Author Topic: Front squats...can't do them.  (Read 5179 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Front squats...can't do them.
« on: September 29, 2013, 03:49:18 AM »
Let first say what a humbling exercise the front squat is, as I honestly had never done it before but recently began attempting it and...apparently I have lots of imbalances because I cannot do it right. Even just the bar is painful on the clavicles. I am considering just practising with my bodyweight, any tips, links or anything that could help would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
I hate the State.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
Re: Front squats...can't do them.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 02:40:30 PM »
do leg press and call it a day stud

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »
try strict dumbbell or kettlebell squats (feet within 6" of each other) instead... not every exercise is for everyone.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:06:29 AM »
The triceps and shoulder girdle/upper back have a lot to do with how well front squats are done, when first attempted. Including balance also. Its their degree of stretch and flexability while holding the bar on the upper chest/delts and how the bar "sets"there. Most important is that the elbows be kept as hight as possible when starting out with front squats.

Might use just a lighter weight at first, getting adjusted to the front placement. It's a learning exercise, and for most, takes time to get use to. With the stretch and flexability the main concern. After awhile a heavier bar should feel fairly rock solid in that position. The bar will usually cradle quite well on the shoulders/upper chest. For most, front squats are an excelent quad builder.

Some advance guy's will cross the arms, keep the arms out and at a angle, on the finger tips, etc, etc.. Lot depends on body type/bone length & flexability. If you still find front squats not to your liking than don't do them...your choice.  No sense being a slave to something you don't like or may even invite injury to you. Good Luck.
F

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 06:15:00 AM »
Start off light and focus on proper form.  For me it's easier to do them with weight on the bar than with just the bar.  For some reason if i try to warm up with just the bar i feel really out of balance.

I prefer to keep me feet about shoulder width apart and toes pointed slightly out, so the knee travels directly over the foot in the same direction.

Place the bar on your clavicle area and like JPM said keep your elbows high, try to keep your upper body as straight as possible.  Keeping your elbows up help with your posture.

I prefer to cross my arms and grip the bar lightly.  However, after doing front squats for years i can do them with my hands out straight forward because i have the balance part down.

Watch of videos and make sure you are doing them correctly.  They do take a while to learn how to do properly, but nothing hits my quads like front squats.  I do them ass to grass and never have any issues with my knees.

Also, a good pair of weightlifting shoes makes a big difference on these.  I won't do front squats without my Olympic shoes.

8)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »
Agree with Overload.  

Shoes can be important for learning and balance. Olympic style lifting shoes/boots have a raised heel, insuring even greater balance.  Most other BBérs, etc, will use a 2X4 or a pair of BB plates under the heels. Seems to encourage going quite low in the squat position also. And a bit better focus on the quads themselves and less back strain (in my view).

In my starting out lifting years I used army boots and Red Wing boots when squatting  (regular,front & Hack BB squats)). Later bought Olympic shoes. For the last 10 years, or so, i squat (all forms) barefooted. Helps a lot of surfers, because they (and me) get a better grip/feel for the board. Good Luck

F

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »
Address your thoracic and shoulder mobility issues. It doesn't matter if you FS, if you CANT FS then you need to be flexible enough to be able to do the lift, being unable to assume the position means you're tight and have bad posture, so you will eventually hurt your shoulder or back.

goblet squats teach you how to do the lift, do them up to 100lbs or whatever then put 135 on the bar and front

ALWAYS use the clean grip - you just need one finger on the bar, not all of them

FS harness works but it's expensive and doesn't address your mobility issues

stretch the fuck out of glutes, hips, hams, calfs

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 01:07:24 AM »
since i quit weightlifting and tried to front squat again i noticed i keep getting small upper back "injuries"

like some sharp pains

then i just say fuck it

i think upper back is not strong enough anymore since quitting weightlifting

or just getting old

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 06:41:09 PM »
since i quit weightlifting and tried to front squat again i noticed i keep getting small upper back "injuries"

like some sharp pains

then i just say fuck it

i think upper back is not strong enough anymore since quitting weightlifting

or just getting old

or possibly delusional... or possibly both

advice centered on practicing the front squat often before using weight is excellent... too many lifters today use the crossshit method of learning how to lift ie just fling shit around and call it squatting

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »
I'm up to 225 a2g now. Started off a couple months ago with 95lbs. Damn that was humbling... and embarrassing.

My elbows are fucked so I do them cross armed instead of oly style. As far as any pain or discomfort with the weight that mostly went away after the first two weeks. Like jpm said keep your elbows/arms up... it will keep the bar from rolling too much.

For depth issues you might have to point your toes out wider than you're accustomed. My stance is narrow but feet point out.

Try a2g instead of parallel. It may mentally help you drop your butt down.
A

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 02:10:50 AM »
check this out.. guy swears by this in the Gym for front squats.
http://www.prowriststraps.com/sting_ray_manta_ray_front_rear_squat_support_harness

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »

or possibly delusional... or possibly both

advice centered on practicing the front squat often before using weight is excellent... too many lifters today use the crossshit method of learning how to lift ie just fling shit around and call it squatting
i have better lifting technique than 99% of getbig

fact of life

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
Keep your elbows up like others have mentioned. If you are doing in Olympic style very few can keep a closed grip. Most open their hands. The weight is on a shelf that happens when your upper arm is parallel to the ground or higher. Some cross their arms and wrap the bar in a towel.

One method I rarely see is the wrist strap front squat. Use conventional wrist straps that have a loop that the tail goes in.  Open it up and thread it around the bar. Now if your shoulders and elbows are tight like most bodybuilder you now have a tail to hold onto with your elbows up. Most can front squat like an Olympic lifter now that they can simulate the way they hold the bar.  If this isn't clear I'll try to do a more succinct description of adapting a wrist strap into a hand hold for front squats.  

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »
Keep your elbows up like others have mentioned. If you are doing in Olympic style very few can keep a closed grip. Most open their hands. The weight is on a shelf that happens when your upper arm is parallel to the ground or higher. Some cross their arms and wrap the bar in a towel.

One method I rarely see is the wrist strap front squat. Use conventional wrist straps that have a loop that the tail goes in.  Open it up and thread it around the bar. Now if your shoulders are and elbows are tight like most bodybuilder you now have a tail to hold onto with your elbows up. Most can front squat like an Olympic lifter now that they can simulate the way they hold the bar.  If this isn't clear I'll try to do a more succinct description of adapting a wrist strap into a hand hold for front squats. 
good advice

AVBG

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
Do zercher squats instead.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 05:45:40 PM »
Here's a youtube that explains it pretty well.
t=47

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 10:57:43 PM »
Essentially you want to keep your hips as close to the bar as possible.
The longer your femurs, the wider your stance. Point your toes out at a 35-45 degree angle. On the decent think "show me your nuts". Concentrate on just dropping the hips straight down. It might be hard to get to depth this way, but so what? Just go as deep as you can and you'll be developing the thighs as best you can. Many weightlifters don't get to "depth", but it's deep none the less, it's just that the hip abduction and ankle flexing stops the hips dropping below the knees. It doesn't matter though, you're taking the knee through a full range of motion and that's what matters

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 12:43:03 AM »
The triceps and shoulder girdle/upper back have a lot to do with how well front squats are done, when first attempted. Including balance also. Its their degree of stretch and flexability while holding the bar on the upper chest/delts and how the bar "sets"there. Most important is that the elbows be kept as hight as possible when starting out with front squats.

Might use just a lighter weight at first, getting adjusted to the front placement. It's a learning exercise, and for most, takes time to get use to. With the stretch and flexability the main concern. After awhile a heavier bar should feel fairly rock solid in that position. The bar will usually cradle quite well on the shoulders/upper chest. For most, front squats are an excelent quad builder.

Some advance guy's will cross the arms, keep the arms out and at a angle, on the finger tips, etc, etc.. Lot depends on body type/bone length & flexability. If you still find front squats not to your liking than don't do them...your choice.  No sense being a slave to something you don't like or may even invite injury to you. Good Luck.
spot on and a really good post. I cross my arms and hold the bar just with my fingertips. I prefer front squat to ordinsry squats for building muscle.  When i was younger before my 6year break i did reps on 200 and could hold my arms straigt forward cause the bar sits line a rock i  the dimp that the shoulders make. I but it is like you  say something that comes with trsiming it. At first i had no balance and it did hurt alot on the shoulders but after a while it comes natural. I stqrted doin fronts again now after the break and it was like riding a bike. Once you learn it you never forget

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »
check this out.. guy swears by this in the Gym for front squats.
http://www.prowriststraps.com/sting_ray_manta_ray_front_rear_squat_support_harness

I used to love front squats.  But now, in my old age, the very tops of my front delts get bruised after doing them.  (You can't see the bruising but there is a very tender spot on each front delt for a couple of days afterwards.)

I can't carry the bar any higher, either -- the pressure against my throat is annoying enough as it is.

I think I'll try ordering the front squat shoulder things.  I train at a foo-foo gym anyway so the amount of weight I'm moving will keep most of the laughter to a minimum (I hope).

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 07:08:26 PM »
Definitely an exercise I have never really mastered, hence why I have probably only tried them a handful of times. My shoulder girdle just seems to tight to be able to comfortably support the bar.
Some of those youtube links were good, might give them another crack next leg day.
No doubt about it...