Author Topic: My Training Programm - Your Ideas? Suggestions? Criticism?  (Read 4306 times)

Mr.Olegowitsch

• Getbig II
My Training Programm - Your Ideas? Suggestions? Criticism?
« on: October 24, 2013, 02:29:29 AM »
What's up guys? What do you think about my programm? I'm not an expert at programming, so I'm asking for your criticism and suggestions.
I will adjust the reps and weight on the heavy compound movements but I want to know if the frame, the split of the routine is okay or if I should change something.
My main goal is to gain strength.

Monday: 1) Heavy Squats
              2) Two sets of light / moderate weight squats for 8-12 reps without a belt
              3) Good Mornings x 3 sets of 8-12 reps
              4) Hacksquat Machine x 3 sets of 6-8 reps
              5) Abs
              6) Seated Calve Raises x 3-4 sets

Tuesday or Wednesday: 1) Heavy Paused Bench Press
                   2) Military Press 3 x 3, next week try to do more reps with this weight, then increase it
                   3) Dips  4 sets x 8-15 reps  (my fav. assistance exercise for bench... they help increasing my bench like almost nothing else  :D)
                   4) Biceps-Curls 3-4 sets x 8- 12 reps
                   5) Triceps Push-Downs or Extensions behind the head supersetted with Cable-Curls
                   6) Rotator exercises and pec-stretching (my shoulders and chest feels pretty good when I do this after my upper body workouts)

Friday:   1) A Deadlift Variation... could be Deficit Deads, Block Pulls, or just Conventional Deadlifts
             2) Rack Pulls 3 sets x 5-8 reps
             3) Lat-Pulldowns 3 x 8- 12 reps
             4) Seated Rows or Hammer Strength Machine 3 x 8 - 12 reps
             5) Abs

Saturday: 1)Bench Press  Rep Day
               2) Close Grip Bench two working sets
               3) Dips 3 x 8-15
               4) Biceps / triceps exercise in a superset 4 x 8 - 15
               5) Rotator exercises and pec-stretching

Sunday:maybe some light cardio... like riding a bike for a while or slow Jogging

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: My Training Programm - Your Ideas? Suggestions? Criticism?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
goals?
age?
weight?
height?
years experience lifting?

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 05:44:48 PM »
It's not bad. Basically a variation of the fairly standard 4 days a week: back, chest, legs, shoulders/arms, except you are playing around with the pressing days to emphasize the bench press. When most people start out creating their own routines they usually have a routine in mind that they are trying to modify and/or blend with something else. Just out of curiosity, is this the case here?

Mr.Olegowitsch

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 01:14:03 AM »
goals?
age?
weight?
height?
years experience lifting?

Age 21
weight about 103 kg / 227 lbs
height 1,82 m
years of experience: many years of, more or less, shitty training (hard and heavy but not smart...) and a bit over a year of very solid training. I started lifting when I was 15, I think.

Goals: 300 kg raw deadlift (I want this deadlift so bad!!! ) 240-250 kg squat (no wraps) and 170-180 kg bench before I turn 22 lol

My best lifts  are 260 deadlift, 220 squat and 157,5 kg bench right now.

Mr.Olegowitsch

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 01:30:58 AM »
It's not bad. Basically a variation of the fairly standard 4 days a week: back, chest, legs, shoulders/arms, except you are playing around with the pressing days to emphasize the bench press. When most people start out creating their own routines they usually have a routine in mind that they are trying to modify and/or blend with something else. Just out of curiosity, is this the case here?

Yeah kinda...  :) I want to stick to the Westside-Barbell split with two lower body and two upper body days but without  doing all that dynamic effort stuff, like box squats or speed benches with bands, because I don't get much out of it.

Btw I'll make some modifications , like lowering the volume on Monday and switch some exercises... just realized a few things last week which can help me, so I got to adapt the programm.

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:19:13 PM »
Age 21
weight about 103 kg / 227 lbs
height 1,82 m
years of experience: many years of, more or less, shitty training (hard and heavy but not smart...) and a bit over a year of very solid training. I started lifting when I was 15, I think.

Goals: 300 kg raw deadlift (I want this deadlift so bad!!! ) 240-250 kg squat (no wraps) and 170-180 kg bench before I turn 22 lol

My best lifts  are 260 deadlift, 220 squat and 157,5 kg bench right now.

My best deadlift is 240kg at 68.8kg and I missed 250kg at the meet, no deadlift bar it was a pendlay bar. Competing in December at 75kg and aiming for 270kg with the deadlift bar
Honestly if you're going after strength then it's not ideal at all. Break your ass on ONE exercise then get a max pump. I'd increase your frequency as well. This split is good for BB but not really for powerlifting. I'd recommend something like:

Week 1:
Monday:
Heavy Deadlift
Light Bench
Pull Accessory
Lower Minor Accessory

Tuesday:
Heavy Overhead Press
Light Pull
Push Accessory
Upper Minor Accessory

Wednesday:
Heavy Squat
Pull Accessory
Upper and Lower Minor Accessory

Thursday (optional):
Light Overhead Press
Push, Pull, Upper and Lower Minor Accessory

Friday:
Medium Squat
Light Deadlift
Heavy Shrugs
Pull Accessory
Lower Minor Accessory

Saturday:
Heavy Bench
Light Overhead Press
Push Accessory
Upper Minor Accessory

Monday:
Heavy Squat
Medium Deadlift
Light Overhead Press
Lower Minor Accessory

Tuesday:
Medium Bench
Heavy Pendlay Rows
Push and Pull Accessory

Wednesday (optional):
Push, Pull, Lower and Upper Accessory

Thursday:
Light Squat
Heavy Deadlift
Light Overhead Press
Light Pull
Upper Minor Accessory

Friday:
Heavy Bench
Push and Pull Accessory
Lower Minor Accessory

Saturday:
Heavy Overhead Press
Heavy Shrugs
Lower and Upper Minor Accessory

Heavy: 6-10x2-4 always over 85%
Medium: 4-6x6 maybe 75% I guess not a hard and fast number
Light: 3x8

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 03:27:14 AM »
impressive numbers oni and good advice i think too...

Mr.Olegowitsch

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 02:34:57 PM »
My best deadlift is 240kg at 68.8kg and I missed 250kg at the meet, no deadlift bar it was a pendlay bar. Competing in December at 75kg and aiming for 270kg with the deadlift bar
Honestly if you're going after strength then it's not ideal at all. Break your ass on ONE exercise then get a max pump. I'd increase your frequency as well. This split is good for BB but not really for powerlifting. I'd recommend something like:

Week 1:
Monday:
Heavy Deadlift
Light Bench
Pull Accessory
Lower Minor Accessory

Tuesday:
Heavy Overhead Press
Light Pull
Push Accessory
Upper Minor Accessory

Wednesday:
Heavy Squat
Pull Accessory
Upper and Lower Minor Accessory

Thursday (optional):
Light Overhead Press
Push, Pull, Upper and Lower Minor Accessory

Friday:
Medium Squat
Light Deadlift
Heavy Shrugs
Pull Accessory
Lower Minor Accessory

Saturday:
Heavy Bench
Light Overhead Press
Push Accessory
Upper Minor Accessory

Monday:
Heavy Squat
Medium Deadlift
Light Overhead Press
Lower Minor Accessory

Tuesday:
Medium Bench
Heavy Pendlay Rows
Push and Pull Accessory

Wednesday (optional):
Push, Pull, Lower and Upper Accessory

Thursday:
Light Squat
Heavy Deadlift
Light Overhead Press
Light Pull
Upper Minor Accessory

Friday:
Heavy Bench
Push and Pull Accessory
Lower Minor Accessory

Saturday:
Heavy Overhead Press
Heavy Shrugs
Lower and Upper Minor Accessory

Heavy: 6-10x2-4 always over 85%
Medium: 4-6x6 maybe 75% I guess not a hard and fast number
Light: 3x8

Impressive deadlift, Oni! Thanks for the tips and the workout suggestion... really appreciate it!  

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 05:03:23 AM »
No worries, the program is hard work but it pays off. I make sure to get in at least 2g/lb in protein a day to support this but honestly at the moment I am taking in around 450g of protein a day lol. Some say it's too much or not needed but I still manage to eat on $5 a day including shakes so fuck em! Average calories is around 3500kcal and I am leaning out.

Hope you get your 300kg deadlift soon, the diet stuff above should be a good indicator on how much you need to eat. When I get sick of eating I fine the good expensive ice cream goes down well. 1L is 1000kcal with most of the nice, creamy stuff. The cheap plain stuff that isn't as tasty or creamy isn't as anabolic imo lol. You need the fancy flavours like cookies and cream or caramel honey macadamia for the best gains

Good luck!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 06:07:23 AM »
No worries, the program is hard work but it pays off. I make sure to get in at least 2g/lb in protein a day to support this but honestly at the moment I am taking in around 450g of protein a day lol. Some say it's too much or not needed but I still manage to eat on $5 a day including shakes so fuck em! Average calories is around 3500kcal and I am leaning out.

Hope you get your 300kg deadlift soon, the diet stuff above should be a good indicator on how much you need to eat. When I get sick of eating I fine the good expensive ice cream goes down well. 1L is 1000kcal with most of the nice, creamy stuff. The cheap plain stuff that isn't as tasty or creamy isn't as anabolic imo lol. You need the fancy flavours like cookies and cream or caramel honey macadamia for the best gains

Good luck!

that's a lot of protein unless you are on gear... i've never found that more than 200-250g did anything other than make me fart

i like to round out my calorie with healthy fats rather than crap... you can add 300 calories with 3 rounded tablespoon of lard/butter/coconut oil to any meal... i eat mostly meat and cruciferous and lots of meat otherwise... some complex carbs but not much

personally i find this to be a very anabolic diet

Mr.Olegowitsch

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 04:20:52 PM »

Good luck!

Thanks Oni! I can only agree with what you said about dat dere ice cream... got to get those fancy flavours in for max recovery and muscle growth! :D

Mr.Olegowitsch

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »

that's a lot of protein unless you are on gear... i've never found that more than 200-250g did anything other than make me fart

i like to round out my calorie with healthy fats rather than crap... you can add 300 calories with 3 rounded tablespoon of lard/butter/coconut oil to any meal... i eat mostly meat and cruciferous and lots of meat otherwise... some complex carbs but not much

Yeah, that a whole fuckin lot of protein!!! :D For me about 200 g are easily enough.

I don't eat a lot of  meat like you... if i wouldn't do any kind of strength training i probably wouldn't eat it at all lol. I get my protein for a big part out of milk products and i also consume a lot of carbs.

However, good idea with adding some healthy fats to the meals!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 05:36:40 PM »
Yeah, that a whole fuckin lot of protein!!! :D For me about 200 g are easily enough.

I don't eat a lot of  meat like you... if i wouldn't do any kind of strength training i probably wouldn't eat it at all lol. I get my protein for a big part out of milk products and i also consume a lot of carbs.

However, good idea with adding some healthy fats to the meals!

nothing wrong with dairy

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 03:59:31 PM »

I ketogenic diet because carbs stop me from being hungry. I have a weekly carb up but after my next meet I am going to drop it completely just to see what happens.
So it's hard for me not to have protein high really. Plus the more protein I eat, the more gluconeogenesis I get (the body turns the protein into glucose) which then refills my muscle glycogen but not my liver glycogen keeping me in ketosis and full to support heavy training. Honestly I have the weekly carb up out of fear I'll lose my gains- and I love pizza and ice cream. After the meet in December though I'll trial a fully ketogenic diet. Apparently shit gets really good after about 6 weeks. I'm sure Christmas will fuck that up so I guess it starts getting "real" in January

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 04:56:26 PM »
when i went ketogenic last year it took 3-5 days to get into ketosis each time dude... i used a ketone meter

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 09:41:16 PM »
when i went ketogenic last year it took 3-5 days to get into ketosis each time dude... i used a ketone meter

Yep, I am in ketosis the day after a carb up. But a lot of the metabolic changes only happen after 3 weeks of continued ketosis. At 6 weeks things really start getting great apparently. But with the weekly carb ups I'll not know until I take the plunge

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 02:51:42 AM »
Yep, I am in ketosis the day after a carb up. But a lot of the metabolic changes only happen after 3 weeks of continued ketosis. At 6 weeks things really start getting great apparently. But with the weekly carb ups I'll not know until I take the plunge

nothing really happened for me except for continuously low blood sugar and high ketones when i tested... not sure that that's a very good anabolic environment

my blood pressure also trended up while in ketosis (not sure why)

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »

nothing really happened for me except for continuously low blood sugar and high ketones when i tested... not sure that that's a very good anabolic environment

my blood pressure also trended up while in ketosis (not sure why)

What were your macros, body weight and daily calories like?
I am pretty much 1:1 protein:fat. Which works out at about half as many grams of fat as protein

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 02:31:26 AM »
What were your macros, body weight and daily calories like?
I am pretty much 1:1 protein:fat. Which works out at about half as many grams of fat as protein

i was eating 60% fat, 40% protein, moderate sodium intake, BF was at about 14%, daily calories were approx 3000...

sure i could have cut calories down further but what i am suggesting is that calorie reduction is calorie reduction... macros are far less important than food quality

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 10:44:20 PM »
i was eating 60% fat, 40% protein, moderate sodium intake, BF was at about 14%, daily calories were approx 3000...

sure i could have cut calories down further but what i am suggesting is that calorie reduction is calorie reduction... macros are far less important than food quality

3000kcal is pretty low for a ketogenic diet, imo
For glycogen synthesis you need plenty of calories for the body to turn into glucose and refill the muscles glycogen.
Some people find high fats better, others high protein. Jamie Lewis, like myself likes a 1:1 ratio with a weekly carb up. Jamie Caporosso rocks 165 grams of protein, 275g from fat, 20g from carbs with no carb up.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 01:55:27 AM »
3000kcal is pretty low for a ketogenic diet, imo
For glycogen synthesis you need plenty of calories for the body to turn into glucose and refill the muscles glycogen.
Some people find high fats better, others high protein. Jamie Lewis, like myself likes a 1:1 ratio with a weekly carb up. Jamie Caporosso rocks 165 grams of protein, 275g from fat, 20g from carbs with no carb up.

regardless... in reading about the science behind 'keto' i found it to be long on fairy tales and short on reality

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/604glycogenesis.html

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 11:12:18 PM »

regardless... in reading about the science behind 'keto' i found it to be long on fairy tales and short on reality

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/604glycogenesis.html

Not sure what you're saying with that link really. Keto isn't some magic diet, far from it.... It's just a convenient way to get leaner and stronger at the same time. I can eat more on a ketogenic diet as well. The body breaking down protein for energy isn't a problem if dietary protein is kept high. There is a second way as well, and that is dropping protein to tragically low levels and increasing fats. The more protein you eat, the better your body gets at using protein for energy. The same goes for protein and fats. If you don't like the idea of your body being an amino acid burning machine then simply reduce the protein and increase fats and it will use FFA for energy. Glycogen synthesis would still be fine as well, so no need for a carb up. Triglycerides will split into glycerol and undergo glycolosis. The other half of the triglycerides, FFA, will undergo beta oxidation to acetyl CoA and then go on into the citric acid cycle.

I honestly can't say why you went hypo. You shouldn't be hypo because of glucagon. Eggs can send me hypo if I eat them without fats due to their high leucine content- but that's OK. I just have some eggs before I go and train and drink a protein shake with some glutamine (for glycogen) in it on the way to the gym and I am good to go.

And again, I 100% agree that calories come first, then macros. But 3500kcal a day in McDonalds gave me shitty results compared to 3500kcal in chicken wings. You need to find what works for you in the long term. Back to the main point before this went into a keto debate though, I think a strength athlete should really be getting in 2g/lb in protein a day minimum. Although I have to concede that plenty of keto dieters halve this and double fats with great results. But if you're a non-keto dieter then you should push protein as high as possible really. I have no idea why people try and get away with as little as possible, it makes no sense at all in my head. Looks a lot like loss aversion really.