredible. He won a pro show we did here in 1989ish, beat Robby in a close contest. I had him guest pose around that time and he was 128kg (282lbs) in crazy condition.

He was very intense in a motivating kind of way, he made a lot of people realise just how hard you needed to train to make it to the top.

When he was at his best, he was the great white hope and had a personality to match his physique. Made a lot of money and managed it well. Still in incredible shape 20 years later.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #387 on: October 13, 2014, 04:48:16 AM »
Sorry I have been missing from my thread.

Been on the road, went to Olympia and did all the backstage interviews for www.npcnewsonline.com
Then went to Arnold Madrid, then judged in Dubai. Got home promoted my state show. Leave tomorrow for China pro.

Interesting fact: You cannot access getbig.com in Dubai. Blocked by govt or state.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #388 on: October 13, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »

Been on the road, went to Olympia and did all the backstage interviews for www.npcnewsonline.com. Then went to Arnold Madrid, then judged in Dubai. Got home promoted my state show. Leave tomorrow for China pro. Interesting fact: You cannot access getbig.com in Dubai. Blocked by govt or state.

Now that is interesting.  Hope you had a great trip traveling around!

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #389 on: October 14, 2014, 02:54:23 AM »

Been on the road, went to Olympia and did all the backstage interviews for www.npcnewsonline.com
Then went to Arnold Madrid, then judged in Dubai. Got home promoted my state show. Leave tomorrow for China pro.

Interesting fact: You cannot access getbig.com in Dubai. Blocked by govt or state.

So we are banned in Dubai, India?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #390 on: October 18, 2014, 01:55:22 AM »
So we are banned in Dubai, India?

Yes but now I am in mainland China and getbig is allowed, however facebook, twitter, instgram and even google are banned.

YiriSS

• Getbig II
« Reply #391 on: October 18, 2014, 03:01:41 AM »
no wonder we havnt seen you in the gym
great thread mate

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #392 on: October 18, 2014, 03:57:22 AM »
Yes but now I am in mainland China and getbig is allowed, however facebook, twitter, instgram and even google are banned.

Are you still doing Max's Muscle Tv?

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #393 on: October 20, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »
Am on page 12 at the moment. But just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU Mr. Doherty for a wonderful thread !!! And I truly mean that !! :)

Now back to my reading lol

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #394 on: October 20, 2014, 05:09:51 PM »
This photograph is from March 1994, interviewing the great Flex Wheeler at the IFBB Southern States show. The reason this is significant to me is that it was this night that I announced that Doherty’s Gym was going to open in Brunswick 2 weeks later on April 8th. Which means that it is 20 years ago today that it all really started for me.

I knew that this was my last shot at it, as I had nothing and owed about $200,000 which was loaded against my parents home. They had backed me from day one and I had let them and everyone close to me down. I had pissed it away and partied like a rockstar, thinking I was shit hot. Thinking I was bulletproof, a success in my own mind. Truth is, I was delusional, dazed and way, way ahead of myself.

I opened the doors on April 8th without a single member, no staff, no money in my pocket, nothing in the bank. I had no idea how I would get through the first week, let alone the first year. I just waited for someone to come in and train and after a few hours, a young couple came in and joined up. That first day I had about 10 people come in but no one else joined. This went on for a while and I just kept at it. Kept showing up, day after day, week after week.

The first year I sold everything to keep the doors open, house, cars, furniture, you name it, I lost it. The phone or power got cut every month, at least. I had no where to live and no car, all I had was a vertical grill and a rice cooker. I slept on the couch at the gym for that first 12 months, I would get up in the morning and walk up to the main road to get a paper and a coffee. This way it looked like I had actually come from somewhere. Then I would walk to the gym to open up at 6AM. I would work through to 9 or 10PM, most days on my own until everyone had left, once again I would lock up and pretend to head home until everyone had gone, then sneak back and let myself back in.

I developed a saying that I still use to this day. “Don’t worry about what you can’t do, worry about what you can do.” So with that in mind, when I couldn’t afford to buy new equipment, I would buy a can of paint. When no one came in, I would move everything in the gym. I would dust, clean, re-arrange everything. After a while, people would come in and say, “Hey you are always doing something.”  That inspired me more, I thought if people come in and I’m sitting around or complaining, they will pick up on that crap energy. If they come in and I’m busy, they will know I care.

Slowly I started to straighten myself out, killed the ego, got back into heavy training, lost the ponytail and kicked myself until I got up and about. I realise now, how far I had fallen and how close I came to falling through the cracks. I knew that from then on, I would give life everything I had. By that I mean, I made a deal with myself that I would never have regret, or die wondering. No  more excuses, no blaming others, no turning back.

I’m writing this for anyone doubting themselves. Anyone thinking about giving up, or thinking they don’t deserve success. For the ones out there that have made stupid mistakes and bad choices. For everyone that has been told they are no good, everyone that has been written off and laughed at. You must never quit, never give in, never let the doubters wear you down. You gotta be tough, you have to stop worrying about what others think. You have to find it within yourself. You have to hold your head up high and stay humble, no matter what, you have to grind. You have to get up every day and attack it like it is your last day, your last chance. When you put you head down at night, you have to know you did everything today, that you could to move forward. Sometimes it will seem fruitless, useless and slow. That is when you dig in harder, you must trust the process, trust yourself and most of all believe in yourself, I mean deep down inside where no one else dwells, that’s where you have to believe in yourself.

Grind hard - Don’t quit!

One of the greatest and most motivating posts I've ever had the pleasure of reading in my whole life.

Almost felt as if you were speaking to me personally through the computer screen as I read this.

Amazing. Just amazing. You've got a fan in me, Tony.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #395 on: October 20, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
used to see him train at Venice. Big guy w great shape. I remember him n Flex sitting on one of those tables that have the metal legs that fold down. U see them now made out plastic. Anyway we all know those tables aren't the sturdiest. They were both sitting on the table under a tent at the Redondo beach performing arts center at the maybe 91? Iron man pro. I thot for sure the table was gonna snap. This was back in the day wen Shawn was bitching that the iffb xray Flex' calves for implants. Shawn must notta know about synthol back then I guess. Anyway they were both in spandex looking like things from another planet.

But guess who the hit of the whole show was?  Some huge unknown mf'er strolling around in a pink izod shirt. His name was Paul Dillet.

Btw, first time I ever saw Paul I was driving to the Mecca n was coming down the road where the brick house or wutever the f its called is. Almost to intersection by Mecca n this giant with shoulders n arms like I've never seen is walking down the road. I almost wreck my car. This was back wen Venice was crawling w the best n he stood out. That's wen he first started working out there.

Months later my gf kept said she hated that guy cuz he kept hitting on her.

Good ol days for sure.

I can't imagine seeing Dillet in his prime. Had to be a sight to see for sure.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #396 on: October 20, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »
Question, Tony. Just because I'm a huge fan of Kai and I LOVE to eat myself. You mentioned in an earlier post that Kai was a very large eater. What exactly have you witnessed him eat throughout the day and / or a sitting ?

Thanks and keep coming with the awesome stories !!! 8)

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #397 on: October 20, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
Tony, do you know what year is the real year of Sonny Schmidt's birth?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #398 on: October 22, 2014, 09:29:42 PM »
Tony, do you know what year is the real year of Sonny Schmidt's birth?

Hi Joe, he was born September 1953 and died January 2004 aged 50.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #399 on: October 22, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
Are you still doing Max's Muscle Tv?

Yes just coming to the end of our 7th series.

Started over 10 years ago and now on free TV every week.

You can watch on youtube as well. Every episode is archived here.

http://muscletv.tv/