Author Topic: Generation Iron - Los Angeles Premiere  (Read 17181 times)

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
Re: Generation Iron - Los Angeles Premiere
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2013, 07:48:16 AM »
can't decide if i wanna see this in the theatre or wait for it to be smuggled onto youtube.
sept 10th APF

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2013, 07:58:03 AM »
Watch the movie.... I did last night.   Accusing me of lying... oh boy... what shall we change your avatar too...

So who was there in Los Angeles that will compete at the 2013 Mr. Olympia - the top six last year at the Olympia plus more...

Phil Heath
Kai Greene
Shawn Rhoden
Dexter Jackson
Branch Warren
Dennis Wolf
Roelly Winklaar

Only one missing was Jay Cutler... either he was in Vegas or at Marina Del Rey....

Ill be watching it this weekend at the AMC in Burbank,ca.  the girlfriend is still laughing at the fact i want to take her out on a date to watch it

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2013, 08:24:24 AM »
i'm just hoping that it's at least half as good as pumping iron.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2013, 10:03:10 AM »
Another review

http://www.denverpost.com/fitness/ci_24107916/generation-iron-new-documentary-film-about-bodybuilders

"Generation Iron": A new documentary film about bodybuilders
By William Porter
The Denver Post

Vlad Yudin didn't move from Moscow to New York City to make a documentary movie on the subculture of professional bodybuilding. It just worked out that way.

The 30-year-old filmmaker ("Last Day of Summer," the upcoming "Catskill Park") arrived in this country at age 12. Like many in his industry, these days he's multicoastal, although the Big Apple remains his home base.

Lots more travel looms. Yudin's latest documentary, "Generation Iron," opens nationwide Sept. 20. Screenings in Denver and Colorado Springs will introduce local viewers to an entirely new breed of bodybuilders.

Thirty-six years have passed since "Pumping Iron" hit theaters. Directors George Butler and Robert Fiore took the public into California's famed Gold's Gym, where he documented bodybuilders as they prepared for the 1975 Mr. Olympia and Mr. Universe contests. The film put a young Austrian immigrant named Arnold Schwarzenegger on the road to stardom, and his friend and competitor Lou Ferrigno also enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame. (Both appear in Yudin's film, and actor Mickey Rourke narrates.)
So why another documentary on bodybuilding?

Because the sport is bigger than ever — and has also gone through changes as enormous as its elite competitors' pecs, lats, delts and biceps.

Beyond the number of Joe and Jane Q. Publics now in mainstream weight rooms, pro bodybuilding has left its mark on Hollywood action films. Sure, '50s-era film stars such as Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas were hunky guys, but today's big-screen heroes — Hugh Jackman, Daniel Craig and company — are positively ripped.

Yudin recently took time to talk about his film and the sport.

Q: What spurred your interest in making this film?

A: In many ways professional bodybuilding is an unexplored subject. At first I just wanted to learn more about this world. When I talked to a few bodybuilders I saw the potential for a film. They're really dynamic people. The film is really a journey into a world that isn't really well known.

Q: How accessible were the bodybuilders as documentary subjects?

A: I don't come from a bodybuilding background myself, so I had to develop a level of trust with them. Other people have treated the subject with a lack of objectivity — even making fun of it. I wanted to strike a balance. Being a bodybuilder is a tough job. You have to be dedicated 24/7 — it's a real grind.

Q: Was there anything that surprised you about their lives?

A: Absolutely. I had seven main guys, all different. I learned a lot about them. I was surprised at how intelligent they are. They have a meticulous and scientific approach to their lives. As a bodybuilder, you're essentially an artist. Your body is the canvas or the block of marble you're sculpting. It's one of the toughest sports out there. You're a creator. Little by little you're creating a masterpiece, and it takes years and years of dedication and deprivation.

Q: What changes has the sport undergone since "Pumping Iron" came out in 1977?

A. Back then it was more of an amateur sport. Today they're professionals. It's how they make their living. They consider themselves professional athletes. "Pumping Iron" started changing how we look at the musculature of action-movie heroes. There's still a debate over the best bodybuilding type. Some like today's look with more mass. Others like the sleek Frank Zane look. (A reference to a 1970s-era bodybuilding star known for his lean, Greek-statue proportions.) But most people go to shows to see someone different, extraordinary. Someone not like themselves.

Q: Did the bodybuilders talk about steroid use at all? Lifters today have so much more mass and musculature than even outright superstars such as Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno had.

A: We talk about it in the film. To make an honest film you have to talk about it. When you see that mass you can't help but thinking "cheating" or "using drugs." But in this day and age it's a conversation in all pro sports.

Q: Is there any single compelling figure in the movie, someone who could become a breakout star like Arnold did?

A. I absolutely think so. Phil Heath (a two-time Mr. Olympia and former University of Denver basketball player) and Kai Green (a top pro with a 58-inch chest.) Both have amazing personalities, though they're very different from each other. I definitely think both of them could have a place in the entertainment industry. They're really charismatic personalities. These guys will hold your attention.

Q: What's your personal view of bodybuilding as a pursuit?

A: I look at it as an art form in many ways. Bodybuilding should have more mainstream appreciation. It's a mental as well as physical thing. It's not just going to the gym and lifting weights. It's deeper than that.

Q: What's the most interesting thing you learned during filming?

A: I didn't realize how much these guys were being judged by society. They get on a plane and people stare at them. Some don't want to be around them. They're often viewed negatively. Some see beauty and art, others think it's a freak show.

William Porter: 303-954-1877, wporter@denverpost.com or twitter.com/williamporterdp

Where to see "Generation Iron"

The bodybuilding documentary will be shown at AMC Highlands Ranch AMC (103 W. Centennial Blvd., Littleton) and at Cinemark Tinseltown USA (1545 E. Cheyenne Mountain Blvd., Colorado Springs.) The nationwide release date for the film is Sept. 20.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
Was Jay ever approached about being in the movie? We know he didn't compete last year, but he certainly could have been worked into the story line!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2013, 10:44:42 AM »
Jay was in the commercials on ESPN about it.   Just didn't bother coming to the premiere.

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2013, 11:04:47 AM »
Jay was in the commercials on ESPN about it.   Just didn't bother coming to the premiere.

i heard he was at the AMC in santa monica watching Lee Daniels' The Butler with Kerry

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2013, 12:05:40 PM »
Tens days out..     

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »
Tens days out..     

Legit bodybuilder!

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2013, 03:19:49 PM »
Peter "pump" Putnam and Dan "down" hill should have been in the movie  >:(

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2013, 09:43:30 PM »
Peter "pump" Putnam and Dan "down" hill should have been in the movie  >:(

Umm.. no.

Mickey Rourke may look interesting in person now, but his voice in the movie is daunting and it works great as he narrates it.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2013, 06:46:57 PM »

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2013, 06:48:08 PM »
Jay was out front of the premiere early but got kicked out for trying to sell mouth guards and CD's without a permit...

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2013, 04:09:04 AM »
Still living in his small Brooklyn apartment.. yeah, livin the dream..

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2013, 05:13:41 AM »
Phil is outta control with this stepping in front of Kai thing. Kai needs to put an end to this shit.
Haha! I just noticed that. ;D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »
Still living in his small Brooklyn apartment.. yeah, livin the dream..

saw the movie mike katz is still looking for his T-shirt 36 years later.
F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2013, 07:30:01 AM »
saw the movie mike katz is still looking for his T-shirt 36 years later.

Some serious neck development :o
It's not in the theatres outside the US, so I have to wait for a valid torrent, had two fakes so far >:(

LanceD

• Getbig III
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2013, 07:36:53 AM »
while these guys were at the movie, Jay was getting an extra workout in, that will be the difference boys...Jay is smart.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »
Umm.. no.

Mickey Rourke may look interesting in person now, but his voice in the movie is daunting and it works great as he narrates it.

Agreed.  He sounds exactly like Lance Henriksen... you know, this guy:

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2013, 09:57:07 AM »
while these guys were at the movie, Jay was getting an extra workout insulin in, that will be the difference boys...Jay is smart.

Yes, he is..

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »
The reviews are pretty good:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2205904

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2014, 07:59:35 AM »
Going global, baby!

Generation Iron Addition Screenings!

UK
There will be 8 additional Generation Iron Screenings in the UK on January 24th at these Showcase cinemas:

Bluewater
Bristol Cinema de Lux
Cardiff Nantgarw
Glasgow
Leeds
Liverpool
Manchester
Paisley

Get Tix: http://bit.ly/1et0Wmh

IRELAND
Generation Iron also starts playing in IRELAND starting February 8th at IMC! Stay Tuned for additional detail

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2014, 08:22:50 AM »
If someone has a valid(!) torrent, please let me know.
Seems the only way to see it in the mainland of Europe  :-\

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2014, 10:39:27 AM »
when is this piece of shit going to hit the BLU-RAY????