Author Topic: can bb ever become popular again?  (Read 10658 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: can bb ever become popular again?
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2005, 11:52:27 PM »
Fan "base." Sorry, typo.

madmullah

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2005, 12:14:30 AM »
Duhhh...uhhh...bodybuilding (a.k.a. "recreational bodybuilding") is very popular worldwide and has millions of practitioners/"followers" currently!  Why, health clubs, gyms, YMCA's, home gyms, schools, rehab centers, etc., are literally "bustling"/"packed" with serious, dedicated, weight-trainers/bodybuilders!!

Don't just focus on the national BB mags. with their articles on the MINISCULE few pro. BB FREAKS and their miscreant, illegal drug-using/trafficking, lifestyles, that the mags so glibly cover-up!!

There exists an apparent never-ending confusion as to the meaning/definition of the term “bodybuilding”!  Bodybuilding (BB) really should be defined as including all individuals who weight-train to improve their appearance, health, strength, and athletic ability.  Of course, using such a definition of BB would include several million practitioners, worldwide!

With the advent of the Weiders mag "propaganda", and their heavy commercialized articles/ads/contest-reporting in recent decades, the term “bodybuilding” has been subverted to focus only on professional bodybuilding.  Of course, pro. BBers make up only a very SMALL fraction of the legions of millions of bodybuilding practitioners (hardly even 1%, I am sure)!

Like any discipline/lifestyle/“sport”/activity, you are always going to have a few miscreant practitioners who give every other clean-living, drug-free/natural, accomplished, good-citizen, law-abiding, bodybuilding practitioner a “black-eye” with their socially unacceptable behavior…e.g. illegal drug use/trafficking, burglaries, gang-activities, murder, etc.!!

Yet, despite… the blatant lies and drug-use cover-up, perpetuated by the bodybuilding mags.; the pro. BB male chemical monsters and “she-he’s” receiving heavy mag. publicity;  the ‘roid-rage psychos running loose in society-some even posting to Getbig; illegal drug dealers/users, murderers, other criminals, etc., who practice BB and receive sensational media/press… these serious negative aspects associated with BB are greatly overshadowed by the highly POSITIVE aspect of having millions of successful worldwide practitioners and supporters-of/believers-in BB!!

These millions of socially-responsible, “good-citizen”, estimable, recreational, BBers use BB as a regular tool to help live more productive, healthier, stronger, longer, lives, with a greatly improved relative physical appearance, generally speaking, when compared to the non-bodybuilding, non-exercising, general public.  In other words, using BB as a means to a worthwhile end(s), and not just an end in itself!!   

well said however not everyone who trains with weights likes to call themselves a bodybuilder or is able to achieve the build  to compete at even small bbing contest or likes to go to bbing shows

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2005, 02:03:51 AM »
With the advent of the Weiders mag "propaganda", and their heavy commercialized articles/ads/contest-reporting in recent decades, the term “bodybuilding” has been subverted to focus only on professional bodybuilding.

the Weider magazines have been doing that since the early 1960s. 

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2005, 05:48:23 AM »
so basically get rid of the whole industry.

LOL

freeagain

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2005, 06:42:41 AM »

the whole 'industry' has descended into criminality and drug abuse ... all gone totally unchecked.

the 'stars' are adoptin a gangster rap-esque appeal rather than the fitness and health facade of yesteryear.

the titus debacle is the final slip down the slippery slope of slippyness.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2005, 06:45:53 AM »
yeah  the problem is the drug scene not the schmoes and muscle worshipers   lol

Below Me

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2005, 08:48:42 AM »
the final slip down the slippery slope of slippyness.

Did you steal this line from Snoop?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2005, 10:20:36 AM »
In a way both of you guys are right.

Bodybuilding was never "mainstream" popular, but it did have a fan that was much larger and more passionate  than it is today.

I used to go to the Night of Champions when it was held at the Beacon Theatre (3000+ seats) and guys like Robbie Robinson and Danny Padilla were competing. The place was always packed. Today, I don't see the Beacon selling out for that event.

I saw the Night of the Champions in 1982 at the Beacon. Albert Beckles won. I went to many Grand Prix shows in the late 70's to mid 80's. I have to agree with those here that state bodybuilding did have a larger and more dedicated fanbase in those years than it does today. Back then you had guys with great builds who looked human. Today you have guys who look terrible. Back then you had Rachel McLish. Today you have the she-males. With progress like that no wonder bodybuilding is such a small niche sport.
The House that Ruth built

Richard2004

• Getbig IV
  • REAL explosive strength!
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2005, 02:29:53 PM »
well said however not everyone who trains with weights likes to call themselves a bodybuilder or is able to achieve the build  to compete at even small bbing contest or likes to go to bbing shows

If we define "bodybuilding" as training with weight-resistant equipment (free or machines) to improve our appearance, strength, health, athletic ability, etc...then we ARE ONE...by definition...like the "moniker", or not!

"Being a bodybuilder" has absolutely nothing to do with whether you want to enter a "male beauty contest" (a.k.a. a "bodybuilding", or "physique", contest), or go to one!

Richard2004

• Getbig IV
  • REAL explosive strength!
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2005, 02:43:12 PM »
the Weider magazines have been doing that since the early 1960s. 

Well now Tim, "Pal Joey"..."Trainer of Champions"...or whatever Weider was called (or called himself!) has been publishing BB mags since what...the late 1930's!? 

When I was growing up, there were Weider mags. like Muscle Power and Muscle Builder.  It just seems that in the last 20 odd-years the term "bodybuilding" has been more and more associated with those who solely compete in BB contests (mainly pro. BB contests)!?? 

This relatively very small number of BB contest competitors is doubtfully 1% (even?) of ALL the individuals, worldwide, who train with weights to improve themselves and are, by definition, BODYBUILDERS.  In other words, "bodybuilders" as originally defined by pioneer iron-game writers like...Rader...Hoffman.. .and yes, and even by "Pal Joey", originally!

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2005, 03:33:28 PM »
Sounds good to me.

Shitcan all of it. 
Start fresh in 2006 with all new shit to sell that provides an instant 10% gain in strength. 
A professional organization that has judging standards that are followed.   
And a "drug" testing program that carries three strikes and you're out.

Gakic?

HAHA, RON.....

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2005, 03:59:57 PM »
In a way both of you guys are right.

Bodybuilding was never "mainstream" popular, but it did have a fan that was much larger and more passionate  than it is today.

I used to go to the Night of Champions when it was held at the Beacon Theatre (3000+ seats) and guys like Robbie Robinson and Danny Padilla were competing. The place was always packed. Today, I don't see the Beacon selling out for that event.

It is true that Joe Weider's empire is in decline, but that doesn't mean bodybuilding is any less popular than it was 20 years ago.

As Richard pointed out, bodybuilding and weight training are more popular than ever. Almost every city and town in the US has a gym. Millions upon millions of people have gym memberships. I would be willing to bet that the total number of bodybuilding contestants is far higher than it was in the 80's. There are also far more contests and federations.

The idea that the likes of Lee Haney or Danny Padilla attained ANY level of fame amongst the general public is simply laughable. Even many weight trainers never heard of those guys. With the growth of the internet, I would be willing to bet that far more people have heard of Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler.

If anything, bodybuilding has become too popular. There are way too many steroid clowns in the gyms. There are way too many armchair biochemists giving out irresponsible steroid advice. There are way too many gurus trying to promote their pseudoscientific training doctrines. There are way too many supplement companies pushing worthless and overhyped products. There are way too many equipment companies producing useless exercise machines. There are way too many powder puff gyms staffed with personal trainers who can't bench their own bodyweight. There are way too many "bodybuilding" magazines which cater to faggots and clueless gym goers. Above all, there are way too many lazy little shits who use "overtraining" as an excuse not to train hard.

Now, I'm sure Dan-O will respond with something witty like "Lee Haney had his own brand of ice cream," etc. :D
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2005, 08:13:51 PM »
Well now Tim, "Pal Joey"..."Trainer of Champions"...or whatever Weider was called (or called himself!) has been publishing BB mags since what...the late 1930's!? 

Weider started publishing Your Physique in 1940.  But the post I was responding to talked about the Weider mags promoting the pros.  This began in the early 1960s, which is when Joe Weider created pro bodybuilding as we know it today.  Look at any Muscle Builder or Mr America from the 1960s or 1970s and they're almost exclusively about Weider's pro bodybuilders and the Weider supplements or Weider equipment they used.    In that sense, nothing has changed.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2005, 08:24:18 PM »
Yea it's in decline.  Instaed of being worth a billion it is worth only $990 million.  Better sell quick

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2005, 08:39:53 PM »
Trying to make bodybuilding more popular will ruin the sport. Look at what's going on with the Olympia.

madmullah

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2005, 09:06:26 PM »
Trying to make bodybuilding more popular will ruin the sport. Look at what's going on with the Olympia.
there  is  no danger of bbing becoming popular it has been in decline for years.how in hell can making the sport popular ruin it?it is unpopularity that is killing it.

dirk digler

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2005, 09:11:25 PM »
Bodybuilding has never been "popular".

Hope this helps.
DRRRRRRRRRRR! How old are you? 11? The Olympia was on network tv all throught the seventies and stopped in about '82. There were local shows everywhere. Now to be a bber, one has to be a metrosexual at best.

madmullah

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2005, 09:26:49 PM »
DRRRRRRRRRRR! How old are you? 11? The Olympia was on network tv all throught the seventies and stopped in about '82. There were local shows everywhere. Now to be a bber, one has to be a metrosexual at best.
well said, some of the comments make you wonder if these guys were ever involved in bbing outside their bedrooms.

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2005, 09:35:23 PM »
You guys missing the Ole days huh :-\..........Me  too! :'(

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2005, 10:52:57 PM »

well said, some of the comments make you wonder if these guys were ever involved in bbing outside their bedrooms.

Well you guys better not disagree with BrianX because he knows all about how it was in the old days. ::)

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2005, 12:00:07 AM »
the titus debacle is the final slip down the slippery slope of slippyness.

^You speak ebonics, nugga?   ;D

Don't get caught slippin' freefree........

You can be touched.

.....to my homies that I used to have that no longer ROLL..........catch a brother at the crossroads..... :'(

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Sasha Ogata

• Getbig II
  • aloha sasha
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2005, 12:25:29 AM »
I am here to add some excitment to the BB world..... :-*
"I know Im ugly"

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2005, 03:41:20 AM »
I am here to add some excitment to the BB world..... :-*

what excitement? Fake boobs and a man face?
I am a mini beast

robocop

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2005, 04:46:24 AM »
what excitement? Fake boobs and a man face?

exactly :'(

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2005, 06:07:54 AM »
I saw the Night of the Champions in 1982 at the Beacon. Albert Beckles won. I went to many Grand Prix shows in the late 70's to mid 80's. I have to agree with those here that state bodybuilding did have a larger and more dedicated fanbase in those years than it does today. Back then you had guys with great builds who looked human. Today you have guys who look terrible. Back then you had Rachel McLish. Today you have the she-males. With progress like that no wonder bodybuilding is such a small niche sport.

great performances at that show.  today the physiques almost border of grotesque.  not my tastes but who am i to JUDGE?   LOL 
dont bring up the judging